SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

kingantti1874
10 hours ago, GMEdinburgh said:

I think the reason they are pushing the colts thing again is not to benefit Hearts but its is to keep the Glasgow clubs SPFL licence in place incase they decide to join an Atlantic league of some kind in the future, if and when that goes tits up there is no reason to reapply to the SPLF as they have already kept their membership basically having their cake and eating it.  

an Atlantic league won’t be limited to rangers and Celtic.  Hearts, hibs and Aberdeen have all been talking about being involved Also. 

and so we should, leave Scottish football behind at the earliest opportunity. Especially after the events of the past 12 months

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, Rods said:

The Sunday Mail starting the scaremongering already I see. 

read that.

I don’t think there will be much appetite to postpone unless the government insist..

that aside.. they have missed a crucial point - at a maximum we should only need to get to 75% of the fixtures (20 games - maybe less) before mid June NOT complete a full season.  I don’t think it will be an issue .. key word being “think” as logic doesn’t always apply.

Really not sure leagues will shutdown the risk is still quite low in football. Think it will just keep plodding along and eventually we will end up with 4 games in week etc for teams. I genuinely think they will finish this season at all costs. A massive issue for clubs is next season. The CMO saying there will be social distance measures next winter! I can't see crowds coming back next season. I doubt any team has made any contingency plans for that!

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

Given the current figures and the pressure on the NHS etc I do think football will be stopped sooner rather than later. 

The football 'leadership' will then, once again, be given the opportunity to show how utterly incompetent they are. 

Not so sure.  The financial hit would finish quite a few clubs. More likely it will continue along as it has been. It’s a distraction for many during this current mess and that will help.

avhudtheteeshirt
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

I see what you're saying, Deevers. Mind you if it finishes off a few clubs that shafted us last year then feck them. 

I just feel that the tide is heading towards a shutdown. 

And we will probably be the losers again!!!!

The Aberdeen idiot and Doncaster have gone all quiet it seems, Hayes full salary will be due at the end of the season (playing for nothing at the moment) and I hope they have to take out a Government loan to pay him.  

59 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I see what you're saying, Deevers. Mind you if it finishes off a few clubs that shafted us last year then feck them. 

I just feel that the tide is heading towards a shutdown. 

Most of them deserve everything bad that comes their way.  If the season is curtailed they would lose the TV money. That would finish one or two pretty quickly. I’ve got a feeling that things will stagger along as it has been, unless of course someone makes a complete tit of themselves and does something that will force the SG into halting the game. I would not put that past Celtic.

19 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Most of them deserve everything bad that comes their way.  If the season is curtailed they would lose the TV money. That would finish one or two pretty quickly. I’ve got a feeling that things will stagger along as it has been, unless of course someone makes a complete tit of themselves and does something that will force the SG into halting the game. I would not put that past Celtic.

I suspect the SG would want any guilty club punished by the ruling body(s) than to be seen to shut down the game.

I think they realise the games morale factor to a locked down population. Govt intervention is a last resort, imo, so any blame would fall squarely on clubs and governing bodies.

So that probably means there will be a shut down...

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

an Atlantic league won’t be limited to rangers and Celtic.  Hearts, hibs and Aberdeen have all been talking about being involved Also. 

and so we should, leave Scottish football behind at the earliest opportunity. Especially after the events of the past 12 months

Sorry I meant that the colts teams were only Celtic and Rangers. The whole set up of Scottish Football is goosed with the lack of reserve leagues etc, even the elite schools are not producing what you expect effectively league 1 or championship level players at best with the odd exception of the like of Billy Gilmour who would have made it with or without the schools/academy.  I used to think Scottish Football would have benefitted from Rangers and Celtic leaving as there may have been 3-4 teams that could potentially win it from 1 season to the next but with what happened over the summer has completely changed my mind as it been proven that the vast majority of Clubs don't have the vision or willingness to improve our game going forward. The SPFL and SFA for me are not fit for purpose. 

8 minutes ago, Boris said:

I suspect the SG would want any guilty club punished by the ruling body(s) than to be seen to shut down the game.

I think they realise the games morale factor to a locked down population. Govt intervention is a last resort, imo, so any blame would fall squarely on clubs and governing bodies.

Thereby is the problem. Governing bodies that run scared of doing anything that might upset Celtic.  The way that they allowed them to pudpone games for their jolly in Dubai day it all.  It only allowed it, but were completely complicate in the organisation of it. 

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

read that.

I don’t think there will be much appetite to postpone unless the government insist..

that aside.. they have missed a crucial point - at a maximum we should only need to get to 75% of the fixtures (20 games - maybe less) before mid June NOT complete a full season.  I don’t think it will be an issue .. key word being “think” as logic doesn’t always apply.

Yeh agreed on the 75% 

Waddell is missing one point. The SPFL went to court in defence of Relegation and Promotion their own laywer said it was a game fundamental. 

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, Boris said:

The SG will only intervene if they think the football authorities are not dealing with any breaches strongly enough. Given their record so far its only a matter of time 

LarrysRightFoot

From the little I heard earlier numbers are out of control in Scotland and continue to increase. 

IMO all the leagues below the Premiership will be ended in the next week or so. I think we are the only club out with the Prem who test twice a week - other clubs only test if someone has tested positive (I could be wrong though).

Btw I don’t want the league to end, just think it’s likely.   

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

The Treasurer
10 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

From the little I heard earlier numbers are out of control in Scotland and continue to increase. 

IMO all the leagues below the Premiership will be ended in the next week or so. I think we are the only club out with the Prem who test twice a week - other clubs only test if someone has tested positive (I could be wrong though).

There is the factor of the BBC contract for the Championship to take into account. I know its buttons but would still have to be paid back if they pull the plug on the lower leagues 

37 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

The SG will only intervene if they think the football authorities are not dealing with any breaches strongly enough. Given their record so far its only a matter of time 

I don't disagree, however if this does happen the blame lies at the door of spfl/SFA, although I suspect it will be spun the opposite way. Aided and abetted by a supine media.

Seymour M Hersh

If Celtic have some sort of ulterior motive to have the league declared null & void (and who would put it past them and Doncaster now that the league is looking beyond them) while it would be outrageous if found to be true it would also be funny as **** if the other arse cheek was denied their first trophy by jiggery pokery. :lol:

3 hours ago, Boris said:

I don't disagree, however if this does happen the blame lies at the door of spfl/SFA, although I suspect it will be spun the opposite way. Aided and abetted by a supine media.

Not so sure you can be certain that the SpFL/ sfa will be given the option.

The Scottish government has taken a more cautious approach and looked to establish differences, even where there are none require - the second point could easily be levied at all the devolved govts. it is politics after all. 
I hope we can stay open, being stuck in the house and having football on the tv keeps you occupied and at home. 
 It also doesn’t really increase the R rate ... so to me any cancellation would be a political one and a wrong one - sfa / spfl wouldn’t vote for it - would they ?

3 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Not so sure you can be certain that the SpFL/ sfa will be given the option.

The Scottish government has taken a more cautious approach and looked to establish differences, even where there are none require - the second point could easily be levied at all the devolved govts. it is politics after all. 
I hope we can stay open, being stuck in the house and having football on the tv keeps you occupied and at home. 
 It also doesn’t really increase the R rate ... so to me any cancellation would be a political one and a wrong one - sfa / spfl wouldn’t vote for it - would they ?

I hope it will not come to this as we are all pretty much sick to the back of our teeth with what is going on and football on TV is one of the very few things that it keeping many of us sane. Logically, people all over are working in many different controlled environments, of which football is just one, and I cannot believe that the rate of infection generated by it is higher than in other workplaces. We really should not need to return to how things were last Spring as the Government has had 10 months now to emergency plan working with a spike of the like we are currently facing; it is not as if it wasn't forecast. I fully understand the fear that football could be singled out because it is so high profile and the lapses are so public, but why? Just so that the Government can be seen to be different, or even just to show who is in charge?  It would not be a very adult way for any Government to behave and it would be a rather silly thing to do. For this reason alone I think the fears are exaggerated but, as you say, it's politics after all.

9 hours ago, Deevers said:

Not so sure.  The financial hit would finish quite a few clubs. More likely it will continue along as it has been. It’s a distraction for many during this current mess and that will help.

It will allow clubs to put their players back on furlough. Keep them going until the spring. 

I've just heard that Elite sport in England and Wales is stopping from tomorrow night.

If true we might be following suit up here. 

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

If Celtic have some sort of ulterior motive to have the league declared null & void (and who would put it past them and Doncaster now that the league is looking beyond them) while it would be outrageous if found to be true it would also be funny as **** if the other arse cheek was denied their first trophy by jiggery pokery. :lol:

And us promotion for another year.😭

William H. Bonney
2 minutes ago, Homme said:

I've just heard that Elite sport in England and Wales is stopping from tomorrow night.

where did you hear that? 

3 minutes ago, Homme said:

Where did you hear it?

Edited by Hungry hippo

2 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

where did you hear that? 

1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

Where did you hear it?

A friend of mine has heard from two sources. One an Ospreys player and the other a guy working for a law firm representing PL clubs.

How true i don't know but I guess we will wait and see.

3 minutes ago, Homme said:

A friend of mine has heard from two sources. One an Ospreys player and the other a guy working for a law firm representing PL clubs.

How true i don't know but I guess we will wait and see.

👍

20 minutes ago, Homme said:

How long for ?

If elite sport is suspended will be listening very carefully for clues from the government about the criteria for resuming. Would expect that they will possibly be aiming for something in line with however long the current level of lockdown remains in place.

3 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

If elite sport is suspended will be listening very carefully for clues from the government about the criteria for resuming. Would expect that they will possibly be aiming for something in line with however long the current level of lockdown remains in place.

Or until everyone has had at least the first injection. 

Even if happening in England their numbers are alot higher so would not imagine we would follow suit straight away.

Having said that Celtic depacable does not help !!

5 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Today’s numbers are 25% down on last Sunday. 

At the start of April we had 4 days of more than 200 people being admitted to hospital, the numbers form January on daily admissions have not been above 200. In the same period there was many days of more than 20 being moved to ICU, we have not reached those heights either. 

6 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Or until everyone has had at least the first injection. 

Maybe everyone in a certain risk category. Can't see it being absolutely everyone in the country as Gove indicated would be Autumn before all are offered the first injection.

Maybe everyone in a certain risk category. Can't see it being absolutely everyone in the country as Gove indicated would be Autumn before all are offered the first injection.

Afraid so. How can you justify professional footballers getting before anyone else ?

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

We stopped testing in November I think. only started it again when Ginnelly caught it but yeah we’re the only ones doing so. I think clubs might need to before Scottish cup games against top league teams as they did in the league cup but not sure. 

17 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

How long for ?

If true, then the March review too?

EPL maybe could try and move to more secure bubbles like golf, F1 as part of any early negotiations to open up again,  but doubt the players and coaches would go for it.

kingantti1874

Whilst we aren’t in a good position in Scotland, we are in a better position than the rest of the U.K.  that said I’ve no doubt that Scottish government will follow England if they go that way.

21CC1BF0-29E7-43B5-8D27-6167C4560C3D.jpeg

1F019145-28FD-43B9-BA6F-F5E348861FC6.jpeg

Just now, jr ewing said:

Afraid so. How can you justify professional footballers getting before anyone else ?

I wasn't suggesting they get vaccinated ahead of anyone else. Just that sport may resume once some other measures start to be reduced a bit.

I wasn't suggesting they get vaccinated ahead of anyone else. Just that sport may resume once some other measures start to be reduced a bit.

Maybe. Hope so.

I think this would be more accurate. New measures only been going for a few days so can't tell if they've been working. Might be a few more days before they look to change. Although with the crowds at Marine and the Celtic debacle they might think they need to stop it.

Edited by AHS51

9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Whilst we aren’t in a good position in Scotland, we are in a better position than the rest of the U.K.  that said I’ve no doubt that Scottish government will follow England if they go that way.

Our NHS, isn't as over-run and may be the SG could give it a couple of weeks to continue if testing protocols in place but also JRG very quickly offered some more stringent protocols.

1 person per car only to training and games

Restricted contact training sessions

No team meals

and so on.

If England stops.

Good job the SG and Scottish football has a fantastic working relationship.......and football hasn't continually been derogatory about the SG over the last few months.

Edited by DETTY29

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

The new variant along with urban/ heavily populated areas are the causes of increased rates, particularly in SE England and Wales.  In Scotland, Dumfries and Galloway rates are more than 3 times Edinburgh due to new variant. 
I hope elite sport stays on and any decisions are made to reduce the R rate and keep people at home (watching live sport does that)

LarrysRightFoot
30 minutes ago, jamie1874 said:

Today’s numbers are 25% down on last Sunday. 

At the start of April we had 4 days of more than 200 people being admitted to hospital, the numbers form January on daily admissions have not been above 200. In the same period there was many days of more than 20 being moved to ICU, we have not reached those heights either. 

"We're seeing case numbers which are hovering around 2,000 per day... so we've got an accelerating situation on our hands and we have to constantly review whether more restrictions are required."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/covid-scotland-john-swinney-warns-19597557.amp

LarrysRightFoot
21 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’m sure I read within the last couple of days Scotland’s R number is the highest in the UK outside of London at present 

2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

"We're seeing case numbers which are hovering around 2,000 per day... so we've got an accelerating situation on our hands and we have to constantly review whether more restrictions are required."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/covid-scotland-john-swinney-warns-19597557.amp

Yip I know what is said by the media, but I would rather read the published Government stats instead of this constant  push for tougher measures and how stats are being used by the media for click bait reporting. 

This is the official Gov stats on Covid since the start. (last tab on data gives you all the details) 

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

The numbers i quoted earlier are accurate. Today is 25% less than last Sunday. (So since we went into Lockdown we have went down for the same day the last week, the first true day you can measure results against). Plus admissions into ICU by day are not at the levels we seen at the start of April when we had 20+ people per day, we have not reached those levels. 

However I am sure one of the real issues we currently have is absence rates in the NHS. Last lockdown, there were no testing, therefore only NHS who showed symptoms would have been off, now regular testing is resulting in more absence and more pressures.  2 to 3 times the normal absence levels. 

LarrysRightFoot
13 minutes ago, jamie1874 said:

Yip I know what is said by the media, but I would rather read the published Government stats instead of this constant  push for tougher measures and how stats are being used by the media for click bait reporting. 

This is the official Gov stats on Covid since the start. (last tab on data gives you all the details) 

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

The numbers i quoted earlier are accurate. Today is 25% less than last Sunday. (So since we went into Lockdown we have went down for the same day the last week, the first true day you can measure results against). Plus admissions into ICU by day are not at the levels we seen at the start of April when we had 20+ people per day, we have not reached those levels. 

However I am sure one of the real issues we currently have is absence rates in the NHS. Last lockdown, there were no testing, therefore only NHS who showed symptoms would have been off, now regular testing is resulting in more absence and more pressures.  2 to 3 times the normal absence levels. 

I’m only quoting the snippet I heard on the radio this morning - had to google the story. 

However, it’s a government official saying/quoting these numbers.

I agree part of the higher numbers is down to more testing - however, as Leitch said lower league footballers aren’t being tested and many of them will have it and be spreading it. 

Also, it’d be good to hear some players come out and speak about - are they afraid? Does it affect their mind set/performance? (I’m not talking about the top players who are loaded and some of whom obviously don’t care). 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

And us promotion for another year.😭

Indeed but being where we are the likelihood is we'll be in the first group shafted by them.  At least seeing Steven Gerrard's The Rangers losing out would be amusing. 

kingantti1874
27 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I’m sure I read within the last couple of days Scotland’s R number is the highest in the UK outside of London at present 

I don’t thinks that’s true either.. as I say the situation is bad of course but not in comparison to our neighbours.. as someone above said - there are local peaks which are very high.. Dumfries and Galloway for instance

A35438EC-1CC6-4C97-A050-721E4FA91BF6.jpeg

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )