SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

All PT clubs should have mothballed, while all the rest split into two leagues until COVID is over with financial support provided to any club that needs it. There really was a very simple solution to all of this.

Yes, there was a VERY simple solution that would do no harm. The only individuals that couldn’t see it were the chair men of certain clubs and spfl. Everyone could see it, pundits, fans, my 12 yer old daughter. 
Now what are we looking at? Voiding bottom 2 leagues? No promotion or relegation?... where does that leave the bottom teams in the Championship and Prem? Where does that leave us?

If promotion and relegation goes ahead on ppg... can you really see teams (who have chairmen on the spfl) being relegated? Nope, me neither. 
What will the spfl do? Well, whatever they come up with, you can be sure they’ll be blaming the SG!

How much longer can this organisation carry on? Look at the mess... Scottish football is an embarrassment and a disgrace and those at the top should be emptied now!

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

This does give me the fear about no promotion from the championship. Don’t trust them one bit

If they stop these leagues now that means null and void. It doesn't affect the championship at all, aside from ****ing Alloa getting away with no relegation. Promotion and relegation don't have to both happen as the SPFL proved by allowing Brechin to avoid playoffs that could have seen them go down.

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Indeed.  But also consider that there were a number of clubs in the Premiership at the start who would have considered themselves as possible relegation contesting clubs.  Maybe about 6 of them.  Every one of them would have welcomed some degree of mutual interest understanding.  It's entirely feasible that clandestine co-operative discussions took place in this regard.  A nod and a wink to work together to cause a no-relegation season,  given the opportunity if it presented itself.

"Now is not the time" didn't necessarily means the time was not right for reconstruction.  The real "now is not the time" always meant that the time wasn't right to scrap relegation from the Premiership.  The schemers weren't threatened by relegation back then.  They were when the new season started.

Yeah, I remember when AB was trying to come up with reconstruction, that rat from Ross County stated that he thought recon should happen, not last season, but this season - as he obviously knew he would be fighting relegation. 
At that time, what worried me most was not so much being in the Championship... but something being implemented to block our promotion out of it, this season. And here we are again...

I find it astonishing that what we’ve been discussing on these last two thread pages.. you’ll find about 1000 pages back. We called everything almost a year ago. We all knew what was going to happen, and I think there is a very real chance we’re about to be screwed over again. 
There’s quite a few on here that thought that Celtic trying to have the league voided was a ‘conspiracy’... I think what we’re seeing now is the next best thing. The domino effect could be catastrophic. 

kingantti1874
37 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

This does give me the fear about no promotion from the championship. Don’t trust them one bit

they already argued at court that promotion and relegation was fundamental. The leagues will complete. We will go up.

I think paranoia is getting on top of some. Would clubs in the premier league vote to end the season early and cost themselves even more money ? no - they will play a full season.  

Would championship clubs vote for another season without chance of promotion? No

There would be no legal rationale to deny promotion, the premier league and the championship will complete the seasons we 

Edited by kingantti1874

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

they already argued at court that promotion and relegation was fundamental. The leagues will complete. We will go up.

If we finish our fixtures, and it looks like we will, then I agree there will be promotion to the Premiership. 

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

If we finish our fixtures, and it looks like we will, then I agree there will be promotion to the Premiership. 

They also argued (in court I think) that null and void was unfair and 75% of games played was an acceptable number at which to award titles and demote and promote teams. We're very close to that.

Has anyone asked Dundee when they are making those solidarity payments to 'relegated' clubs that they claimed were on the way back in April? I'm sure Partick and Stranraer could really do with that money about now. If anyone knows a journalist, maybe they could suggest they ask this.

This was from the statement they made patting themselves on the back for their great decision to change the vote. It also finished by telling us that Celtic had acted with "complete professionalism".

"...it is our duty to attempt to ensure that the future of Scottish Football remains promising for all the clubs.  To that end, we have worked tirelessly to achieve solutions to help those who were being disadvantaged and sought ways to help them.  We have discussed options with a variety of member clubs to show solidarity to the clubs most negatively impacted by the SPFL proposal.  Relegated clubs must have financial assistance to help soften the landing so they can begin the next season on more equitable footing.  Through our discussions it appears that there is an appetite to provide various forms of support from other member clubs if these clubs are in fact relegated.  Further details of these acts of kindness and solidarity will be worked out amongst the member clubs."

https://dundeefc.co.uk/news/club-statement-26/

It doesn't matter what was argued in court last time.  It doesn't matter what precedents,  principles and such like were set or argued for.  This is a members' club organisation that votes on an issue by issue basis,  as was hammered home at our expense last time.  A whole new narrative can be created and spun out to suit any particular interest.

There's no going to court this time.  That ship sailed and was scuttled,  never to sail again.  There's little to prevent the same protectionist racket making a another appearance.

Hands up if you think that club chairmen are going to stop and think "I better have a review of all the things I said and argued for last time.  Oh dear... this doesn't help me now... but I have a duty,  nay a moral obligation to stick to what I said.  Damn my soul for being a man of integrity".

42 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It doesn't matter what was argued in court last time.  It doesn't matter what precedents,  principles and such like were set or argued for.  This is a members' club organisation that votes on an issue by issue basis,  as was hammered home at our expense last time.  A whole new narrative can be created and spun out to suit any particular interest.

There's no going to court this time.  That ship sailed and was scuttled,  never to sail again.  There's little to prevent the same protectionist racket making a another appearance.

Agree.... but Leagues 1 & 2 didn’t vote to halt their leagues. That was decided for them. 
This cabal will do what they want, and bend any narrative they see fit to get their own way as you say. 
This isn’t paranoia, they got what THEY wanted last year!

Glamorgan Jambo

It’s remarkable how many members of the SPFL board come from clubs currently bottom of their leagues (Brechin, Alloa and Hamilton). These guys will do anything to survive. Still not decided where the call

for the vote on suspending the championship (based on a tabloid interview with Robbo came from) although it appears more cock up than conspiracy just now (Alloa chairman is also Vice President of the SFA who apparently made the odd request)

Jim McIntyre now crying about being treated unfairly, remind me again what his stance was against us last season? Canny mind.

18 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

Jim McIntyre now crying about being treated unfairly, remind me again what his stance was against us last season? Canny mind.

Where is he now?

And he’s not praying!
20 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

Paraphrasing here but this cretin used language like ‘I hope we make her pay’ when talking about AB’s reconstruction proposal.

I’m not going looking for it, will only get angry again.

kingantti1874
4 hours ago, Victorian said:

you are right but!!

Last time it was ALL about Celtic pulling the strings to protect 9IAR.  This time - there is no advantage to any clubs outside Hamilton and Ross County. The leagues therefore will finish within the parameters agreed at the outset. 

from a championship perspective.  What is the advantage of no promotion? Why would they vote for another year of hearts effectively removing the prospect of promotion for another years.

relax.. we will be promoted. 

33 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

Paraphrasing here but this cretin used language like ‘I hope we make her pay’ when talking about AB’s reconstruction proposal.

I’m not going looking for it, will only get angry again.

Wow

Get the feeling there will be a push for reconstruction near the end of the season. This will bring the rat teams who voted against us inline as there will be no choice. 

The thinking will be that even Hearts wont stand in the way of Partick and Falkirk getting moved up because of restructuring.

14/14/14 will be back on the table no doubt. 

1 hour ago, gordiegords said:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/peterhead-fc/peterhead-boss-jim-mcinally-hearts-owner-budges-reconstruction-plan-shows-total-disregard-for-lower-league-sides/

It was Jim Mcinally that wanted Ann Budge to be made to pay the price.

16 minutes ago, Rods said:

Get the feeling there will be a push for reconstruction near the end of the season. This will bring the rat teams who voted against us inline as there will be no choice. 

The thinking will be that even Hearts wont stand in the way of Partick and Falkirk getting moved up because of restructuring.

Surely the same Premiership teams would still be against it so it would be a non-starter. It wasn't even close last season.

6 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Surely the same Premiership teams would still be against it so it would be a non-starter. It wasn't even close last season.

Wouldn't be so sure... 3 out of the 4 relegation spots are held by teams with chairmen on the spfl board. This would save them all. Top 2 from the Championship promoted, top 6 from league 1 promoted and then league 1 and 2 amalgamate. It actually wouldn't be the worst plan in the world. But we all knew that last year - nobody would be 'hurt'.

Only downside is that Brechin are saved yet again.

SectionDJambo
4 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

It was always McInally. Just a simple mix up with Jim McIntyre.

The crucial part of this is that, once again, Brechin City, are looking like benefiting from a situation manipulated by the SPFL board, on which the Brechin chairman sits. Alloa Athletic are also chaired by an SPFL board member, and could benefit unfairly.

Nobody seems to know what is going on within the sub committee that is the JRG. Nothing ever seems to be made public about what they are up to, except when they attempt to deflect blame for their actions.

Are the clubs in the lower leagues just going to shrug their shoulders again?

Probably.

Many of them will know that the whole entity is a secret society to protect the ones who suck up to the elephant in the room. There is never any embarrassment from the SPFL, SFA or JRG, and the hopeless Scottish sports media is too afraid to question it, for whatever reason. Hence the likes of Doncaster frequently get interviewed, with a pre agreed agenda, by Dick Gordon and company, who are just hopeless.

Scottish football is probably more corrupt, in my opinion, in decision making now, than at any other time in it's history. And that is saying something.

7 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Wouldn't be so sure... 3 out of the 4 relegation spots are held by teams with chairmen on the spfl board. This would save them all. Top 2 from the Championship promoted, top 6 from league 1 promoted and then league 1 and 2 amalgamate. It actually wouldn't be the worst plan in the world. But we all knew that last year - nobody would be 'hurt'.

Only downside is that Brechin are saved yet again.

Except it would require the same majority vote by each Division. 

Every chance premier league clubs would be against, as they don't want to share the spoils with 2 more clubs

6 hours ago, Victorian said:

Of course it matters. Just because we lost out last time it doesn’t mean that route can never be taken again. Anyway it’s irrelevant because there is absolutely zero chance we will be denied promotion when we win the league. I’ve no doubt some chairmen will be thinking about it but it won’t happen. 

30 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Ah my bad! Mcinally it is

Jambo in Yorkshire

The SFA etc need to look at this, Serie D playing in Italy with at least 8 divisions with 18 teams in each one. How can Italy do it?

5AAD5E45-7BF7-417A-9FF6-CE5E63E29F5A.png

3 hours ago, Rods said:

this but 14 14 16 with colts 

3 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

You would hope so.

Reconstruction is a non starter and last season should be held up as an example.

There will be an Atlantic league before any league reconstruction in Scotland. Too many teams reliant on the OF coin to change the current setup. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56044619

The RFU council has scrapped relegation from the Premiership this season.

After a vote passed on Friday with a "strong majority", the league will expand to 13 teams next term, with one side promoted from the Championship.

There will then be engagement with the league's broadcaster, BT Sport, along with clubs, sponsors, players and fans on what happens for future seasons.

Concerns had been raised by BT Sport that the jeopardy of relegation added to the excitement of the season.

But those worries are understood to have been allayed by the assurance that putting a hold on relegation would apply only to this season.

The Covid-19 crisis has brought severe financial challenges to the clubs, while a points-based system has been used for deciding five matches that have been cancelled this season because of coronavirus outbreaks, which some argue makes relegating a club unfair.

Relegation from the Championship to National One has also been scrapped for this campaign, although the Championship season does not get under way until 6 March.

It means there will be 11 teams in the second tier of English rugby union in 2021-22.

23 hours ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

The SFA etc need to look at this, Serie D playing in Italy with at least 8 divisions with 18 teams in each one. How can Italy do it?

5AAD5E45-7BF7-417A-9FF6-CE5E63E29F5A.png

It's a regional league and they're all amateurs at that level. 

Footballfirst

A financial update from the sheep.  Sounds like they will be reporting a huge loss.

This pandemic has hit every club. This season’s projected cost of running Aberdeen FC is £14.1 million, with a wages to turnover ratio of 90%. With net season ticket income of £1.6million and net AberDNA income of £700,000 for 2020/21, never mind not knowing when we will be back in front of crowds, everyone is playing their part getting through the biggest challenge our Club has faced in its proud 117 year history. We’ve never gone into administration or been liquidated. While this means that we will continue to run Aberdeen FC as a sustainable club, like every board has done since 1903, we will strive to continue to invest in the football operation and fan engagement to meet our stated goals of aspiring to 15,000 season ticket holders. It’s going to take all of us to achieve this.

Geoff Kilpatrick
14 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

A financial update from the sheep.  Sounds like they will be reporting a huge loss.

This pandemic has hit every club. This season’s projected cost of running Aberdeen FC is £14.1 million, with a wages to turnover ratio of 90%. With net season ticket income of £1.6million and net AberDNA income of £700,000 for 2020/21, never mind not knowing when we will be back in front of crowds, everyone is playing their part getting through the biggest challenge our Club has faced in its proud 117 year history. We’ve never gone into administration or been liquidated. While this means that we will continue to run Aberdeen FC as a sustainable club, like every board has done since 1903, we will strive to continue to invest in the football operation and fan engagement to meet our stated goals of aspiring to 15,000 season ticket holders. It’s going to take all of us to achieve this.

Shame! :)

15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Sheep reporting huge losses because their fans decided not to support them financially this year. 

🤷‍♂️

Footballfirst

Some Aberdeen figures from 2019/20 for comparison.

Turnover - £14.335m (2021 forecast based on 90% wage ratio - £10,856m if wage bill is unchanged)

Operating Expenses - £17.251m (forecast £14.1m)

Loss for the year - £3.208m

Wages - £9,770m

Wage/Turnover ratio - 68%  (forecast 90%)

The wage bill may be lower than 2019/20 in the absence of the costs of running retail, hospitality, security etc.  If that is the case then the turnover will also fall from my projection above.

13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

😀 😂 ☺ 

I am speechless.   Maybe someone gave out a false name :disguise:

:smoking:   🚭

Edited by HMFC01

Am I right in thinking the only midweek Championship game this week is ICT v QOS?

Surely now that the cold weather is out of the way this week is a great opportunity to play some of the postponed games.

12 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Am I right in thinking the only midweek Championship game this week is ICT v QOS?

Surely now that the cold weather is out of the way this week is a great opportunity to play some of the postponed games.

That’s correct. The spfl schedules them. 

Footballfirst

Celtic losing money in the first half of 2020/21

The results for the six months ended 31 December 2020 show revenues of £40.7m (2019: £53.3m) and a loss before taxation of £5.9m (2019: profit of £24.4m). The loss from trading, representing the loss excluding player related gains and charges, amounted to £0.3m (2019: profit of £7.1m). Period end net cash at bank was £19.7m (2019: £32.9m). 

13 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Sheep reporting huge losses because their fans decided not to support them financially this year. 

🤷‍♂️

their aspiration is to have 15,000 ST holders 🤣🤣🤣.
Literally burst out laughing at that one. One of the funniest most ridiculous things I’ve read in a long time. Deary me. That board really are deluded  

Picture didn’t load but story from paper yesterday suggested league 1 and 2 have no way of restarting even with testing and fewer games

Edited by Newton51

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )