SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

2 minutes ago, weegie jambo said:

This thing will go on for much, much, longer than a few months. From my point of view going out at all may not be an option until a vaccine is developed. Covid-19 does not go away even if the curve flattens out considerably. It's a risk I may have to think very seriously about taking.

UEFA seems to be suggesting that leagues will not be recognised unless they complete fully which is all well and good but it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Better to "null & void" and reconstruct and move on to a new season when it is safe to do so. UEFA should adopt this approach as these are unusual times and every country will be in different places re infection rates and population safety.

Who really cares about European competitions next season? There will be ridiculous travel restrictions in place everywhere with quarantine requirements no doubt.

The UEFA threats about european places are fairly empty threats if the competions are impractical for a couple of years.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

weegie jambo
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Who really cares about European competitions next season? There will be ridiculous travel restrictions in place everywhere with quarantine requirements no doubt.

The UEFA threats about european places are fairly empty threats if the competions are impractical for a couple of years.

Totally agree, suspend all European competitions for a couple of years. It only benefits a few mega rich clubs and isn't for the likes of Hearts. The only people who benefit is the greedy rich top 5 nations and the TV companies. It stopped being a fair competition for me when they started letting 4th placed clubs from the top 5 in. Champions League , my a***!

Enzo Chiefo
6 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Look at me everybody, I don't conform. Like Michael Gove, I've had "far too much of experts". 

Your RTA explanation is a false equivalence - and patently wrong.

Annual road deaths UK (2018):   1,784  Link: https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2019/09/27/uk-road-casualty-statistics-labelled-dsigraceful

Current UK coronavirus deaths: 4, 313  Link: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

We are no-where near the peak, either. I suggest that, you too, know very little about the subject matter since even a cursory glance at the readily available data would have illustrated that the surety and arrogant confidence of your position was not in any way matched by reality.

Unfortunately, that is the way of the internet and world these days - people espouse stuff with such brash, forceful surety that other folk swallow it and we end up with anti-vaxxers, anti-science and idiots setting mobile telecommunications masts on fire. 

Where did I say that I am not conforming. I work from home and stick to the rules . My point is that a long term lockdown is unsustainable and will result in many thousands of people breaking the rules. I would draw the line at a ban on outdoor exercise though. Any attempt by the government to ban that would be lunacy and probably illegal in a liberal democracy.. OK, I thought RTA figures would be a lot higher and accept that. I should have checked the data. However, the general point stands that many more people die from respirarory illnesses, sepsis, cancer each year than will die from this virus.

Enzo Chiefo
3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

My daughter, an ICU Nurse, can testify that this is more than scaremongering. I don't want to mention her again on a forum like this but I can assure you if the guidelines are not followed then this will go on longer than we can foresee.

Let's leave it at that.

Fair point Johno. Just to reiterate, I do stick to the rules, including working from home.  Finally, I think we are all really appreciative of the excellent job that your daughter and all her colleagues in the NHS do.

9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Where did I say that I am not conforming. I work from home and stick to the rules . My point is that a long term lockdown is unsustainable and will result in many thousands of people breaking the rules. I would draw the line at a ban on outdoor exercise though. Any attempt by the government to ban that would be lunacy and probably illegal in a liberal democracy.. OK, I thought RTA figures would be a lot higher and accept that. I should have checked the data. However, the general point stands that many more people die from respirarory illnesses, sepsis, cancer each year than will die from this virus.

What a moronic post. The last sentence shows that you have no grasp of what is going on. 

Enzo Chiefo
3 hours ago, Alva-Jambo said:

There is a chance to use the window of mid june to mid July to play the remaining matches however no-one knows how to stop the virus returning as soon as we all start going back to work or matches.  So it seems very unlikely. We may well be in lockdown for 9 months!  

To be fair, the Scottish scientist whose company in California are working on a vaccine - I can't remember her name right now - has previously stated that the virus could well disappear in the summer but may return in the winter. She also pointed out it could mutate and disappear altogether...."we might never see it again". The truth is that nobody, scientists included, knows what will happen .

Enzo Chiefo
5 minutes ago, karipidis said:

What a moronic post. The last sentence shows that you have no grasp of what is going on. 

Moronic how??  Banning outdoor exercise would be lunacy on stilts and would have worse repercussions than the virus itself. Feel free to disagree but the idea that there is only one solution to this or one school of thought as to the severity of it is, quite frankly, nonsense. 

Anyone any idea when the part time medical professors usually disappear from the thread  and  head back to other media platforms and  we get back on topic chatting football on a football forum ? 

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Moronic how??  Banning outdoor exercise would be lunacy on stilts and would have worse repercussions than the virus itself. Feel free to disagree but the idea that there is only one solution to this or one school of thought as to the severity of it is, quite frankly, nonsense. 

That is what has been done in the likes of Italy and Spain, so you are kidding yourself if you think it isn't an option if people won't obey the rules.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, ramrod said:

Anyone any idea when the part time medical professors usually disappear from the thread  and  head back to other media platforms and  we get back on topic chatting football on a football forum ? 

This.

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, jonnothejambo said:

I know, mate. Sorry I got a bit tetchy.

Totally understandable mate. Me too .

Presumably the mods are in self isolation. Nothing else can explain the huge number of posts that have nothing to do with the subject.

55 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Firstly, you mentioned conformity in a barb so it's logical to assume the writer does not adhere to the same pattern of behaviour as everyone else. I'm glad you are sticking to the rules - we all have to stay the course here.

Secondly, RTA deaths are much lower - yet you posted as if a lofty expert which really grinds my gears, the manner in which people claim to be an authority whilst berating others "lack" of knowledge. If that wasn't the intent then I apologize for a robust response. 

Thirdly, throwing in all the other things that will kill us annually is a strawman fallacy - we already do our best to mitigate these factors and are successfully doing so with things like vaccines, better medications, screening, new therapies and better lifestyle choices. This current pandemic has the capacity to kill off a massive swathe of society on top of the current usual death rate - which will cost society a whole lot more than having to reboot the economy. 

I don't disagree with the point on attempting to ban exercise in the same way I'm livid at celebrities getting tests when nurses can't, members of the Royal family can flout the rules and that idiotic CMO completing undermining all of her public advice.

We have to stay the course here until we plateau or the virus dies off, assuming it does establish a seasonal pattern. Then we can re-assess, hopefully with a vaccine undergoing testing and some of the potential therapies like the anti-flu drug favipiravir have been hopefully proven as effective treatments (anecdotal testing has shown a pattern of reducing viral load an recovery from 11 days down to 4). 

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Presumably the mods are in self isolation. Nothing else can explain the huge number of posts that have nothing to do with the subject.

It’s laughable how this thread has went of topic.

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The worst thing about This thread  is the number of posts from people with zero knowledge of virology, yet spout as if they were oracles. Mods please kill this now.

upgotheheads
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Yup, I was about to make a comment on how Covid19 will lead to a better world. Won't bother now.

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

so people suggesting we will go back to work before a vaccine is discovered which as a result many thousands will die. Think the numbers were put at 200,000 to 500,000 before the Government back tracked from herd immunity as hospitals would be totally over whelmed and business would have ground to a halt anyway. In other words collateral damage to protect big business. In the World wars mainly young people got killed as cannon fodder now it's the time for auld codgers to make the ultimate sacrifice. You couldn't make up this stuff. No doubt money will be put before people's health 

Money vs people's health really isn't the issue. A lockdown until a vaccine is available might save lives. It's impact on the world economy could, probably would,  cost many more.

Nookie Bear

There IS only one topic right now. It’s a shadow over literally everything we do right now, 24/7. 

It’s therefore natural that any discussion will turn the way it has. 

So, unless you are willing to post your scientific credentials...stop whinging, you tarts. 

42 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

There IS only one topic right now. It’s a shadow over literally everything we do right now, 24/7. 

It’s therefore natural that any discussion will turn the way it has. 

So, unless you are willing to post your scientific credentials...stop whinging, you tarts. 

Most of us aren't  interested in a few goons trying to sound knowledgeable and full of their own importance taking a footballing thread miles of topic with their ill informed drivel . 

There is plenty opportunity on other media platforms or indeed threads in the shed to fuel their egos . 

I come on specific threads to get information on Hearts and Scottish Foorball in general to get some relief from what's happening not to read ill informed pish . 

The mods should really be getting on top of it tbh . 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Most of us aren't  interested in a few goons trying to sound knowledgeable and full of their own importance taking a footballing thread miles of topic with their ill informed drivel . 

There is plenty opportunity on other media platforms or indeed threads in the shed to fuel their egos . 

I come on specific threads to get information on Hearts and Scottish Foorball in general to get some relief from what's happening not to read ill informed pish . 

The mods should really be getting on top of it tbh . 

This.

Jambo 4 Ever
9 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Keeping  on Topic, Football will return around September/October  But I hope the league is declared null and void,  Celtic NOT crowned champions and we stay up.  The seethe will be magical.

Bonus would be league reconstruction,  Sevco going bust, Hibs in serious financial meltdown and all redtop newspapers going completely out of business for life  more so the SUN.  And FFS back to talking about Brexit!!!!

Seriously though Lets just hope though for a return to normality as soon as we can and folk just do the right thing and stay at bleeding home!!! and this will be a shorter nightmare if we do! Football will however be transformed, lets just make it for the better.

I will just settle for this website doing something about the constant resizing of adds making the screen unreadable

You don’t know that 

12 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

You don’t know that 

because it won’t.  Scottish football is done for the year. We’ve budgeted for that.  

Scottish football won’t do it but we could finish season behind closed doors latter end of July/early aug. Games could be televised (pay for view) which would restart revenue streams. I know tv contracts are in place but everyone is currently in a lose situation so need to rethink how that could change. 
Will be able to make an informed decision end of April as covid is due to have peaked mid/end month. However we are talking about the total idiots that run Scottish football so any reasonable option will be ignored. 

25 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Scottish football won’t do it but we could finish season behind closed doors latter end of July/early aug. Games could be televised (pay for view) which would restart revenue streams. I know tv contracts are in place but everyone is currently in a lose situation so need to rethink how that could change. 
Will be able to make an informed decision end of April as covid is due to have peaked mid/end month. However we are talking about the total idiots that run Scottish football so any reasonable option will be ignored. 

Its a complete non starter.

Social distancing will be in place, which means no player could stand within 2 metres of another to start with.  Then there is the lack of player insurance, breaking current TV contracts, players out of contract, .....

Pay per view could only ever be internet based as you won't get the likes of Hamilton vs St Mirren on Sky Box Office.  Income from that wouldn't cover the wages of the players on the park.

Edited by frankblack

maroonsgotop

apparently the EPL are in advanced talks with the Government to restart their league in mid June playing games behind closed doors (Daily Mirror claim)

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

apparently the EPL are in advanced talks with the Government to restart their league in mid June playing games behind closed doors (Daily Mirror claim)

I hope the government tells them to bolt.  Selfish pricks.

11 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

Sounds nonsense as there is no way that they could do this while we have safe distancing and isolation measures in force, and the players wouldn't be insured.

This reeks of desperation from clubs who are desperate for those Sky payment installments to restart.

16 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Social distancing will be in place, which means no player could stand within 2 metres of another to start with.  Then there is the lack of player insurance, breaking current TV contracts, players out of contract, .....

Pay per view could only ever be internet based as you won't get the likes of Hamilton vs St Mirren on Sky Box Office.  Income from that wouldn't cover the wages of the players on the park.

In relation to covid some relaxation of restrictions will be in place. All the other stuff is based on pre-covid world and that’s really my point. We are currently seeing Scottish and uk legislation temporarily  changed to get us through this. Contracts, insurance, etc could also be looked at. The driver will, eventually, be money. It always is 

2 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

In relation to covid some relaxation of restrictions will be in place. All the other stuff is based on pre-covid world and that’s really my point. We are currently seeing Scottish and uk legislation temporarily  changed to get us through this. Contracts, insurance, etc could also be looked at. The driver will, eventually, be money. It always is 

A contact sport like Football won't meet any social distancing requirements and will fall down if the £300k per week players can't get insurance let alone the 3k players.

Edited by frankblack

33 minutes ago, frankblack said:

We should be fine though as our defence has been practicing social distancing all season🧐

To make sure they get the money the EPL are looking foolish greedy and disgusting as teams and players looking to carry on as normal

Full proof money has indeed fecked the game there

32 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Social distancing will be in place, which means no player could stand within 2 metres of another to start with. 

Many of our players have been social distancing all season anyway so shouldn't be a problem for them.

Nookie Bear

In fairness to the EPL (!) i suspect a lot of businesses are looking at future income and making sure they are maintained. I have friends who work with Universities and Colleges and they are doing everything to make sure students are matriculating on schedule in Aug/Sep, even if it is online, as that keeps the fees rolling in.

No way will they postpone the start of the academic year until Oct or consider suspending the entire year.

However, UEFA and the EPL are particularly cynical!

Borders Jambo

The desperation on the part of the Scottish red tops to declare Celtic champions is laughable, coupled by their attempts to discredit our Club.

I would urge anyone with Hearts leanings to avoid the Sun and the Record, including the online editions despite their clickbait attempts.  

So the EPL want to televise behind closed doors games so that they dont have to repay a huge chunk of tv money. Imagine that there is a still a lockdown of sorts, vulnerable people still have to stay indoors, and on your tv is some f'ing football players dancing around a field cos they won the league/didnt get relegated. Now imagine that these same players are celebrating after thousands of people have been sick or died, businesses are collapsed/close to collapse and the economy is in bits. 

Parasites. F them. 

51 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

Aye because people are really going to tolerate football being an exception to restrictions they have to adhere to. You only have to look at how the SCMO got slaughtered yesterday to see that’s not happening. Closed doors games will only be backed when everyone else is free to go about their daily business. The government dare not and will not make an exception 

24 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

In fairness to the EPL (!) i suspect a lot of businesses are looking at future income and making sure they are maintained. I have friends who work with Universities and Colleges and they are doing everything to make sure students are matriculating on schedule in Aug/Sep, even if it is online, as that keeps the fees rolling in.

No way will they postpone the start of the academic year until Oct or consider suspending the entire year.

However, UEFA and the EPL are particularly cynical!

(Tangent, but... )

I work for UoE, and there’s all kinds of problems arisen from this. We are a relatively small college compared to say social sciences, but financially, academically, and logistically its a nightmare. As it stands we will probably have graduate entry programme (GEP) students (already have a degree in another/related  subject), but recruitment of first years is a big headache. Their final school exams probably aren’t going ahead in many cases. That means either going with their prelim results, or attempting to find ways of examining them virtually. Our college is ‘best of the best’ when it comes to student entry requirements, so obviously this could compromise things. 

I am working from home just now, and I have been asked to think up ways of delivering classes, in a way that would not contravene infection control measures like social distancing. I do a lot of work in imaging, particularly histology imaging, and I’ve created electronic versions of the histology slides that the students use in undergraduate histology practicals, and this could be done from their homes if they download the software necessary to view the files. The problems for putting on classes comes from gross anatomy, and clinical skills, as both of these can’t really be done remotely, for obvious reasons.
We were all set to put on clinical skills exams in the next few weeks and that has been halted now. I would normally be examining students on clinical skills, where they have to show their ability to perform ‘first day competencies’, the majority of these practical and cannot be simulated with any accuracy over a video link or via a computer model.

The GEP students pay an absolute fortune to study here, and that money props up the whole campus. If they don’t come, we are working with a real deficit.

My line manager works with student recruitment and normally flies to Asia about now to recruit from India, China and Singapore etc. That obviously isn’t going to happen now. Students will be recruited, but I don’t think we will see the numbers we normally do, and that will have a big financial impact. The standard of students might not be up to the usual highest standard in a few years time because of this, and you have to wonder if parents will want to pay the sort of fees that they are expected to, if the course is watered down too much.

34 minutes ago, Borders Jambo said:

I would urge anyone with Hearts leanings to avoid the Sun and the Record, including the online editions despite their clickbait attempts.  

It’s only when I come on here that I am aware of anything the Sun or other red tops are saying. I’m always surprised by how many Hearts supporters put money in to a paper that basically slags us and our club off every day. Why anyone would want to prop something like that up is beyond me.

15 hours ago, frankblack said:

That is what has been done in the likes of Italy and Spain, so you are kidding yourself if you think it isn't an option if people won't obey the rules.

Banned in Turkey now too. 

23 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Interesting games with 2 metre social distancing. 

There goes the Gegenpress.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

(Tangent, but... )

I work for UoE, and there’s all kinds of problems arisen from this. We are a relatively small college compared to say social sciences, but financially, academically, and logistically its a nightmare. As it stands we will probably have graduate entry programme (GEP) students (already have a degree in another/related  subject), but recruitment of first years is a big headache. Their final school exams probably aren’t going ahead in many cases. That means either going with their prelim results, or attempting to find ways of examining them virtually. Our college is ‘best of the best’ when it comes to student entry requirements, so obviously this could compromise things. 

I am working from home just now, and I have been asked to think up ways of delivering classes, in a way that would not contravene infection control measures like social distancing. I do a lot of work in imaging, particularly histology imaging, and I’ve created electronic versions of the histology slides that the students use in undergraduate histology practicals, and this could be done from their homes if they download the software necessary to view the files. The problems for putting on classes comes from gross anatomy, and clinical skills, as both of these can’t really be done remotely, for obvious reasons.
We were all set to put on clinical skills exams in the next few weeks and that has been halted now. I would normally be examining students on clinical skills, where they have to show their ability to perform ‘first day competencies’, the majority of these practical and cannot be simulated with any accuracy over a video link or via a computer model.

The GEP students pay an absolute fortune to study here, and that money props up the whole campus. If they don’t come, we are working with a real deficit.

My line manager works with student recruitment and normally flies to Asia about now to recruit from India, China and Singapore etc. That obviously isn’t going to happen now. Students will be recruited, but I don’t think we will see the numbers we normally do, and that will have a big financial impact. The standard of students might not be up to the usual highest standard in a few years time because of this, and you have to wonder if parents will want to pay the sort of fees that they are expected to, if the course is watered down too much.

Cheers for that, very interesting and mirrors what i have heard from elsewhere (Engineering, in particular). I also understand that a lot of the recruitment will be based on anticipated grades so the quality will suffer, not to mention the fact a lot of students are coming from China (obvious issues!) and the States (behind us in the curve and likely to suffer for longer).

1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

(Tangent, but... )

Im a bit confused by this.  You work for Univ of Edin?  You keep mentioning College?  There are no final exams for any S5 or S6 students.  Prelims are not being used to dictate final grades.  Teachers are recommending grades based on coursework over the year and their expectation of grade. SQA will award in most cases what those teachers recommend.  They will not be marking any further work or reviewing prelims.   I agree about all the issues with GEP and foreign students.  They in effect pay for the free education of scottish students, and its why Edinburgh and St Andrews have limited spaces for home grown talent. 

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, RonnieG said:

Im a bit confused by this.  You work for Univ of Edin?  You keep mentioning College?  There are no final exams for any S5 or S6 students.  Prelims are not being used to dictate final grades.  Teachers are recommending grades based on coursework over the year and their expectation of grade. SQA will award in most cases what those teachers recommend.  They will not be marking any further work or reviewing prelims.   I agree about all the issues with GEP and foreign students.  They in effect pay for the free education of scottish students, and its why Edinburgh and St Andrews have limited spaces for home grown talent. 

The University is divided into separate Colleges (Science & Engineering, Medicine etc)

As i understood it, it was a mix of prelims and coursework that was being used.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, RonnieG said:

College as in faculty

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

The University is divided into separate Colleges (Science & Engineering, Medicine etc)

As i understood it, it was a mix of prelims and coursework that was being used.

Ah gotcha.   Prelims are just an early indicator - they haven't completed the course at that point. Teachers have been advised to use coursework as the main guidance towards marks. Most S5s and S6s have already been given an indication from Teachers as to what will be presented. Then the SQA need to agree. 

1 minute ago, RonnieG said:

I work for the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (CMVM), one of the colleges of of the University of Edinburgh.

Different high schools in different countries are doing different things. In England for example my Niece doesn’t yet know what they are going to do as far as grades and exams go. They are discussing it at present and may go with the prelim results, or with teacher recommendations. Still undecided as of yesterday. Our college takes on students from all over the world, and different countries have yet to decide what direction they are taking.

Not going to go further off topic by getting in to the nuts and bolts of free education for Scottish students, other than to say we have a good proportion of Scottish students at our school.

IveSeenTheLight
7 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Not going to go further off topic by getting in to the nuts and bolts of free education for Scottish students, other than to say we have a good proportion of Scottish students at our school.

So Government funded?

3 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Not going to go further off topic by getting in to the nuts and bolts of free education for Scottish students

👍

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )