SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Jambof3tornado

If the figures show the current setup is working the lockdown may be eased off gradually but with strict rules in place for bars etc that reopen. This will only happen a few weeks after the peak, which would allow hospitals to discharge those well enough( happening daily but seldom reported), and allow those in ICU to recover enough to move out of IC and into general wards, and clearly there will be a number who dont pull through.

This weekend will be a big test and the peak is expected next week so lets see what happens.

Please stay at home and help us to save lives. Ignoring the current rules is killing nhs staff now so if you dont give a **** about friends and family think about those that have lost their lives through no fault of their own, simply because they had to go to work.

I do think the London numbers are going to become silly because of the underground usage.

Stay safe Jambos.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Angry Haggis
21 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

If the figures show the current setup is working the lockdown may be eased off gradually but with strict rules in place for bars etc that reopen. This will only happen a few weeks after the peak, which would allow hospitals to discharge those well enough( happening daily but seldom reported), and allow those in ICU to recover enough to move out of IC and into general wards, and clearly there will be a number who dont pull through.

This weekend will be a big test and the peak is expected next week so lets see what happens.

Please stay at home and help us to save lives. Ignoring the current rules is killing nhs staff now so if you dont give a **** about friends and family think about those that have lost their lives through no fault of their own, simply because they had to go to work.

I do think the London numbers are going to become silly because of the underground usage.

Stay safe Jambos.

100%, well said.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
4 hours ago, Stendelsarmy said:

Nonsense. Awarding a title to a team just because they were more than likely going to win it is a shambles as much as relegating a team who looked like they would finish bottom. It's the sporting integrity principle. Games a bogey without it.

In principle, aye I agree, but Rangers aren't the ones who would lose out here. In reality, they've no chance of catching Celtic & it'll be pretty sickening to hear them playing the victim when it's really clubs like ourselves and the Jags who are losing out. 

59 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I think lockdown will be relaxed in May as well and we'll see some businesses re-open.

Yes - non-food shops, I'd expect.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I think lockdown will be relaxed in May as well and we'll see some businesses re-open.

To be honest I think June at the earliest for a sign of any relaxation. My Mrs don't think we'll get away to Canada in August

33 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Again today, its clear Scotland needs to wait for UEFA to make a decision. 

UEFA can’t and is not going to make a decision. It’s not their job to. Every national association is autonomous. All UEFA can decree is on qualification for their own two club tournaments and what the dates are for those which is what they have already done.(to an extent) although the Spanish, English, Italians and Germans will tell them to ram it. ( leagues finished by June) 

Edited by JimmyCant

Just now, JimmyCant said:

UEFA can’t and is not going to make a decision. It’s not their job to. Every national association is autonomous. All UEFA can decree is on qualification for their own two club tournaments and what the dates are for those. 

It isn't their job, your right, but why then threaten leagues who are likely to follow Belgium's lead?

Tokyo Drifter
17 hours ago, Heres Rixxy said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-ready-declare-celtic-champions-21810379

It’s understood several smaller nations are ready to throw the problem straight back at UEFA by demanding interest free loans to cover their costs until football emerges from the coronavirus pandemic. However, that is not a stance the SPFL are willing to adopt as they forge on with plans to call the season as soon as their legal advice allows, handing Celtic the title and relegating Hearts.

It's a typical bullshit story from Gary Ralston. The argument is predicated on the SPFL not wanting to lose out on the Sky money - but if it isn't possible to FINISH the season in July or August then it certainly isn't going to be possible to START it either. Calling the season now solves nothing. Note: no mention of the play-offs. The only sentence in the entire story which rings true is "confusion reigns".

Edited by Tokyo Drifter

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

UEFA can’t and is not going to make a decision. It’s not their job to. Every national association is autonomous. All UEFA can decree is on qualification for their own two club tournaments and what the dates are for those which is what they have already done.(to an extent) 

Cowdenbeath director and Raith Rovers Chairman this week on radio said they are waiting on UEFA. 

1 minute ago, RENE said:

It isn't their job, your right, but why then threaten leagues who are likely to follow Belgium's lead?

All they said was that qualification MIGHT be effected for those who don’t complete their leagues. Which is a fair enough position to take but June is totally unrealistic for that and they’ll have to back down or suspend their club tournaments for a year.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I am thinking end-May and only to allow people to return to work to some extent. 

Will be longer - and a huge call - to allow large gatherings at sporting events. 

Hagar the Horrible

As I cant believe there will be football played behind closed doors, to stop gatherings outside grounds, I still think football by the authorities will be considered low priority and the survival of over paid pampered delusional players and the clubs they play for are not even on the radar compared to the nations health.  So clubs WILL not renew expired contracts at the end of this season as it was planned?  Furlough will not be for more than a couple of months?  Even clubs who have tried to look good in the media by doing the deferral route, will still end up either opting for a cut in salary and invoking article12.  The Raith Rovers chairman more or less admitted they can keep going for a couple of months and there are a few clubs in a worse state than them?  At least AB is planning for the long haul and to fair so is the Aberdeen chap?

There will be lots if not about 80% of all players unemployed by the end of August, so when the next season kicks off squads will be reduced to around 30 and those who are left will be only offered contracts a fraction of what they had.  So wake up smell the coffee take a cut and you might still have a job at Christmas and a chance of keeping a modicum of respect.  Clubs WILL die its your fault not the virus!!!!!

5 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Surely closed door games can be completed with same day testing of all players, staff and officials. This could include any broadcaster or pundits. 

Essential workers? I dont think so.

Stay      at       home   .

Jambof3tornado
1 minute ago, 4marsbars said:

Essential workers? I dont think so.

Stay      at       home   .

This. Why waste precious testing capacity??

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

Just one problem - they can't play any football for several months.

Could be pre-season? I thought it was a good idea, so it's clearly not going to happen.

57 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

To be honest I think June at the earliest for a sign of any relaxation. My Mrs don't think we'll get away to Canada in August

You could well be right but I'd be amazed if they haven't looked at some sort of ways of reintroducing some people to work by the end of May.

Fingers crossed for your trip, but I do agree that it will be a while yet until international travel is back on the cards.

35 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I am thinking end-May and only to allow people to return to work to some extent. 

Will be longer - and a huge call - to allow large gatherings at sporting events. 

Oh yeh, there will be no football in May, certainly not with fans. 

Reintroduction to work as you say is where I think they will relax the lockdown.

mickycameron98

Should have a one off final at Hampden between Hearts and Dundee Utd to decide premier league status.

portobellojambo1

I've not read anything produced by Scottish papers recently, there is no point in doing so. I did check UEFA's response to Belgium declaring their league null and void, and they weren't pleased with that. The UEFA belief is no competition can be declared as done until all matches have been completed. There are too many teams who could lose a lot of money who will challenge it successfully. They have said the leagues should be played to a conclusion, and I'm comfirtable with beleiving that that is what will happen. It could potentially mean the new season might be delayed in starting by a month or so, but again that is manageable.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, mickycameron98 said:

Should have a one off final at Hampden between Hearts and Dundee Utd to decide premier league status.

And playoffs for the other championship clubs and Hamilton to decide the other relegation/promotion spots.

This is why they really can't relegate us and get away with it. We don't have a one-up, one-down system - the rules every club agreed to at the start of the season was for playoffs to decide the other relegation and promotion spot.

So just relegating us and only promoting D Utd would effectively mean changing the entire rules of the league after 3/4 of the season by abandoning playoffs without our agreement (or Dundee, Ayr and Caley who would have a chance of promotion now if this was simply a shorter league season). 

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

You could well be right but I'd be amazed if they haven't looked at some sort of ways of reintroducing some people to work by the end of May.

Fingers crossed for your trip, but I do agree that it will be a while yet until international travel is back on the cards.

One of my relatives works for the Passport office handling queries. 

He's working from home and is still getting calls from people panicking about their new passport. WTF 😁

13 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I've not read anything produced by Scottish papers recently, there is no point in doing so. I did check UEFA's response to Belgium declaring their league null and void, and they weren't pleased with that. The UEFA belief is no competition can be declared as done until all matches have been completed. There are too many teams who could lose a lot of money who will challenge it successfully. They have said the leagues should be played to a conclusion, and I'm comfirtable with beleiving that that is what will happen. It could potentially mean the new season might be delayed in starting by a month or so, but again that is manageable.

Can't see large gatherings being allowed until a vaccine is available,  that could be 12 months away. I can't see European competitions taking place anytime , with crowds, soon as there will likely be further flair ups until a vaccine is availed.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Can't see large gatherings being allowed until a vaccine is available,  that could be 12 months away. I can't see European competitions taking place anytime , with crowds, soon as there will likely be further flair ups until a vaccine is availed.

Two other possible reasons. 

First they find a medicine that cures, the second,  a miracle really the virus begins to weaken as herd immunity takes over.

Personally I don't think international travel can happen without some sort of medical passport exemption until vaccine is found. 

I don't think many people really understand the magnitude of this crisis. 

It may not change us forever but it will for a few years anyhow 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
24 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

And playoffs for the other championship clubs and Hamilton to decide the other relegation/promotion spots.

This is why they really can't relegate us and get away with it. We don't have a one-up, one-down system - the rules every club agreed to at the start of the season was for playoffs to decide the other relegation and promotion spot.

So just relegating us and only promoting D Utd would effectively mean changing the entire rules of the league after 3/4 of the season by abandoning playoffs without our agreement (or Dundee, Ayr and Caley who would have a chance of promotion now if this was simply a shorter league season). 

I think Sky will fancy a few Edinburgh derbies. 

Budge isn't panicked she knows the rules. 

You can't change the rules you just can't without legal recourse or compensation 

17 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

This and rightly so. Not only will it not be a real title but it will mean their 9 or however many in a row won't be real either. And that's all that Celtic fans care about. 

Look forward to Celtic starting again next season for 1 in a row if this happens. I would imagine both the horrible club and fans would want to avoid this at all costs to keep the run going, but if it doesn’t I along with every other fan outside the green half of Glasgow will take great pleasure in reminding them that the run was broken. Similar to the other half of the ugly sister still not having won a major trophy! HHGH FTH!!!

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Two other possible reasons. 

First they find a medicine that cures, the second,  a miracle really the virus begins to weaken as herd immunity takes over.

Personally I don't think international travel can happen without some sort of medical passport exemption until vaccine is found. 

I don't think many people really understand the magnitude of this crisis. 

It may not change us forever but it will for a few years anyhow 

Agreed. Over 700 human beings died in the last 24 hours. Over 2k in four days. Folk talking about playing football next month. The only explanation I can think of, is that people are totally underestimating what’s happening.

The Real Maroonblood
33 minutes ago, luckydug said:

One of my relatives works for the Passport office handling queries. 

He's working from home and is still getting calls from people panicking about their new passport. WTF 😁

What cretins.

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Agreed. Over 700 human beings died in the last 24 hours. Over 2k in four days. Folk talking about playing football next month. The only explanation I can think of, is that people are totally underestimating what’s happening.

Reality check would be an understatement.

The lockdown I have no doubt will be extended.

8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Reality check would be an understatement.

The lockdown I have no doubt will be extended.

I agree. Even then, when it’s finally relaxed, it’ll be a long and gradual process and no risks of a second outbreak will be taken. Games of football will be very much further down the line.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

portobellojambo1
33 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

It is difficult to respond for no other reason than I can't, it would just be another opinion. I would say though that it is unlikely that it will start in June, for example, but when it might start is still subject to circumstances. The one thing I'm not even remotely convinced by is that we, the world, now find ourselves in a situation which came about because someone ate a bat.

SectionDJambo
29 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

You're probably being kind to the people who think football will be played, in front of spectators, anytime soon. 

Seemingly, oblivious to the tragedy that is going on around them. Unaware that at least 2 sporting occasions have been reckoned to have caused major spreads of the virus, Atalanta v Valencia and Cheltenham.  

But can we have our football back, but even if we can't, pay all  those footballers their full money, whilst others are having to cut back on far less money.

People say that football clubs, like Hearts, should have the cash reserves to cope with paying their footballers. How come so few, of the same people, are asking why the footballers haven't got their own cash reserves to see them through, with a bit of a lifestyle change? They'll be the same as us, in that they can't spend their money on bars, restaurants, theatres, cinema etc.. They can't even get those expensive haircuts, for now. 

Edited by SectionDJambo

13 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

You're probably being kind to the people who think football will be played, in front of spectators, anytime soon. 

Seemingly, oblivious to the tragedy that is going on around them. Unaware that at least 2 sporting occasions have been reckoned to have caused major spreads of the virus, Atalanta v Valencia and Cheltenham.  

But can we have our football back, but even if we can't, pay all  those footballers their full money, whilst others are having to cut back on far less money.

People say that football clubs, like Hearts, should have the cash reserves to cope with paying their footballers. How come so few, of the same people, are asking why the footballers haven't got their own cash reserves to see them through, with a bit of a lifestyle change? They'll be the same as us, in that they can't spend their money on bars, restaurants, theatres, cinema etc.. They can't even get those expensive haircuts, for now. 

Agree with you on every single point.

Fozzyonthefence
51 minutes ago, JRR51HS said:

Look forward to Celtic starting again next season for 1 in a row if this happens. I would imagine both the horrible club and fans would want to avoid this at all costs to keep the run going, but if it doesn’t I along with every other fan outside the green half of Glasgow will take great pleasure in reminding them that the run was broken. Similar to the other half of the ugly sister still not having won a major trophy! HHGH FTH!!!

The run won’t be broken though because Rangers won’t win the league this season.  If it’s null and void Celtic will be going for 9 in a row next season.  If the season is called as is, or somehow they play out the remaining games then they’ll be going for 10 in a row next season.  I don’t think even the most deluded Rangers fan would cling on to your bizarre train of thought but nothing would surprise me.

19 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

It is difficult to respond for no other reason than I can't, it would just be another opinion. I would say though that it is unlikely that it will start in June, for example, but when it might start is still subject to circumstances. The one thing I'm not even remotely convinced by is that we, the world, now find ourselves in a situation which came about because someone ate a bat.

I don’t think anyone thinks it came from someone eating a bat. Bats are just major carriers of zoonotic diseases. The market in Wuhan that it was traced back to doesn’t even sell bats. The genetic code of the mutated virus shows that it most likely did originate from bats though. The market where the outbreak was traced to sells live and dead animals together and is extremely busy and crowded. The most likely scenario is that a bat has passed it on to an animal that was being kept in the market before it was slaughtered, possibly a chicken. The disease has then spread to other animals in the market and then humans, through zoonosis.

Malinga the Swinga

No wonder EPL wants the leagues to complete and not just stop. £762 million to be refunded to TV companies, unless leagues play remaining games, is a powerful argument for clubs and shows just how desperate they are for money, because let's face it, they have already spent it.

For that amount of cash, they are more than willing to risk a few lives. After all, money is their only concern.

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

The run won’t be broken though because Rangers won’t win the league this season.  If it’s null and void Celtic will be going for 9 in a row next season.  If the season is called as is, or somehow they play out the remaining games then they’ll be going for 10 in a row next season.  I don’t think even the most deluded Rangers fan would cling on to your bizarre train of thought but nothing would surprise me.

If it's called as is "10, 11, 12... in a row" will have an asterix against it forever, rightly so, as this season wouldn't be a real title, it's 3/4 of a title "won" when another team can still mathematically catch them. That's why I'm surprised Celtic fans would want it called now. If Celtic fans care about the "X titles in a row" which we all know they do, calling the league now should be their least favourite option behind playing to a finish and null and voiding it. They're guaranteed to win it when things start up so their "in a row" run won't be affected in that case.

I couldn't care less what Celtic and Rangers fans argue about, but if they call it now that would become something they would argue about for all eternity, along with the new club/old club thing.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

If it's called as is "10, 11, 12... in a row" will have an asterix against it forever, rightly so, as this season wouldn't be a real title, it's 3/4 of a title "won" when another team can still mathematically catch them. That's why I'm surprised Celtic fans would want it called now.

I couldn't care less what Celtic and Rangers fans argue about, but this would become something they would argue about for all eternity, along with the new club/old club thing.

I can’t say it will be any consolation if we get an asterisk next to our relegation.  I certainly won’t be arguing it didn’t happen if we’re playing at Starks Park next season.

upgotheheads
20 hours ago, Heres Rixxy said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-ready-declare-celtic-champions-21810379

It’s understood several smaller nations are ready to throw the problem straight back at UEFA by demanding interest free loans to cover their costs until football emerges from the coronavirus pandemic. However, that is not a stance the SPFL are willing to adopt as they forge on with plans to call the season as soon as their legal advice allows, handing Celtic the title and relegating Hearts.

In today's Richard Gordon/ Wullie Miller / Aberdeen / Sportsound love-in  on BBC Scotland today Tom English made the only point worth taking notice of (as usual). That is,  the SPFL could declare the league to be decided: Celtic-Champions;  Rangers runners-up; Motherwell third ; Aberdeen fourth; and so on down the Hearts twelfth. 

However that's not the same as saying Hearts will be relegated. The discussion then moves on to league re-construction to get round the legal stooshie that will inevitably follow. Pound to a penny that the outcome will be a PL of 14  and Championship of 12.  

44 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

100%.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I can’t say it will be any consolation if we get an asterisk next to our relegation.  I certainly won’t be arguing it didn’t happen if we’re playing at Starks Park next season.

We're not going for 10 relegations in a row though.

Guest ToqueJambo
48 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

They must do, otherwise they would take a pay cut instead of deferral.

stirlingshirejambo
4 hours ago, frankblack said:

Yes - non-food shops, I'd expect.

I don’t think so

its looking like mid June earliest for non food shops

23 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

In today's Richard Gordon/ Wullie Miller / Aberdeen / Sportsound love-in  on BBC Scotland today Tom English made the only point worth taking notice of (as usual). That is,  the SPFL could declare the league to be decided: Celtic-Champions;  Rangers runners-up; Motherwell third ; Aberdeen fourth; and so on down the Hearts twelfth. 

However that's not the same as saying Hearts will be relegated. The discussion then moves on to league re-construction to get round the legal stooshie that will inevitably follow. Pound to a penny that the outcome will be a PL of 14  and Championship of 12.  

Depends if and how many clubs go to the wall in a worst case scenario. 

Hectormasson
5 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

The lockdown is expected to be relaxed in May ? Who told you that ? 

If you believe that then you are deluded.

This lockdown will go on for a long time yet, in fact it may even be made tighter.

I really don't mean to be rude, but I think you must have your head in the clouds. 

There wont be any football this year for    sure ,,, god knows how things will be sorted out,,,  itl be shut pubs ,,shut bookies ,,an d shut football grounds for a long time...... worst f....g luck !!!!!

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

It looks like the fairest and most sensible way to do it, when do they ever do that though.

Guest ToqueJambo
35 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Hasn't the UEFA letter effectively kiboshed that? Celtic might not get CL football in that scenario.

Fozzyonthefence
31 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We're not going for 10 relegations in a row though.

No, that wouldn’t be possible in Scotland.  Maybe if we were in England though.

upgotheheads
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Hasn't the UEFA letter effectively kiboshed that? Celtic might not get CL football in that scenario.

I'm not sure that the UEFA letter was a definitive ruling. UEFA are currently being railroaded by the TV companies to fulfil the contract for Champions league fixtures, but even UEFA and SKY/BT/BEIN will not be calling the tune when it comes to COVID 19. The virus, and governments, will be doing that.

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )