Adopted German sides

Jeff

Kobayashi Maroon

I had a season ticket for 6 years with DSC Arminia Bielefeld before leaving Germany last summer. They're top of the Bundesliga 2 at the moment so I'm delighted their season is resuming. Always Hearts first but got quite passionate about DSC Arminia when I was there, going to matches in Germany is a really good experience, they let you drink as much beer as you want and nobody seems to want to kill the person next to them just because they have a different colour top on.

Should of been flying back tomorrow for what should have been the last round of games on Sunday but ah well there's always next year.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick James

• Tazio

• Midloth_Iain

• The Internet

18 minutes ago, Ruud Krol said:

Lovely place Berchtesgaden, holidayed there a few years ago - stunning scenery

Anyway, Union Berlin for me

image.png.19a5dc6780e34ba8e5191fbf0973fd59.png

Booooooooo! 

It's the mighty Babelsberg for me. Although since we're in the 4th tier and still can't play, I'll grudgingly support our Union neighbours instead. 

Edited by Normthebarman

4 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

A visit to Dortmund is in my bucket list so them for me. 

One of the best things you will ever do, trust me. Make sure you get tickets for the Sud Tribune (south stand) - that's where the crazy displays and real hardcore fans are. Utterly brilliant day out. Dortmund is a great city as well. 

To answer the OPs question - unsurprisingly, Dortmund. 

Mainz are mine. Had a couple of holidays in that area, and liked the city. Not flashy, very down to earth place. Doing well to stay in top league, hope they can do it for another season.

Cut The Crap
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

9C2EB958-CB43-40D4-8C08-2DAEA4D50917.jpeg

Too green IMO. Now this...

1. FC Kaiserslautern 18-19 Home & Away Kits Released - Footy Headlines

Fort Vallance
5 hours ago, Jeff said:

Bundesliga restarts tomorrow.

Who are we all following?

Schalke 04 for me

Me too. Bought a top when visiting family in 1979 .

One of my pals is a diehard Eintracht Frankfurt fan.   He's from Germany and studied across here. I played sport with him, and we would often try and catch the games together. 

We would also watch the Hearts games together in the pub or just with a group of pals in front of the TV, he was just one of those lads that loves football.  He started to get a bit more into Scottish football.

He's moved back home now, but several months ago, he sent me a picture on Facebook:

78726399_954462408274213_818864913174547]

He'd managed to track one down in a shop back home, and now wears it to training.  Good lad :thumbsup:

For that reason, Eintracht are my German team!

4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

At no point in my life have i ever connected Borussioa Dortmund with celtic. Absolute pish

That's good 'cos I had a little bit sick in my mouth when I read the boys post. 

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've always found it utterly bizarre that folk feel the need to have a German team, a French team, a Spanish team.

Whos your Uzbeki team bud?

Just watch the games :lol:

Piss off Liam, folk can do what they like. 

Eibar, Atalanta, Frankfurt, Rennes for me. I could go on with the less popular nations but I can't be arsed. 

Edited by smiler
Haha

Arminia Bielefeld for me after a BB trip there in 1980.

Don't think I've even seen them on the telly :lol: 

55 minutes ago, Boof said:

Bit like me as well. I started "following" Eintracht Braunschweig after a trip there in the 80s.

Third tier now. :(

annushorribilis III

Werder Bremen - after their mental UEFA Cup run a few years ago when every game seemed to finish 5-4. Not keen on the green strip though.

Also Dusseldorf as I used to fly in/out of there every week for 15 months and the ground is near the airport. I always said I'd go to a game but 20 years later , still haven't. 

Greedy Jambo

My local team was NEC Nijmegen at one point, just my luck, another shit team to support 😂

(close enough to Germany) 😛

Edited by Space Pirate

andythejambo

Used to work during the week in Frankfurt. Went to midweek games, and the occasional weekend match (never when Hearts were at home). Good stadium, beer and wurst delivered to your seat. Remember a young Tony Yeboah banging them, before he moved to Leeds. Still follow their fortunes, but never ever got the buzz you get watching the Jambos.

Placid Casual

Another for Union Berlin 🇲🇨

A crowd of us went to see them during a stag weekend. Brilliant day out, and the fans were great with us. Have followed them ever since.

Midloth_Iain
1 hour ago, Boof said:

There is a bar in Berlin where Bielefeld fans visit, I had a couple of drinks with a crowd of them last summer. Interesting bar ( a bit rough but plenty of character(s) )

http://tante-kaethe-fussballkneipe.de/de/arminia_bielefeld.html

Rick James
7 hours ago, Still Tynie said:

Is there not a group of Hearts fans and Schalke 04 who visit each other regularly? 

7 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

yeah. I think Locky who posts on here visits them regularly. 

You chaps are both in fact correct. Myself and another poster are in the pic below. Somehow got a lot of publicity this week without even doing anything. :lol:

Not that I'm complaining.

2 hours ago, goader said:

It has to Schalke 04.  I was sent this at the start of the week

schalke 04.jpg

Rick James
8 hours ago, Jeff said:

Bundesliga restarts tomorrow.

Who are we all following?

Schalke 04 for me

8 hours ago, Sneckiejambo said:

Schalke  04. 🇱🇻👍

5 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Schalke 04

3 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

Me too. Bought a top when visiting family in 1979 .

Good folks. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, goader said:

It has to Schalke 04.  I was sent this at the start of the week

schalke 04.jpg

Me as well. Was planning to go there prior to lockdown with the wee lad. 

9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've always found it utterly bizarre that folk feel the need to have a German team, a French team, a Spanish team.

Whos your Uzbeki team bud?

PFK Metallurg Bekabad  

braveheart
1 hour ago, Locky said:

You chaps are both in fact correct. Myself and another poster are in the pic below. Somehow got a lot of publicity this week without even doing anything. :lol:

Not that I'm complaining.

Schalke 04 for me.seen them 15 times over the years although not always the best of results.one of the worst results was the year they went through to Dortmund 2nd last game of the season.a win would have effectively won them their 1st bundesliga title but like hearts they blew it.last game I was at was February when RB Leipzig gubbed them 0-5☹️

Rick James
36 minutes ago, braveheart said:

Schalke 04 for me.seen them 15 times over the years although not always the best of results.one of the worst results was the year they went through to Dortmund 2nd last game of the season.a win would have effectively won them their 1st bundesliga title but like hearts they blew it.last game I was at was February when RB Leipzig gubbed them 0-5☹️

Myself and a couple of other posters go over once a year. You'd be more than welcome to join us braveheart.

Rick James
31 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

West......Munich 1860

East.......Hertha Berlin

Hertha have always been West. ;) 

Schalke 04.

Brilliant away support when we played them at Murrayfield.

I used to visit Dortmund and Lipstadt on business and although mostly Dortmund, I did meet with a few Schalke fans.   I'm hoping to get over to few German games next season.

Lived in Dortmund for 2 years, 81-83, approx 15mins,walk from westphalan stadion.  (as it was). 

There's **** all celtic connection. Its those weegie twats wanting renown around the globe thinking they are man u or liverpool in comparison. 

Dortmund have been my German team for 30+ years and no  amount of celtic bumlicking arseholery will change my mind. 

Midloth_Iain
18 minutes ago, Locky said:

Myself and a couple of other posters go over once a year. You'd be more than welcome to join us braveheart.

I see the Schalke club you meet with are based in Heidelberg .....

Apart from the obvious (castle/palace), is it worth a visit ?

I tend to go to Germany once every couple of years, considering a future trip ......

Rick James
1 minute ago, Ruud Krol said:

I see the Schalke club you meet with are based in Heidelberg .....

Apart from the obvious (castle/palace), is it worth a visit ?

I tend to go to Germany once every couple of years, considering a future trip ......

Lovely wee city mate. Not a lot to see and do really, but only 45 minutes by train from Stuttgart which I also like. Definitely worth a visit, but you could probably settle for a day there. Cracking old town with nice bars and restaurants.

chuck berrys hairline
6 hours ago, Cut The Crap said:

Too green IMO. Now this...

1. FC Kaiserslautern 18-19 Home & Away Kits Released - Footy Headlines

I had the century maroon and white kappa strip when they were all the rage. Kind of Ajax style absolute belter of a top. My uncle stayed just outside the town when i last visited great place. 

11 hours ago, davemclaren said:

My adopted side ( Hannover 96 ) are in the second Bundesliga unfortunately. 

My chosen German side too. For various reasons. I just wish the club colours matched the home shirt! A side that play in red and all the club colours are green. 

and it would be the one fixture postponed due to Dresdens situation!

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Mollo said:

My chosen German side too. For various reasons. I just wish the club colours matched the home shirt! A side that play in red and all the club colours are green. 

and it would be the one fixture postponed due to Dresdens situation!

Yip. They firmed from two teams merging, one played in red snd one green. Explains the two colours. I have German friends from there there which explains my connection. 

Midloth_Iain
18 minutes ago, Locky said:

Lovely wee city mate. Not a lot to see and do really, but only 45 minutes by train from Stuttgart which I also like. Definitely worth a visit, but you could probably settle for a day there. Cracking old town with nice bars and restaurants.

thanks...

will give you a shout for tips if it comes off 👍

braveheart
1 hour ago, Locky said:

Cheers locky.visited Heidelberg in 2008.think we used it as a stopover for a visit to Hoffenheim and sandhausen.very German city but it's a bit stretched out from the hbf.need to goto heidenheim and aue to complete bundesliga 2.

germany nov 08 217.JPG

Rick James
3 minutes ago, braveheart said:

Cheers locky.visited Heidelberg in 2008.think we used it as a stopover for a visit to Hoffenheim and sandhausen.very German city but it's a bit stretched out from the hbf.need to goto heidenheim and aue to complete bundesliga 2.

germany nov 08 217.JPG

Yeah your right, not much to really do around hbf, old town is a good 20 minute walk at least.

Fortuna Dusseldorf for me.

Only because it's where the first series of Auf Weidersehen, Pet (the best TV prog ever) was set. 

Turned out the cast/crew never set foot in the city. The scenes of (West) Germany were shot in Hamburg and the building site and hut was on a film lot near London that, soon after, became Albert Square. 

Still fond of Fortuna, though. 

Edited by martoon

Midloth_Iain
6 hours ago, martoon said:

Only because it's where the first series of Auf Weidersehen, Pet (the best TV prog ever) was set. 

Turned out the cast/crew never set foot in the city. The scenes of (West) Germany were shot in Hamburg and the building site and hut was on a film lot near London that, soon after, became Albert Square. 

went to Dusseldorf for a mates 40th (same time as World Cup 2010), fabulous place for nightlife and the riverside area had some great open air bars (it was sunny and hot).

Had the pleasue of watching Germany 4- 1 England there !

Great place

Like to see Wolfsburg do well, but I couldn’t actually support them as such. Been to a couple of their games as I have mates over there. They also helped us out when we were in admin.

17 hours ago, tian447 said:

One of my pals is a diehard Eintracht Frankfurt fan.   He's from Germany and studied across here. I played sport with him, and we would often try and catch the games together. 

We would also watch the Hearts games together in the pub or just with a group of pals in front of the TV, he was just one of those lads that loves football.  He started to get a bit more into Scottish football.

He's moved back home now, but several months ago, he sent me a picture on Facebook:

78726399_954462408274213_818864913174547]

He'd managed to track one down in a shop back home, and now wears it to training.  Good lad :thumbsup:

For that reason, Eintracht are my German team!

Eintracht for me....basically because I've lived here for past year. Off to the 4 Corners at 6:30 tonight to watch it, always a good crowd in there when Eintracht play.

Fort Vallance
22 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Don't give a feck. Hope it goes well for everyone involved.

When Scotland and Hearts play, then I'll give a feck.

You sound like a real bundle of fun.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Ruud Krol said:

went to Dusseldorf for a mates 40th (same time as World Cup 2010), fabulous place for nightlife and the riverside area had some great open air bars (it was sunny and hot).

Had the pleasue of watching Germany 4- 1 England there !

Great place

I agree.

Usually the city I go to, if I'm going to see Dortmund. I have cousins who live there, who have introduced me to the Brauhaus experience, which is great in Dusseldorf. 

It's the same as any other city, in that it has it has areas you don't feel quite so comfortable in, but most of it is good to be in and mingling with the locals.

5 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

You sound like a real bundle of fun.

Oh right, having a German football team is the definition of fun. Ok! I'll pick... 🤔

Jingle Bells
12 hours ago, Locky said:

Hertha have always been West. ;) 

True as far as the League is concerned, however a large percentage of their Support where trapped on the wrong side of the Wall, whilst they could hear the noise from their stadium on match days (which is/was a stone throw away) they were barred from attending the actual  games on mass, hence my soft spot for them.
Edited by Jingle Bells
error

davemclaren
8 hours ago, martoon said:

Visited Dusseldorf during the 2006 World Cup. Got my camera pinched at the top of the turm.  🤨

Rick James
16 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:
True as far as the League is concerned, however a large percentage of their Support where trapped on the wrong side of the Wall, whilst they could hear the noise from their stadium on match days (which is/was a stone throw away) they were barred from attending the actual  games on mass, hence my soft spot for them.

Quite right. Would've been horrible to experience that.

I remember being genuinely astounded when I found out they have never won a league title or German cup. They were champions in 1930 and 1931 of Germany, but it was a very different format and structure.