SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

4 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

second bottom of league 2. Wonder why this is? 

So, let me get this right.  It was OK to relegate teams last season when the league was stopped early with no watning whatsoever and a vote to do so was tied to prize money which no one had asked for and which hasn't been paid.

But this season, if teams play to an agreed number of games, shortened or not they'll know when the season will end what they need to do by then to stay up, that wouldn't be "fair"???

It's actually scary, isn't it!

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

3 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

As long as you finish above Brechin (or are Brechin) you're safe. And that's a 'spfl promise guarantee!'.

7 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Its unreal. 

The bed was made a long time ago now Albion. 

Deal with it. 

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

So, let me get this right.  It was OK to relegate teams last season when the league was stopped early with no watning whatsoever and a vote to do so was tied to prize money which no one had asked for and which hasn't been paid.

But this season, if teams play to an agreed number of games, shortened or not they'll know when the season will end what they need to do by then to stay up, that wouldn't be "fair"???

It's actually scary, isn't it!

You do wonder if they actually listen to their own words, coming out of their own mouths! 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

It is quite funny.

Isn't it! All these teams that couldn't wait to 'pull the ladder up' last season.... now know what is possible and are absolutely bricking it!

Glorious! Karma is a bitch ain't she?

TYM!

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Albion Rovers another just delaying the inevitable.

Heading for the Lowland League.

And I don't think they'd come back up from it very quickly either !!

1 minute ago, Jerah Jambo said:

That's the thing about Brechin, Albion etc.  The teams waiting to take their place are way better run clubs.  Look at how well Ed City etc have done.  If the teams at the bottom of L2 go down, they know they'll stay down.

And it's exactly what our game needs.  If they all refuse to change structure, then natural selection will at least see some of the nomarks washed away.

Out of interest, if Brechin go down, does that mean their guy also loses his spot  on the board and all his succulent lamb??

9 minutes ago, Jerah Jambo said:

Look at East Stirlingshire.   That'll be playing on their minds.  Tough.

Been said before, but there is no way a club like accrington Stanley would get to have a say in what happens to a multi million pound company like man u etc.

This pyramid system will get rid off clubs like albion rovers but sadly bot quick enough. 

Used to give credit to fans of these type of clubs but they can swing after what we've been put through. 

At least it'll save them the bus fares to Elgin.  

24 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Here's hoping. Scottish football is littered with these clubs .

Footballfirst

If Albion Rovers, Brechin or whoever want to scrap relegation and promotion then it should be at the cost of restructuring the leagues. The top two tiers should accommodate all the full time clubs (not necessarily excluding PT clubs), with possibly one national 3rd tier of part time clubs and regional leagues below that, but with multiple promotion/relegation spots to generate ambition and change.

Although I don't like it, you can stick with with a 12 team premiership, but leagues of 16 below that would give a sufficient number of games while coping with whatever the weather throws at us.  Had L1/L2 not been shut down by the SFA, they would hardly have played any games anyway, given the recent weather. 

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

The club who didn’t know how far north Brora was, and then declared they couldn’t afford a team bus and fish suppers for the players.

So Brora couldn’t be given the chance of promotion.

Some of these people should just keep their heads down and be quiet.

1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

The club who didn’t know how far north Brora was, and then declared they couldn’t afford a team bus and fish suppers for the players.

Comedy gold! 🤣🤣🤣... only in Scotland would a team come out with that nonsense! It's actually a stone-wall reason why they should be nowhere near a 'professional league'... ahem, cough... nearly choked saying that!

4 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

they should be happy in the lowland league with all of the teams based around them 

39 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

If Albion Rovers, Brechin or whoever want to scrap relegation and promotion then it should be at the cost of restructuring the leagues. The top two tiers should accommodate all the full time clubs (not necessarily excluding PT clubs), with possibly one national 3rd tier of part time clubs and regional leagues below that, but with multiple promotion/relegation spots to generate ambition and change.

Although I don't like it, you can stick with with a 12 team premiership, but leagues of 16 below that would give a sufficient number of games while coping with whatever the weather throws at us.  Had L1/L2 not been shut down by the SFA, they would hardly have played any games anyway, given the recent weather. 

Any restructure should only apply from the 2022/23 season. No way should the likes of Ross Co or Hamilton benefit from yet another scam like last season.

Footballfirst
26 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Any restructure should only apply from the 2022/23 season. No way should the likes of Ross Co or Hamilton benefit from yet another scam like last season.

Little argument on that, although it seems unlikely that the Championship will be terminated early, so there is no reason for promotion/relegation with the Premiership to be stopped. Therefore any restructure could happen for season 2021/22. 

Even in their extremely restricted form this season, Kelty and Brora are top of their leagues. It would be exceptionally unfair on them if their interests were ignored for a second season.

Edited by Footballfirst

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Little argument on that, although it seems unlikely that the Championship will be terminated early, so there is no reason for promotion/relegation with the Premiership to be stopped. Therefore any restructure could happen for season 2021/22. 

Even in their extremely restricted form this season, Kelty and Brora are top of their leagues. It would be exceptionally unfair on them if their interests were ignored for a second season.

Restructuring should happen... it was the correct answer last season and still the correct answer. 14-14-14 or, as you say 12-16-16. The only downside being Brechin are saved yet again (as things stand). Brora and Kelty should absolutely be given a pass followed by new guidelines for 'professional clubs' and separate guidelines and voting rights for 'semi-pro'.

The premiership should also be exclusively 'professional' with standards set for grounds, pitches etc.

Look at what happened to the smaller clubs that existed in Div 2 prior to the WWII break.  Many disappeared into lower league football and others just disappeared and are slowly making their way back due to loyal supporters.   The pyramid is misaligned and needs re-structured, the level of the pyramid are fine just clubs need to be allocated into their correct level.    Of all the clubs that played in Div 2 pre-war, only Dundee United have progressed as a club.

Queen's Park have taken a massive leap by selling Hampden, moving to a new built lesser Hampden and finding wealthy backers.  On the other hand Stenny, Annan, Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath and Brechin will follow East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers, with thriving clubs from the Lowland/Highland leagues replacing them.  New money to replace old money.

In simple terms Kelty will replace Cowdenbeath as the club from central Fife, Brora will replace Brechin.  East Kilbride will replace Albion Rovers.  Cumbernauld Colts will replace Clyde who will move back to a new Shawfield.   Bo'ness will replace Stenny as the club from the Falkirk area.  Caledonia Braves who play at Strathclyde Park are also a new club on the rise. 

My grandfather played for St Bernard's when they were based at the Royal Gymnasium Ground in Canonmills.  WWII saw them disappear when even the metal railings to their ground in Royal Crescent were taken away for the war effort.  As a lad living in Stockbridge my grandad would take me to King George V playing field to show me where St Bernard's played - I believe the gate to the ground still exists.

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

My grandfather played for St Bernard's when they were based at the Royal Gymnasium Ground in Canonmills.  WWII saw them disappear when even the metal railings to their ground in Royal Crescent were taken away for the war effort.  As a lad living in Stockbridge my grandad would take me to King George V playing field to show me where St Bernard's played - I believe the gate to the ground still exists.

image.jpeg.636b03716670e81b680cb3177daf63b3.jpeg

2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

That's right!!  Haha.  You actually couldn't make it up!!!  Trotted out all the time, but it's basically bowling club committees running (ruining) our game.

And there were teams like I'm sure it was Stranraer who very openly said they voted as they did to have Partick and Falkirk in their league for revenue reasons (not that that's worked out, but the point stands).  

The whole thing needs scrapped.

Agree with some of the suggestions above, but the facts are firstly with the voting as it stands, change can't really happen as you're looking at lots of turkeys voting for Christmas.  Remember the 14-14-14 proposal which was pretty fair but the L1 clubs all cabaled together to veto as it meant some of them would then be in the lowest division!

Then there's the elephant in the room that we can talk about 12-16-16. 14-14-14, 14-14-16, 18-12-12 and all that stuff and it'll all be better than now, but if there isn't personnel and governance change, it'll mean nowt.  There'll simply be different numbers of teams in each league.  We need real change.  The whole rulebook needs scrapped and rewritten.

I wouldn't usually be a fan of this sort of thing and we've tried in before, but we prob need need a proper breakaway, SPL1&2 with out commercial rights and inclusion criteria etc.  Then maybe a national league and then regionals below.  I'd prefer away from the splut, but 12-12-whogivesashit probably suits the number of pro clubs we have and can sustain

1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

It's a small world.  My grandfather, Tom Brandon, was the trainer for St. Bernard's in the mid-1920s.  Prior to that, he was trainer for HMFC.

The Brassnecks in the lower divisions starting to appear, as predicted last summer. Wonder if the chairmen of these teams have enough medicine.!?

59 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

The Brassnecks in the lower divisions starting to appear, as predicted last summer. Wonder if the chairmen of these teams have enough medicine.!?

Brassneck, brassneck.
I just decided I don't trust you anymore
I just decided I don't love you anymore

4 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Look at what happened to the smaller clubs that existed in Div 2 prior to the WWII break.  Many disappeared into lower league football and others just disappeared and are slowly making their way back due to loyal supporters.   The pyramid is misaligned and needs re-structured, the level of the pyramid are fine just clubs need to be allocated into their correct level.    Of all the clubs that played in Div 2 pre-war, only Dundee United have progressed as a club.

Queen's Park have taken a massive leap by selling Hampden, moving to a new built lesser Hampden and finding wealthy backers.  On the other hand Stenny, Annan, Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath and Brechin will follow East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers, with thriving clubs from the Lowland/Highland leagues replacing them.  New money to replace old money.

In simple terms Kelty will replace Cowdenbeath as the club from central Fife, Brora will replace Brechin.  East Kilbride will replace Albion Rovers.  Cumbernauld Colts will replace Clyde who will move back to a new Shawfield.   Bo'ness will replace Stenny as the club from the Falkirk area.  Caledonia Braves who play at Strathclyde Park are also a new club on the rise. 

Yeah it's a small world . I played for St Bernards back in the 80s for a while it was an amateur team then we where fairly successful winning leagues and cups , there was a guy that was around his late 50's that came to watch us most weeks as someone in his family used to play for the professional team back in the day, if my memory serves me correctly I'm sure he donated money for a full set of training gear. The  team used to invite him to our presentation nights, I spoke to him a lot really nice bloke true Gentleman.

31 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Brassneck, brassneck.
I just decided I don't trust you anymore
I just decided I don't love you anymore

Had to do a Google search but actually quite liked it!! 

5 hours ago, TheBigO said:

That's right!!  Haha.  You actually couldn't make it up!!!  Trotted out all the time, but it's basically bowling club committees running (ruining) our game.

And there were teams like I'm sure it was Stranraer who very openly said they voted as they did to have Partick and Falkirk in their league for revenue reasons (not that that's worked out, but the point stands).  

The whole thing needs scrapped.

Agree with some of the suggestions above, but the facts are firstly with the voting as it stands, change can't really happen as you're looking at lots of turkeys voting for Christmas.  Remember the 14-14-14 proposal which was pretty fair but the L1 clubs all cabaled together to veto as it meant some of them would then be in the lowest division!

Then there's the elephant in the room that we can talk about 12-16-16. 14-14-14, 14-14-16, 18-12-12 and all that stuff and it'll all be better than now, but if there isn't personnel and governance change, it'll mean nowt.  There'll simply be different numbers of teams in each league.  We need real change.  The whole rulebook needs scrapped and rewritten.

I wouldn't usually be a fan of this sort of thing and we've tried in before, but we prob need need a proper breakaway, SPL1&2 with out commercial rights and inclusion criteria etc.  Then maybe a national league and then regionals below.  I'd prefer away from the splut, but 12-12-whogivesashit probably suits the number of pro clubs we have and can sustain

Stranraer got demoted along with us and Partick. There was a club that basically admitted what you refer to but it sure as **** wasn’t Stranraer!

SectionDJambo
10 minutes ago, Zico said:

Stranraer got demoted along with us and Partick. There was a club that basically admitted what you refer to but it sure as **** wasn’t Stranraer!

I think it was Forfar.

Their chairman announced it on the radio, I seem to recall. Like the Falkirk and Partick fans would have all rolled up at Station Park after hearing that.

14 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I think it was Forfar.

Their chairman announced it on the radio, I seem to recall. Like the Falkirk and Partick fans would have all rolled up at Station Park after hearing that.

It was Forfar, who were also sitting second bottom and in the play off place.

41 minutes ago, Zico said:

Ha ha. Oh yeah. Forfar maybe?!?! Brain!

2 hours ago, Fraggle said:

Had to do a Google search but actually quite liked it!! 

Ah, superb. If you like it, dig in, superb band. Even their more recent stuff, mid 2000s was superb, especially Take Fountain.

14 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

all kicking off in the national league. Sign of things to come up here again

I read that it’s a complete shambles .... they were playing games as recently as this midweek! I think it’s likely that the tiers below them will follow. Second season running!

I believe that the clubs think they’ve been misled by the National League administrators who told them there were government funds to cover clubs until the end of the season. However it transpires the grants ran out in December and now loans are available BUT the size of the loans required to cover costs would be against league rules!

Just now, Jambo-Fox said:

I read that it’s a complete shambles .... they were playing games as recently as this midweek! I think it’s likely that the tiers below them will follow. Second season running!

I believe that the clubs think they’ve been misled by the National League administrators who told them there were government funds to cover clubs until the end of the season. However it transpires the grants ran out in December and now loans are available BUT the size of the loans required to cover costs would be against league rules!

And even more bizarre ...

3 National League North / South teams are in the FA Trophy quarter finals next weekend, along with Hornchurch.
Hornchurch are still going strong and flying the flag for the Isthmian League! Imagine playing a game in the Trophy every few weeks, unable to train, no league games!

Unbelievable! 

“they’re beginning to look a lot like the SPFL”

Now we have issues with the  UK government and promises re loans to EPL clubs

Championship: EFL 'disappointed' as government impose restrictions on £100m loan - BBC Sport

The EFL says it is "extremely disappointed" after claiming the government imposed restrictions on a loan to Championship clubs less than 24 hours before it was due to be paid.

Clubs were told on Thursday that the loan, worth over £100m, would not be paid on Friday as the EFL attempts to "secure a solution" with the Treasury.

The money was due to cover clubs' outstanding tax bills.

But a clause added would prevent players being offered improved deals.

The EFL had thought the clause would apply to the governing body as it will be distributing the cash - and would therefore only apply to executives.

But players are regarded as "relevant individuals" in the loan agreement.

BBC Sport has approached the Treasury for a comment.

In December, a bail-out package was agreed, in which the Premier League would pay £15m to secure a £200m interest-free loan for Championship clubs, which would be capped at £8.33m per club and has to be repaid by June 2024.

External sources of funding are being sought and EFL sources are confident this will be secured.

However, this has not yet happened and the £100m-plus loan due to come from the Treasury's Covid Corporate Financing Facility (CCFF) is regarded as vital.

Despite the urgency of the situation, it is thought unlikely clubs would be willing to agree to a loan that prevented them making incentive payments to their players.

"We are extremely disappointed by the developments at this late stage of our discussions and we will continue to strongly negotiate with HM Treasury to secure a solution that meets the requirements of Championship clubs and is consistent with the parameters other industries are being asked to meet," said an EFL spokesperson.

"There remains a significant amount of debt - including HMRC - being stored up by Championship clubs, caused simply by the inability to generate normal levels of income due to the circumstances created by the pandemic.

"With the moratorium on Paye liability enforcement coming to an end on the 31 March, this is very much a live issue for our clubs, who throughout Covid have continued to incur significant costs and need to be able to plan with greater certainty without further risk in order to keep their clubs fully operational for the benefit of their local communities."

Boris proposes fans up to 10,000 in stadiums from 17 May 2021....this is a proposal for England of course

The fourth step from 21 June will potentially see all legal limits on social contact removed, with the final closed sectors of the economy reopened - such as nightclubs.

The government hopes that - from this date - restrictions on weddings and funerals will also be abolished.

The four conditions that must be met at each phase of lockdown easing are:

1. The coronavirus vaccine programme continues to go to plan
  2. Evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently reducing the number of people dying with the virus or needing hospital treatment
  3. Infection rates do not risk a surge in hospital admissions
  4. New variants of the virus do not fundamentally change the risk of lifting restrictions

Edited by CJGJ

3 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Boris proposes fans up to 10,000 in stadiums from 17 May 2021....this is a proposal for England of course

The fourth step from 21 June will potentially see all legal limits on social contact removed, with the final closed sectors of the economy reopened - such as nightclubs.

The government hopes that - from this date - restrictions on weddings and funerals will also be abolished.

The four conditions that must be met at each phase of lockdown easing are:

1. The coronavirus vaccine programme continues to go to plan
  2. Evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently reducing the number of people dying with the virus or needing hospital treatment
  3. Infection rates do not risk a surge in hospital admissions
  4. New variants of the virus do not fundamentally change the risk of lifting restrictions

These are indicative dates. The full document says "not before" these dates. The last time Government(s) set out dates it didn't go well. Would be nice to think it goes this smoothly, but won't hold my breath.

Guest ToqueJambo

2 hours ago, Hesh said:

The mad wifey will no be having that 

Yeah, it's crazy she's not just doing everything the same as the worst prime minister in British history.

Footballfirst

Today's update from the SFA following the Holyrood announcement. i.e. we haven't a clue. 

Response to Scottish Government road map out of lockdown

The Joint Response Group notes the First Minister’s road map out of lockdown outlined at Holyrood today.

We await further clarification from ministers in the coming days on the implications for Scottish football at all levels, including leagues and clubs currently under the Scottish FA suspension and the wider grassroots game.

We will provide a more detailed update when ministers outline the road map for affected areas of Scottish football.

The JRG is committed to working with government to ensure the national game is primed to return within the ‘progressive easing’ timeline announced today. 

21 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yeah, it's crazy she's not just doing everything the same as the worst prime minister in British history.

And after Cameron that's saying something.

I think it's called Eton Mess!!!

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, colinmaroon said:

And after Cameron that's saying something.

I think it's called Eton Mess!!!

You do have to wonder what they teach at that place. Sodomy mostly I suppose.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

You do have to wonder what they teach at that place. Sodomy mostly I suppose.

Eton is the origin of the word "porker."

43 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Today's update from the SFA following the Holyrood announcement. i.e. we haven't a clue. 

Response to Scottish Government road map out of lockdown

The Joint Response Group notes the First Minister’s road map out of lockdown outlined at Holyrood today.

We await further clarification from ministers in the coming days on the implications for Scottish football at all levels, including leagues and clubs currently under the Scottish FA suspension and the wider grassroots game.

We will provide a more detailed update when ministers outline the road map for affected areas of Scottish football.

The JRG is committed to working with government to ensure the national game is primed to return within the ‘progressive easing’ timeline announced today. 

To be fair to the JRG ( did I really say that ) there isn’t much specific for them to go on. I think it’s fair to assume no crowds this season so they have to focus on what might be feasible late July and the new season. 

No way league 1 and 2 are restarting. Lockdown until end of April and if not even letting all schools back until April then likely null and void is coming

SPFL League One and Two clubs expect update from SFA on league suspension in next few days - Daily Record

League One and Two clubs are expected to find out whether they'll complete their seasons in the next few days.

After Nicola Sturgeon addressed the nation this afternoon, the Joint Response Group issued a short statement declaring they'd have dialogue with relevant ministers in the coming days.

(Image: SNS Group / SFA)

League One and Two clubs have expressed their willingness to return to action and have committed to the cost of testing their players for the remainder of the season.

While the twenty clubs are determined to complete all 27 games, there is a growing acceptance that it might not be possible with no return to action imminent.

More sport from across Lanarkshire

It's understood that one alternative proposal put forward by clubs is playing an 18 game season before splitting the league into two - a top half and bottom.

Each club would then play four subsequent games - two at home, two away - to establish the final positions before play-offs are scheduled.

Rovers players are on furlough while they wait to see what's happening with League Two(Image: Stuart Vance/ReachPlc)

This proposal would diminish any potential dissatisfaction from some Championship clubs with concerns that the League One campaign wasn't completed as agreed, prior to the season commencing.

Show Player

Clubs in the Scottish Women's Premier League, Lowland League and West of Scotland Football Leagues have also yet to receive clarity on their futures.

A statement posted on the SFA website read: "The Joint Response Group notes the First Minister’s road map out of lockdown outlined at Holyrood today.

"We await further clarification from ministers in the coming days on the implications for Scottish football at all levels, including leagues and clubs currently under the Scottish FA suspension and the wider grassroots game.

"We will provide a more detailed update when ministers outline the road map for affected areas of Scottish football.

"The JRG is committed to working with government to ensure the national game is primed to return within the ‘progressive easing’ timeline announced today."

19 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

No way league 1 and 2 are restarting. Lockdown until end of April and if not even letting all schools back until April then likely null and void is coming

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )