SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

45 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Sky run our game. We couldn't finish the league because it had to start on Aug 1st. It had to start then because Sky wanted it to start then because they wanted some football to broadcast before their real priority, the EPL, started up again in mid-Sept. The new deal depended on that start date as we were told. There was no other reason for it having to start then. After that, Sky hasn't bothered with us. They are terrible at promoting Scottish football.

If it wasn't for that need to start Aug 1st or whenever it was, we could have finished the league and started the new season at the same time as the EPL. Although increasingly I'm thinking getting demoted might work out quite well for us all things considered.

If you're suggesting that Sky viewers in England were waiting with baited breath to watch the creme de la creme of Scottish football I can assure you you, no one in England gives a toss. 

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

If you're suggesting that Sky viewers in England were waiting with baited breath to watch the creme de la creme of Scottish football I can assure you you, no one in England gives a toss. 

Meets Sky’s contractual obligation on live football so they can start charging again though. 

FarmerTweedy
56 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Rumour going about that Kyle Walker had a party with other EPL players and a good few tested positive for covid. 
anyone else heard this ? 
If true it’s horrendous from him

No idea if it's true or not, but wasn't it him that was done for having a 'party' with a couple of sex workers during the first lockdown? 

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Meets Sky’s contractual obligation on live football so they can start charging again though. 

I don't get your point. 

Maybe it's the wine. 

8 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I don't get your point. 

Maybe it's the wine. 

When there was no live sport during lockdown they stopped charging skysports subscribers. When some live sport came back they started charging again. 

15 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

When there was no live sport during lockdown they stopped charging skysports subscribers. When some live sport came back they started charging again. 

Fair enough.

👍

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

No idea if it's true or not, but wasn't it him that was done for having a 'party' with a couple of sex workers during the first lockdown? 

It was. Like I say a rumour so no substance

9 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Rumour going about that Kyle Walker had a party with other EPL players and a good few tested positive for covid. 
anyone else heard this ? 
If true it’s horrendous from him

https://global247news.com/2020/12/31/kyle-walkers-christmas-party-in-london-causes-premier-league-covid-infections/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

On 30/12/2020 at 23:22, NANOJAMBO said:

I went to my local club on Boxing Day expecting it to be 600 fans. It was 1700 in a 6700 stadium (with one end closed off).  I reckon 60/70% of fans wore masks and everyone was pissed off being told to wait to exit the stadium in turn. Today we're now in Tier 3.  No one is surprised. It's a total shambles at football grounds. 

Sure rule is no more than 50% of capacity subject to maximums depending on council Covid tiering and that social distancing can be adherd to.

Most of the highlights of games I've seen with crowds you do wonder (and I include rugby with crowds) especially lower league stuff and terracing about too many folk doing as they please.

Even a piece I watched about Robbie Savage getting kids back playing had him not SDing (probably allowed to be if considered a coach), had some parents sitting only 1 seat apart and one group of about 10 had converged at the back the stand.

As much as I want to get back to see a live game, can I be bothered with the hassle until we are covid restriction free, especially with what we know the stewards will need to put up with?

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

If it's not true, then I'm sure there will be solicitor's letters flying around left, right, and centre.

if it is true then likewise

Guest ToqueJambo
On 31/12/2020 at 17:11, NANOJAMBO said:

They tried to market it to the English audience though in the absence of any other football. "Look lads, some football!" I've always thought we should market our game in a packaged up show, like C4 used to do with Italian football, to jaded proper English football fans sick of the EPL circus as proper, non-nonsense throwback football. Sky are not the ones to do that though. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Brighton Jambo

If the SG is talking another full lockdown does that include no professional sport?  And/or does that mean professional sport could only continue with full testing in place which would mean the championship would need to stop? 

I am worried as I suspect the FM would like nothing more than to shut football down not least given the mass crowds that have been seen as a result of Celtic and Rangers. 

33 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

If the SG is talking another full lockdown does that include no professional sport?  And/or does that mean professional sport could only continue with full testing in place which would mean the championship would need to stop? 

I am worried as I suspect the FM would like nothing more than to shut football down not least given the mass crowds that have been seen as a result of Celtic and Rangers. 

All indications are football would continue.

I could see more restrictions eg footballers not allowed to go to supermarkets. 

I’m very concerned (and paranoid) about the consequences of the Scottish Government decisions today. If we do go back into something similar to March there will be no way teams not testing will be allowed to continue to play. I can’t see NS shutting schools and letting Brechin FC carry on playing. 

The Premiership will see it as a perfect opportunity to raise the drawbridge and deny promotion and relegation. I don’t, and will never, trust SPFL to do the fair thing and I fear we are about to be screwed again.

1 minute ago, washniklaw said:

I’m very concerned (and paranoid) about the consequences of the Scottish Government decisions today. If we do go back into something similar to March there will be no way teams not testing will be allowed to continue to play. I can’t see NS shutting schools and letting Brechin FC carry on playing. 

The Premiership will see it as a perfect opportunity to raise the drawbridge and deny promotion and relegation. I don’t, and will never, trust SPFL to do the fair thing and I fear we are about to be screwed again.

They may try to stop football below “elite” level like they did with training. 

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

They may try to stop football below “elite” level like they did with training. 

Exactly. The answer is the SG grant is used to implement testing but I wouldn’t be shocked if most clubs choose to use it for other purposes and null and void the league.

kingantti1874
28 minutes ago, washniklaw said:

Exactly. The answer is the SG grant is used to implement testing but I wouldn’t be shocked if most clubs choose to use it for other purposes and null and void the league.

surely they can’t have the grant and furlough players .. 

It's been my fear all along this season that the stopping of the league is the one thing that would deny us promotion. When it comes to fairness no way would it surprise me to see us screed over again. 

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

it’s over and above any existing measures I would think. 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

it’s over and above any existing measures I would think. 

surely though if they choose to furlough players then they can’t also have a grant? 

anyway - time will tel.. anyone know how today’s announcement impacts footy? 

Clerry Jambo
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

surely though if they choose to furlough players then they can’t also have a grant? 

No mention of sports

Don't see a thread on this.

Presumably that's Scottish football on ice for January?

Just as well we're top of the league.

You would imagine teams will be told to start testing soon. 

This is going to ruin some clubs. I am not going to laugh yet as I am sure they will find a way to harm Hearts.

highlandjambo3
10 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Where you hearing this ?

16 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

They think it's all over- it is now. 😁

People have to work from home where possible. That's not going to affect pro sport, so no change for football from today's announcement. 

7 minutes ago, lou said:

Not been mentioned yet, hoping someone asks the question

Breaking news.  Not too much different from tier 4, but schools closed, and meeting people outdoors limited to two people.   Cannot leave home, unless essential, which is same as now, but now written into law.  No limit on how often you can go out for exercise though.  Work from home if you can. 

Not sure how it will impact football, or the holidaying tramps. 

17 minutes ago, Rods said:

You would imagine teams will be told to start testing soon. 

This is going to ruin some clubs. I am not going to laugh yet as I am sure they will find a way to harm Hearts.

You have clubs that are barely professional sitting on £500k government handouts. They can afford it or withdraw from the league. 

20 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Dunno if that will change the football tbh

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid ( January Lockdown )
Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, tynewater said:

People have to work from home where possible. That's not going to affect pro sport, so no change for football from today's announcement. 

Fifa Tourney to be played out by the teams to complete the season.

Hungry hippo

Don't expect football to be impacted. Football was never  banned in the initial lockdown - it was the leagues that took the decision.

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( January Lockdown announced )

So does travelling to play football fall in to the essential worker category? Not just for training but obviously for games. I don't believe organised sport was addressed at all in the statement.

2 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Don't expect football to be impacted. Football was never  banned in the initial lockdown - it was the leagues that took the decision.

I didn't realise that so had to google it. You're spot on. From BBC article last March: 

The SPFL has acted after the UK government escalated its response and First Minister Nicola Sturgeon had advised events of more than 500 people should be cancelled.

The all-encompassing decision has been taken to ensure a consistency of message and the idea of playing behind closed doors was ruled out due to the unavailability of emergency service provision and after PFA Scotland said their members would not be prepared to "put their health and safety at risk".

With vaccine this week, we are in a better scenario than back in March, so I'm hopeful too that nothing will change.

Lone Striker
10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Might stop Gorgeous George attending. 

😀   Unlikely, he's already contracted to market Queen of the South's new 3rd strip 😉

George Galloway: Sing When You're Winning | FourFourTwo

No chance we’ll be playing 

Maybe top flight but they’ve been embarrassing even without a full lockdown. Unlikely they’ll be trusted to not F things up

Edited by R1874

15 minutes ago, tynewater said:

Certainly not the top league, but in our league you have part time teams with people doing a different day job which maybe blurs the lines a little

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

😀   Unlikely, he's already contracted to market Queen of the South's new 3rd strip 😉

George Galloway: Sing When You're Winning | FourFourTwo

🤣🤣🤣🤣

18 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Fifa Tourney to be played out by the teams to complete the season.

We could complete the season on Esports. 

24 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Breaking news.  Not too much different from tier 4, but schools closed, and meeting people outdoors limited to two people.   Cannot leave home, unless essential, which is same as now, but now written into law.  No limit on how often you can go out for exercise though.  Work from home if you can. 

Not sure how it will impact football, or the holidaying tramps. 

No cross border travel unless deemed essential. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Every other business has?

43 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Hopefully they block all flights and the tramps from Glasgow are stranded, 3 nil lose every game missed.

:lol: fingers crossed. 

Italian Lambretta
24 minutes ago, Manny1874 said:

Scottish Government guidance is here https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/

Reasonable excuses to go out include "for those involved in professional sports, for training, coaching or competing in an event"

Will this not depend on whether or not a professional team and League are testing regularly?

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )