• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clerry Jambo

• martoon

• colinmaroon

• jamboozy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A true Hearts legend. Loved by all and earned every penny Hearts paid him.

3fingersreid
20 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

just look at that Dunbar end!

And the touch from Tosh to set it up 👏🏻👏🏻

Clerry Jambo

Indeed mate. I liked Tosh thought he was a classy player on his day, although he was a player that split opinions even between the mates

Clerry Jambo

Despite the loss, tremendous cup final and magnificent Hearts support as normal that day

• 2 weeks later...
Glamorgan Jambo

Looking at these clips you can see that Robbo's greatest assets were his speed of thought/reaction and his finishing accuracy. The number of goals he scored where he got to the break of the ball first, by speed of reaction because he was never the fastest, is pretty significant. As well as being a really clean striker of the ball. Legend.

colinmaroon
On 08/05/2020 at 00:36, leginten said:

Archie Macpherson, the football commentator momentarily struck dumb by the sight of a football entering the net. Every single time. Oh, and: “I think there’s a deflection”.  How the **** did this clown ever make a living at the licence-fee payers’ expense?

:1132:

I can picture Archie taking one of the Covid so-called press conferences in London, rambling on and blustering to avoid answering the question, particularly the one about a comparison between his and Boris' barnet. 

colinmaroon
On 08/05/2020 at 00:42, martoon said:

Don't forget Arthur Montford's sudden shout "IT'S A GOAL". 

No shit, Sherlock. 

What a stramash!  (A political comment for our times).

colinmaroon
On 10/05/2020 at 11:26, martoon said:

Although we lost 4-2 in the end one of my favourite "Robbo days" was the 1988 Hogmanay game at Parkhead. Two equalizers from the wee man that day: a first half penalty and another in the second half.

His second was an odd one. It was up at the Hearts end but, with a sort of diagonal view from our section, it looked like his first attempt had gone in. That was that. Started jumping around celebrating but then looked up in time to catch sight of him putting the ball in the net "again". Turned out he'd hit the post with the first attempt and had to ram in the rebound. It all happened in a flash, of course, but that's my memory of it.

It was, iirc, John's third game since his return from Newcastle (the most thrilling signing in my life time) and, despite the defeat, it was great to see that the wee legend was really BACK.

And what a difference being part of a huge Hearts support against the Uglies in their own backyard.

Harry Potter
On 15/05/2020 at 14:19, martoon said:

A true Hearts legend. Loved by all and earned every penny Hearts paid him.

Superb post and spot on and the wee man always has time to say hello.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Played against him once in a friendly. I played centre half and he taught me through the game. “Don’t get sucked in”, “why did you follow me over there”, “pass me on” etc,etc....it was amazing. Only 45 minutes but what an experience. Loved every minute and loved him. Great man.

2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

And what a difference being part of a huge Hearts support against the Uglies in their own backyard.

Aye. I was a teen/early 20's during the 1980's and never felt afraid going to Parkhead or Ibrox. I had 6/7k pals around me and around 2/3k were bampots. 😁

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Meant every word, Harry.

I have to be honest, however, and admit it was also a swipe at Levein and his devotees. They were on a turbo charged defence of him on his thread at the time I posted. 

Regardless, I love Robbo. 

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Meant every word, Harry.

I have to be honest, however, and admit it was also a swipe at Levein and his devotees. They were on a turbo charged defence of him on his thread at the time I posted. 

Regardless, I love Robbo. 

Love him too bud, was blessed to have  watched  him through his whole career at Hearts, obviously with the break at Newcastle as well.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Love him too bud, was blessed to have  watched  him through his whole career at Hearts, obviously with the break at Newcastle as well.

Same, Harry. 

I was at his debut, 4-1 v QotS in 1982, a few days after the Forfar debacle. Don't remember Robbo coming on though, I must admit, but I remember the game. Just over 2k at Tynie that night. 

2 hours ago, goldie83 said:

Played against him once in a friendly. I played centre half and he taught me through the game. “Don’t get sucked in”, “why did you follow me over there”, “pass me on” etc,etc....it was amazing. Only 45 minutes but what an experience. Loved every minute and loved him. Great man.

Sounds like a fantastic experience, bud, and typical of John. 

I'm jealous. 😉

Harry Potter
5 hours ago, goldie83 said:

He would have turned me inside out lol.

Clerry Jambo
6 hours ago, goldie83 said:

I remember playing a charity game at Saughton against Crabby and Gary Mackay.............night and day springs to mind

Obviously a stroll for these guys but fair play to Crabby who I was trying to defend against, I was serving at the reception later that day in the BMC and he said a nice few words to me which I will never forget, top bloke

pettigrewsstylist
7 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

My heart just about exploded when that went in.  What a comeback and what a finisher,

Aye it was some day. I have a memory of being in Gorgie Rd end that day for some bizarre reason.

Robbo wasn't just a good finisher. Folk forget how good he was at holding it up, linking play and his intelligence in creating space for others. 

Think one of my favourite ever Hearts goals was v Aberdeen in a 4-1 home win. I'm sure Stevie Fulton scored it but Robbo made it by pulling the defender out of position, holding him off and dumming it through both their legs to create the space for the goal. Genius. 

An absolute travesty he only got 16 caps or something ridiculous. 

pettigrewsstylist
4 hours ago, martoon said:

Same, Harry. 

I was at his debut, 4-1 v QotS in 1982, a few days after the Forfar debacle. Don't remember Robbo coming on though, I must admit, but I remember the game. Just over 2k at Tynie that night. 

Was Chris not on same pitch that night? I remember watching Chris scoring plenty for Hearts and then we heard he had a wee brother in the reserves that was "no bad"!  !!!!

We will never see his likes again wearing Maroon.

30 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Was Chris not on same pitch that night? I remember watching Chris scoring plenty for Hearts and then we heard he had a wee brother in the reserves that was "no bad"!  !!!!

We will never see his likes again wearing Maroon.

Aye. There was a 20 minute period when they played together.

Iirc, Chris left in the summer of 1982 and John started to flourish playing alongside, Ironically, Willie P. 

I recall from a previous exchange that we were both there when Pettigrew scored four v. Meadowbank in the EoSS final. He scored 3/4 a few times for Hearts.

Vaguely recall John crediting Willie with helping in his early development. 

Clerry Jambo
33 minutes ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

My favourite ever Hearts goal.

One of my favs as well at one of what was my fav away days/grounds

Clerry Jambo
1 minute ago, theAlvasection said:

How steep was that terracing! Best away day that year

👍

On 06/06/2020 at 13:01, theAlvasection said:

First time I stepped onto that terracing, 1983 iirc, I thought I was going to panic and fall off. 

Always love when Robbo is at Hearts. We should put him on salary, indefinitely, and let him do whatever role he wants.

He can just be there. 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, martoon said:

Always love when Robbo is at Hearts. We should put him on salary, indefinitely, and let him do whatever role he wants.

He can just be there. 

I feel the same way with JJ. He should be on the board really and/or have a position with FoH.

Hopefully Robbo is being considered as our next manager depending how things pan out.

TyphoonJambo
18 minutes ago, andi17 said:

Robbo is God

Ftfy

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I feel the same way with JJ. He should be on the board really and/or have a position with FoH.

Hopefully Robbo is being considered as our next manager depending how things pan out.

Aye. 

Would love to see both involved in our future in any/some capacity. 

FOH, within the club, paid or unpaid, Heart of Midlothian will be, and feel, all the better for having JJ and Robbo involved. 

Particularly going forward when taking on all the f****** who've attempted to hurt us. 

Soapy Soutar
On 06/06/2020 at 13:01, theAlvasection said:

I was only 6 then and wasnt there however if i could go back in time its a game i wish i could attend(as a adult)

On 22/05/2020 at 12:54, Clerry Jambo said:

Despite the loss, tremendous cup final and magnificent Hearts support as normal that day

One of only a handful of games when I've shed tears in nearly 50 years of watching football

jack D and coke
On 10/05/2020 at 13:38, Skippy Doodle said:

Highlights of that game

I was there. Look at the amount of fans we used to take there. Must’ve been 5-6000 easy in that corner it was absolutely packed in those days. That was regular for Parkhead but not for Ibrox for some reason. Rarely filled the broomloan stand. 

16 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I was there. Look at the amount of fans we used to take there. Must’ve been 5-6000 easy in that corner it was absolutely packed in those days. That was regular for Parkhead but not for Ibrox for some reason. Rarely filled the broomloan stand. 

We did once.

We also used to fill the top tier regularly.

Once we started getting the bottom tier that's when we started having problems filling it.

Guest ToqueJambo
On 08/06/2020 at 11:03, Jamhammer said:

One of only a handful of games when I've shed tears in nearly 50 years of watching football

Just like Robbo's goal vs D Utd in 86 left me feeling we'd won the league, that cup final left me feeling I'd never see Hearts win anything. Maybe that's the key - success comes when you least expect it so you have to keep watching, especially in the bad times!

15 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Just like Robbo's goal vs D Utd in 86 left me feeling we'd won the league, that cup final left me feeling I'd never see Hearts win anything. Maybe that's the key - success comes when you least expect it so you have to keep watching, especially in the bad times!

Bang on with both. I never thought we’d win the league until that Dundee Utd game and I thought after that Rangers game we were cursed and would never win anything.

I cried again at Parkhead in 98 tho. Wasn’t ashamed and wasn’t alone either. As a Jambo and West Ham fan I’ve had more than my share of disappointment but, I think the highs are more memorable