Bacon Roll - Ketchup or brown sauce?

Greedy Jambo

3 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

This on a fish finger sandwich is incredible. Youngs Gastro Chunky Fish Fingers, ciabatta roll, and the sauce. Beautiful. 

Screenshot_20200510-115604_Tesco Groceries.jpg

Ooooh. Classy

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Greedy Jambo

• IronJambo

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

You can all keep your bacon rolls anyway.

Today's lunch was a Waffle Razzler:

DynnlFK.jpg

that is the type of thing that causes you to need a piss jug in later life

6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Aye maybe. All grilled apart from the egg though, which would normally be poached in my house. Even then, it's less than what many will have in a full "English". 

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

:lol: 

:isee:

2 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Strictly salt & vinegar mate. Tartare for scampi only IMO

Hmmerrrrr I'd go upstairs to the Video ref for that one Janhammer, its touch and go for the Tartar - I'd spread it evenly across each of the fish fingers and nosh it down 

Shout out #soooperstar on this one, would go nicely on salmon with brick lane bagels. 

image.png.c38e52d4dfd7bd0c850bdf827c9e18c0.png

8 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Hmmerrrrr I'd go upstairs to the Video ref for that one Janhammer, its touch and go for the Tartar - I'd spread it evenly across each of the fish fingers and nosh it down 

Trialist at the weekend maybe

2 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Strictly salt & vinegar mate. Tartare for scampi only IMO

Totally disconnected but were you in Tesco Davidson's Mains yesterday? There was a guy in the queue in front of me in a West Ham top then I clocked he also had a Hearts tattoo, there can't be too many people ticking both of those boxes. 

Not stalking you likes...

38 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Totally disconnected but were you in Tesco Davidson's Mains yesterday? There was a guy in the queue in front of me in a West Ham top then I clocked he also had a Hearts tattoo, there can't be too many people ticking both of those boxes. 

Not stalking you likes...

No mate. Not me. Unlike The Highlander there can be more than one, obviously. Another man of impeccable taste. (i.e another masochist)

16 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

No mate. Not me. Unlike The Highlander there can be more than one, obviously. Another man of impeccable taste. (i.e another masochist)

I was wearing a Spurs baseball cap, it could have all kicked off! 

16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I was wearing a Spurs baseball cap, it could have all kicked off! 

57 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Wasn't me either 😂

1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

Wasn't me either 😂

To my knowledge there's at least half a dozen of us double long sufferers on here.

Sooperstar
1 hour ago, Deodato said:

Shout out #soooperstar on this one, would go nicely on salmon with brick lane bagels. 

image.png.c38e52d4dfd7bd0c850bdf827c9e18c0.png

Could be a shout for a lunch this week. I do love a bagel.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Brown sauce on a bacon roll and red on a sausage roll. 

My missus calls me strange for having red sauce on a roll, yet she puts it on cauliflower if we're having it for tea. Deviant.  

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Aye maybe. All grilled apart from the egg though, which would normally be poached in my house. Even then, it's less than what many will have in a full "English". 

Looks the absolute bollocks, Iron'. 

Hope it went down a treat. 👍

7 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Looks the absolute bollocks, Iron'. 

Hope it went down a treat. 👍

Was lush, but it's only a now and again thing.

Tatty waffle topped with 3 chipolata sausages, 2 rashers of smoked bacon and an egg. With another waffle on top, prepared with grilled cheese and hot sauce. 

The flavours compliment each other very well, with the egg yolk mixing into everything and working with the cheese as a cooling agent for the hot sauce. 

Governor Tarkin
23 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Was lush, but it's only a now and again thing.

Tatty waffle topped with 3 chipolata sausages, 2 rashers of smoked bacon and an egg. With another waffle on top, prepared with grilled cheese and hot sauce. 

The flavours compliment each other very well, with the egg yolk mixing into everything and working with the cheese as a cooling agent for the hot sauce. 

giphy (2).gif

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Brown sauce on a bacon roll and red on a sausage roll. 

My missus calls me strange for having red sauce on a roll, yet she puts it on cauliflower if we're having it for tea. Deviant.  

Don’t even know where to begin with that one.......🤮

21 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Bacon looks a bit underdone 🤢

Blackie the Cat

Brown and Red at the SAME TIME!!!!

I was in my 40's when my nephew said try both together. I thought he was mad but................really really nice.

Go on give it a bash and thank me later. 

Brown = Branston Rich & Fruity Sauce

Red =  Heinz Tomato Ketchup  

57 minutes ago, Blackie the Cat said:

Brown and Red at the SAME TIME!!!!

I was in my 40's when my nephew said try both together. I thought he was mad but................really really nice.

Go on give it a bash and thank me later. 

Brown = Branston Rich & Fruity Sauce

Red =  Heinz Tomato Ketchup  

The Mrs and Me did that in Harry Ramsden's and the waiter thought there was something wrong with the food. :D Magic!

Edited by ri Alban

4 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

Bacon looks a bit underdone 🤢

Nah. It still had moisture and flavour in it if that's what you mean. I won't eat cardboard unless it's called biltong.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

The Mrs and Me did that in Harry Ramsden's and the waiter thought there was something wrong with the food. :D Magic!

You gave it a bash in Harry Ramsden’s?

Magic!

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You gave it a bash in Harry Ramsden’s?

Magic!

HR's is pointless. 

:D

Greedy Jambo

On the subject of fish and tartar sauce, It's hell yes from me, Tartar sauce even goes with the peas. 

Don't buy Sainsbury's own cod fillets from the fridge area though, minging. 

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

None

Just a wee bit brown sauce though, go on. 

Go on, go on , go on, go on (mrs doyle style) 

Or failing that, would you like a nice cup of tea?

vegas-voss
16 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Just a wee bit brown sauce though, go on. 

Go on, go on , go on, go on (mrs doyle style) 

Or failing that, would you like a nice cup of tea?

😂

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Morning roll, chips or french fries (seasoned while still frozen), Young’s curry sauce (packet mix) and grated cheddar cheese on top.

Thank me later. 

9 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

Tartar sauce even goes with the peas. 

You are not supposed to say this in public, but then again - go on then. Hell yeah for T&P. 

Bit late to the party, but I confess, I do prefer Tomato on a bacon roll.

Usually like 2 rolls when I go to the burger van. One square (I will accept Lorne, but not slice) sausage with either black pudding or haggis and brown sauce. Followed by bacon and tattie scone, with tomato sauce. Washed down with a sweet tea, and a can of Irn Bru. I know what I want in life.

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Bit late to the party, but I confess, I do prefer Tomato on a bacon roll.

Usually like 2 rolls when I go to the burger van. One square (I will accept Lorne, but not slice) sausage with either black pudding or haggis and brown sauce. Followed by bacon and tattie scone, with tomato sauce. Washed down with a sweet tea, and a can of Irn Bru. I know what I want in life.

I was brought up calling it sliced sausage, dad from gorgie and mum from stenhouse. I usually call it square though as I have lived in a few different parts of scotland and find this to be the most widely recognised way of calling it.

11 minutes ago, superjack said:

I was brought up calling it sliced sausage, dad from gorgie and mum from stenhouse. I usually call it square though as I have lived in a few different parts of scotland and find this to be the most widely recognised way of calling it.

I've always found the slice terminology more of a west coast thing which is why it probably grates me so much. Don't think I heard it until I was in my late teens.

Lorne I know of as the official name, but it was always square for me growing up.

Related to this thread but a bit off topic, but does anyone get really pissed off when someone describes a roll and sausage as a sausage roll?

When I go to Greggs and ask for a sausage roll and they ask is it pastry or an actual roll? It's pastry ya **** because that's what a sausage roll is. Me and my girlfriend then had this debate because she went to Greggs at work and asked her colleagues what they wanted and her pal messaged for a sausage roll, then she got stressed because her pal wouldn't respond to the 'pastry or roll' question.

They are 2 different things, therefore for the avoidance of doubt, they have 2 different names.

50 minutes ago, Locky said:

Related to this thread but a bit off topic, but does anyone get really pissed off when someone describes a roll and sausage as a sausage roll?

When I go to Greggs and ask for a sausage roll and they ask is it pastry or an actual roll? It's pastry ya **** because that's what a sausage roll is. Me and my girlfriend then had this debate because she went to Greggs at work and asked her colleagues what they wanted and her pal messaged for a sausage roll, then she got stressed because her pal wouldn't respond to the 'pastry or roll' question.

They are 2 different things, therefore for the avoidance of doubt, they have 2 different names.

Must be a new or an East coast thing. But if I ever had anyone in any Gregg's shop say sausage nutty, I'll not be responsible for the rebranding of the shop.

highlandjambo3
56 minutes ago, Locky said:

I was with my granddaughter a few years ago, 6y old then and a moody little thing.  We stopped off at a roadside cafe just north of Perth and I asked for a bacon roll for me and a sausage roll for her, well I got my bacon roll but she got the pastry thing 🙄.....As the plates were put in front of us I Instantly seen what was being served and immediately avoided eye contact with her as she would have created a scene.....ended up alright as she pulled the pastry apart and just ate the sausage.

Id have thought ordering one bacon and one sausage roll would have been obvious....more the fool me.

38 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Must be a new or an East coast thing. But if I ever had anyone in any Gregg's shop say sausage nutty, I'll not be responsible for the rebranding of the shop.

I've seen the term butty get used a lot more recently. That's traditionally an English thing. Bloody Sassenachs.

29 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I was with my granddaughter a few years ago, 6y old then and a moody little thing.  We stopped off at a roadside cafe just north of Perth and I asked for a bacon roll for me and a sausage roll for her, well I got my bacon roll but she got the pastry thing 🙄.....As the plates were put in front of us I Instantly seen what was being served and immediately avoided eye contact with her as she would have created a scene.....ended up alright as she pulled the pastry apart and just ate the sausage.

Id have thought ordering one bacon and one sausage roll would have been obvious....more the fool me.

In that context, I can see the confusion. My bird tried to counter argue during our debate, that you don't call a bacon roll, 'a roll and bacon' but I merely pointed out that's because there's no such thing as a pastry filled with bacon called a bacon roll.

Strictly speaking, a roll and sausage is a sausage roll. But it just leads to too much confusion. Much easier to just say a roll and sausage.

Greedy Jambo
2 hours ago, Locky said:

I cant bring myself to say "a roll and sausage" it sounds bloody stupid. 

Err can I have a roll and bacon as well? 

Naw, it's bacon roll so yer no getting one! 

I do realise that a sausage roll is 1st and foremost a sausage wrapped in pastry, which is why I say "can I have a link sausage roll". 

1 hour ago, Space Pirate said:

I cant bring myself to say "a roll and sausage" it sounds bloody stupid. 

Err can I have a roll and bacon as well? 

Naw, it's bacon roll so yer no getting one! 

I do realise that a sausage roll is 1st and foremost a sausage wrapped in pastry, which is why I say "can I have a link sausage roll". 

Roll and sausage just seems to roll off the tongue easier. If you'll pardon the pun.

24 minutes ago, Locky said:

Roll and sausage just seems to roll off the tongue easier. If you'll pardon the pun.

It’s a west coast thing. It was always just a sausage roll to me. 
And also when did a mince pie become a scotch pie? 
And the answer is brown for a pie. 

15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That's a good point. I ways ask for a mince pie, and always got a mince pie.

Sooperstar

Anyone who says roll and sausage or even worse roll ON sausage is a weegie. And I have never heard anyone in Greggs ask for clarity on whether or not a pastry sausage roll is your desired product. The pastry version should clearly be the default if ordering in Greggs and if you want the bread version then you should specify that.

37 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Always mince pie for me. I remember asking at Tynie a while back for a steak pie and a mince pie, and the boy just looked at me and said 'we don't have mince, only scotch'. I just stared at him til he figured out what I asked for.

18 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Anyone who says roll and sausage or even worse roll ON sausage is a weegie. And I have never heard anyone in Greggs ask for clarity on whether or not a pastry sausage roll is your desired product. The pastry version should clearly be the default if ordering in Greggs and if you want the bread version then you should specify that.

Anyone who asks for a sausage roll instead of a roll'n'sausage is a weirdo. End of. The Greggs folk probably think they have a head injury as their eyes are usually off centre.