Spotify Problems.

benny

Anybody getting problems with Spotify.

I play an album or playlist and for some reason it just cuts off mid song after a couple of tracks.

Annoying as.

Any ideas bar the uninstall and install method.

Is it Spotify, or your internet? 

My Internet at home has been an intermittent mess, and it's probably due to the sheer amount of people who are heavily online 24/7 these days. 

Spotify playback, unless the songs have been downloaded for offline use, has been a complete pain here too. 

1 hour ago, benny said:

Anybody getting problems with Spotify.

I play an album or playlist and for some reason it just cuts off mid song after a couple of tracks.

Annoying as.

Any ideas bar the uninstall and install method.

Benny - please reach out to Spotify Community,  we're pretty fast at responding.  Some trouble shooting based on the limited info in your post:

1. If it's the desktop app, reload it. There's a small discreet icon which asks you to do this and it often gets missed, meaning you've missed a lot of our updates. If you can't see it, just delete and reboot from scratch. 

2. If it's on the phone, again make sure the new software is on and the app is upto date and you are still premium (maybe credit card expired, sometimes happens). 

Hit me on PM if you need to escalate and I'll get it done. 

Deodato 

3 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Is it Spotify, or your internet? 

My Internet at home has been an intermittent mess, and it's probably due to the sheer amount of people who are heavily online 24/7 these days. 

Spotify playback, unless the songs have been downloaded for offline use, has been a complete pain here too. 

Possible, but I doubt this would be affected. SVOD (Netflix, YouTube) is draining the network, but GCP should (in theory) keep the big green streaming machine working fine. I'll check for you.

Agree though, cache offline solves everything - including data costs. 

8 hours ago, Deodato said:

Benny - please reach out to Spotify Community,  we're pretty fast at responding.  Some trouble shooting based on the limited info in your post:

1. If it's the desktop app, reload it. There's a small discreet icon which asks you to do this and it often gets missed, meaning you've missed a lot of our updates. If you can't see it, just delete and reboot from scratch. 

2. If it's on the phone, again make sure the new software is on and the app is upto date and you are still premium (maybe credit card expired, sometimes happens). 

Hit me on PM if you need to escalate and I'll get it done. 

Deodato 

Cheers mate.

First day in a week I have had no problems.Got an update last night.

Android phone it was happening with downloaded music.

davemclaren
8 hours ago, Deodato said:

Possible, but I doubt this would be affected. SVOD (Netflix, YouTube) is draining the network, but GCP should (in theory) keep the big green streaming machine working fine. I'll check for you.

Agree though, cache offline solves everything - including data costs. 

Is there a limit as to how much you can cache offline, apart from device storage space?

hmfc_liam06

Not related but I've not long moved over to Spotify and it annoys me that you can't just view all songs by an artist.

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Is there a limit as to how much you can cache offline, apart from device storage space?

There is a notional limit of 10,000 songs - at which point you need to free up more space elsewhere. 

That was a huge hike on the previous cap of 3,000 songs circa 2014.

Only 1% of users reach this cap so I don't see it needing to go further. 

Hope that helps Dave. 

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Not related but I've not long moved over to Spotify and it annoys me that you can't just view all songs by an artist.

You are not alone, this is a well-known issue. On your library, you now have playlists / artists / albums which logs all you have followed in alphabetical order, but it doesn't have 'saved' or 'downloaded'. 

I believe the desktop allows you to view artists top ten tracks.

hmfc_liam06
26 minutes ago, Deodato said:

You are not alone, this is a well-known issue. On your library, you now have playlists / artists / albums which logs all you have followed in alphabetical order, but it doesn't have 'saved' or 'downloaded'. 

It's so frustrating. Sometimes I just want to stick on an artist's back catalogue on shuffle.

It does a lot of things so much better than Apple Music but this definitely isn't one of them.

davemclaren
37 minutes ago, Deodato said:

There is a notional limit of 10,000 songs - at which point you need to free up more space elsewhere. 

That was a huge hike on the previous cap of 3,000 songs circa 2014.

Only 1% of users reach this cap so I don't see it needing to go further. 

Hope that helps Dave. 

I think that will be enough. 😄

thanks

42 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's so frustrating. Sometimes I just want to stick on an artist's back catalogue on shuffle.

It does a lot of things so much better than Apple Music but this definitely isn't one of them.

Shuffle play artist isn't too bad but as you say it's not a true shuffle of their entire back catalogue.

Siphiwe Tshabalala
5 hours ago, Deodato said:

Sorry to hassle you and this off topic, but is there any way of merging playlists together on an Apple device?

If not, no problem at all!

1 hour ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Sorry to hassle you and this off topic, but is there any way of merging playlists together on an Apple device?

If not, no problem at all!

On the desktop client, you can simply grab-all-and-drop. It's not possible on the smartphone. 

Also, worth exploring the collaborative playlist setting - it's the best feature and gets little attention. 

That way you can merge with family and friends in real time - think office playlist, winner!

Siphiwe Tshabalala
1 hour ago, Deodato said:

On the desktop client, you can simply grab-all-and-drop. It's not possible on the smartphone. 

Also, worth exploring the collaborative playlist setting - it's the best feature and gets little attention. 

That way you can merge with family and friends in real time - think office playlist, winner!

Brilliant, much appreciated! :thumbsup: 

I had similar issues a while back that just happened intermittently. Hasn't happened for a while now thankfully but will try @Deodato's advice next time.

I was having an issue earlier this week when casting spotify to a google chromecast audio, music stopping for no apparent reason. I found that if I closed the app on my phone so it wasnt running in the background, the problem didnt happen. 

Never found spotify app particularly stable 

4 minutes ago, jamboj said:

I was having an issue earlier this week when casting spotify to a google chromecast audio, music stopping for no apparent reason. I found that if I closed the app on my phone so it wasnt running in the background, the problem didnt happen. 

Never found spotify app particularly stable 

Are you on android?

I'm the same when using it with Chromecast audio, the stability is dreadful, as you say it just randomly stops or goes out of sync with itself. It seems better when I use IOS though but then I don't like using that device.... conundrum.

16 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Are you on android?

I'm the same when using it with Chromecast audio, the stability is dreadful, as you say it just randomly stops or goes out of sync with itself. It seems better when I use IOS though but then I don't like using that device.... conundrum.

Yeah I'm on android. 

Get issues with it in the car sometimes as well, through android auto. It's just not stable. 

Having said that, it's a proper first world problem. Remember my 15 year old self spending hours ripping my CDs onto the computer so I could play through winamp. Come a long way 

20 minutes ago, jamboj said:

Yeah I'm on android. 

Get issues with it in the car sometimes as well, through android auto. It's just not stable. 

Having said that, it's a proper first world problem. Remember my 15 year old self spending hours ripping my CDs onto the computer so I could play through winamp. Come a long way 

Yeh absolutely, in the main Spotify is brilliant, I just wish some of the more basic elements where more reliable/given more focus. I'd like to shuffle all of an artist's back catalogue and stable Chromecast Audio functionality...I'm less interested in daily mix and all the gubbins that litters the home page.

I've been using it for years and years now so would be very hesitant to switch provider but I have considered a few times recently.

Edit: oh and of course a play all of your library would be good too. I get why it's set up the way it is but it feels very 'here are some things we want you to listen to' at times.

Edited by Taffin

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/05/2020 at 13:50, davemclaren said:

I think that will be enough. 😄

thanks

Dave - some good news, no no, no no no no, there's no limits. Deodato 

Spotify ditches its 10,000-song limit for listener libraries
We'd like to know the history of Spotify's 10,000-song limit on saving tracks to people's libraries. It's been there since the early days, and in recent years more and more people have been bumping up against it – and thus being forced to 'unlike' older tracks in order to continue 'liking' new ones. Nobody seems quite sure why the limit was set at that particular number. Anyway, it doesn't matter any more: yesterday, Spotify abolished the limit, announcing the change on its online support community, where more than 12,500 people had registered their desire to get rid of the restriction. "This makes it possible to save songs, and albums on Spotify to your heart's content," explained the announcement. The caveat: Spotify's offline-listening limits have not been changed: users can still only download 10,000 songs across their allotted five devices for offline listening, and they also still have a limit of 10,000 songs in any one individual playlist.
Music Ally archive: Spotify

davemclaren
59 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Dave - some good news, no no, no no no no, there's no limits. Deodato 

Spotify ditches its 10,000-song limit for listener libraries
We'd like to know the history of Spotify's 10,000-song limit on saving tracks to people's libraries. It's been there since the early days, and in recent years more and more people have been bumping up against it – and thus being forced to 'unlike' older tracks in order to continue 'liking' new ones. Nobody seems quite sure why the limit was set at that particular number. Anyway, it doesn't matter any more: yesterday, Spotify abolished the limit, announcing the change on its online support community, where more than 12,500 people had registered their desire to get rid of the restriction. "This makes it possible to save songs, and albums on Spotify to your heart's content," explained the announcement. The caveat: Spotify's offline-listening limits have not been changed: users can still only download 10,000 songs across their allotted five devices for offline listening, and they also still have a limit of 10,000 songs in any one individual playlist.
Music Ally archive: Spotify

Cheers. 

davemclaren

@Deodato

While I’m thinking Spotify I sometimes find that the app doesn’t control my Sonos equipment very well. I’d rather not use the Sonos App to stream as I find that very clunky. 😎

13 hours ago, davemclaren said:

@Deodato

While I’m thinking Spotify I sometimes find that the app doesn’t control my Sonos equipment very well. I’d rather not use the Sonos App to stream as I find that very clunky. 😎

Google Chromecast Audio was literally the best £30 I've ever spent. A small black cylinder, plugged into my Newmark mixer which goes into the amplifer and speakers. It means;

- You go to devices on Spotify and click Chromecast Audio

- The signal is from the cloud, so you can leave the house and it keeps playing (nice) and if you the phone ges it keeps playing (niiiicceee - see ya later BlueTooth)

- Volume control is on the phone, not the device. 

Thirty quid - and all that amazing hifi you invested in comes back to life. Can someone explain to me why we bother with Sonos again?

Deodato

Unknown user
28 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Google Chromecast Audio was literally the best £30 I've ever spent. A small black cylinder, plugged into my Newmark mixer which goes into the amplifer and speakers. It means;

- You go to devices on Spotify and click Chromecast Audio

- The signal is from the cloud, so you can leave the house and it keeps playing (nice) and if you the phone ges it keeps playing (niiiicceee - see ya later BlueTooth)

- Volume control is on the phone, not the device. 

Thirty quid - and all that amazing hifi you invested in comes back to life. Can someone explain to me why we bother with Sonos again?

Deodato

Chromecast Audio has been discontinued. It's still being supported for now, but I wouldn't buy one knowing it's not current and they could withdraw support at any time.

Unknown user
On 06/05/2020 at 13:48, hmfc_liam06 said:

YouTube Music has the answer 👍

jambogaz1968
7 hours ago, Smithee said:

YouTube Music has the answer 👍

What's the sound quality like?, how much per month?

8 hours ago, Smithee said:

Chromecast Audio has been discontinued. It's still being supported for now, but I wouldn't buy one knowing it's not current and they could withdraw support at any time.

That's disappointing, I hadn't realised that. Like Deodato I think it's a brilliant device. If they pull support I'll just have to do it through my Chromecast ultra via the TV to the speakers but the audio quality directly to the CCA definitely sounds better imo.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, jambogaz1968 said:

What's the sound quality like?, how much per month?

I don't know the stats but I like it a lot. I've got a family plan for 18 quid a month, 6 accounts. Its actually YouTube premium with YouTube music bundled in, you can get a month's free trial here

https://youtube.com/premium

The best thing about youtube music is that it includes the soundtrack from any videos on YouTube marked as music. I had Nirvana's 1991 Calton Studio gig on a couple of nights ago, magic!

Unknown user
26 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's disappointing, I hadn't realised that. Like Deodato I think it's a brilliant device. If they pull support I'll just have to do it through my Chromecast ultra via the TV to the speakers but the audio quality directly to the CCA definitely sounds better imo.

I agree, I like it too 

Edited by Smithee

I've got a bluetooth receiver plugged into my hifi and that works for me, gives me the option of sending music from a variety of devices, so if for example I'm working on my laptop I can send it from my phone or iPad, depending what is free, you can also use it as a transmitter but so far I've never had any reason to do that. 

jambogaz1968
8 hours ago, Smithee said:

I don't know the stats but I like it a lot. I've got a family plan for 18 quid a month, 6 accounts. Its actually YouTube premium with YouTube music bundled in, you can get a month's free trial here

https://youtube.com/premium

The best thing about youtube music is that it includes the soundtrack from any videos on YouTube marked as music. I had Nirvana's 1991 Calton Studio gig on a couple of nights ago, magic!

Cheers