SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Lawwell  Maxwell, Doncaster cannot aporoach the SG to get the football season null and void.

They could lobby, or get folk to lobby the SG that football is suspended for player and public health safety purposes and seek significantly more restrictive measures are put in place before it starts again.  By the time it does start it's up to the football governing bodies, with support of clubs determine if the current season can be seen out, league placings declared on whatever basis, or ultimately N&V.

On top of all that it wouldn't just impact football but all other professional sport

With all due respect much of the political stuff is fantasy, nonsense.

The SG had nothing to do with the decision to end the season last year. Totally manoeuvres by Doncaster, Lawell and Co.  Nothing to do with politicians and everything to do with scheming individuals running (or should it be ruining) the game here.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

23 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I disagree with your last paragraph.

Celtic Hierarchy are in with most of the hierarchy of the Scottish Labour party. Neil Findlay, Jackie Baillie, Lord Read and Lord Haughey(who dont forget gave the SFA(Maxwell) £1.5M to aid in the purchase of Hampden Park as he didnt want the home of Scottish football to move from Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Celtic have very few if any friends in the hierarchy of the SNP. 

Celtic more than anything want Scottish Labour back in power at Holyrood asap.

I think PortobelloJambo was referring to the republican sympathies of the Celtic support to be fair. There is increasing distance between Celtic Management/ ownership and their core support.

51 minutes ago, stranraer-jambo said:

Similar to what I heard last night, but no source was attributed to it. Probably just nonsense. I have copied what was sent to me below.

Been sent this.......
Ross Desmond is appointed to the board of directors with immediate effect. Peter Lawwell will step down from his position at the end of the season. Neil Lennon will take charge of his final game on Wednesday night, with his resignation tendered post match. John Kennedy will be moving to a Football Operations role and Gavin Strachan to a role within the U23 set up to the end of the season. Eddie Howe will be announced first thing on Thursday morning along with his own back room team giving him the best part week to access the squad prior to the next league game against Hamilton at home on Wednesday night.

I'm no way ITK, but I would find it odd if celtic got rid of Lennon now. The last thing they need is a new manager coming, taking a few games to get settled (losing more points) and then finding themselves having to chase 2nd spot in the league (and the 2nd CL spot.)

... I don't think they'll finish any worse than 2nd with Lennon at the helm but a new manager at this point, would be a risk. Mind you, Aberdeen had a golden opportunity to get close to them yesterday and blew against ross *****, so they may well be safe either way.

58 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Covid rate still dropping from where they were 2 weeks ago

Absolutely. There will be no possible justification for not completing the league. We have already played through the peak.

Edited by Hungry hippo

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Eddie Howe 🤣 Not saying he's a bad manager but there's a strong whiff of "only good at one club" about him and might drown in the OF nonsense after zero pressure at Bournmouth. Could very much be Ronnie Delia #2, or do a Rodgers and use it to relaunch his career in the EPL.

Yup. Zero expectations at Bournemouth. Don’t win the league or best Rangers he’s in bother 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Celtic Hierarchy are in with most of the hierarchy of the Scottish Labour party. Neil Findlay, Jackie Baillie, Lord Read and Lord Haughey(who dont forget gave the SFA(Maxwell) £1.5M to aid in the purchase of Hampden Park as he didnt want the home of Scottish football to move from Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Celtic FC and its support have always been 2 very different beasts. Certainly there is an historic link between the club and the Labour party and that this is still very strong,  but there is absolutely no doubt that when it comes to putting crosses on a ballot paper the SNP has attracted significant support from the anti-UK segment of the Celtic support. The support wants change at the top of the club, and any criticism of those in charge is being welcomed by the Celtic support; you just need to look at social media to see that they love Sturgeon's criticism of the Dubai trip and see it as a reason for Lawwell to go. 

Back on topic, I would be very surprised to see the Govt intervene unless there is a requirement for a return to a March style lockdown. Sturgeon has recognised that watching football offers mental health benefit and full time football clubs are workplaces with very strict regimes in place. Overall there have been very few positive cases in the SPFL. All the Government asks of the football authorities is to make sure member clubs behave, which in the main they have. The biggest threat to a null and void season is the SFA and the SPFL and their complete misreading of the Government's position.    

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Eddie Howe 🤣 Not saying he's a bad manager but there's a strong whiff of "only good at one club" about him and might drown in the OF nonsense after zero pressure at Bournmouth. Could very much be Ronnie Delia #2, or do a Rodgers and use it to relaunch his career in the EPL.

Winning everything wasnt a requirement at Bournemouth so not sure he'll deal with the pressure.

Shame if he goes there coz I like the guy!!!

3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Was it somewhere like Burnley or Blackburn he couldn’t settle at after he left Bournemouth the first time.

I like Howe but he’s been used to playing in a pool with a lot of money and I think it’s strange that when his stock was at its highest, he didn’t get a more high profile job.

Interesting to see how he handles the expectations 

2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Let's get these next seven games played. Much stronger position to claim the league title should it be stopped. 

If the next seven games go ahead, the season will be completed. If football wasn’t suspended at the start of this most recent lockdown it’s very unlikely to be suspended going forward. 

The White Cockade
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Disagree with his last paragraph?

Correct its utter nonsense 

Do people really equate Scottish Nationalists with IRA supporting Irish Republicans?

In that case there must be a lot of closet Republicans in the Hearts and Rangers support and across Scotland as a whole!

That is Trump style delusional

Only rabid no voters/Loyalists believe that surely?

highlandjambo3
6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If the next seven games go ahead, the season will be completed. If football wasn’t suspended at the start of this most recent lockdown it’s very unlikely to be suspended going forward

Point to note......this week (or so) is estimated to be the biggest spike in COVID deaths the country has seen on a day by day basis.......anything could happen....ALL football could be canned and, it will not be high on the governments priority to care to much about the outcome.  In fact Joe public may very well be chuffed our so called “elite” sports people get their comeuppance after the recent carryon.

8 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Do people really equate Scottish Nationalists with IRA supporting Irish Republicans?

In that case there must be a lot of closet Republicans in the Hearts and Rangers support and across Scotland as a whole!

Obviously not all but there definitely has been an increase in republican supporting celtic fans voting for SNP. This may be because of Rangers fans Unionist support or it could just be put down to the  Labour Party being useless the last 5 years. 

The White Cockade
2 minutes ago, jager man said:

Obviously not all but there definitely has been an increase in republican supporting celtic fans voting for SNP. This may be because of Rangers fans Unionist support or it could just be put down to the  Labour Party being useless the last 5 years. 

How do you know who Celtic fans vote for ?

Don’t even know who fellow Hearts fans vote for

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

😂Huge parallels between football and politics in Scotland. There are exceptions of course but the reality is for huge swathes of the population your religion and your team determine your politics.. especially in the west 

The White Cockade
15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

😂Huge parallels between football and politics in Scotland. There are exceptions of course but the reality is for huge swathes of the population your religion and your team determine your politics.. especially in the west 

Must be missing out on why Catholics would all vote SNP ? Some do obviously as do a large number of. On Catholics who most likely outnumber the Celtic voting ones  

but yes the sectarian aspects of the Old Firm and politics in the West are a disgrace and ridiculous 

All the more reason for us to continue as the non sectarian club we are and not to live in the 17th Century

AlphonseCapone
24 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

About 10 guys and their dog that go to the football are actually religious. 

Folk that associate football teams with politics or religions are twats. 

28 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

My 'Edinburgh' Celtic pals, I'd say are

Scotland independence - half yes and half no.

Move Scotland or UK to republic and do away with monarchy, pretty unanimous.

One Ireland, pretty unanimous in favour.

29 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Sorry I do have a thing called friends and also work colleagues. Not trying to start any arguments just noticed a shift in the last few years. Although that may just be the country wide shift to the SNP. Anyway I'm now kicking myself for responding to political posts on a football fans forum. Won't happen again.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

About 10 guys and their dog that go to the football are actually religious. 

Folk that associate football teams with politics or religions are twats. 

None the less it’s not a small issue in Scotland, in fact it’s a ****ing enormous issue.  Having never lived or grown up in Edinburgh it’s always amazes me how naive Edinburgh residents / and those north of the central are to it.. they really don’t get it at all.  

that last bit wasn’t directed at you just a general point.. 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

All in favour of an issue that’s got **** all to do with them. Celtic fans in a nutshell 😂

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

All in favour of an issue that’s got **** all to do with them. Celtic fans in a nutshell 😂

They are Scots born, UK passport holders and generally of Irish decendency.

Don't see any problem with having a view.

AlphonseCapone
12 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

None the less it’s not a small issue in Scotland, in fact it’s a ****ing enormous issue.  Having never lived or grown up in Edinburgh it’s always amazes me how naive Edinburgh residents / and those north of the central are to it.. they really don’t get it at all.  

I grew up in West Lothian so trust me I get it. But the majority of the folk that spout off about religion in the context of football are neither actually religious, and are ignorant to the things they say. Folk spray painted "IRA" and "UDA/UVF" about the place where I grew up. Most of those same folk couldn't explain to you the difference between the Republic and Northern Ireland. 

Things are better than used to be imo though I can't speak for the West of Scotland. 

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

They are Scots born, UK passport holders and generally of Irish decendency.

Don't see any problem with having a view.

they have Palestinian passports as well. Let’s be honest, Celtic fans have a ****ing view on everything bar what’s right in front of their faces 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I grew up in West Lothian so trust me I get it. But the majority of the folk that spout off about religion in the context of football are neither actually religious, and are ignorant to the things they say. Folk spray painted "IRA" and "UDA/UVF" about the place where I grew up. Most of those same folk couldn't explain to you the difference between the Republic and Northern Ireland. 

Things are better than used to be imo though I can't speak for the West of Scotland. 

that is correct, it still affects their politics and the way they vote. Against their are of course exemptions to that statement..

but in general terms I wouldnt advise handing out SNP leaflets at ibrox, or conservative leaflets at parkhead. 

ToadKiller Dog
37 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I would say much the same of celtic people I know from where I live , I would add most that over 50 and I would say are still pro union and still Labour party though not as strong as before ,the younger ones are pro independence  .I know a good few living in near lochee in Dundee. 

I mind a poll done a couple of years ago rangers fans had over 40% saying they backed  independence if not the snp .,  I don't think you should judge any clubs support by the extreme element of their fan base, though the ugly sisters have a large number .

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

King Of The Cat Cafe
11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

they have Palestinian passports as well. Let’s be honest, Celtic fans have a ****ing view on everything bar what’s right in front of their faces 

In the context of Brexit, there is no harm in having two passports...😀

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.6e6e0658a5d9187600e3d8235c7a3219.jpg

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Must be missing out on why Catholics would all vote SNP ? Some do obviously as do a large number of. On Catholics who most likely outnumber the Celtic voting ones  

but yes the sectarian aspects of the Old Firm and politics in the West are a disgrace and ridiculous 

All the more reason for us to continue as the non sectarian club we are and not to live in the 17th Century

Well said, and as religion is thankfully slowly dying out most normal folk can see through this, not that most OF fans have anything to do with religion anyway. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

In the context of Brexit, there is no harm in having two passports...😀

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.6e6e0658a5d9187600e3d8235c7a3219.jpg

Quite a few folk have applied for Irish passports to keep access to the EU, I could do that myself but I will get a Republic of Scotland one soon enough. 

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If the next seven games go ahead, the season will be completed. If football wasn’t suspended at the start of this most recent lockdown it’s very unlikely to be suspended going forward. 

I mean seven between now and April. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Quite a few folk have applied for Irish passports to keep access to the EU, I could do that myself but I will get a Republic of Scotland one soon enough. 

Yep, my Edinburgh-born niece has one already. She is still a student and it thinking of going to Norway to continue her studies.  Irish passport gives her an advantage through the Erasmus Programme that a UK passport currently does not have.

21 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

So do we think our game v Raith will go ahead on Saturday?

The fact that's it's not been postponed or rescheduled already indicates that they are due to have sufficient players out of isolation by Saturday.

There is still the issue of further testing for them this week to overcome but you'd hope they are now adhering to the guidelines and distancing. On that basis they shouldn't have loads needing to be treated as close contacts this time if any further cases are identified.

Edited by Hungry hippo

11 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

The fact that's it's not been postponed or rescheduled already indicates that they are due to have sufficient players out of isolation by Saturday.

There is still the issue of further testing for them this week to overcome but you'd hope they are now adhering to the guidelines and distancing. On that basis they shouldn't have loads needing to be treated as close contacts this time if any further cases are identified.

👍 cheers

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Yep, my Edinburgh-born niece has one already. She is still a student and it thinking of going to Norway to continue her studies.  Irish passport gives her an advantage through the Erasmus Programme that a UK passport currently does not have.

NI residents have access to Erasmus too. Not sure what Norway’s status is re Erasmus though, Scotland might be one one of the partners from outside the EU in the scheme mentioned here if it can. 
https://www.studyinnorway.no/The-Erasmus-grant

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18971729.nicola-sturgeon-ask-tories-scotland-stay-erasmus-scheme/

Edited by Pasquale for King
Another link

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Or some loans maybe. It would be good to get the games played, if nothing more than for all our nerves. 

Forever Hearts
8 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=snp+ira+images&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi6o8vj8q3mAhWESxUIHevbBSIQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1366&bih=657

Phil D. Corners
6 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Smart girl. I understand the Irish passport is quite straightforward to get. Great to have in the pocket in the future. 

9 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Unfortunately some idiots still equate Celtic with Labour and Rangers with Conservatives. It’s called sectarianism.

9 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Naive? I see it as being mature and educated. 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Naive? I see it as being mature and educated. 

Sorry I think you misunderstand.. naive to the size and depth of the problem and the real world implications beyond football.

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )