To join - The English Leagues

rudiatemyhamster

On 26/05/2020 at 00:32, Smithee said:

**** that, we're a Scottish team, we belong in a Scottish league. 

Thankfully there are enough who think like me to guarantee it won't happen, it won't get my vote or support.

The whole idea is a complete non-starter. There is little appetite for it North of The Border (other than your gruesome twosome) and none down here. It is interesting to think what might have been if back in 1888 when The Football League began in England or two years later when The Scottish League started there had been a coming together to form a British League. After all Queens Park had been beaten finalists in The FA Cup twice just a few years earlier. Could you imagine Plymouth Argyle vs. Aberdeen on a January evening though? 

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Fox

• Unknown user

• Libertarian

• JJ93

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Some of the asian leagues actually do accept invitationals from other nations. Think singapore does have feeder team from china or japan compete.

Thanks for clearing that up

john brownlee
On 30/05/2020 at 15:10, Cruyff said:

It is. Their greed and self protectionism is ruining the game, always has but this will never be forgotten. Clubs that voted us down will not get any money from our supporters and never will again. They may fold as a result. 

It doesn't bother me that we're in the Championship tbh. It is unjust but we'll get promoted.  It's not the end of the world. It may even allow us to reset and blood youth players and build a stronger team.

It's the loss of revenue which is more unfair. As you have said, it could threaten our existence and certainly the well being of our business. We need to fight that from a business perspective. 

At the end of the day, moving to other leagues has the same problems. The English league is possibly even more selfish. The way they treated Bury for example was terrible and had we been in that situation, they'd have done the same thing to us. 

For us to join the English leagues, we'd have to join where there is sponsorships and money in place. We would not survive joining at the bottom tier. 

Not nessery so. If you have a product they want, both sponsorship and money will follow.

everybody has to start somewhere, if you have guts and ambition you will survive.

starting at the bottom is common enough it's part of life.

There would have been no Concord without a DC 4 or the spitfire.

onwards and upwards.

David McCaig
7 hours ago, ROKERITE said:

The whole idea is a complete non-starter. There is little appetite for it North of The Border (other than your gruesome twosome) and none down here. It is interesting to think what might have been if back in 1888 when The Football League began in England or two years later when The Scottish League started there had been a coming together to form a British League. After all Queens Park had been beaten finalists in The FA Cup twice just a few years earlier. Could you imagine Plymouth Argyle vs. Aberdeen on a January evening though? 

Still a shorter journey than Tenerife or Mallorca face in La Liga every other week.

We have British League's in Ice Hockey and Basketball and even pan- continental leagues in Pro14 and Super League.

john brownlee
6 hours ago, ROKERITE said:

We have aeroplanes up here in Scotland that are capable of flying as far south as Plymouth and Exeter. Scottish teams were popular down south when the old firm were banned. I knew a few guys that even travelled as far as Southampton. I even went to a few games at Blackburn, Preston and Blackpool. All good fun then.

Edinburgh Rugby and Glasgow rugby play in a league where they travel to France, Ireland, wales and south Africa... you really saying that Hearts don't have the funds Edinburgh rugby have?????

• 2 weeks later...

And some people still think being a member of the SPFL is a good idea!

Is the SPFL an organisation that looks after their members,  where clubs support each other’s best interests, in an environment based an honesty and integrity? 

Enough is enough .... time to go!

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

And some people still think being a member of the SPFL is a good idea!

Is the SPFL an organisation that looks after their members,  where clubs support each other’s best interests, in an environment based an honesty and integrity? 

Enough is enough .... time to go!

I'm not sure that's what you'd find down in England. The cavalier decision to null and void below the sixth tier of the pyramid was absolutely disgraceful. It not only denied teams who were well ahead at the top of their division, they snatched promotion from clubs who'd already achieved it. Jersey Royals had won all twenty-seven matches and clinched the title only to have the season wiped out.

Joining the English leagues won't happen though because it would open the door to the ugly sisters in Glasgow. Sky would love that but a majority of The Premier League clubs would not.

Scotland voted to be part of UK a few years. If the government agree which they do Hearts should be allowed to

play in a British league. 

pettigrewsstylist
On 16/05/2020 at 07:53, rudiatemyhamster said:

Might be worth a punt.  

Start at the bottom of the Pyramid and smash our way up the leagues.  Feel good factor and a media frenzy around the club for years.

Always loved watching football and the atmosphere at Tynie.

I say bring it on and let’s leave the bull poop behind 👍😍😊😷

Embarrassing.

2 hours ago, ROKERITE said:

I'm not sure that's what you'd find down in England. The cavalier decision to null and void below the sixth tier of the pyramid was absolutely disgraceful. It not only denied teams who were well ahead at the top of their division, they snatched promotion from clubs who'd already achieved it. Jersey Royals had won all twenty-seven matches and clinched the title only to have the season wiped out.

Joining the English leagues won't happen though because it would open the door to the ugly sisters in Glasgow. Sky would love that but a majority of The Premier League clubs would not.

Some good points which I agree with!

and the National League not covering themselves in glory, ballot papers due out last Friday were never received. 

What a mess which of the leagues is worthy of Hearts?

LarrysRightFoot

Tbh I’m all for a Anglo-Scottish Cup. Joining the English leagues is a non starter though due to travel etc but at the same time our leagues are an absolute shit show.

No longer active

I think the “too far to travel” excuse is lame. A Loganair Saab can reach anywhere in the UK within 90 minutes and wouldn’t cost the earth. Think Newcastle use them regularly. 

We are a British team and let’s face it the Scottish teams have just proved they are not interested in the slighted about our welfare. If there was a route into the English pyramid then it is worth investigating surely ? It will probably be a non-stater but if you don’t ask ?

The novelty factor I think would not make the proposal too far fetched either!

We still retain SFA membership and therefore eligible to play Scottish Cup so old rivalries are still possible if that works.

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned in another thread, i hope we have someone in the background looking into this as it is becoming very clear we are not wanted in the Scottish League.

Zero harm in testing the waters.

The Old Firm have wanted to play in the English League for years but the majority down south don’t want the bigoted cancer that would infect their football. Hearts will always play in the Scottish Leagues and no one will ever change that. 
We are a proud Scottish club. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Unknown user

:laugh: **** off!

What a waste of life it is dreaming of this happening, they don't want or need us, the FA wouldn't allow us in, the clubs have no reason to vote us in to the league. 

It's fantasy island stuff, absolute dreamworld.

Unknown user
16 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

The Old Firm have wanted to play in the English League for years but the majority down south don’t want the bigoted cancer that would infect their football. Hearts will always play in the Scottish Leagues and no one will ever change that. 

Correct

On 15/06/2020 at 13:24, FORTHCLYDE said:

Scotland voted to be part of UK a few years. If the government agree which they do Hearts should be allowed to

Wales still has a national team...!

kingantti1874
34 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

short sighted. Scottish football is a cancerous cesspit of scum and villainy.. 

would be ecstatic if we could get the **** out of it

2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

A proud Scottish Club getting the pish ripped out of us by the people who run this absolute joke of a league set up to serve two teams.  We should be looking into this ( although the chances are very slim) 

Got to keep all options open.

Swimming with the jobbies in a cesspit which has a lot of broken glass at the bottom does not feel that great! Especially when the big rat in charge wants to hurt you and all the other little rats are having a nibble at you!

Never say never!

This isn't going to happen but I don't think there is any problem with people sounding off about how frustrating our football administration is.  If I hadn't been a Hearts fan for 53 years I'd walk away 🙂

I know this forum is for opinions but anyone who thinks this is a credible option needs banded for life. Folk thinking it's a good idea or an option makes me cringe.

6 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I know this forum is for opinions but anyone who thinks this is a credible option needs banded for life. Folk thinking it's a good idea or an option makes me cringe.

Band-Aid to you EFL!

6D71F1D3-7D57-4820-9900-05864B3CF21C.jpeg

Fly the Saltire

You do realise that much has changed since then and majority now support self government with only those over 65 hankering for the days if the British Empire.

Joining any English league is a non starter and no one in England wants us.

6 minutes ago, Fly the Saltire said:

You do realise that much has changed since then and majority now support self government with only those over 65 hankering for the days if the British Empire.

Rubbish! Loads of folks in England want to see Hearts play!

Libertarian

I personally don't think that the political situation in this country has any bearing on the proposal for Hearts to apply to join the English league. Cross border leagues are coming down the line and the fact that the SPFL and the majority of clubs therein are attempting to shaft us makes it clear to me that joining the English league is something we as a club should look at. It may possibly not be an option right now but we will never know if we don't enquire. I say this as someone who campaigned hard for a Yes vote in 2014, however the way we have been treated by Scottish clubs and the football establishment in Scotland is nothing short of shocking and I for one now feel no loyalty whatsoever to Scottish football. 

Libertarian
3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

short sighted. Scottish football is a cancerous cesspit of scum and villainy.. 

would be ecstatic if we could get the **** out of it

Absolutely agree 

The White Cockade

There is no British League

Libertarian
4 hours ago, Smithee said:

:laugh: **** off!

What a waste of life it is dreaming of this happening, they don't want or need us, the FA wouldn't allow us in, the clubs have no reason to vote us in to the league. 

It's fantasy island stuff, absolute dreamworld.

How do you know. Are you involved in the administration of English football? We are living in a rapidly changing world and football is not immune to change. The way we as a club have been treated by the SPFL and fellow clubs is appalling and we should at least enquire. 

Fort Vallance
17 minutes ago, Fly the Saltire said:

I can support being part of the union without hankering for the days of the British Empire. So don't speak for me if you don't mind. Typical though. Hijack a football thread.

Fly the Saltire
2 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

I personally don't think that the political situation in this country has any bearing on the proposal for Hearts to apply to join the English league. Cross border leagues are coming down the line and the fact that the SPFL and the majority of clubs therein are attempting to shaft us makes it clear to me that joining the English league is something we as a club should look at. It may possibly not be an option right now but we will never know if we don't enquire. I say this as someone who campaigned hard for a Yes vote in 2014, however the way we have been treated by Scottish clubs and the football establishment in Scotland is nothing short of shocking and I for one now feel no loyalty whatsoever to Scottish football. 

Like Champions league with four clubs from biggest countries getting byes to league stages while clubs like Ajax who win their national league going through several qualifying rounds has ruined the integrity of the tournament the same principle would apply to multi national leagues.

Even the old firm would be very unlikely to be accepted into English Championship and teams like Hearts Aberdeen or Hibs would need to start in the Northern Premier league if they are lucky with glamour fixtures against Bamber Bridge  and Basford United 

JamboAndrew

Does anyone know how the Welsh clubs got in? I'm assuming there was no Welsh league then.

I'm assuming if an employer league goes busy then a club could buy their licence with the agreement of majority of other clubs.

I am pretty bored of starting each season k owing one of the two arsenal cheeks will win. That in all probability we will be buggered by refs. And its clear as day there is an agenda against hearts.

I'd love to see us work our way up the English leagues. Think of all the new grounds and teams. Not playing bloody Hamilton 4 times a year.

And no, I'm saying we would be in the EPL. I see no reason why we couldn't comfortably be in the championship though. And then it's a complete free for all for promotion. But I'd love to look forward to new different opponants, away trips etc... So much fresher than the chap we are looking forward to in the goldfish bowl of Scottish football.

Would probably only be possible if the Daily Record's mole at the SFA was correct about the SFA possibly kicking Hearts and Partick out altogether - I think it would then be possible to convince the FA and English leagues to let a club from Scotland in. They would not want the precedent of another club opting to move as this would mean it would be hard to keep the OF out, and they have their unattractive politics and TBH the potential to play for CL places in a few seasons, so the big clubs wouldn't want them...

On 16/05/2020 at 08:13, Smithee said:

There's no way it would get the support needed from their member clubs, why would it? And who wants to lose a decade at best getting to a decent level while we play rushden & diamonds every week. 

It's not happening, and I'm very happy with that.

Travelling down to absolute hovels for 90 minutes of hoofball infront of 2000. 

There's been some weird threads on here but this is number 1 for me.

2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Would probably only be possible if the Daily Record's mole at the SFA was correct about the SFA possibly kicking Hearts and Partick out altogether - I think it would then be possible to convince the FA and English leagues to let a club from Scotland in. They would not want the precedent of another club opting to move as this would mean it would be hard to keep the OF out, and they have their unattractive politics and TBH the potential to play for CL places in a few seasons, so the big clubs wouldn't want them...

If Rangers and Celtic went to England the game would be dead here. Think about how bad the glory hunting is already towards teams in England ie. Man Utd, Liverpool etc. Give those kind of folk a Scottish team to support down there that they can be die hard fans of and absolutely no one will want to support a Motherwell or Kilmarnock.

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Libertarian said:

How do you know. Are you involved in the administration of English football? We are living in a rapidly changing world and football is not immune to change. The way we as a club have been treated by the SPFL and fellow clubs is appalling and we should at least enquire. 

I know because there's zero appetite for it down south, it isn't enough for a few scottish dreamers to really really want it.

I lived in salford for a few years, TBQH you'd be laughed out the room down there.

How many votes do you think we'd get from member clubs and why exactly do you think Sunderland or  Coventry or Wigan, or even Man City or Liverpool would vote us in?

Unknown user
15 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Travelling down to absolute hovels for 90 minutes of hoofball infront of 2000. 

There's been some weird threads on here but this is number 1 for me.

Crazytown mate, people seem unable to look at things from any other perspective than ours.

jack D and coke
On 16/05/2020 at 08:38, Ainsley Harriott said:

I would be up for this. League one in England is better than our joke of a top flight. It would be great to call  Scottish football's bluff and do this.

It makes zero sense. Goes against everything I believe about us being a truly Scottish club but I’m so sickened with the game up here. It’s a ****ing midden and rotten to the core. 
If we explored the option I’d find it hard not to get behind it tbh. I’d love us to stick two fingers up to the ****ing lot of them. 

9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It makes zero sense. Goes against everything I believe about us being a truly Scottish club but I’m so sickened with the game up here. It’s a ****ing midden and rotten to the core. 
If we explored the option I’d find it hard not to get behind it tbh. I’d love us to stick two fingers up to the ****ing lot of them. 

Nothing stopping you be proudly scottish and playing in the english leagues.

Will always be a scottish club at the end of the day.

Would rather play in england and win nothing for the next 100 years than be part of this sham set up .

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Tott said:

Nothing stopping you be proudly scottish and playing in the english leagues.

Will always be a scottish club at the end of the day.

Would rather play in england and win nothing for the next 100 years than be part of this sham set up .

I’d also love to get it right up everyone by becoming consistently successful.
I do think that Tynecastle will get its edge back after all this though. 

4 hours ago, Fly the Saltire said:

I'm in my forties, and you're full of shite!

Fly the Saltire
6 hours ago, JyTees said:

I'm in my forties, and you're full of shite!

I do like a well reasoned  response.   Last five opinion polls show majority in favour of Scotland  becoming a normal country like Denmark etc.  Only in the pensioner age group is there a majority in favour of continued London rule. 

Also Hearts would need to join 7th tier of English football as those in top divisions do not want to dilute their gravy train just as those in SPFL didn't want reconstruction as it meant losing some TV money.  That's still no excuse for the mismanagement of the SPFL  by  Doncaster  et al who won't even scrap games  to help our national team qualify for European Championship finals

The whole idea of joining English league is a no  starter and  Hearts only have themselves to blame for finishing bottom with too many overpaid  journeymen from  English leagues who thought they could stroll the Scottish league.

On 31/05/2020 at 09:24, ROKERITE said:

Plymouth argyle v Aberdeen.... I'd love to see that. 

If hearts were to join the English league they'd need to be in league 1 at worse or it wouldn't work for us. Anything lower and the crowds would drift away at tynecastle forcing us into difficulty. I can't see teams in leagues 1 downwards been happy with us coming down and taking someone's place. 

What I'd love to see is the carling Cup or whatever its called now scrapped with a British cup, that would be cool. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Forkbeard said:

If hearts were to join the English league they'd need to be in league 1 at worse or it wouldn't work for us. Anything lower and the crowds would drift away at tynecastle forcing us into difficulty. I can't see teams in leagues 1 downwards been happy with us coming down and taking someone's place. 

What I'd love to see is the carling Cup or whatever its called now scrapped with a British cup, that would be cool. 

I think that's a much more likely concept in the medium term, I could see a joint SPFL/EFL league cup, maybe excluding the EPL teams as they'd just bum everyone in sight.

David McCaig
8 minutes ago, Forkbeard said:

95 minutes on the direct flight from Plymouth to Aberdeen.