Little Richard (dead).

Tazio

Another one of the legends gone, the man the Beatles said influenced their singing style on the early records. A great shooter and intriguing character. 

A unique talent.

Influenced untold numbers of other musicians.

Gave not one solitary shite his entire life.

Edited by Cade

Good golly Miss Molly, that’s sad.  :sad: 

Hope he can ‘rip it up’ on the big stage in the sky.

RIP

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Hairdryer said:

Did he sing balls on fire 

Assuming this is a serious question :kirk:it was Jerry Lee Lewis (another hugely-talented songwriter, musician, and performer) who sang and played "Great Balls of Fire". Thankfully, Jerry Lee is still with us.

Little Richard was one of the greatest Rock-'n'-Roll legends, up there with Jerry Lee, Chuck Berry, and Sun-era Elvis.

Loved this from Folkways, the Smithsonian’s Leadbelly/Woody Guthrie tribute album. What a vocal performance.

Love Little Richard. Was surreally our soundtrack when on driving trips in Morocco. Driving around a Meknes bidonville lost AF with LR blaring out was always quite amusing to us.

Huge influence. His voice was like an extra instrument.

He, Jackie Wilson, Professor Longhair and Chuck Berry (perversions aside) still sound brilliant. Must have been amazing when these guys came out with music just no one had heard before.

And that's just rock n roll. You had Robert Johnson, Howling Wolf, Willie Johnson etc all knocking out the blues (not all same time right enough)

jambos are go!

A true legend. RIP.

As an aside these clips of him and his band performing great rock and roll songs to middle class white kids is truly stomach wrenching. 

luckyBatistuta
21 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Assuming this is a serious question :kirk:it was Jerry Lee Lewis (another hugely-talented songwriter, musician, and performer) who sang and played "Great Balls of Fire". Thankfully, Jerry Lee is still with us.

Little Richard was one of the greatest Rock-'n'-Roll legends, up there with Jerry Lee, Chuck Berry, and Sun-era Elvis.

Another one sadly gone…RIP

Don’t want to derail a sad thread, but got to mention this...Jerry Lee with his 13 year old cousin (soon to be wife) I know it was a different generation, but he was 23 years old and in a serious relationship with a 13 year old, not right then, or now.

22A3DDB0-DFA4-423C-9EE7-009737D3BBD4.jpeg

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Don’t want to derail a sad thread, but got to mention this...Jerry Lee with his 13 year old cousin (soon to be wife) I know it was a different generation, but he was 23 years old and in a serious relationship with a 13 year old, not right then, or now.

Yep, OK, Jerry Lee is/was dodgy on a number of levels*, but that takes nothing away from his music (for me anyway) and his place as one of the Rock-n-Roll legends. In the US state where they were married, the age of consent and at which you could get married was such that their marriage was actually legal at the time. Legal, yes; morally acceptable in the eyes of the vast majority, no.

Either way, please don't try and file him alongside Gary-feckin'-Glitter.

(*If you want further examples of dodginess in the rock world, check-out the lyrics of 'Stray Cat Blues' and take a wee look at the marital / relationship history of the bass player on that particular recording...   :whistling:   A multitude of wrongs never make a right, but there was a lot of it about in earlier decades in the music, art, and cinematic worlds and it was not always viewed with the same utter repugnance with which it rightly is today.)

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Beast

luckyBatistuta
41 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yep, OK, Jerry Lee is/was dodgy on a number of levels*, but that takes nothing away from his music (for me anyway) and his place as one of the Rock-n-Roll legends. In the US state where they were married, the age of consent and at which you could get married was such that their marriage was actually legal at the time. Legal, yes; morally acceptable in the eyes of the vast majority, no.

Either way, please don't try and file him alongside Gary-feckin'-Glitter.

(*If you want further examples of dodginess in the rock world, check-out the lyrics of 'Stray Cat Blues' and take a wee look at the marital / relationship history of the bass player on that particular recording...   :whistling:   A multitude of wrongs never make a right, but there was a lot of it about in earlier decades in the music, art, and cinematic worlds and it was not always viewed with the same utter repugnance with which it rightly is today.)

I never mentioned Gary Glitter, but now you’ve brought him up, the one thing they do have in common is, they both had sex with little girls. 

Auld Reekin'
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I never mentioned Gary Glitter, but now you’ve brought him up, the one thing they do have in common is, they both had sex with little girls. 

:jj_facepalm:

We'll leave it there, shall we? You can build a bonfire of his records and burn an effigy of him on top of it, if that's what you want to do; I'll continue to listen to the fantastic music he made.   :icon14:

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

:jj_facepalm:

We'll leave it there, shall we? You can build a bonfire of his records and burn an effigy of him on top of it, if that's what you want to do; I'll continue to listen to the fantastic music he made.   :icon14:

I was actually just posting that just in case you didn’t know about that specific part of his past👍

Auld Reekin'
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I was actually just posting that just in case you didn’t know about that specific part of his past👍

Yep, well aware.

Little Richard is a sad loss. He genuinely did not give a **** what people thought/wanted. 

Re Jerry Lee the above story always makes me chuckle

jambostuart

Elvis was 24 when he met a 14 year old Priscilla. He's just as much of a beast as Jerry Lee. 

Back on topic, I am not overly familiar with a lot of his material but I do know Little Richard influenced my favourite all time musician Elton John,and his impact on rock and roll is second to none.