SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

What the **** happened to this thread? 🤦‍♂️

Tabloids seem intent on pushing an agenda here. We could finish the league now, but is there anything to say that we need to promote a team from the league below?

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

What the **** happened to this thread? 🤦‍♂️

Tabloids seem intent on pushing an agenda here. We could finish the league now, but is there anything to say that we need to promote a team from the league below?

The SPFL rules presumably.  

As an aside, there’s been a lot said and written about the case for Celtic to be declared champions and Hearts to be relegated.  I can’t say I’ve seen anything about Partick’s plight who are also in the SPFL.  

Anything official come from them yet?  Have to say they would be deserving of more sympathy than us if they get relegated 2 points behind with a game in hand.

4 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

As an aside, there’s been a lot said and written about the case for Celtic to be declared champions and Hearts to be relegated.  I can’t say I’ve seen anything about Partick’s plight who are also in the SPFL.  

Anything official come from them yet?  Have to say they would be deserving of more sympathy than us if they get relegated 2 points behind with a game in hand.

I don’t think they would be deserving of more sympathy than us at all. Both of our teams still have plenty points at stake to survive relegation. If Partick lost their game in hand then the next fixtures played by us and them could easily see us one point off the play off place, and them five points adrift.

The same rules apply to all teams currently at the bottom of their divisions and able to get enough points to crawl off bottom spot. It would be grossly unfair to relegate anybody.

There is "a lot of common sense" in crowning Celtic as Scottish Premiership champions if the season cannot finish, says Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes.

5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Given the economic situation any decisions made surely have to be done as much to protect the ongoing viability of the clubs as anything else. If the decision is made simply to hand Celtic a title and damn the rest, they will be failling in their responsibilities to the clubs. 

Freezing relegation and going to 14 team leagues would do that. Then we could assess at the mid-way point how well received the larger leagues are. Too sensible for our governing bodies I expect. 

Dirty Deeds

Worst case scenario for us is relegation with FoH tallking control and Budge being replaced and Stendel probably going to. 

In other words, a clean slate and Groundhog Day 2014.

I can live with that. 

Nookie Bear
31 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

There is "a lot of common sense" in crowning Celtic as Scottish Premiership champions if the season cannot finish, says Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes.

And, by a complete coincidence, giving Aberdeen a Europa League spot.

Jambo 4 Ever
18 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

Worst case scenario for us is relegation with FoH tallking control and Budge being replaced and Stendel probably going to. 

I can live with that. 

Yeh I agree 

I actually think it Could be a good thing to happen now and get a fresh start 

alwaysthereinspirit
1 minute ago, Natural Orders said:

Yeh I agree 

Yeah that's it. A good thing to happen. Seriously? As $#!te as we've been. And we have been $#!te. Relegation can never be a good thing. For any team. 

The league season has not been completed. And until such times..... No thanks.

Clerry Jambo
23 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

I can live with that. 

Can handle relegation but would like gaffer to hang around. Budge will stay on I think at least for a year.

Just now, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Yeah that's it. A good thing to happen. Seriously? As $#!te as we've been. And we have been $#!te. Relegation can never be a good thing. For any team. 

The league season has not been completed. And until such times..... No thanks.

He’s trolling. He’s desperate for a bite and has posted the same thing on a few threads already.

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Yeh I agree 

Have a word with yourself.

By "fresh", you mean "starting all over again in a lower division, with a squad full of demotivated, overpaid players who are largely despised by the fans, with likely needing a new coach - hello Neil ******* McCann - fans hating the owner, Levein probably reinstalled as DoF, FoH payments dropping, season ticket sales dropping, and nothing at all like it was last time when it felt like we were emerging from a very dark place into a bright future"

Yeah, could be a good thing.

Shanks said no
11 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Yeh I agree 

Being relegated would be a good thing, get a grip. If you are being serious you need to give yourself a shake as no one in their right mind would want their own football club relegated. 

Smoked-Glass
1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Being relegated would be a good thing, get a grip. If you are being serious you need to give yourself a shake as no one in their right mind would want their own football club relegated. 

Well said. We want to stay up 

Common sense says Celtic were going to win the league. Our own relegation plight, I'd say we were probably going down, but its much tighter with more variables. We might have gotten our shit together against Accies and St Mirren after the split to stay up. 

A 14 team league is the most equitable solution for all concerned.

21 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And he never mentions anything about relegation.

IveSeenTheLight
26 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It was in the bag man.

Scottish cup and a European spot for the 7th year in a row 😆

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I think the best solution is league reconstruction for 1 year.

3 down, 1 up next season

Edited by IveSeenTheLight

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He does:

Hearts still had the ability to get themselves out of trouble, although they've been in and around the bottom for quite a while.

“I don’t want to see Hearts relegated.

“I think they’re a fantastic club that can offer so much to the league.

“The alternatives everybody’s looking at are a 14-team league or whether we have to go as we do normally with announcing champions and the team that’s relegated.”

7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

McInnes

He said he didn't think it was fair to relegate Hearts 

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

It was in the bag man.

Scottish cup and a European spot for the 7th year in a row 😆

I just noticed that your lot have not won the cup for 30 years 🤣

Only reached 3 finals in that time too 🤣

30 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52148695

"Leagues across Europe have been told that ending competitions early could result in them forfeiting Champions League and Europa League places."

What a shame that would be for those so desperate to finish the league as it stands.  Especially for Aberdeen, how could we live with not giving them the chance of getting gubbed by some Latvian or Faroese team in the pre-pre-pre-pre-qualifying round?

alwaysthereinspirit
1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

He’s trolling. He’s desperate for a bite and has posted the same thing on a few threads already.

I know he's trolling. I just got into work and turned on my computer and dove right in. 1st mistake of the day.

1 minute ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I know he's trolling. I just got into work and turned on my computer and dove right in. 1st mistake of the day.

Hard not to when he trolls over several threads with the same baited hook. 

14 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

He does:

Hearts still had the ability to get themselves out of trouble, although they've been in and around the bottom for quite a while.

“I don’t want to see Hearts relegated.

“I think they’re a fantastic club that can offer so much to the league.

“The alternatives everybody’s looking at are a 14-team league or whether we have to go as we do normally with announcing champions and the team that’s relegated.”

Not on the article I read on the BBC.

The SPFL is yet to decide the fate of the current campaign, which is on hold indefinitely.

McInnes, whose side are fourth in the Scottish Premiership, says the league body faces "tough decisions".

"If there’s a way this can be finished, we need to not give up on that too soon," he told BBC Scotland.

"But we’re all realistic enough to know that it’s becoming less and less likely.

"The likelihood is Celtic would go on and win the league so maybe that decision - if we can’t get the league finished - might be easier to deal with, unless you’re a Rangers supporter, and I see a lot of common sense in that."

Hearts owner Ann Budge has said her club, currently bottom of the top flight, will take legal advice if they are relegated because of an early finish to the season, believing there to be a "number of areas" to contest.

Budge has mooted the idea of league reconstruction, where the top flight would expand from 12 teams to 14, taking in the top two in the Championship.

But Uefa sent a letter to national associations warning European places could be under threat if leagues are called early.

"The Uefa statement doesn’t help, trying to apply pressure," McInnes added. "The self-interest there is clear.

"I don’t think any federation should be penalised for doing what’s fair and right for their country, including ours."

15 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

The SPFL is yet to decide the fate of the current campaign, which is on hold indefinitely.

McInnes, whose side are fourth in the Scottish Premiership, says the league body faces "tough decisions".

"If there’s a way this can be finished, we need to not give up on that too soon," he told BBC Scotland.

"But we’re all realistic enough to know that it’s becoming less and less likely.

"The likelihood is Celtic would go on and win the league so maybe that decision - if we can’t get the league finished - might be easier to deal with, unless you’re a Rangers supporter, and I see a lot of common sense in that."

Hearts owner Ann Budge has said her club, currently bottom of the top flight, will take legal advice if they are relegated because of an early finish to the season, believing there to be a "number of areas" to contest.

Budge has mooted the idea of league reconstruction, where the top flight would expand from 12 teams to 14, taking in the top two in the Championship.

But Uefa sent a letter to national associations warning European places could be under threat if leagues are called early.

"The Uefa statement doesn’t help, trying to apply pressure," McInnes added. "The self-interest there is clear.

"I don’t think any federation should be penalised for doing what’s fair and right for their country, including ours."

Does on the EEN article:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/why-aberdeen-boss-derek-mcinnes-doesnt-want-hearts-get-relegated-2529959

Perhaps The BBC didn’t want to include that part for some reason? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yeah. Papers are struggling at the moment so making up a lot of stories. Partick getting relegated doesn’t generate enough interest.

IveSeenTheLight
40 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I just noticed that your lot have not won the cup for 30 years 🤣

Only reached 3 finals in that time too 🤣

:rofl:

I'll bite my tongue

:rofl:

maroonsgotop
4 hours ago, Borders Jambo said:

The desperation on the part of the Scottish red tops to declare Celtic champions is laughable, coupled by their attempts to discredit our Club.

I would urge anyone with Hearts leanings to avoid the Sun and the Record, including the online editions despite their clickbait attempts.  

I've had nothing to do with the Sun since Hillsborough in 1989 (and not much before that). I will not even pick up one their freebies at the Airport

Edited by maroonsgotop

On 04/04/2020 at 15:16, Taffin said:

I think lockdown will be relaxed in May as well and we'll see some businesses re-open.

I'm hoping building sites will be back at the end of April. 

1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

Yeh I agree 

Can’t believe a Hearts fan is supporting a 30-40% reduction in Revenue. That would put us back years in terms of developing the club. In fact I’m not even sure FoH could oversee the club in a lower league and would probably want AB to stick around until we are back on top flight. 
Don’t think anyone should be under any illusions as to how damaging one season in a lower league is to a football club. 

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Unlikely but they will be one of the first business sectors to return I’d think. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

Unlikely but they will be one of the first business sectors to return I’d think. 

Agree. 

Boozers etc... The last. 

45 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Does on the EEN article:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/why-aberdeen-boss-derek-mcinnes-doesnt-want-hearts-get-relegated-2529959

Perhaps The BBC didn’t want to include that part for some reason? 🤷‍♂️

He certainly wanted it said. Probably promoting the hopes of his next employer. 

58 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You'd be better off listening to his interview then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p088pj8s

Starts 43.12 

The obvious solution is to declare the league finished as it stands with no relegation this year . It's a no brainier and the best solution to limit the impact of loses for every club . 

A byproduct is its a great chance to trial a 14 team league next year and see how it is received. 

I still believe the biggest obstacle to this will be the clubs themselves. If it goes to a vote I could see a few voting against it , reluctant to see the bigger picture. 

That's the Scotland we live in football wise I'm afraid , petty tribalistic and ultimately utterly embarrassing . 

The Real Maroonblood
54 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

So does my grandson. 

3 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I work for the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (CMVM), one of the colleges of of the University of Edinburgh.

Different high schools in different countries are doing different things. In England for example my Niece doesn’t yet know what they are going to do as far as grades and exams go. They are discussing it at present and may go with the prelim results, or with teacher recommendations. Still undecided as of yesterday. Our college takes on students from all over the world, and different countries have yet to decide what direction they are taking.

Not going to go further off topic by getting in to the nuts and bolts of free education for Scottish students, other than to say we have a good proportion of Scottish students at our school.

Where in CMVM do you work? Small world ;) 

2 hours ago, OTT said:

Common sense says Celtic were going to win the league. Our own relegation plight, I'd say we were probably going down, but its much tighter with more variables. We might have gotten our shit together against Accies and St Mirren after the split to stay up. 

Dont forget we had a home game with Ross County to come. Win that and there is only three points between them and us. 

With each of the bottom six to play we were still well in the hunt. 

FWIW  I don't think Celtic should be given the title far to early to call. 

Season should be void with no relagation and the top two in the Championship making a new league of fourteen. 

annushorribilis III
2 hours ago, OTT said:

If common sense says Celtic were going to win the league then equally common sense says Hearts  were going to be relegated.  Whatever happens needs to happen according to the rules/defined process  : anything else will see AB in the courts for a judicial review and the SPFL know it. 

The 14 team league scenario is perfectly workable. 

1 minute ago, annushorribilis III said:

If common sense says Celtic were going to win the league then equally common sense says Hearts  were going to be relegated.  Whatever happens needs to happen according to the rules/defined process  : anything else will see AB in the courts for a judicial review and the SPFL know it. 

The 14 team league scenario is perfectly workable. 

I think its unlikely Celtic are going to lose many (if any) games to the end of the season. 

I suppose I'm getting caught up in the need to appease. Null and void with a 14 team top league going forward would probably be in everyones best interests going forward. League gets a bit of a refresh (still be 3/4 times a season though which is poor. Preference would be an 18 team top league, play each other twice - **** the TV money. 

annushorribilis III
Just now, OTT said:

I think its unlikely Celtic are going to lose many (if any) games to the end of the season. 

I suppose I'm getting caught up in the need to appease. Null and void with a 14 team top league going forward would probably be in everyones best interests going forward. League gets a bit of a refresh (still be 3/4 times a season though which is poor. Preference would be an 18 team top league, play each other twice - **** the TV money. 

I agree on the Celtic thing : equally , I have the same feeling about Hearts consistency in their inability to win games.

I agree with the "refresh" of the league and I'd welcome it (and not just because it would mean Hearts avoiding relegation). I think the sticking point is all about Celtic being awarded the league title as I think this will empower other clubs to talk up THEIR  league titles. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Being reported Uefa are pushing indefinite extension to the current season for all leagues.

That would interesting.

If no games are played this year maybe next season would be scrapped. 

IveSeenTheLight
9 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Being reported Uefa are pushing indefinite extension to the current season for all leagues.

5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That would interesting.

If no games are played this year maybe next season would be scrapped. 

Looks like they are giving options to extend and allow extensions to contracts but it will be up to the individual associations to decide what is best for their leagues

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, IveSeenTheLight said:

Looks like they are giving options to extend and allow extensions to contracts but it will be up to the individual associations to decide what is best for their leagues

Possibly. 

McInnes definitely mentioned not wanting Hearts to be relegated when interviewed on Sportsound on Saturday.

I'm sure it was a live interview too.

As some have mentioned, The Open, which was due to take place from the 16th to 19th July has now been cancelled, so can’t see any reason for football starting before then.

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )