SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Scottish football being Scottish football no doubt Lawell will be replaced with the next Celtic lackey.

Regardless of the situation clubs find themselves in or maybe because of it , more of the same will ensue of that I have no doubt.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

30 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Doncaster must know where the skeletons are being hidden, or have some incriminating information about some of these people in a position of power within the SPFL. How else could anyone, so divisive, incompetent and lacking in progressive ideas keep a job that pays £400k plus bonuses?

They could employ a secretary at a quarter of his salary, without bonuses, to do the work he manages to get away with.

He's Lawwell's place man at the SPFL *AND* the SFA : Lawwell has publicly praised this leech , they protect each other.  Celtic/Lawwell have no time for the SFA and see ND as the power broker.

Just look at NDs bullshit comments re the 19/20 season and the "need" to have a "champion" to enter into the champions league. Which were subsequently shown to be nonsense given what happened in the Netherlands. 

It's all about Celtic. 

Borders Jambo

Is the page stuck?  Is that even possible?

I freely admit to being petty

Edited by Borders Jambo
spelling

2 hours ago, martoon said:

Surely clubs must have known, or at least suspected, that Covid could impact this season, too.

I did, JKB did, Hearts supporters and precious few others did.

But no, whether they considered it or not, they jumped into bed with Doncaster/Celtic/8.78iar, regardless.

Indeed, in many cases with relish. Various chairmen-come-pharmacists, clubs who grasped the chance to avoid relegation and/or play offs, Hibs, urged on by their scummy support, Dundee etc. all voted in their own short term interest or, in Hibs case, malice.

It was a no to reconstruction last season when empathy and decency were at stake. It was fair, they said, to relegate, or, rather, vote to demote, Hearts, Thistle and Stranraer and the prescription should be repeated.

"Take yer medicine, oot the game etc."?

They reaped it, they can sow it.

Fantastic post

100% get it up every one of them 

Just read  the "Sellick page" post about ND being allowed to engage a sports agency to do his job for him - and thought this part of his quote was priceless .... and sets a whole new level of brazenness  even for him -

"Scottish football clubs have a unique place in the hearts and minds of fans around the world and this season, despite the challenges being faced by all sports, we are delivering record TV viewing figures to back that up,” said SPFL Chief Executive, Neil Doncaster. 

Erm..... erm.....  nope, just lost for words at the brazen gall of the man for that beauty  :facepalm:

Edited by Lone Striker

1 hour ago, HMFC01 said:

"Liquor brand Glen becomes ‘spirit of SPFL’ in new partnership"

“It is fantastic to be able to welcome Glen’s Vodka and Loch Lomond Group as an Official SPFL Partner,” Neil Doncaster, SPFL Chief Executive, remarked. “This is the start of an exciting partnership with a well-respected Scottish brand that will see new commercial opportunities, including special edition products, for a number of SPFL clubs.

Glen's?  Well respected?

:rofl:

The undisputed Jakeball's Choice winner for the past 20 odd years.  I wouldn't even clean my windows with that chemical pish.

9 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Glen's?  Well respected?

The undisputed Jakeball's Choice winner for the past 20 odd years.  I wouldn't even clean my windows with that chemical pish.

Telling one my neighbours that I was going to nick some roadside grit from the end of the road to put over the pavement outside I'd cleared.

'You can but the is where 'x' throws his empty half bottles in every day'

Of course it's Glens he uses.

44 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Glen's?  Well respected?

wasnt it around 20 years ago they had to change their name to glens from grants, i think due to grants whisky

McInally, Peterhead once more seek to abandon ship and 18 games is not enough for him it seems

The lower-league season should be scrapped after its shutdown was extended into March, says Peterhead manager Jim McInally.

All levels below the Championship - as well as Scottish Cup ties and women's football - were paused on 12 January amid tighter coronavirus restrictions.

League 1 and 2 clubs had proposed the regular testing of players in an attempt to resume action this month.

"I would call it a day and put everyone out their misery," said McInally.

"I don't think they can keep dragging this out, because players need to know what they will be doing. There are mental health issues at stake here.

"For me, they need to put it to bed. Next season, we need to make sure financially we're okay.

"We were prepared to test, but that is just a waste of money for part-time clubs whose players then go to work."

McInally believes League 1 Peterhead and fellow lower-tier teams have been "discriminated against" by the Scottish FA's initial decision to stop them playing while allowing the Premiership and Championship to continue.

Leagues 1 and 2 are less than halfway through their truncated 27-game campaign, with clubs reportedly discussing the possibility of further shortening the season to 18 matches.

"I don't want to finish it with 18 games, that's not enough for a season," McInally added.

"Selfishly, I would love to keep playing because I'm really missing it, but I just think League 1 and 2 clubs have been unfairly treated.

"All football should have been shut down. When it wasn't, it become discriminatory against the lower leagues."

SPFL: Peterhead boss Jim McInally calls for lower-league season to be scrapped - BBC Sport

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 suspended )
2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

McInally, Peterhead once more seek to abandon ship and 18 games is not enough for him it seems

The lower-league season should be scrapped after its shutdown was extended into March, says Peterhead manager Jim McInally.

All levels below the Championship - as well as Scottish Cup ties and women's football - were paused on 12 January amid tighter coronavirus restrictions.

League 1 and 2 clubs had proposed the regular testing of players in an attempt to resume action this month.

"I don't think they can keep dragging this out, because players need to know what they will be doing. There are mental health issues at stake here.

"For me, they need to put it to bed. Next season, we need to make sure financially we're okay.

"We were prepared to test, but that is just a waste of money for part-time clubs whose players then go to work."

McInally believes League 1 Peterhead and fellow lower-tier teams have been "discriminated against" by the Scottish FA's initial decision to stop them playing while allowing the Premiership and Championship to continue.

Leagues 1 and 2 are less than halfway through their truncated 27-game campaign, with clubs reportedly discussing the possibility of further shortening the season to 18 matches.

"I don't want to finish it with 18 games, that's not enough for a season," McInally added.

"Selfishly, I would love to keep playing because I'm really missing it, but I just think League 1 and 2 clubs have been unfairly treated.

"All football should have been shut down. When it wasn't, it become discriminatory against the lower leagues."

SPFL: Peterhead boss Jim McInally calls for lower-league season to be scrapped - BBC Sport

He won’t be wanting his share of tv money then. The only reason the top two leagues are carrying in is because they are mainly full time and the tv contracts are at stake. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

He won’t be wanting his share of tv money then. The only reason the top two leagues are carrying in is because they are mainly full time and the tv contracts are at stake. 

He also has a memory problem...May 2020 he felt football behind closed doors was wrong and now he's missing football....he also seems think that it's all the fault of the bigger clubs who should have closed down in solidarity and testing players at part time level would be pointless.....oh and last season the reconstruction plans showed no regard to lower league clubs such as his own

Malinga the Swinga
9 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Should have campaigned for restructuring last year then when a 14-14-14 structure would have allowed these pish ridden no mark excuses for a football club a place to mothball for season, but no, they insisted they wee ready to play. 

No thoughts of impact on Partick or Falkirk or others who have been shit on by Peterhead and other pox stricken outfits. 

**** him and his club, I hope they go bust and are never seen again. Not that anyone would notice, such is their lack of any impact apart from their constant need to be heard. 

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

As a huge vodka fan, Glen’s really is shite. It does to vodka what Americans do to cheese. 

hear hear Glen's is absolute pish. can't beat a Grey Goose well you could but there would be feathers everywhere

21 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

He’s a throbber. 

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You won’t get many arguments around that.  😄

I remember his outspoken, desperate to be relevant nonsense during the debacle at the (premature) end of last season. He’s the coach of a club who average 400 fans a game. 400 ffs. 

Guest ToqueJambo
53 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

This is exactly why PT clubs should have their own league and governance body.

Guest ToqueJambo

I'm sure no Hearts, PT or Stranraer fans will have any sympathy for the bleating now coming from L1 and L2 clubs.

As if voting to relegate clubs in a pandemic and rejecting reconstruction (because now is not the time, like it's not an emergency one-off situation or anything) wasn't bad enough, the way clubs then put the boot in after those decisions had been made was incredible. 

Scottish football could *maybe* have redeemed itself by, following those decisions, rallying around the three clubs that were forced to take the pain for everyone and committing to helping them out financially and in other ways. They could even have got together and created a plan for the following season to ensure these clubs didn't;t suffer for more than one season, ie committing to reconstruction etc if COVID carried on.

Instead, we had taunts on Twitter from official accounts, chairmen mouthing off in the press and zero apologies, promises of compensation, or anything else from the people who run the game. 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm sure no Hearts, PT or Stranraer fans will have any sympathy for the bleating now coming from L1 and L2 clubs.

As if voting to relegate clubs in a pandemic and rejecting reconstruction (because now is not the time, like it's not an emergency one-off situation or anything) wasn't bad enough, the way clubs then put the boot in after those decisions had been made was incredible. 

Scottish football could *maybe* have redeemed itself by, following those decisions, rallying around the three clubs that were forced to take the pain for everyone and committing to helping them out financially and in other ways. They could even have got together and created a plan for the following season to ensure these clubs didn't;t suffer for more than one season, ie committing to reconstruction etc if COVID carried on.

Instead, we had taunts on Twitter from official accounts, chairmen mouthing off in the press and zero apologies, promises of compensation, or anything else from the people who run the game. 

The best thing said about this whole affair was posted on here when someone said that they had the chance to bring the Scottish football community together and shattered it.  

How they can expect any sympathy after that?   

Maybe this'll bring the changes our game desperately needs.  I doubt it but you never know.  

Under the floodlight
51 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I remember his outspoken, desperate to be relevant nonsense during the debacle at the (premature) end of last season. He’s the coach of a club who average 400 fans a game. 400 ffs. 

Peterhead have played more games than those underneath, if the team in playoff place and the above team win games in hand Peterhead are in playoff spot. Methinks McNally has his own agenda.

Just now, Under the floodlight said:

Peterhead have played more games than those underneath, if the team in playoff place and the above team win games in hand Peterhead are in playoff spot. Methinks McNally has his own agenda.

how does the points per game play out?

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Should have campaigned for restructuring last year then when a 14-14-14 structure would have allowed these pish ridden no mark excuses for a football club a place to mothball for season, but no, they insisted they wee ready to play. 

No thoughts of impact on Partick or Falkirk or others who have been shit on by Peterhead and other pox stricken outfits. 

**** him and his club, I hope they go bust and are never seen again. Not that anyone would notice, such is their lack of any impact apart from their constant need to be heard. 

Poetic.

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s really tight but I think fall into 2nd bottom. 

However I suspect they want the season null and voided. 

Footballfirst
5 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

Livingston vs Hamilton – Postponed

Wednesday, 10 February, 2021

Livingston FC regretfully announce that tonight’s Premiership clash against Hamilton Academical FC has been postponed due to the heavy snowfall of recent days. 

With between 3 & 4 inches of snowfall on Monday night and another 4 to 5 inches last night, the park has over 8 inches of snow currently lying on it, with more in other areas.

Trying to clear that amount of snow from the park is near impossible in the timescales involved and there is so much snow on the park that there is physically not enough room at the edges of the pitch to clear it to. A 15-metre test run in the car park left a 6ft snow pile – a clear indication that the issue would be the same at pitch side.

As soon as a rescheduled date has been confirmed, we’ll be sure to update you all on the club website and social media channels.

Not enough room at the side of the pitch?

There is a massive amount of room at the bottom of the stands. It is not as though there would be a safety issue for fans.

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Makes sense 👍

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

He also has a memory problem...May 2020 he felt football behind closed doors was wrong and now he's missing football....he also seems think that it's all the fault of the bigger clubs who should have closed down in solidarity and testing players at part time level would be pointless.....oh and last season the reconstruction plans showed no regard to lower league clubs such as his own

Spot on

Perhaps now is the time to remind him that relegation and promotion are the fundemental's of football.

48 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Spot on. It was a pathetic, sad, state of affairs handled appallingly by an inept, corrupt and incompetent ruling body to please one despicable club. 
Scottish football is tinpot, run for two clubs that think nobody can do without them. They’re very wrong, but getting the chairmen of most clubs to believe that, stands very little chance. Just pathetic. 

Hagar the Horrible

I think the Championship, D1 and D2 should all be just 18 games  it would be safer with promotion and relegation still happening, we are 1 point off winning the league and Brechin can still be relegated

Under the floodlight
25 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Clyde would be above .88 Peterhead  .84 Dumbarton .81

30 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Kind of relevant as we're slagging the SFA and co.

It's depressing to see the SFA seem to be intent on making the same mess of things wth Scottish women's football as they have with the men's game:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56003804

Said before and I’ll say it again. The sfa /spfl need taken down. Scottish football needs raised to the ground and re-born telling SKY to GTF with their 4 uglies games. The uglies are nothing if they don’t have a league to play in, it’s about time the tail stopped wagging the dog. 
It needs the likes of us, the sheep, Hubz, Motherwell to grow some balls and leave the league. 
Yeah, I know, never happen. Getting all riled up again thinking of last year! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬FTH🤬🤬🤬

22 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

But here’s the thing... would a team be promoted into the Championship? A relegation from the Championship? Would we be promoted? Would Brechin be dumped into the playoffs?

There could be a huge can of worms about to be opened up!

A_A wehatethehibs

Eject all non Professional clubs from the Scottish Professional Football League.

Direct them here -> https://www.scottishjuniorfa.com

SPFL = one 16 18 or 20 team league. Requirement for any promoted team must turn professional / full time. Top tier of the 'juniors' becomes the new Championship. 

45 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Not enough room at the side of the pitch?

There is a massive amount of room at the bottom of the stands. It is not as though there would be a safety issue for fans.

Build 10k and put one on each spare seat.

24 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Eject all non Professional clubs from the Scottish Professional Football League.

SPFL = one 16 18 or 20 team league. Requirement for any promoted team must turn professional / full time. Top tier of the 'juniors' becomes the new Championship. 

100% agree. Scottish football badly needs a meaningful refresh. 12/10 teams is unbelievably boring as it results in only 2 possible teams winning the league before a ball is even kicked. Moving to 18 takes enough points out of Glasgow for a Hearts/Aberdeen or Hibs(lol) to, if they were consistent enough outside of OF games, win the league. As things stand, its a forgone conclusion which offers no possibility for  Leicester style season. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Coming round to this way of thinking myself. Our demotion was always more serious than the ones in France and Belgium as those teams were relegated into leagues with all FT clubs. There was always a much bigger risk of not being able to play when in a league with PT clubs.

PT clubs can still play each other and enter the SC but if they want to play with the big boys, and have associated voting rights, they need to commit to being a FT club. The idea that a club like Peterhead or whoever can stop football for everyone and threaten people's careers is appalling.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Rods said:

Spot on

Perhaps now is the time to remind him that relegation and promotion are the fundemental's of football.

Yep, can't award titles without also relegating teams apparently.

Lower league sides lash out and ponder next steps as they eye 18-match season amid promotion threat

Untitled-design-2021-02-10T093534.993.pn

ANGRY League One and League Two sides are considering their next steps as they bid to complete their season after the suspension of football below the championship was extended into March. 

The SFA announced yesterday that the suspension of football - introduced last month - was being extended through to March 1 at the earliest.

League One and Two sides are coming up with a response to the SFA
League One and Two sides are coming up with a response to the SFA

We told you how this has left panicking clubs exploring the possibility of reducing their shortened 27-game campaign to just 18 matches in order to get the season completed. 

League One Clyde have played just EIGHT matches, while Dumbarton have completed just NINE.

But the Daily Mail claims that Championship clubs will OPPOSE promotion or relegation from or to League One if the season is shortened any further.

That could leave teams such as Partick Thistle, Airdrie, Falkirk and Queen's Park with little option other than to fight plans to leave them marooned in their respective leagues for another season.

Partick Thistle chief Jacqui Low
Partick Thistle chief Jacqui LowCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow

League bosses are confident that Scotland's top two divisions will be able to be played to completion.

A lower league working group consisting of Iain McMenemy (Stenhousemuir), Jim Brown (Edinburgh City), Jacqui Low (Partick Thistle), Martin Johnston (Peterhead) and Gordon Thomson (Clyde) held talks with the JRG on Monday evening.

They made a series of proposals, including spending £15,000 a month on Covid tests for players and extending the season until May 11 to facilitate a full 27 games after action resumed on March 2.

But the SFA statement said yesterday that the Government couldn't commit to any return date for part-time football until the prevalence of the virus falls further.

Clubs in Leagues One and Two are holding divisional Zoom meetings to consider their next move today, with a statement on behalf of all 20 clubs reading:  "League One & Two are bitterly disappointed at the decision to continue the suspension of football outwith the top two leagues.

Falkirk fear being marooned in League 1 for another seasonCredit: SNS Group

"As the window for restarting has reduced, we will now be pressing the Scottish FA and the SPFL to find ways of allowing our seasons to play to a conclusion when that suspension is eventually lifted."

Stirling Albion chairman Stuart Brown told the Daily Record that he was mystified by the decision. 

He said: "I'm utterly disappointed.

"My understanding is the initial decision in January was not enforced by the government but was a Joint Response Group decision.

"Now we have the Scottish government saying we can't return when in effect we have offered to do everything the Championship clubs are doing.

"I find it staggering in the extreme.

FALL GUY Celtic boss Neil Lennon questions SFA decision to carpet Ajeti as Hoops star cleared of diving ban

"It makes achieving a complete league programme verging on the impossible given that the statement actually says don't expect a return on March 1 - that's only the next update.

"The 20 clubs need to question not getting an update until March 1 - by then to some extent we get very close to the decision being made for us."

Stranraer chairman Iain Dougan added: "It doesn't make scientific sense - does Covid not affect Arbroath and Alloa who are part-time in the Championship?

"What they are also failing to realise is that the return to play plan would see around 600 part-time players and staff being tested every week."

Scottish Cup matches are also under threat, although the SFA are determined to play the tournament to a conclusion and have the luxury of arranging matches after the summer - as they did this season - if required.

Women's Football, the Highland and Lowland Leagues, the East , West and South of Scotland Leagues, Scottish Junior FA Leagues and the North Caledonian League are also on hold.

A statement from the SFA read: "In recent weeks, the Scottish FA has engaged extensively with clubs and leagues affected by the suspension of professional Football across the men's and women's game to discuss tailored return to playing plans for implementation when it is considered safe and appropriate to resume.

"We have also remained in regular dialogue with Scottish Government to ensure their input into and, ultimately, approval of those proposed plans.

"Regrettably, the government has confirmed that — in cognisance of the current restrictions in place across the country — they cannot currently commit to return dates for those affected leagues in the coming weeks.

"We will continue to speak with all parties in the meantime and will provide a further update by March 1."

This could be the card up the sleeve of certain Premiership clubs that was destined to be deployed.  Cause L1 and L2 to be scrapped due to insufficient time to complete it.  No promotion into the Championship,  therefore no relegation.  Next we'll be hearing that the already truncated Championship loses all sporting integrity legitimacy if there's no relegation... if there's no relegation out of it then there should be no promotion out of it.  

A domino effect of schemed,  planned out self interest is barrelling down the tracks.  

Guest ToqueJambo

All PT clubs should have mothballed, while all the rest split into two leagues until COVID is over with financial support provided to any club that needs it. There really was a very simple solution to all of this.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

All PT clubs should have mothballed, while all the rest split into two leagues until COVID is over with financial support provided to any club that needs it. There really was a very simple solution to all of this.

Definitely this. Self preservation league. All clubs were asked if they could fulfil games. Now clubs know there is no fans this season makes sense for those who can’t be promoted but could be relegated

18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This could be the card up the sleeve of certain Premiership clubs that was destined to be deployed.  Cause L1 and L2 to be scrapped due to insufficient time to complete it.  No promotion into the Championship,  therefore no relegation.  Next we'll be hearing that the already truncated Championship loses all sporting integrity legitimacy if there's no relegation... if there's no relegation out of it then there should be no promotion out of it.  

A domino effect of schemed,  planned out self interest is barrelling down the tracks.  

As things stand - Brechin at the bottom (as usual) and their chairman is on the spfl board. 
Alloa at the bottom of the championship and their chairman is on the spfl board. 
Hamilton at the bottom on the Prem and their chairman in on the spfl board.

....just saying. 

3 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

As things stand - Brechin at the bottom (as usual) and their chairman is on the spfl board. 
Alloa at the bottom of the championship and their chairman is on the spfl board. 
Hamilton at the bottom on the Prem and their chairman in on the spfl board.

....just saying. 

Indeed.  But also consider that there were a number of clubs in the Premiership at the start who would have considered themselves as possible relegation contesting clubs.  Maybe about 6 of them.  Every one of them would have welcomed some degree of mutual interest understanding.  It's entirely feasible that clandestine co-operative discussions took place in this regard.  A nod and a wink to work together to cause a no-relegation season,  given the opportunity if it presented itself.

"Now is not the time" didn't necessarily means the time was not right for reconstruction.  The real "now is not the time" always meant that the time wasn't right to scrap relegation from the Premiership.  The schemers weren't threatened by relegation back then.  They were when the new season started.

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )