Memory Foam Mattresses

rudiatemyhamster

rudiatemyhamster

Anyone got a memory foam mattress?

Loads of reviews online about how they are sooo good and best night sleep ever.

Hidden amongst the reviews are some worrying ones though - they smell and fall apart after a year.

My old school pocket sprung has lasted years but does need replaced.

Some info would be appreciated 👍

Edited by rudiatemyhamster
Grammar

Mine is almost ready to be replaced, but that's been 10 years. Very comfy, although you can find you can get very hot through the night. 

I was going to get one but changed my mind after looking at reviews and speaking to folk who have or had one, mixed responses but too many negative for my liking.

Went instead for a pretty expensive pocket sprung one and it's brilliant.

Can't remember the spec or the price but got it from Oak Furniture Land when we got a new bed last year.

Edit: Wife says it was about £600.

Edited by graygo

I’ve got an Otty mattress which is a hybrid and has foam and springs, still comes in a box though.

I like it and have had it just over a year with no issues, the pillows are not for me though. I paid £600 for it but they have dropped the price just now, think you can send it back if it’s not for you

Jambo-Jimbo

Got a 3 inch thick memory foam mattress topper, it has to be at least 12 yrs old, it's still brilliant and cost a fraction of new mattress would.

IIRC cost £102 from eBay.

We’ve got a Eve premium mattress and pillows, best investment I’ve made regarding mattresses. I suffer from a sore back and it’s help me get a better nights sleep. I wasn’t a fan of memory foam previous to this. 

hughesie27

Would like to hear if anyone has experience of an Emma Mattress.

Quite cheap just now. Relatively speaking.

rudiatemyhamster
32 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Mattresses?

We’ve officially ran out things to talk about :lol:

No offence op :D

It’s a tricky subject

queensferryjambo

We got a memory foam mattress (think it was Tempur or Dormeo one of the big names at the time) for the first 2 years it was brilliant.

After a couple of years though it was terrible. Because of the shapes left in the memory foam your sleeping position was skewed and both me and my wife got back pain due to the mattress.

Went to buy a normal mattress after that and the sales people in the shop just kept trying to sell the memory foam ones. It got to the point where we actually kept saying shop to shop we didn't want memory foam. Oddly enough in one shop there was another couple saying the exact same as us.

I wouldn't get one again but that was just my experience.

23 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

We have a Tempur mattress. Its good and would recommend.

They are good as you don’t get effected by the other persons movement. We have one with some temperature control thing and never had any issue. I find it personally much better for my back and as restless sleeper I just generally find it comfier.

We spent quite a bit of time choosing the firmness that we wanted, so we knew exactly what we were getting. 

Stuff that, so you need to do all the hard work yourself? 😋

You're right though, that was the most important thing for me.

Spellczech
1 hour ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

Anyone got a memory foam mattress?

Loads of reviews online about how they are sooo good and best night sleep ever.

Hidden amongst the reviews are some worrying ones though - they smell and fall apart after a year.

My old school pocket sprung has lasted years but does need replaced.

Some info would be appreciated 👍

Avoid if possible as it is too hot for the male body. Memory foam was invented for women. It is becoming harder to avoid now I must admit. My wife replaced our memory foam mattress with a hybrid as I kept going and sleeping in the spare room as it was too hot. We now have one from Harrisons which was  quite expensive but much better. It is an hybrid so it has some memory foam but also horsehair and springs and stuff. So much better for a man's running temp!

Sooperstar
35 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Would like to hear if anyone has experience of an Emma Mattress.

Quite cheap just now. Relatively speaking.

I've got one. It's good. Easton has one too and he is much more passionate than me about how good it is.

Lone Striker

Agree with the comment above about the 3 inch topper - prefer having that to the actual memory foam mattress below it !!   A few years ago we fell for the craze of memory foam pillows       Big mistake !!   To this day, I still have a sore/stiff neck from that - we now use EVE pillows .... no idea whats in them, but they're soft and rebound gently.  Would definitely recommend them.

What's the next household item up for discussion then ? 😜

Walter Payton
36 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I've got one. It's good. Easton has one too and he is much more passionate than me about how good it is.

We moved house recently and bought a Superking size Emma mattress. Definitely getting a much better night sleep than before (though the increase in size of mattress may have helped!).

I bought a LEESA memory foam mattress a few years back. Had no issues comfort wise but heat wise, felt it could get a bit warm with me and my wife both sleeping on it.  It's now our spare bed and we have a bamboo topped pocket sprung matttress which is really comfortable and keeps us cooler. Cost about £700 though just for the mattress. On the subject of pillows, my wife, me and 5 year old all have the panda bamboo memory foam pillows. Smell a little for about 5 days but fades quite quickly. I find it supports me quite well when I'm sleeping, not too firm and not too soft.  You can buy direct from the company or order direct from Costco website. It's cheaper ordering through costco yet still gets despatched direct from manufacturer. My 5 year old loves hers. I bought the toddler one for my 1 year old. It's not made the wee bugger sleep any better and as for comfort, hes not at the stage to tell us if it's any good yet 😂

Ricardo Shillyshally

I found them hard to get my knees moving when I'm on the job.

Not ideal for my slick form of lovemaking.

Sooperstar
2 hours ago, Bring on the Future said:

We moved house recently and bought a Superking size Emma mattress. Definitely getting a much better night sleep than before (though the increase in size of mattress may have helped!).

Coincidentally we also increased our size from double to king when we got ours. Still doesn't stop her trying to lie on top of me but once I've banished her to the other side of the bed it does make a difference!

hughesie27
3 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

I asked him and he did give a glowing review. More important than his TV.

Unknown user

They do smell, they're chemical foam at the end of the day, but a 2 or 3 days' airing before use sorts that out. 

We got a 3 inch topper for a tired mattress with uncomfy springs, 67 quid from amazon. We got it to see if we could get away without buying a full mattress, and so we'd have something to make the floor more comfy when we have guests. **** guests though, it's brilliant, so comfy, you'd never know there was a shan mattress underneath.

Sooperstar
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

I asked him and he did give a glowing review. More important than his TV.

Madness.

6 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Mattresses?

We’ve officially ran out things to talk about :lol:

No offence op :D

It’s approaching that time of the evening when a glut of new threads appear.

Don't bet against a ‘Pillows’ or a ‘Duvets’ thread arriving shortly.

Probably both.

I had one before, it got too hot and after 30 mins I was lying in a swamp. 

Sprung mattresses breathe better. 

Spent a fortune on a Hypnos Cashmere mattress when we moved into our new house. Best money I've ever spent.

13 hours ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

Thanks - good to get feedback from real people

I got one of these for £150 earlier this year.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008I1E2OS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently £240

I have a very, very dodgy back and when it goes, it goes.  I bought this after one episode and it has been fine since.

It feels kinda weird at first, as you really do sink into it.  BUT.  It is very comfortable and I fall asleep quite easy in it and I am a very bad sleeper.  I also struggle to get out it in the morning as I am so comfortable.  🙂

It does smell when you first get it.  Not just a few days - a while.  Maybe a month or so, but I guess that could have been not having the windows open due to the cold.

tl;dr

Get one.  You 100% won't regret it.

Read the reviews.    You will always get people that complain, but go with the majority.

Edited by Lovecraft

We've a cheap and cheerful Dreamland one but bloody hell its great, we'll not have any other kind now, looking for a new one this summer. 

Fultons Right Leg

Got a Simba effort (voted the worlds comfiest mattress).

Bought it direct from their eBay store. Full price was 800 bar and I paid 200 i think. 

Couldn't recommend it enough.

We tried the memory foam mattresses in a shop. Although i found und it comfy at the time, I had a feeling it would hurt my dodgy upper spine. We went for a hybrid, best way forward in my opinion.

3fingersreid

Can you buy the make of mattresses that Premier Inn use in their rooms , always get a good nights sleep on them ? 
We used to have a memory foam mattress but like others have said they get you too hot to get a good sleep ,currently using an Ikea one that’s fine .

Ricardo Shillyshally
2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Can you buy the make of mattresses that Premier Inn use in their rooms , always get a good nights sleep on them ? 
We used to have a memory foam mattress but like others have said they get you too hot to get a good sleep ,currently using an Ikea one that’s fine .

Yes you can buy them. I think Martin & Frost sell them

11 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

https://www.premierinnbed.co.uk/

I don't quite get this memory foam concept. If your wife had an affair, would you be able to tell who it was from the impression her lover left in the memory foam?

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I don't quite get this memory foam concept. If your wife had an affair, would you be able to tell who it was from the impression her lover left in the memory foam?

No, but you can get DNA from the stains.

I bought a memory phone mattress about 3 years ago and as others have said, you get very hot most of the time.  Plus it eventually takes the shape of your body, but if you move about during your sleep, it becomes uncomfortable.

I've just bought a pocket sprung mattress and it is really good.  The more pockets it has the better (& dearer).