Happy Scottish Cup winners day

mickycameron98

mickycameron98

14 years ago. So ok so it was V Gretna on penalties but every cup win is special and should be remembered. For me it was the only one of the 3 recent ones that I got to see with my Dad. Turned out a little nervy in the end.....

Rick James

First time I was old enough to really appreciate Hearts winning a cup (I was only 4 in 98) and a beautifully fitting end to a wonderful season.

It's a bugbear of mine that we weren't in Europe that season as that team could've done pretty special things, but it would've been a travesty not to win something, because that was easily one of the greatest Hearts teams overall in many years, at least in terms of sheer quality.

Had to make do with watching the final on TV but my old man took me to the semi. Almost made a right arse of it, but we got there in the end and that's all the matters. 

chubby1973

If ever there was a world championship or Olympic sport of "doing everything in the hardest way possible". Then we'd be unbeatable at it. 

Great day, great result, but boy did we make it bloody hard for ourselves!! 

Maybe we should rename it, "Robbie Neilson day"? If he hadn't made that tackle, Gretna would probably have won. 

No doubt regarded as the least glorious of the "3 Cups" but isn't it great we have that luxury? A trophy win that includes a 4-0 pumping of Hibs at Hampden yet, too most, it's in third place. 

Салатные палочки

Still celebrated like a madman at the end but that was one hell of a nervy game.   

5 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Still celebrated like a madman at the end but that was one hell of a nervy game.   

Indeed. A long, nerve shredding afternoon but the final outcome is all that matters on Cup final day. 🏆🙋

Nookie Bear

It was a struggle but that Gretna team were lower end SPFL quality and not the plucky amateurs some made them out to be. 

Dougie McDonald tried his best, mind 😡

Absolute justice that utter huddy Townsley missed a penalty after his involvement at the red card. Ex Hibs prick. 😁

Fxxx the SPFL

A win is a win at the end of the day, really enjoyed after match celebrations and even when the late Brookes Mileson led the Gretna squad round the stadium the Hearts fans applauded them to a man.

What a character Mileson was smoked about 100 fags a day and only drunk Lucozade i think. Died when he was only 60.

That Hibs **** MacDonald did his absolute best for Gretna that day.

We got there in the end, but by god we made it harder than it should’ve been.

I almost had a heart attack mind, when I saw Neilson step up to take a penalty though :lol:

Edited by iantjambo

10 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I almost had a heart attack mind, when I saw Neilson step up to take a penalty though :lol:

Alan Main made those penalties easier for us. Every single one he just feebly drops to his left while the ball sails into the net on his right. 

Good man. 😂

The Gorgie

14 years ago i broke my collar bone then. Watched most of the game in the sick kids, good times.

Edited by Mr 3 Putt

Rick James

Does anyone ever get consumed by crippling fear just thinking about how things would be if Gretna had won that? :lol: 

6 hours ago, iantjambo said:

His failure to award us a penalty in extra time can only be put down to bias.  No comparison with the one he did award to Gretna.

AlimOzturk

The least favourite of the cup final wins for me but ultimately it topped of a great season

Crazy to think though that after finishing second and winning a Scottish cup I am still left thinking "what if" George Burley wasn't sacked. 

What I would give to have some of that talent available now. Rudi, Miko, Janny, Hartley, Takis and Brellier to name but a few. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

29 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The least favourite of the cup final wins for me but ultimately it topped of a great season

Crazy to think though that after finishing second and winning a Scottish cup I am still left thinking "what if" George Burley wasn't sacked. 

What I would give to have some of that talent available now. Rudi, Miko, Janny, Hartley, Takis and Brellier to name but a few. 

I could be rightfully ridiculed for saying it but can winning a Cup seem like a anti-climax?  Maybe not, more the performance and way we had to win it I suppose.  

We had such a great team and defeated numerous SPL sides to get to the Final, we dared to assume it was a formality. I think everyone expected a comfortable win, a triumphant support with ten minutes to go singing songs of victory until the final whistle , to cap a truly unforgettable season. 

In true Hearts style we did it the hard way!  In the end, and as the weekend continued after the game, there was a great degree of satisfaction as i reminisced about a season just completed. 

That team deserved their winners medals even though they made themselves sweat for them! They gave, not only Hearts fans some great memories, I think many neutrals enjoyed a team that challenged, for a good chunk of the season, the two uglies.  

The tackle 😍

Genuinely think if one of the big names had made that tackle it'd still get talked about now. The way he just comes from nowhere to save a certain goal and then the calmness to put his penalty top corner (Yes I was bricking it when he stepped up too :rofl: )

This actually made me quite nostalgic... I'd have been 17 and just finishing school... A summer without a care in the world then off to uni, best Hearts team of my lifetime and a rollercoaster season topped off with a cup win... Good times 😍

Pasquale for King
13 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

14 years ago. So ok so it was V Gretna on penalties but every cup win is special and should be remembered. For me it was the only one of the 3 recent ones that I got to see with my Dad. Turned out a little nervy in the end.....

Me too funnily enough, he wasn’t there in 1998 or 2012.

So in September 2005 my future sister in law tells me she’s getting married on May 13th 2006. I tell them right away if Hearts get to the final I’m going. So my future wife takes my suit to Dunfermline to the wedding as I go to the final. Extra time and penalties were not kind. Huge queue at the train station, free train journey from Haymarket to Dunfermline, taxi to hotel, change into suit and sneak in, everybody notices me and my first pint of the day lies untouched as I’m dragged to the buffet and asked about the game. I get introduced to my now wife’s eccentric millionaire uncle, he lived on a farm in France ten miles from the nearest person, who basically earned a fortune working for BT in Australia installing WiFi or something. My future father in law and the uncle sit me down and have a chat about priorities etc, I jokingly say it’s ok I told the bride I would go to her next wedding. No laughs. Got drunk.

Had a great end to a weird day. The happy couple got divorced within a year, I was at her second wedding and didn’t mention what I said at the first 😆😃.

Edited by Pasquale for King

SectionDJambo

Strange how more than a few of us don’t talk much of this one. 
Maybe it’s because of the squeak we had from a game we should have won easily. That, and 1998 and 2012 were immense.

Could also be the semi final, which was another glorious win against them, made the final a wee bit of an anti climax.

Speaking as part of a Hearts generation that really thought we’d never see 1 Scottish Cup, to see 3, so far, is brilliant.

I’m raising a glass to the team of 2005/06. Probably the best playing squad I’ve seen in my very long service as a fan of our great club.

13 hours ago, martoon said:

No doubt regarded as the least glorious of the "3 Cups" but isn't it great we have that luxury? A trophy win that includes a 4-0 pumping of Hibs at Hampden yet, too most, it's in third place. 

I think the 4-0 was an even better performance than the 5-1. Hartley was World class that day. His free kick had the hobbit soiling the back of their pants and me soiling the front of mine...

J.T.F.Robertson

Decided to go back for the semi-final thereby forfeiting the final. No regrets on that score.

Watched the final here along with a certain much respected, ex-cop, JKB poster. 

Was a LOT closer than we both expected.

44 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Decided to go back for the semi-final thereby forfeiting the final. No regrets on that score.

Watched the final here along with a certain much respected, ex-cop, JKB poster. 

Was a LOT closer than we both expected.

Snap.  Wish I had caught up with you.  Had a great 10 days or so.

Салатные палочки
19 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

It was a struggle but that Gretna team were lower end SPFL quality and not the plucky amateurs some made them out to be. 

True. They were battering teams week in week out in the lower leagues. Main, Townsley, Innes, Tosh,  O'Neil, Grady, McQuilken, all players with SPL experience. 

Plucky second division team? More like doped up with money they didn't have in the first place. The fairytale soon turned to shit after that. 

I didn't appreciate it at the time but it was actually a very good game. 

Biggest Hearts support since the 1956 final as well. 

Even though we ended up with Hearts fans in every area of the ground and had a huge allocation people were still looking for tickets outside the ground. 

I had a spare as one of our party couldn't make it at the last minute. 

The delight on one young supporters face when I said yes to his request for a ticket was satisfying. 👍

9 hours ago, TNCASTLE said:

I think the 4-0 was an even better performance than the 5-1. Hartley was World class that day. His free kick had the hobbit soiling the back of their pants and me soiling the front of mine...

Brilliant day. Greeting the team bus on the street outside, the pre-match atmosphere and then the game started. 

Dream day. 

On 13/05/2020 at 12:11, martoon said:

The players were running on empty in that final after what had been a psychologically draining and turbulent season. I actually felt very emotional at the end. Joy and relief. In a way it was much more emotional than the end of the second-half procession in 2012, which was more about intense satisfaction at a job well done in the most historic derby ever. For me, anyway.

gorgie rd eh11

Going to penalties was nerve jangling at the time, but it did have it's bonuses. Hibs friends of mine had decided to get out of Edinburgh for the weekend and later described how excited and then gutted they had become listening to the shoot out on the radio in some far away part of Scotland. I'd imagine that was every hibs fan so it was good we managed to build up their hopes and like so often knock them down.

I loved winning the cup in 2006, it might only have been Gretna in the final but 3 top 6 teams had been put out on the way Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and hibs.

20 minutes ago, leginten said:

The players were running on empty in that final after what had been a psychologically draining and turbulent season. I actually felt very emotional at the end. Joy and relief. In a way it was much more emotional than the end of the second-half procession in 2012, which was more about intense satisfaction at a job well done in the most historic derby ever. For me, anyway.

Take your point, bud. 

I thoroughly enjoyed and squeezed as much joy as possible from all three. After what had gone before, I didn't let any of them pass by without celebrating each to the extreme. Same trophy won but all three unfolded in entirely different ways with their own set of emotions and memories. 

A period of regular trophy winning would be required to put that to the test. Would they all feel different and unique if Hearts lifting silverware was commonplace?

There's a test I'd love to take. 😊🏆

4 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

Going to penalties was nerve jangling at the time, but it did have it's bonuses. Hibs friends of mine had decided to get out of Edinburgh for the weekend and later described how excited and then gutted they had become listening to the shoot out on the radio in some far away part of Scotland. I'd imagine that was every hibs fan so it was good we managed to build up their hopes and like so often knock them down.

I loved winning the cup in 2006, it might only have been Gretna in the final but 3 top 6 teams had been put out on the way Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and hibs.

My sister's friend (the image of her comforting her crying family after Hibs' play off defeat regularly appears on JKB) did the same. Fled to London for the weekend, apparently, noticed Hearts were huffing and puffing and made for a pub to watch the penalties. Like Hamilton a few years later, they didn't go her way, either. 😭

8 minutes ago, martoon said:

Take your point, bud. 

I thoroughly enjoyed and squeezed as much joy as possible from all three. After what had gone before, I didn't let any of them pass by without celebrating each to the extreme. Same trophy won but all three unfolded in entirely different ways with their own set of emotions and memories. 

A period of regular trophy winning would be required to put that to the test. Would they all feel different and unique if Hearts lifting silverware was commonplace?

There's a test I'd love to take. 😊🏆

I often wonder how Celtic (and, previously, Rangers) fans feel about the never-ending flow of trophies. Especially since all the cups are won at a ground that struggles to reach the definition of neutral and is only a couple of miles from their own shitpit. A League Cup win at Hampden can hardly be the most exciting thing in the world for them.

I’d love to win a lot more than we do, obviously. Three trophies in my half-century following Hearts is a really poor haul for a club of our relative stature. We should have been heading for a period where we could challenge regularly right now, but...

1 minute ago, leginten said:

I often wonder how Celtic (and, previously, Rangers) fans feel about the never-ending flow of trophies. Especially since all the cups are won at a ground that struggles to reach the definition of neutral and is only a couple of miles from their own shitpit. A League Cup win at Hampden can hardly be the most exciting thing in the world for them.

I’d love to win a lot more than we do, obviously. Three trophies in my half-century following Hearts is a really poor haul for a club of our relative stature. We should have been heading for a period where we could challenge regularly right now, but...

Aye. Back to the drawing board for us but bring it on. 

1 minute ago, martoon said:

Aye. Back to the drawing board for us but bring it on. 

Unrelated, but for some reason I watched our goals and then the last twenty minutes of the 1998 final last night. Long time since I had last watched, and I had forgotten quite a lot: the fact that Fulton was absolutely done and couldn’t even pass the ball at the end, resulting in Rangers regaining possession and threatening our goal; Willie Young adding on God knows how much time - where did it all come from? And their penalty claim - looking back, it was on the line and should have been given. 

If ever there was such a thing as a voice from heaven, it was my friend saying “He’s given a free-kick” as I was staring at the ground in despair.

1 hour ago, leginten said:

Unrelated, but for some reason I watched our goals and then the last twenty minutes of the 1998 final last night. Long time since I had last watched, and I had forgotten quite a lot: the fact that Fulton was absolutely done and couldn’t even pass the ball at the end, resulting in Rangers regaining possession and threatening our goal; Willie Young adding on God knows how much time - where did it all come from? And their penalty claim - looking back, it was on the line and should have been given. 

If ever there was such a thing as a voice from heaven, it was my friend saying “He’s given a free-kick” as I was staring at the ground in despair.

I recall Robert Duvall questioning that, too. It was in the days before the added time indication practice and he found it all very underhand and dodgy.

10 minutes ago, martoon said:

I recall Robert Duvall questioning that, too. It was in the days before the added time indication practice and he found it all very underhand and dodgy.

“Hey Mart, why is this guy adding on so much time?”

”Shut the **** up Robert, I’m watching the game.”

🙂

7 minutes ago, leginten said:

“Hey Mart, why is this guy adding on so much time?”

”Shut the **** up Robert, I’m watching the game.”

🙂

Aye, but I was watching it through my fingers, mate.