Adopted German sides

Jeff

Doctor FinnBarr

I'm going to go for Eintract Frankfurt. No real reason apart from I met a Eintract/Hearts fan at a friendly in Homburg many moons ago. He was after my scarf (maroon, white with a silver stripe) and sent me a pennant. Plied me with beer too which was a good move on his part, he got the scarf.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick James

• Tazio

• Midloth_Iain

• The Internet

I think they should allow a small number of 'ultras' in to make noise and wave flags. Even just 50 that are separated by partitions would be manageable. Their hardcore groups over there are well organised and I wonder such an agreement could be made and they don't congregate outside etc.

Saint Pauli for me after going to Hamburg and taking in a game there. Really good atmosphere and fans, planning another trip hopefully.

My oldest is a Dortmund fan so at least one if us gets the glory.

DdoZDjKUQAEIGJk.thumb.jpg.6650233b6b5c4f31c2b99151bb014161.jpg

Im adopting Jager bombs fc as my German team, just because Paul Breitner played for them and their strips cool almost as cool as him. 

25 minutes ago, COACH 13 said:

Saint Pauli for me after going to Hamburg and taking in a game there. Really good atmosphere and fans, planning another trip hopefully.

Aren't they bum chums with Celtic?

😐😛

Midloth_Iain
47 minutes ago, COACH 13 said:

My oldest is a Dortmund fan so at least one if us gets the glory.

image.jpeg.633ad8bd083b2a97c9600e5f71c8313d.jpeg  

🤮🤢

37 minutes ago, Ruud Krol said:

image.jpeg.633ad8bd083b2a97c9600e5f71c8313d.jpeg  

🤮🤢

They’re quite a good match. One plays in the colour of shite, and so do St. Pauli.

coatbridgejambo

My 1st euro game was against Stuttgart in the UEFA cup at Tynecastle

Had a wee soft spot for them ever since.

I have a memory of them having a banner saying Hi Jambos can anyone confirm this or have I invented this.

Greuther Furth for me, if only cos I like their name. Bought one of their shirts last year without looking at their badge properly. It's all a bit 'hibs' tbh. 

Shame there are no fans at the Union Berlin game. Would like to see that ground bouncing. 22k capacity but less than 4K are seated. 

Rick James
1 hour ago, haj said:

Greuther Furth for me, if only cos I like their name. Bought one of their shirts last year without looking at their badge properly. It's all a bit 'hibs' tbh. 

Also Furth's rivals are Nurnberg who have had a lot of cracking maroon shirts of late. They also have a friendship with Schalke, so they're a club I have a massive soft spot for.

I've watched all of the games so far, flicking between BT Sports channels to get the best of it.

It just doesn't seem all that great.  There has been some great football on show, the 4-0 Dortmund game and even the 2-2 Greuther Fürth game today was good football; it just doesn't seem all that enjoyable.

The crowd really makes a game great, and without that, it's like watching a couple of teams down the park.

Even the commentators have seemed distracted and disinterested. 

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maroon said:

St Pauli, just the worst football colours, possibly, in the whole world. 

:lol:

Why would you pick brown, of all colours available? 

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's supposedly down to one guy, Amandus Vierth, back in 1909.

https://www.fcstpauli.com/en/club/history/

They had an argument about the colours, and brown won. :smile:

What was the alternative?

"Let's play in a kit that will never look good?" :lol: 

2 hours ago, leginten said:

They’re quite a good match. One plays in the colour of shite, and so do St. Pauli.

Lads if you're going to put half and half scarfs, how about Celtic and Liverpool or Man United ones. Sure a good proportion of fellow jambos have no problems in supporting one of these two English giants who are affiliated with the west coast soap Dodgers.

cubanjambo
16 hours ago, COACH 13 said:

Lads if you're going to put half and half scarfs, how about Celtic and Liverpool or Man United ones. Sure a good proportion of fellow jambos have no problems in supporting one of these two English giants who are affiliated with the west coast soap Dodgers.

St Pauli 👍

Rick James
17 hours ago, tian447 said:

I've watched all of the games so far, flicking between BT Sports channels to get the best of it.

It just doesn't seem all that great.  There has been some great football on show, the 4-0 Dortmund game and even the 2-2 Greuther Fürth game today was good football; it just doesn't seem all that enjoyable.

The crowd really makes a game great, and without that, it's like watching a couple of teams down the park.

Even the commentators have seemed distracted and disinterested. 

Think the commentators also feel a bit more inclined to fill the silence with more inane chat. There's also obvious problems to the fact commentators are working from home. During the Schalke game, they kept talking over each other. :lol:

Midloth_Iain

Berlin derby tonight.  image.jpeg.ccd87f810b686272b9c5f85e6871fefd.jpegV image.png.e59cd7faa8f0fae400c5e3011c7baa33.png

mid table match, a win for either side should see them safe from relegation.

Hoping for a Union victory  .....

image.jpeg.53554a65ff6d074354323b3e8139baf9.jpeg  

Midloth_Iain

typical mid table clash, but Union need to step it up a bit.

2 decent stops from their keeper

5 hours ago, Ruud Krol said:

Berlin derby tonight.  image.jpeg.ccd87f810b686272b9c5f85e6871fefd.jpegV image.png.e59cd7faa8f0fae400c5e3011c7baa33.png

mid table match, a win for either side should see them safe from relegation.

Hoping for a Union victory  .....

image.jpeg.53554a65ff6d074354323b3e8139baf9.jpeg  

Hoping for  Hertha victory and well on track

Capital side...the establishment club as it were

Loved going round the stadium when I went to visit and attended a match next day...the walk from the station under the tunnel to the car park is just great and noisy 

Dynamo Berlin have some outstanding maroon strips, not so sure about their historical links to the Stasi though

I have been hertha and union and loved both clubs but chose union as my team to follow.  If i could afford to follow them more i would.  Last game was 4-1 thrashing of st pauli last season.  Union fans are incredible.  

5 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Dynamo Berlin have some outstanding maroon strips, not so sure about their historical links to the Stasi though

They more or less invented athlete doping as well

braveheart
9 minutes ago, Ribble said:

They also have links with Aberdeen 🐑

Midloth_Iain
2 hours ago, Ribble said:

a lovely crest as well, but their dubious hsitory put me off them  😆

image.png.ef386e26578921c6d2284a60d5b9140e.png

davemclaren

96 won 4 -2 away yo Osnabruck. My mate described watching it on tv bring played in an empty stadium as ‘very strange’. 

Look out for the 12,000 cardboard cut outs at Borussia Monchengladbach

Fans paid 19 euros to have a cardboard image of themselves in one of the seats..some money going to charity from it as well

Havertz is just brilliant. Has to be just about the hottest property in Europe at the moment.

I know leagues will eventually do whatever is best for them financially but does anyone else think that other leagues who are planning to restart behind closed doors will look at the Bundesliga games and think, let's not bother? It's just soulless, the players don't even seem interested. And the danger for the self proclaimed greatest league in the world is that when all the hype is striped back and people are left to actually watch Sheffield United away to Brighton they might decide that it isn't a very good product after all. 

On a positive note, I see Werder Bremen are winning, not that I have any affinity to them but it would be good for a team in the relegation places to play their way to safety just to make a point. 

Edited by Anything2

The Internet

Amazing team goal from dortmund. Wolfsburg have been OK but look like they're struggling fitness wise compared to dortmund. 

davemclaren
11 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

I know leagues will eventually do whatever is best for them financially but does anyone else think that other leagues who are planning to restart behind closed doors will look at the Bundesliga games and think, let's not bother? It's just soulless, the players don't even seem interested. And the danger for the self proclaimed greatest league in the world is that when all the hype is striped back and people are left to actually watch Sheffield United away to Brighton they might decide that it isn't a very good product after all. 

Supporters are still watching their teams though. Time will tell re audience numbers. 

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Supporters are still watching their teams though. Time will tell re audience numbers. 

That's what I said, they will do what makes financial sense so if people are watching and buying subscriptions then they will do it but they must be watching these games and think it's all a bit rubbish. It's like when you speak to someone who doesn't like sport and they ask what the point is in watching 22 men kicking a ball about for 90 minutes. This feels like I am watching men kicking a ball about for no reason. 

davemclaren
13 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

That's what I said, they will do what makes financial sense so if people are watching and buying subscriptions then they will do it but they must be watching these games and think it's all a bit rubbish. It's like when you speak to someone who doesn't like sport and they ask what the point is in watching 22 men kicking a ball about for 90 minutes. This feels like I am watching men kicking a ball about for no reason. 

I agree. A pale imitation of the real thing.  

The Internet

Hakimi :pray: Frightening how good he is for 21. probably the best right back in the world.

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

will be interesting to see, last weekend broke every viewing record going but whether it’s sustainable or just because viewers have been starved of football is the question

2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

will be interesting to see, last weekend broke every viewing record going but whether it’s sustainable or just because viewers have been starved of football is the question

It makes sense that they would be record viewers with those games being the only show in town and all the regular match going fans (60,000 plus for some German teams) all stuck at home. But longer term, if the casual fans get bored of it they may have a problem. Of course it may be different if your team or teams in your league are involved but I just can't get into these games and I've watched plenty German games in the past. 

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Wolfsburg went out their way to help us when we were on our bare arse

How did they do that?

Bayern really are relentless when they hit top gear. 
Also I’ve always enjoyed watching Thomas Muller, he doesn’t seem to have a position and just wanders around the place causing chaos. And he’s also a top quality wind up merchant. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Friendly match against us.

Or not as it seems. I seemed to remember a friendly against a German team when we were skint?