Dave Greenfield Stranglers Keyboard Player Dead

N Lincs Jambo

N Lincs Jambo

Just seen it reported that Dave Greenfield has passed away due to Covid 19. The Stranglers were one of my favourite bands and I saw them as recently as March last year. Had hoped to see them on their farewell tour in the autumn. Gutted at this news. RIP Dave

Victorian

Was sort of expecting one or two high profile musicians of the the 70s onwards to fall victim.   A lot of people from the era are in and around 70 years old now,   as well as likely to have some health complications based on age.

Dave Greenfield was central to The Stranglers sound,   which was pretty unique.    A sad day.

Dawnrazor

Just seen this, sad sad news, The Stranglers were and hve been on of my favourite bands.

RIP my mancheeron😥😥

frankblack

Just saw this on Facebook.  Saw them several times with the current line up.

I'm in shock.

RIP Dave. 😪

That original Stranglers line up always looked like they’d give you the dodgiest night out of your life. Some amazing songs though and a unique sound. 

maroonlegions

Grew up with the punk scene and the Stranglers were part of it. Seen then live many times.  RIP David.

Victorian
Just now, maroonlegions said:

Grew up with the punk scene and the Stranglers were part of it. Seen then live many times.  RIP David.

They were associated with punk but were never really classified as a punk band by the music press.    Mainly due to having pre-dated punk by a couple of years.     They were also associated with the pub-rock genre,   which was kind of counter to the prevailing punk movement.     To all intents they were just as 'punk' as the likes of The Clash.   Their sound had much more energy than the plodding dirge of The Sex Pistols.

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Is it correct he'd had a long time in hospital with serious heart issues? 

I believe so Seymour. He’s yet another death being reported as “having tested positive for Coronavirus”. Report I read stated long term heart issues which is why he was in hospital. Really sad though as he was a member of one of the first bands I got and was old enough to see. Just leaves JJ and Jet now of the original lineup.

SwindonJambo

I was lucky enough to see them live in Gloucester in 1990, a few months before original vocalist Hugh Cornwell left. They weren’t the same band afterwards and the hits dried up, though they did still have Dave Greenfield’s excellent keyboard skills to call on.  I believe Hugh and JJ fell out big style and haven’t spoken since!

Golden Brown was ,characterised by DG’s keyboards and a song quite unlike anything before it and the rest of the band apparently weren’t  keen on releasing it as a single. It went on to be their biggest hit.

I’m told Their gigs in their heyday were somewhat lively 😉

RIP Dave Greenfield.

Obviously been listening to and watching a lot of Stranglers in the last day and then this oddity popped up on YouTube. The Stranglers and Simple Minds doing one of my favourite Stranglers songs. Went in not expecting much but turns out it’s a fantastic rammy. 

Shanks said no

RIP Dave

only really JJ left as Jet doesn’t play live.

i have seen them about 15 times spanning the last 40 years and took my boy to see them about 10 years ago and he was hooked.

remember during the  la folie tour they played the playhouse and then the Apollo, a bus load of us went through to the weege. What the weegies didn’t know was that the weird instrumental of la folie would morph into bring on the nubiles. We were going mental and the Weegies were WTF until the tune started to change.

i last saw them in the Picturehouse when Jet was too old to play the whole gig and had to be helped to/from his drumkit. Decided that would be the last. 

memories

PsychocAndy

When I saw this yesterday I was gutted. Play only Stranglers stuff until this morning before going to bed. I was at the Picturehouse gig too. Great gig

R.I,P Dave

N Lincs Jambo
19 hours ago, Tazio said:

Obviously been listening to and watching a lot of Stranglers in the last day and then this oddity popped up on YouTube. The Stranglers and Simple Minds doing one of my favourite Stranglers songs. Went in not expecting much but turns out it’s a fantastic rammy. 

Never seen that before Tazio. Really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing 👍