SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Heres Rixxy

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-ready-declare-celtic-champions-21810379

It’s understood several smaller nations are ready to throw the problem straight back at UEFA by demanding interest free loans to cover their costs until football emerges from the coronavirus pandemic. However, that is not a stance the SPFL are willing to adopt as they forge on with plans to call the season as soon as their legal advice allows, handing Celtic the title and relegating Hearts.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Another complete nonsense. Awarding titles and basing promotion and relegation on current league stands stands up to no logical or moral scrutiny.  Throw in the fact there will clubs going bust before the next season starts - whenever that is - and even if they do make some sort of bullshit decision to “relegate” Hearts (and other teams), they will have to reorganise the leagues next year to fit the footballing landscape which will inevitably be different. 

Edited by Peebo

Alternative headline: ‘Hacks with **** all to write about have a guess at something that gets daft weegies buying cheap bog roll.’

GorgieRules22
3 minutes ago, Zico said:

Alternative headline: ‘Hacks with **** all to write about have a guess at something that gets daft weegies buying cheap bog roll.’

That’s pretty much it, they have an exclusive every second day.

Hot since 86

As has been proven time and time again the DR ken **** all...but so do the SPFL.

Draw your own conclusions

SectionDJambo

I think Rangers will be quite happy that Celtic are awarded the title under these circumstances. There will always be an asterisk against it which Rangers and their fans will be able to point to as a tainted title.

It gives them something to cling to which they know they wouldn’t have had if the season was finished.

The relegation issue is much more serious and not a easy one to push through unchallenged. Easy get out is a temporary league reconstruction, which may fall into line, conveniently,  with a restricted next season.

GorgieRules22

The article has no substance to it from what I can see. There’s a meeting planned for Wednesday. For what it’s worth I see Celtic getting the title but like what’s a very strong rumour in Belgium we’ll have no relegations.

adambraejambo

Since when have the SFA/ SPFL been proactive . They ready to call UEFA bluff lol as usual we will do what everybody else does and be one of the last to do it. 

Paint the town maroon
15 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I think Rangers will be quite happy that Celtic are awarded the title under these circumstances. There will always be an asterisk against it which Rangers and their fans will be able to point to as a tainted title.

It gives them something to cling to which they know they wouldn’t have had if the season was finished.

The relegation issue is much more serious and not a easy one to push through unchallenged. Easy get out is a temporary league reconstruction, which may fall into line, conveniently,  with a restricted next season.

I agree with the first bit and the lack of any football for the foreseeable future will reduce the bitterness and venom we would expect from   Rangers as some fans will just want to move on.

The worry for us is similar. Other than our fans nobody outside of the club will give a toss. It won’t just be St Mirren or Hamilton who will be relieved, but again given the current climate and the financial hit all the other clubs in the top league just want some kind of closure or confirmed plan and the dosh paid out. We will be in danger of howling at the moon when under normal circumstances most people would consider it a bloody disgrace.

ItS fundamentally unfair but the mood music appears to be moving towards this outcome I fear.

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Paint the town maroon said:

I agree with the first bit and the lack of any football for the foreseeable future will reduce the bitterness and venom we would expect from   Rangers as some fans will just want to move on.

The worry for us is similar. Other than our fans nobody outside of the club will give a toss. It won’t just be St Mirren or Hamilton who will be relieved, but again given the current climate and the financial hit all the other clubs in the top league just want some kind of closure or confirmed plan and the dosh paid out. We will be in danger of howling at the moon when under normal circumstances most people would consider it a bloody disgrace.

ItS fundamentally unfair but the mood music appears to be moving towards this outcome I fear.

Can they decide this or does it go to a vote? Can’t see it getting through if Hearts and Rangers vote against it.

Barring that we have Uefa threatening you withdraw invited to European competitions which should put Celtic off.

I would imagine we would sue, I would also expect Hearts fans to boycott other grounds if this is imposed upon us. 
It’s all about the money, and keeping Sky happy.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

This and rightly so. Not only will it not be a real title but it will mean their 9 or however many in a row won't be real either. And that's all that Celtic fans care about. 

Rocky jamboa

UEFA have already said nations could lose european places if they dont play leagues to a finish so there is no way the sfa, or celtic for that matter, would allow this to happen.

Only 8 leagues games to play and 2 more rounds of the cup.

I'd imagine the league will start up again in june, play sat-wed-sat and the league is over by end of june. July off and start again in August. Simple!

im so glad i have not bought that rag for must be going on 5 years now ill never give them a penny again sad thing is i used to buy the rag every day lol

Edited by tntjambo

Pasquale for King

Having read all the comments, ideas, reasons etc there seems to be no way that everyone will be happy and a radical solution needs to be found. I don’t trust anyone running our game to make the right decision though.

Papers are struggling badly at the moment as ad revenue has gone down along with circulation figures. Just more rubbish to get clicks.  

I have no issue with Celtic being awarded the title because they would have won it. Rangers have a game in hand but even if they won that, Celtic are still 10pts clear with 24 to play for. There's no way that they aren't going to pick up 14 points. 

As someone says however, it' can be their tainted title, now they are both equal in that respect and they can enjoy their oneuppery nonsense about that, none of the rest of us care. 

Hearts and Partick however are within their rights to contest any idea of relegation because there's no certain probability that either of us would be relegated. That would be unjust imo. 

I think they will go with the 14 team leagues plan. For me that is the right call economically and in Sporting fairness. 

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, Paulp74 said:

UEFA have already said nations could lose european places if they dont play leagues to a finish so there is no way the sfa, or celtic for that matter, would allow this to happen.

I'd imagine the league will start up again in june, play sat-wed-sat and the league is over by end of june. July off and start again in August. Simple!

And I'd imagine we'll be lucky to be out of lockdown by June/July.

There is no chance, nada that football, or any spectator sport for that matter, will resume by then.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Wouldn't believe if the daily record told me today was saturday however it wouldn't surprise me if this was true.

Edited by Selkirkhmfc1874

Its utter, total, complete, gift wrapped bollocks.

No sensible, respected professional organisation could reach a decision like that.

Smoked-Glass

Threads contain links to the daily re tard should be closed and the poster given a warning 👏.   That guff shouldn't be allowed on this site. 

Edited by Smoked-Glass

GorgieRules22

The good thing for us is that uefa want the season finished. If they crack on and declare the standings just now as final against what they’ve been recommended to do we’ll have a field day in court.

Surely common sense will prevail here. If they have Celtic the title (which I’m not convinced should happen) then nobody is really damaged as Rangers know it’s over. Same applies to Dundee Utd. 
however relegating Hearts would damage our club and the odds are still in our favour with out squad. 
the only solution to appease 90% of clubs would be A 12/14 team league which is actually long overdue anyway. 

Enzo Chiefo
4 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

And I'd imagine we'll be lucky to be out of lockdown by June/July.

There is no chance, nada that football, or any spectator sport for that matter, will resume by then.

6 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

That's what will happen Paulp. It may be mid -late June because the players will need a pre -season first, but, yes, I agree, it will start again and finish before the new season is scheduled to start. The idea that the country can sustain an indefinite lockdown is for the birds. Scientists don't understand the devastation that will be caused to jobs, businesses and the economy. The country has to get back, as far as possible, to normal and the people will not obey, never mind support, a prolonged lockdown. We should be able to squeeze a couple of Hampden appearances in before August too👍

Jean Louis Valois

It will be a joke if we get automatically relegated, and yet another bonkers decision made by the spfl only made to suit the ugly sisters. Theirs no way it is fair in using current standings. The only reasonable answer is expanding the current leagues and having no relegations. But that wouldn't suit the old firm as they would miss out on one or two of their rancid derbys against eachother. I understand this is an unprecedented situation and that's how they will play it, saying it was an impossible decision they had to make. But if this is the one they go with its utter bollocks and I can see fans turning their backs on Scottish football.

Seymour M Hersh
9 hours ago, Peebo said:

Another complete nonsense. Awarding titles and basing promotion and relegation on current league stands stands up to no logical or moral scrutiny.  Throw in the fact there will clubs going bust before the next season starts - whenever that is - and even if they do make some sort of bullshit decision to “relegate” Hearts (and other teams), they will have to reorganise the leagues next year to fit the footballing landscape which will inevitably be different. 

And that, whilst absolutely correct btw, would stop the muppets like Doncaster in what way exactly? 

9 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Excellent point. They pretend their club didnt die and they can pretend that Celtic didnt get 10 next season. 

I also think your second paragraph will be spot on. 

28 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

And that, whilst absolutely correct btw, would stop the muppets like Doncaster in what way exactly? 

It wouldn’t. And I’m under no illusions about the weight of my opinion - or that of anyone else on a messageboard like this - in the decision making process. 

David McCaig
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Can they decide this or does it go to a vote? Can’t see it getting through if Hearts and Rangers vote against it.

Barring that we have Uefa threatening you withdraw invited to European competitions which should put Celtic off.

I would imagine we would sue, I would also expect Hearts fans to boycott other grounds if this is imposed upon us. 
It’s all about the money, and keeping Sky happy.

Relegating Hearts would also effectively take automatic promotion off the agenda for other Championship clubs next season as well, so they may well not be in favour eg. Dundee don't get to compete in play offs this season and know that play offs are the best they can hope for next season as well.

Five to One

No surprise to me. Everyone is queuing up to put the boot into Hearts. The imperative is for us to know soon which league we are planning for next season; a question which has conveniently been glossed over up till now.

TyphoonJambo

Unfortunately the sfa/spl dont give a rats arse about Hearts, Partick, Dundee etc etc. The old firm, their continued domination and financial security, made all the more easier with their unproportional chunk of tv revenue, are paramount. Sad but true. 

So if we'd beaten St Mirren 1-0 they would relegate them because we'd scored more goals and that would have been considered fair? 

Thats the salient point . It would be another utter embarrassment for Scottish football . 

Back to 2005

Its Its clear the Celtic PR machine is in full flow the last couple of weeks. To be honest this outcome is what I expect as Doncaster will do what he is told the pathetic slimy patsy that he is.

David McCaig
44 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Unfortunately the sfa/spl dont give a rats arse about Hearts, Partick, Dundee etc etc. The old firm, their continued domination and financial security, made all the more easier with their unproportional chunk of tv revenue, are paramount. Sad but true. 

If relegation is imposed on us, maybe we should follow Stewart Gilmour’s advice and quit Scottish Football.

Joining the Northern League at Tier 10 of the English pyramid and entry to the FA Cup/FA Trophy would certainly be an adventure.

Regardless of the effect that this would have on us, I just can't understand why any league would feel the need to do this. Surely the rational thing to do is:  (i) wait until we are able to resume football; (ii) finish this season off; (iii) then take things from there.

If the theory here is that declaring this season finished will allow clubs to sell season tickets that creates a host of new problems. Say we're not able to restart football until January, then thousands will have bought season tickets for another 38 game league but there will only be a few months to play games, with Euro 2021 scheduled for the summer.

The other thing is that if national leagues go against the advice of UEFA, they're going to have a difficult time explaining their actions when the inevitable cases reach the Court for Arbitration in Sport. 

SectionDJambo
9 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Its Its clear the Celtic PR machine is in full flow the last couple of weeks. To be honest this outcome is what I expect as Doncaster will do what he is told the pathetic slimy patsy that he is.

When the suspension of the season was announced, the first quotes from Brown and Lennon were to bang on about giving a Celtic the championship.

Not saying they hoped it would help save lives and extreme discomfort, just how unfair it would be if they didn’t get what they “deserved”.

Great guys though, according to their media buddies.

manaliveits105

JKB News understands that Heart of Midlothian have been invited by the  EPFL to join the English Leagues at Championship level next season 

9 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

No chance a) it will restart in June, as the lockdown will still be in place and b) clubs would clamour for a "pre-season" ...

Werner Herzog

Weirdly, I'd prefer getting relegated this way than playing out the season & it happening on the pitch.

If that happens, so be it. It would be grotesquely unfair, but also a huge motivational tool for the coming years. 

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )