SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Italian Lambretta
33 minutes ago, kila said:

Excellent statement

Can we not offer them a player or two on loan to help them get promoted

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Geoff Kilpatrick

Hold on a minute! Why would they NOT be talking about PCR tests? PCR are the only ones that can guarantee the highest level of accuracy. If they are doing lateral flow tests then there is a far higher risk of false positives.

Also, shafting full-time teams like Partick and Falkirk is an utter disgrace yet again. No doubt that snake Mulraney will be trying to get our division stopped too.

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Can we not offer them a player or two on loan to help them get promoted

Surely Partick aren't that desperate to want Frear or Roberts?

While I'm happy that they haven't suspended the championship in a way ( haven't yet anyway!) Can anyone please tell me the logic to suspending leagues 1 and 2 and below and keeping the championship and premiership leagues going? It just seems like 1 rule for some and another rule for others? If they were serious about people's health, Shouldn't they suspend every league for 3 weeks? Thus making it fair to everyone and restricting the virus more? Oh that's

right i forgot, the setup here is an absolute joke and they care not a jot about fairness and equality as we have experienced first hand.

These people at the top have ruined our game for me! The sooner the clubs in Scotland get over their greed and self interest and get together and start a breakaway league away from these muppets that includes at least 16 teams in the top flight the better.

Fozzyonthefence
19 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I wish you would try and understand the situation instead of emotion clouding your judgement

You cannot punish Celtic for failure to fulfil a fixture...easy to understand I hope (Kilmarnock etc failed to fulfil a fixture so questions need to be answered about that and a possible punishment to follow..note possible not certain)

The issue re going to Dubai is a totally separate matter and lots will be said about that but trying to link the two is just wrong and you can hardly blame Celtic for simply being a bigger club with more resources hence having the ability to play tonight

I never mentioned punishing Celtic for failure to fulfil a fixture and they are fulfilling it tonight anyway after the SPFL allowed them to postpone the original date. I was talking about punishing Celtic for Covid protocol breaches but carry on defending them if you must.  Weird behaviour. 

4 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

While I'm happy that they haven't suspended the championship in a way ( haven't yet anyway!) Can anyone please tell me the logic to suspending leagues 1 and 2 and below and keeping the championship and premiership leagues going? It just seems like 1 rule for some and another rule for others? If they were serious about people's health, Shouldn't they suspend every league for 3 weeks? Thus making it fair to everyone and restricting the virus more? Oh that's

right i forgot, the setup here is an absolute joke and they care not a jot about fairness and equality as we have experienced first hand.

These people at the top have ruined our game for me! The sooner the clubs in Scotland get over their greed and self interest and get together and start a breakaway league away from these muppets that includes at least 16 teams in the top flight the better.

The reasoning is that the top two tiers can afford make testing mandatory.

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

And almost all are full time clubs so easier to stay in bubbles, etc for less risk of spreading Covid.  Assuming the players don’t act like arseholes of course which is a bit of a leap to make with footballers. 

This mess could have been avoided by sensible reconstruction but no, alas the narrow minded short term thinking simpletons that run Scottish football clubs couldn’t see the big picture.

How long can the SPFL & SFA survive? Majority of members openly criticising the leadership or openly showing defiance to any decisions taken. In any normal situation the leaders and their organisations would be long gone!

Only in Scotland!

52 minutes ago, kila said:

Are you actually taking Celtic's side in all this? Are we to applaud Celtic for having a big squad and bow to the way money ****s the game?

Celtic took a huge risk going to Dubai and this game even got moved to accommodate it. It is so very obvious who runs Scottish football.

Michael Stewart was right.

Celtic has a backlog of league fixtures and the SPFL should have put one of them on for Wednesday past.

Edit - or was he?  Have they all been rescheduled?

Edited by DETTY29

A_A wehatethehibs

Am I missing something here. 42 league clubs average of 20 players each is 840 individuals... in the context of a target of about 100,000 vaccinated per week by the end of feb. Surely can just vaccinate all the players within a few weeks from now? 

Good way to get the public on side as well, make it a PR thing. Social media campaign of players all getting their jags with links to the full info the public needs to ensure anti vaxxers are fully debunked

46 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Everyone will be vaccinated by then. Calm down. The height of winter is at its peak now. We all now prey for a mild February and March, so games can get played. 

Highly doubt we'll all get the vaccine that quick! My wife is 6th (diabetic) on the list and I'd be very surprised if even she has had it by March.

11 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Yeah i understand that however their are part time teams in our league too, Are Alloa and Arbroath able to fund their covid testing?

I get that it's about safety etc it's just extremely flawed logic imo and also even for the full time clubs, These footballers at full time teams all have families/different bubbles that they go home to, For me it just seems like a lack of care from those that run our game imo.

P.s Partick thistle statement was brilliant, I hope other clubs are starting to wake up and smell the Shite from donkeycasters and cos breath now.

1 minute ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Yeah i understand that however their are part time teams in our league too, Are Alloa and Arbroath able to fund their covid testing?

I get that it's about safety etc it's just extremely flawed logic imo and also even for the full time clubs, These footballers at full time teams all have families/different bubbles that they go home to, For me it just seems like a lack of care from those that run our game imo.

P.s Partick thistle statement was brilliant, I hope other clubs are starting to wake up and smell the Shite from donkeycasters and cos breath now.

Yes, the Scottish Government just gave all Championship clubs £500k each. 

2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Listening to Sportsound on delay - McLeish didn't  miss a beat. Fantastic speech...

McLeish cares. He's been around trying to get Scottish football to change for a while.

He should give up really.

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Michael Stewart was right.

Celtic has a backlog of league fixtures and the SPFL should have put one of them on for Wednesday past.

Edit - or was he?  Have they all been rescheduled?

All played by end February.

Partick Thistle getting rodgered yet again. Bloody awful. 
Hope the Judas selfish wanks that put the boot into them are suitably shamed but I doubt it. Absolutely horrendous what they’ve been and are going through.

Scottish football really is run by arseholes and is full of arseholes

Edited by 1971fozzy

part_time_jambo
7 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Its definitely 158 quid in boots. I'm sure any astute businessman/woman could negotiate a discount. Easily covered by the 500k grant.

What about high heels?

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Am I missing something here. 42 league clubs average of 20 players each is 840 individuals... in the context of a target of about 100,000 vaccinated per week by the end of feb. Surely can just vaccinate all the players within a few weeks from now? 

Good way to get the public on side as well, make it a PR thing. Social media campaign of players all getting their jags with links to the full info the public needs to ensure anti vaxxers are fully debunked

There's very limited supply of vaccines at the moment. Using some of that supply on footballers, who have very low (not zero, but very low) risk of really serious ill health or death, when many people who are elderly, have serious existing health issues, or are at serious risk of infection through working in jobs such as front line health services, still face significant waits to be able to get vaccinated, would be nothing short of scandalous, and absolutely appalling PR. 

I get your point re the debunking anti-vaxxer stuff, but the time for footballers to be vaccinated, and to promote vaccination to the public, will be when all of the vulnerable/high priority groups have had their chance to be vaccinated and we're able to make vaccination available to the general public. 

What happens if teams in our league do not or cannot commit to testing?? Do they have to forfeit the games? 
It’s extremely worrying this season could get called at any point. One things fire sure every game is more important now to ensure we stay top of that league! 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Not disagreeing but I think one of the reasons the spfl (or possibly clubs) came up with the last time for not continuing was that players were out of contract and clubs couldn’t afford to renew or extend. Not sure if that would have any impact on our league or if PPV would enable clubs to extend out of contracts players deals. 

Potential to restart in April and finish end May for lower League's. 

18 game season should be accepted under these circumstances,  1 home 1 away 

manaliveits105

Scottish correspondent on ITV national news talking about Celtic situation and result tonight  says - theres no guarantee that there will be a title to fight for this year 

looks like Lawell and Celtic PR machine is putting pressure on the Weegia already 

manaliveits105
3 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Link? 

they read it out at end of sportsound but it may be further up this thread 

it is 2 hours ago

Edited by manaliveits105

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, jdl2002 said:

Agreed, Broadfoot tried to interrupt him on a number of occasions 

Broadfoot is quite annoying, small man syndrome and I would imagine his sarcastic tongue got him a few slaps growing up, hopefully anyway. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Going to be some teams looking remarkably suspicious during the next vote, you would have to include us in that group. 

Reconstruction anyone  :rofl:

manaliveits105
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Broadfoot is quite annoying, small man syndrome and I would imagine his sarcastic tongue got him a few slaps growing up, hopefully anyway. 

especially when he was under Michelle Mcmanus

2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I never mentioned punishing Celtic for failure to fulfil a fixture and they are fulfilling it tonight anyway after the SPFL allowed them to postpone the original date. I was talking about punishing Celtic for Covid protocol breaches but carry on defending them if you must.  Weird behaviour. 

He has previous for backing Celtic so no point wasting your time. As you rightly say, weird behaviour.

kingantti1874
29 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

What happens if teams in our league do not or cannot commit to testing?? Do they have to forfeit the games? 
It’s extremely worrying this season could get called at any point. One things fire sure every game is more important now to ensure we stay top of that league! 

for the 48th time. Championship teams have just been given £500k. Testing to the end of the season will cost 10% of that at most.

part_time_jambo
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yes, your missing the fact that fit and healthy 20 somethings will be way down the priority list for vaccinations. Or would you rather they take the place of care homes, nhs staff, vulnerable people etc?

10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

for the 48th time. Championship teams have just been given £500k. Testing to the end of the season will cost 10% of that at most.

:laugh2:

I share your frustrations. Maybe you should repeat your post every 1/2 hour or so.

Take some comfort nobody is mentioning playing Dunfermline tomorrow night which seems to be another popular idea on the forum today, especially considering we could not properly prepare for the game.

3 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I wish you would try and understand the situation instead of emotion clouding your judgement

You cannot punish Celtic for failure to fulfil a fixture...easy to understand I hope (Kilmarnock etc failed to fulfil a fixture so questions need to be answered about that and a possible punishment to follow..note possible not certain)

The issue re going to Dubai is a totally separate matter and lots will be said about that but trying to link the two is just wrong and you can hardly blame Celtic for simply being a bigger club with more resources hence having the ability to play tonight

According to the guys on the radio hibs were warned with punishment if they didn’t play the game tonight. 

SectionDJambo
12 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

According to the guys on the radio hibs were warned with punishment if they didn’t play the game tonight. 

Hibs had their chance, along with all the others, to break the mould of governance of Scottish football. They decided, along with the others, that demoting the 3 clubs, especially Hearts, and was more fun and worth all the financial hit that was coming their way as a result. 
Ron thought we’d all ditch Hearts to go see his Hibs franchise in the top league.

Henry McLeish was well worth listening to earlier on Sportsound. Never been a big fan but this was the most sense I've ever heard him speak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p093r7sw From 50:00.

If you want a flavour have a read of this:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/1877227/henry-mcleish-league-one-two-suspension-celtic-dubai/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by gnasher75

3 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Hold on a minute! Why would they NOT be talking about PCR tests? PCR are the only ones that can guarantee the highest level of accuracy. If they are doing lateral flow tests then there is a far higher risk of false positives.

Also, shafting full-time teams like Partick and Falkirk is an utter disgrace yet again. No doubt that snake Mulraney will be trying to get our division stopped too.

its PCR tests that give the false positives. When liverpool was mass tested it was with lateral flow tests. They went from tier 4 to 2 virtually overnight. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

its PCR tests that give the false positives. When liverpool was mass tested it was with lateral flow tests. They went from tier 4 to 2 virtually overnight. 

PCR's only give false positives at an extreme number of cycles. They are the ones that should be used.

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

PCR's only give false positives at an extreme number of cycles. They are the ones that should be used.

They can also give false negatives which can cause an even bigger problem. The rate is especially high in asymptomatic testing which would almost always be the case in football.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

What about accuracy? The rate of false negatives — a test that says you don’t have the virus when you actually do have the virus — varies depending on how long infection has been present: in one study, the false-negative rate was 20% when testing was performed five days after symptoms began, but much higher (up to 100%) earlier in infection.

The false positive rate — that is, how often the test says you have the virus when you actually do not — should be close to zero. Most false-positive results are thought to be due to lab contamination or other problems with how the lab has performed the test, not limitations of the test itself.

Edit: Not asymptomatic but early diagnosis.

Edited by graygo

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

They can also give false negatives which can cause an even bigger problem. The rate is especially high in asymptomatic testing which would almost always be the case in football.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

What about accuracy? The rate of false negatives — a test that says you don’t have the virus when you actually do have the virus — varies depending on how long infection has been present: in one study, the false-negative rate was 20% when testing was performed five days after symptoms began, but much higher (up to 100%) earlier in infection.

The false positive rate — that is, how often the test says you have the virus when you actually do not — should be close to zero. Most false-positive results are thought to be due to lab contamination or other problems with how the lab has performed the test, not limitations of the test itself.

Edit: Not asymptomatic but early diagnosis.

Which is why there should be two PCR tests of close contacts while isolating, ideally at Day 3 and Day 11 in a 14 day isolation period.

9 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

What about high heels?

Boom 💥 💥 

12 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I'd be pretty miffed if a professional footballer was vaccinated before...oh....let's say someone who teaches additional needs kids who has already had Covid from working in close proximity to vulnerable kids and staff and continues to do so today.....

(Kids aren't in yet so I'm drinking my coffee and on JKB)

Seriously though.

Vaccinations for the key workers long before footballers is the most sensible approach.

I see a few of the L1 and L2 chairmen are mumping there gums about the league being stopped. These people had a chance to do something about the way scottish football is run but they decided to listen to there boss peter Liewell. Now that Celtic have basically shafted them i have no sympathy at all for them ( only two teams that i have any sympathy for are Patrick Thistle and Stranraer)

avhudtheteeshirt
14 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

If the SPFL/SFA never bought the big white elephant that is Hampden, they could have afforded to pay for the lower league testing!!!!!

23 minutes ago, Weebroon98 said:

I see a few of the L1 and L2 chairmen are mumping there gums about the league being stopped. These people had a chance to do something about the way scottish football is run but they decided to listen to there boss peter Liewell. Now that Celtic have basically shafted them i have no sympathy at all for them ( only two teams that i have any sympathy for are Patrick Thistle and Stranraer)

Dont forget Falkirk and East Fife.

14 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

All the wee diddy teams now regretting taking the bribes from the hooped demons last year.  Hard to be sympathetic tbh.  

This I also include Hibs, St Mirren and Kilmarnock in this category they had the chance to back an inquiry into the spfl but didn't. Not so fair now eh?

I just wonder, if Rangers were to offer to pay for an investigation in to the SPFL, how many clubs would take up this offer now?

Geoff Kilpatrick

It must be getting near to the time where Doncaster goes on Sportsound again and Tom English isn't allowed to ask him anything while Dick Gordon salad tosses.

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )