SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Guest ToqueJambo
43 minutes ago, john thomas said:

The question should never have been asked . This was never an issue . Maxwell should be booted out . Broadfoot trying to defend him on Sportsound was glorious . His 'colleagues' on the programme [English , Levein] were loving it

Does Broadfoot still work for the SFA, even as a consultant? Certainly sounds like it every time he's on.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

30 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

I can't see anyway that Liewells little puppets can swing this season into null and void. Rangers and their hordes would literally burn the shit show that is the SPFL and SFA to the ground, proper Russian WW2 Eastern Front Scorched Earth policy, and most likely ably supported by ourselves, Partick, Inverness and several others (this time round). All in my humble opinion of course. 

Pretty accurate 

27 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Does Broadfoot still work for the SFA, even as a consultant? Certainly sounds like it every time he's on.

https://www.prweek.com/article/1436007/frame-pr-takes-sport-clients-adding-scottish-fa-comms-chief-team

interesting that on their roster (Frame PR) alongside the SFA is Celtic Football Club. So not sure who he was there representing....guess if asked private capacity?

https://www.frame.agency/our-work

Edited by Japan Jambo
clarity

Guest ToqueJambo
45 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

I can't see anyway that Liewells little puppets can swing this season into null and void. Rangers and their hordes would literally burn the shit show that is the SPFL and SFA to the ground, proper Russian WW2 Eastern Front Scorched Earth policy, and most likely ably supported by ourselves, Partick, Inverness and several others (this time round). All in my humble opinion of course. 

It is very strange* comparing Doncaster's insistence that null and void is off the table last season (for a long list of reasons he gave, including claims against the league and clubs for contracts not fulfilled and not being able to award European spots) but leaving it open this time.

Also, he said this the other day "I’ve never ruled out anything. It’s up to the members to rule things in or out."

This is a lie. Null and void was never put to a vote. The SPFL board decided it was off the table, not members. Hopefully someone will ask Doncaster who made the decision not to make null and void an option last time and why, and what has changed this season to put it on the table?

*Not strange at all of course. Totally predictable and we all know why.

Edited by ToqueJambo

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It is very strange* comparing Doncaster's insistence that null and void is off the table last season (for a long list of reasons he gave, including claims against the league and clubs for contracts not fulfilled and not being able to award European spots) but leaving it open this time.

Also, he said this the other day "I’ve never ruled out anything. It’s up to the members to rule things in or out."

This is a lie. Null and void was never put to a vote. The SPFL board decided it was off the table, not members.

*Not strange at all of course. Totally predictable and we all know why.

Bingo! 

26 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

he does. Called frame agency

1 hour ago, Fraggle said:

I think what Celtic are trying to do (I posted this a few pages back last night) is pick a fight with the Scottish Government and goad Sturgeon into issuing that second yellow card she's mentioned a few times.

If the government withdraw footballs "privileges", then football is suspended irrespective of what the SPFL decide. That creates a fixture issue, and the ultimate old firm derby if the season has to end with a vote.

3 minutes ago, blairdin said:

I think what Celtic are trying to do (I posted this a few pages back last night) is pick a fight with the Scottish Government and goad Sturgeon into issuing that second yellow card she's mentioned a few times.

If the government withdraw footballs "privileges", then football is suspended irrespective of what the SPFL decide. That creates a fixture issue, and the ultimate old firm derby if the season has to end with a vote.

I am not sure that's the case however if it was proven that that is what they are doing then they should be expelled from the league. Simple as that.

I’m not buying into these conspiracy theories about Celtic attempting a null and void on the league.

To me this is is a case of their mask slipping.  Their silence at the start of this fiasco spoke volumes.  They pulled the strings, called the leagues, got their champions league spot that they feared would be lost without a called season.

”get the fixtures out” was their only comment throughout.  Now with a normally on side media poking at them their silence has been broken and the true face of celtic is on full view.  A club like no other.. more Arrogant, more selfish, more greedy.  A club that cant help itself from blaming everyone else for its failures.  A vile club that is getting some comeuppance thats been a long time coming.

Geoff Kilpatrick
21 minutes ago, B.S. said:

I’m not buying into these conspiracy theories about Celtic attempting a null and void on the league.

To me this is is a case of their mask slipping.  Their silence at the start of this fiasco spoke volumes.  They pulled the strings, called the leagues, got their champions league spot that they feared would be lost without a called season.

”get the fixtures out” was their only comment throughout.  Now with a normally on side media poking at them their silence has been broken and the true face of celtic is on full view.  A club like no other.. more Arrogant, more selfish, more greedy.  A club that cant help itself from blaming everyone else for its failures.  A vile club that is getting some comeuppance thats been a long time coming.

I agree. The "null and void" conspiracy is just that but the reason it is believable is that the authorities are in their pocket.

1 hour ago, blairdin said:

Don't worry mate.

She will be like Collam threatening broony, one more and I'm taking action.

Broony, does umpteen more...well you know the rest..

20 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Shame. Is there a medicine for fixing brass necks? Talking about making a signing in the same breath as asking the SG for a loan. I'm afraid there are many more deserving cases than Kilmarnock FC

11 minutes ago, Musemic said:

Shame. Is there a medicine for fixing brass necks? Talking about making a signing in the same breath as asking the SG for a loan. I'm afraid there are many more deserving cases than Kilmarnock FC

It will be the loan that Government have already announced is available to every Premiership team. I think they can each take a loan of something like up to £1.25m (possibly more if some clubs don't take up the offer). I imagine we'll see a few other clubs quietly take it up in the next few weeks.

18 hours ago, jambomjm74 said:

1 in 11 people in Scotland had covid antibodies at end Dec.  So the 2 cases Celtic have had, would be at worst in line with that. Hearts also had 2 reported cases recently. 
The knew jerk reactions to football that seem to satisfy political needs are not reflective of the real world, we cannot eliminate this, that boat sailed 12 months ago, this disease is part of society and we will need to appropriately live with it until vaccines or nature deal with it. 

Was the trip badly timed and inappropriate, yes. 
Was it any riskier, turned out no as only 2 cases resulted from the trip. 
His booze filled conga point is spot on! It was lauded by press, politicians (of all persuasions) and resulted in a hit record. 
Is Lennon cracking up, yes, when ever pressure is on and he’s failed, he does this. Is it amusing, you better believe it 

Not remotely accurate!  People having covid antibodies means they've had the virus (with or without symptoms) at some point in the past, over the previous 9 or 10 months of the pandemic. Celtic have 2 players with the virus right now.  If that was in line with the general prevalence of the virus, every hospital in the land, including the Nightingale ones, would be completely full of covid patients, and we'd have loads of people dying in their homes who could have been saved by hospital treatment, because there simply wasn't the hospital capacity to take them.

If that was the situation, football along with pretty much everything else, would have been stopped by December. We'd probably be in the sort of lockdown China has had, where you can't even leave your house to go shopping. 

Edited by FarmerTweedy

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Naive question: what happens if you default on a loan from the Scottish government?

They'll be nationalised. :D

10 hours ago, blairdin said:

Think that could be a very likely course of action Celtic are trying behind the scenes. If that did come to pass I still think Rangers and their fans would ensure the 21 - 22 season was suspended or amended to allow this season to finish, in the hope to stop 9.75 in a row. 

17 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Naive question: what happens if you default on a loan from the Scottish government?

Guess but same as tax. Given a couple of chances, including repayment plans. Fail those, they'll claim assets possibly through winding up order. Would depend who the loan technically taken by (ie does the company who has the loan written against them own the stadium etc, do they have money elsewhere, ie own other assets...)

The Mighty Thor
9 hours ago, neilnunb said:

If they're in the shit halfway through this season then how on earth are they going to pay back another 1 million of debt?

Scottish football is heading for a huge crash. 

Shame. 

Tbh the Killie thing doesn't mean overly much imo. Jyst about every business in the country has had to seek finance through grants and low int loans the govt have made available.

If its an option, you take it. Billy Bowie is pretty sorted, incl the hotel in the stadium which will be empty at present but is a busy, liquid operation.

Theyre just getting through the year like everyone else.

Sorry!!

31 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Guess but same as tax. Given a couple of chances, including repayment plans. Fail those, they'll claim assets possibly through winding up order. Would depend who the loan technically taken by (ie does the company who has the loan written against them own the stadium etc, do they have money elsewhere, ie own other assets...)

Don’t think there will be onerous conditions attached to the loans and unlikely to be backed by guarantees or bond and floating charges . The bounce back loans to businesses via the banks are backed by the government and in the fullness of time I wouldn’t be surprised if a substantial chunk are eventually written off.

27 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Don’t think there will be onerous conditions attached to the loans and unlikely to be backed by guarantees or bond and floating charges . The bounce back loans to businesses via the banks are backed by the government and in the fullness of time I wouldn’t be surprised if a substantial chunk are eventually written off.

I doubt that there will be any write off. More likely to be paid off over five years at a low interest rate.

Hagar the Horrible

So KIllie are the first to confirm they need the loan,  I cant see how the likes of St Johnstone, St Mirren, Motherwell, Dundee Utd and Hamilton won’t go down this route, which will keep them all alive and hopefully in a weak state for years to come, so when we bounce back we will be stronger by default and bank balance.

If Bowie thinks this emergency loan is essential then there are a lot of clubs in a worse state than they are, so is everybody else keeping up a false front?

20 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

So KIllie are the first to confirm they need the loan,  I cant see how the likes of St Johnstone, St Mirren, Motherwell, Dundee Utd and Hamilton won’t go down this route, which will keep them all alive and hopefully in a weak state for years to come, so when we bounce back we will be stronger by default and bank balance.

If Bowie thinks this emergency loan is essential then there are a lot of clubs in a worse state than they are, so is everybody else keeping up a false front?

Think all clubs bar the old firm will end up with a government loan. Kilmarnock putting their head above the parapet first   the rest will follow.

A £1m loan might be really important this year, but given the low interest rates the prospect of paying it back over a period of say 5 years should be manageable for even the smallest teams in the league once things return to normal. It might require them to cut their cloth a bit further, but that on its own won't be what breaks any club.

Have I missed an update on the Championship? 2 days on from the deadline for clubs to feedback and 2 days until the next Championship fixture it seems pretty shocking we haven't had confirmation that we are continuing. Has anyone on twitter tried badgering some of the journalists to try and get them to ask the SFA?

2 hours ago, Deevers said:

I doubt that there will be any write off. More likely to be paid off over five years at a low interest rate.

Agree there is likely to be rescheduling but I fear sadly some businesses will go under before any repayment.

1 minute ago, 132goals1958 said:

Agree there is likely to be rescheduling but I fear sadly some businesses will go under before any repayment.

One or two deserve all the bad luck that they get.

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

yet Dundee United are able to make an offer to Gallagher to make him the highest paid player at the club?  Something doesn't quite seem right.

The Mighty Thor
12 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

yet Dundee United are able to make an offer to Gallagher to make him the highest paid player at the club?  Something doesn't quite seem right.

The vermin are also spending like a drunk sailor. 

The pleading of poverty from clubs doesn't add up. 

I don't know about anyone else's work but my place has frozen all recruitment, except for essential obviously, and the rest of us just have to pick up the slack. And we are a much bigger and wealthier company than any Scottish football club.

These clubs need to suck it up, use their youth players, and just get through to the end of this crisis like the rest of us are.

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The vermin are also spending like a drunk sailor. 

The pleading of poverty from clubs doesn't add up. 

One or two going hell for leather this season. Some  spending beyond their means  - no doubt about that. I think Hibs are banking on a return on Nisbet quickly.  If that does not happen they might be in soapy bubble.

1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

Have I missed an update on the Championship? 2 days on from the deadline for clubs to feedback and 2 days until the next Championship fixture it seems pretty shocking we haven't had confirmation that we are continuing. Has anyone on twitter tried badgering some of the journalists to try and get them to ask the SFA?

Nah it's fine for an SFA executive to spread fear and panic amongst lower league teams and then walk away unscathed.

22 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I don't know about anyone else's work but my place has frozen all recruitment, except for essential obviously, and the rest of us just have to pick up the slack. And we are a much bigger and wealthier company than any Scottish football club.

These clubs need to suck it up, use their youth players, and just get through to the end of this crisis like the rest of us are.

100% this. How can clubs plead poverty in the media, ask for government backing and in the next breath say they are putting aside money for new signings. Surely that's the last thing any responsible business would do. Football success is not an economic necessity.

51 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

AKA Take yer medicine.

15 hours ago, blairdin said:

I dont think Lennon got that memo as he went for everyone. 

The R rate in Scotland is falling the vaccine distribution is ramping up due to the army and also the care holmes nearly being completed. The goverment would simply tell the SFA and SPFL to get their house in order. 

been here before
13 hours ago, jonesy said:

That's like a boy picking up his family's messages from the food bank and then nipping into the bookies on the way home.

Tell you what, I quite fancy a government loan for a million quid, but not until I've spent my savings on coke and hookers first.

Or any lottery win you may scoop

10 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Fat chance of Killie getting a million pound loan from the SG 

Loans as I understand will only be distributed from government sources directly to the sporting ruling bodies.....SFA/SPFL, SRU....etc. There is no short cut mechanism for the Government to deal with clubs on an individual basis.

I have experience of this as my club has had to apply to our sporting body, who then speak with Sports Scotland, who speak directly with the Scottish Government.

If Killie are circumventing procedure it suggests that they are in a distressed state and needing cash urgently to keep the lights on.

Edited by Hashimoto

8 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Loans as I understand will only be distributed from government sources directly to the sporting ruling bodies.....SFA/SPFL, SRU....etc. There is no short cut mechanism for the Government to deal with clubs on an individual basis.

I have experience of this as my club has had to apply to our sporting body, who then speak with Sports Scotland, who speak directly with the Scottish Government.

If Killie are circumventing procedure it suggests that they are in a distressed state and needing cash urgently to keep the lights on.

Football is being dealt with differently. This funding is part of the £55m of emergency support announced by Scottish Government. That included £20m of funding to take the form of loans to Premiership clubs.

There is a bit of throwing bricks in glass houses about criticising clubs for taking Government loans while also signing players. Hearts have accepted a £500k grant from Government from the same £55m announcement and then signed a player, with plans to sign more.

53 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Football is being dealt with differently. This funding is part of the £55m of emergency support announced by Scottish Government. That included £20m of funding to take the form of loans to Premiership clubs.

There is a bit of throwing bricks in glass houses about criticising clubs for taking Government loans while also signing players. Hearts have accepted a £500k grant from Government from the same £55m announcement and then signed a player, with plans to sign more.

Are we pleading poverty?

Did we vote to support a ruling body that has openly criticised government assistance at a time when there are thousands of more deserving cases?

Are we acting like bitches?

No hypocrisy on Gorgie Road (on this occasion 😁)

2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

more from Ayrshire.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55727558

All this from a guy who wouldn't back reconstruction which in turn would have given Ayr United a better chance of getting promoted to the top flight.  He is right about the voting structure but everyone knows this.  I don't know if he is either really thick or just deliberately goes out his way to be a fat prick. 

Edited by Randy Marsh

16 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Pumping money into a clearly insolvent business cannot be allowed. Their fans need to dig deep or it’s bye bye. No sympathy with any club who shafted us last year. All that is happening here is Covid has exposed the financial fragility of many clubs that has been there for a long time now and been covered up. Under no circumstances should any government money be handed out to any club no matter what. Far more important priorities needing to be addressed quite frankly!

With businesses it is about cashflow. A solvent company might struggle to pay bills with no cash available to hand - hard to "sell a lorry" to get the cash in time. The Gov loans will help here for day-to-day bills.

Kilmarnock just lost Brophy from the wage bill so are probably looking to replace him with another striker, This will NOT involve any transfer fee, I'd guess. It does look like they feel the loan will get them to the end of the season.

Other teams may take loans but not make it known so publicly as Killie. I'd not be surprised if Celtic/Rangers take advantage of these soft loans too.

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )