Contracts / players

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

Here is a thought, if we are demoted/ expelled will relegation clauses be recognised in both players wages and release fees. 

For example, if Boyce has the reported "relegation release" fee of £300k, could we say bolt, its not activated. 

Likewise players wages dropping contractually- not agreed ofc., if agreed then not an issue. 

Could this inflate compensation / our legal claim? 

Are demotion (expulsion) / relegation contractually and legally the same and I've just wasted a precious thought on this? 

If it's different in this sense, then it creates more issues and multiplies the unfairness further and maybe strengthens our legal position? 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Kidd’s Boots

I seem to remember reading clarification from AB regarding contracts, might have been on the club website. When the players agreed to the current reductions, it was effectively the same as they would have been asked to take following a normal season relegation. IRC, she also stated that if demotion was imposed, the players wouldn't receive a further reduction in contracts. If this is the case, I would suspect that only clauses such as the Boyce one mentioned would be the applicable ones. The way things have panned out in the past couple of weeks makes me think AB could see where things might end up and cut cloth accordingly early. 

Compensation would really only be calculated on loss of earnings to the business. TV money, hospitality, gate receipts, advertising revenue that type of thing. 

Gorillajam

I'm not sure any relegation clauses are going to have much affect at this time given the current economic climate and state of Scottish football. Scottish clubs outside of the OF including Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and the vermin are not going to have the financial capabilities they previously had and are unlikely to pay a transfer fee for players. Clubs in England are in the same boat. With that in mind you may see an increase in youth players being embedded into the first teams of all Scottish clubs once football resumes. I'm anticipating teams will replace those whose contracts expire this summer with youngsters. Boyce, Walker etc will possibly remain as a result. Those who are remaining at the club for next season will have to take a pay cut or will have to agree to a mutual termination of their current contract.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Gordon7co said:

Maybe the players would have a separate case for loss of earnings against SPFL.

Interesting point. 

It really is a cluster ****. 

It maybe that demotion/ relegation / expulsion on are all the same but usually legal documents are very specific.

I remember a person lost in court when he put money on rangers being relegated, the bookie never paid out. 

The courts ruled that they were not relegated, iirc new club entry into the league, not relegated. 

Not related, but interesting that they did recognize relegation as being different from what happened to them. 

3 hours ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

I seem to remember reading clarification from AB regarding contracts, might have been on the club website. When the players agreed to the current reductions, it was effectively the same as they would have been asked to take following a normal season relegation. IRC, she also stated that if demotion was imposed, the players wouldn't receive a further reduction in contracts. If this is the case, I would suspect that only clauses such as the Boyce one mentioned would be the applicable ones. The way things have panned out in the past couple of weeks makes me think AB could see where things might end up and cut cloth accordingly early. 

Compensation would really only be calculated on loss of earnings to the business. TV money, hospitality, gate receipts, advertising revenue that type of thing. 

I think that is broadly correct but apologise if I'm wrong.  I think if the shutdown lasted and we went down so also should the salaries, but she would not apply the 30% cut again to the reduced salary.  By way of illustration only I interpreted it thus

Salary in Premier now say £2000 pw less 30% cut = £1400

Salary in Ch/ship say £1500 less 30% would have been £1050 but by not applying the cut they would still get £1400 to avoid double jeopardy.  Hope I'm right.

Selkirkhmfc1874

The one good thing that I think will come out of this is players and there agents won't be making anywhere the same money at our level anyway 

EH23-Jambo
5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I think that is broadly correct but apologise if I'm wrong.  I think if the shutdown lasted and we went down so also should the salaries, but she would not apply the 30% cut again to the reduced salary.  By way of illustration only I interpreted it thus

Salary in Premier now say £2000 pw less 30% cut = £1400

Salary in Ch/ship say £1500 less 30% would have been £1050 but by not applying the cut they would still get £1400 to avoid double jeopardy.  Hope I'm right.

That's right. I remember reading that too.