SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

2 hours ago, jock _turd said:

I may just be looking at this a bit too simplistically BUT if One team goes down... then so must two! Why on earth would the second top of the Championship not say what is good for the goose is good for the gander? There is more than just the fate of Hearts at stake here there are other teams through the entire Scottish football leagues. I think the only solution is for the season to be played to a finish whenever than may be possible.

One other thing to bear in mind here is the very important fact that this virus is not suddenly going to disappear it will be around for years to come, it is for this reason that I personally do not see the football leagues starting again anytime soon otherwise all we have done will be for nothing and the cycle will start again.

Exactly what I was thinking , are we just abandoning the play off . 

Theyre just making this up as they  going along and some clowns on here think that's reasonable. 

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lets be honest, the only 2 teams giving a **** are going to be Hearts and Partick Thistle. 

Rangers will reluctantly accept they are heading down the swanny, unless they accept,  whilst Celtics 9 in a row will forever remain tainted.

I don't expect any sympathy or outrage at all beyond our own 4 walls, we are not a popular team

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I don't remember much fallout when Sheffield utd took west ham to the high court over the Tevez affair. 

Possibly more an issue when it’s against national organisation decisions? No idea. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

we are not a popular team

Aye, as you’ve been making the case well for on here recently.

David McCaig
12 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Lets be honest, the only 2 teams giving a **** are going to be Hearts and Partick Thistle. 

Rangers will reluctantly accept they are heading down the swanny, unless they accept,  whilst Celtics 9 in a row will forever remain tainted.

I don't expect any sympathy or outrage at all beyond our own 4 walls, we are not a popular team

I'm pretty sure Falkirk will have an issue... 1 point behind Raith and still have to play them at home!!

GorgieRules22
14 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I think you need to take a closer look at the leagues.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

True, but its implications would probably do more harm to the SPFL and SFA if FIFA reacted, and affect our European competitions.

If they banned Scotland from international tournaments that would end the nation's torment, and if it affected the UEFA Places it would be unfortunate for Celtic and Sevco. 🤣

This is my understanding of the FIFA rule as well. Essentially, FIFA punishes the national association of court cases take place. In other words, if Hearts (or anyone else) were determined to go to court, the SPL would probably back down unless it was very sure of it's legal position.

There are so many problems with declaring the season as it stands, that I just can't see them doing it.

There are people on the board with a vested interest in whatever decision is taken. That makes it difficult for any decisions to be fair. A lot of people have touched on the sporting integrity part as well. It just doesn't make sporting sense to call it when it can't even be said which teams will be in the top 6 post split, far less anything else. It is very likely that Celtic will win the title and it is likely that we will be relegated, but neither is certain. Other than Sevco finishing second, nothing else is close to being settled.

24 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Popularity is irrelevant.

More teams will also have an interest not just the two mentioned.

Edited by Jamboelite

3 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

I think you need to take a closer look at the leagues.

Stranraer are well down, Cove well up.

Falkirk will complain, us and thistle  would be roasted. But many will argue that the the teams have been the worst/bottom the majority of the season.  The championship clubs would much rather have us and Raith in the league than Partick Dundee Utd that’s for sure. 

No promotion from the lowland/Highland will save Brechin (who’s chairman is on the board).

League reconstruction hasn’t been on the agenda at all recently either and there’s too much for clubs lower down to lose if it goes ahead.   

I still think it will be league champions declared in all leagues but no promotion/relegation as it couldn’t be guaranteed in any of the leagues who should be relegated.  Putting the nose out of joints at Dundee Utd Raith and Cove but suitably compensating them. 

Just now, Jamboelite said:

Popularity is irrelevant 

It is when the clubs will sort this out with each other. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
23 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

To mangle something that John Lennon did not say about Ringo Starr: Sometimes it seems we are not even the most popular team on kickback.

37 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I'm not sure any team is 'popular'. The OF get their way through wielding power not popularity and every club looks out for itself.  Rather than teams it's probably the dynamics between individuals that has a major influence. So, Ann Budge is key here.

kingantti1874
44 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Then we should boycott away games and hit every single club in the pocket for the rest of time.. 

9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Then we should boycott away games and hit every single club in the pocket for the rest of time.. 

Never going to happen. 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Your devotion to Levein is akin to Hitler thinking the Battle of the Bulge was a great idea.

Not seeing the writing was on the wall months ago, seeing resources were dried up, battle weary forces now drained of morale and top performers. Only way was down.  Gies peace, man. 

(sorry to divert briefly but this poster must be a troll) 🧐🙃

I was discussing the current manager. You’ve embarrassed yourself with that Hitler analogy. 

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Never going to happen. 

should happen. No way should we just roll over.. I will never attend another away game 

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Nothing to legally stop it but they would be in breach of FIFA article 59. All a bit messy. 

Is this not about taking the sfa to court ? Our target would be the spfl, I’m not sure it’s considered the same thing by fifa as it’s the sfa that’s the member association. 

GorgieRules22
14 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Never going to happen. 

You say that but you can add me and three others to the list that won’t be travelling away if we’re relegated....time to make a stand.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
27 minutes ago, S Form said:

I'm not sure any team is 'popular'. The OF get their way through wielding power not popularity and every club looks out for itself.  Rather than teams it's probably the dynamics between individuals that has a major influence. So, Ann Budge is key here.

Yip. Closest reply of the 7.

Ironically Budge may work against us. She doesn't seem that popular either beyond Leanne. 

If anyone thinks that League 1 or 2 feeling will be considered,  they are going to be disappointed. 

Strong feeling we are seen as a nuisance,  a chance to put us in our place might be in the air.

But it wouldn't be in the rules. 

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Is this not about taking the sfa to court ? Our target would be the spfl, I’m not sure it’s considered the same thing by fifa as it’s the sfa that’s the member association. 

Don’t know. 

Montgomery Brewster

St Liedown selling season tickets from 13/4 . Strange as they won’t know which league they will be in?

SpruceBringsteen
12 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

St Liedown selling season tickets from 13/4 . Strange as they won’t know which league they will be in?

You'd think they could just ask Celtic for another tenner if they're struggling for cash.

36 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

The clubs already know there will be no relegation. 

GorgieRules22
6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

What makes you say this ?

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

We might not be popular but we do bring one of the biggest away supports in the country and in financially trying times that's going to carry some weight.

GorgieRules22
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We might not be popular but we do bring one of the biggest away supports in the country and in financially trying times that's going to carry some weight.

Hearts v Hibs 4 times on sky or Dundee Utd v Hibs....what holds more appeal eh

14 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

What makes you say this ?

Just a feeling that there is a lack of debate on the topic amongst club owners which is surprising. Also the fact that clubs at the bottom end of the league eg us and St.Mirren have said season tickets will be on sale imminently. St.Mirren, Hamilton and Ross County have put their players on furlough which essentially means they don’t expect to start training again for quite some time and another four weeks after that before games. 
Reading between the lines - this season isn’t going to be completed, they know which league they will be in next season. Can only mean one thing I think. Could be wrong of course, wouldn’t surprise me, it is Scottish  football after all. 

GorgieRules22
4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Just a feeling that there is a lack of debate on the topic amongst club owners which is surprising. Also the fact that clubs at the bottom end of the league eg us and St.Mirren have said season tickets will be on sale imminently. St.Mirren, Hamilton and Ross County have put their players on furlough which essentially means they don’t expect to start training again for quite some time and another four weeks after that before games. 
Reading between the lines - this season isn’t going to be completed, they know which league they will be in next season. Can only mean one thing I think. Could be wrong of course, wouldn’t surprise me, it is Scottish  football after all. 

I hope your right but I don’t see anything other than us getting stitched up.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

should happen. No way should we just roll over.. I will never attend another away game 

Away games are great.  It won’t happen overall regardless. 

1 hour ago, GorgieRules22 said:

You say that but you can add me and three others to the list that won’t be travelling away if we’re relegated....time to make a stand.

The huns said the same. Eventually you miss the football and want to support the team. 

44 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Or they know they know the options dont impact them on relegation.

If they relegate us, what do they do about the playoffs?  Flip a coin?

GorgieRules22
2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Make it up as they go along.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, ramrod said:

Exactly what I was thinking , are we just abandoning the play off . 

Theyre just making this up as they  going along and some clowns on here think that's reasonable. 

This is the key point no-one seems to be addressing. If you relegate and promote one team only you are effectively implementing league reconstruction and switching to a one-up, one-down model mid season with no vote. As Hamilton have someone on the SPFL board, I would have thought that's a massive conflict of interest.

If we get relegated fine, but they need to sort out the play-offs by draw, coin toss or whatever. Let's see Hamilton vote for that. Likewise you can't sort out the last European position until the Scottish Cup is done.

Edited by ToqueJambo

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Play Subbuteo.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Play Subbuteo.

Hearts beat Aberdeen 1-0 in the simulator so I don't see what the problem is. 

Edited by Mikey1874

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

👍

5 hours ago, frankblack said:

Absolute nonsense.

Perhaps you could try reading the following and giving us the bit where it says no company can take the SPFL to court?

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking-action/frequently-asked-questions/general-faqs/questions-about-raising-or-defending-actions-in-court

Is there a recent example in there of a team taking the SPFL the court?   Anyway it sounds like we will hear more tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That was a fair and balanced game of FIFA though, it didn't have the SFA bias mod installed to change refereeing decisions.

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

This is the key point no-one seems to be addressing. If you relegate and promote one team only you are effectively implementing league reconstruction and switching to a one-up, one-down model mid season with no vote. As Hamilton have someone on the SPFL board, I would have thought that's a massive conflict of interest.

If we get relegated fine, but they need to sort out the play-offs by draw, coin toss or whatever. Let's see Hamilton vote for that. Likewise you can't sort out the last European position until the Scottish Cup is done.

Yep, if it comes to a top team league vote re calling it as it is then I’d imagine both us and Hamilton will scupper the 11-1 requirement to let it pass. Hibs would also want to avoid giving up on their remaining chance of Euro football next season. 

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

I’m not sure any team is that popular in Scotland out with its own support. 

Rangers are quiet as they’ve woken up to the fact Celtic being declared winners means 10 in a row will always be tainted. Celtic will start to make noises to finish this season. 

The only fair solution for all is to erase this season from the football calendar. 

Surely it’s the leagues job to try and benefit as many sides as possible money wise.  14 team league is the only real option. Anything else is just stupid. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Surely it’s the leagues job to try and benefit as many sides as possible money wise.  14 team league is the only real option. Anything else is just stupid. 

14 team league means less money for the current 12 team though hence why i can't see the majority voting for it. 

Hungry hippo
39 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

You are giving the clubs and league way too much credit. 

The lack of debate is because no-one knows when we can play again so they are hoping for the best and season tickets are going on sale asap because the clubs are desperate for cash.

It is really complex and whatever solution we end up with will take a lot of compromise and time trying to appease as many clubs as possible, UEFA and TV companies. All of which will be difficult to negotiate until we have a better idea of a start date. The solution if we start playing again at different could be very different.

1 minute ago, RonnieG said:

14 team league means less money for the current 12 team though hence why i can't see the majority voting for it. 

You’re going to have to spell that out to me. Bear in mind the travelling support of Inverness and Dundee Utd v Hearts. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Edinburgh derbies may count in for TV companies, but 4  Glasgow derbies maybe not going to be there with reconstruction, is another thought on that line

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )