"British" Airways in trouble

graygo

SwindonJambo
11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Market forces will win, they always do. How, I don't know, but they will. There's money to be made. 

Market forces are very strong for sure and not always for the best. The same market forces are expedting the search for a vaccine with dozens of teams working on it all over the planet. The big danger there is that one without enough testing and there is horrendous side effects. Hopefully not.

I can personally live with international travel being on hold for a year or 2 until this is sorted properly. But others not and pressure there will be.

2 hours ago, stirlo said:

They do for the big flag-carriers and so business class fares effectively subsidise economy seats for them. But for the lower-cost carriers and holiday/charter companies they don't really do business class.

No question, the airline industry will need to adapt a great deal to come out the other end of this crisis - but I don't think total air travel will decline quite as much as some people expect in the medium to long term. 

Yup, my job (either fortunately or unfortunately - take your pick) requires a lot of international travel because there is only so much engineering/construction you can do remotely. Eventually you need to put boots on the ground. Although my company is in no rush to get things back to normal, as soon as the go-ahead is given that it is safe, a lot of people will be getting on planes very quickly. I have genuinely urgent trips to both Pakistan and Argentina which are business essential to complete. 

Jambo-Jimbo
8 hours ago, trotter said:

Yup, my job (either fortunately or unfortunately - take your pick) requires a lot of international travel because there is only so much engineering/construction you can do remotely. Eventually you need to put boots on the ground. Although my company is in no rush to get things back to normal, as soon as the go-ahead is given that it is safe, a lot of people will be getting on planes very quickly. I have genuinely urgent trips to both Pakistan and Argentina which are business essential to complete. 

Pretty sure Argentina have banned all international flights until September or October, of course they could reverse that decision.

PortyJambo
18 hours ago, weegranty said:

Received an email from British Airways today to inform me that my flight has been cancelled from London to Las Vegas on June 30th,my connecting flight from Edinburgh to London has not though. I will be phoning them to ask for a refund though,don't want a voucher.

Good luck with that. My flight to Seville, via London, last month was cancelled. Tried a few times to phone them for a refund, and can't get through "we're too busy to take your call at this moment", then they disconnect the call.

Ehllhayapeh
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Pretty sure Argentina have banned all international flights until September or October, of course they could reverse that decision.

Yes. They have.Argentina is closed until September to all flights.

I genuinely dont think business travel will be the same after this. Ive been remotely working on projects in Ecuador Peru and Colombia (system implementations) which ordinarily would involve a pre implemention visit and phase one of implementation on site 

That is now all being done remotely. Bar building relationships with colleagues, it was been harder but workable to do it remotely.

I can see my company many others coming to the conclusion future visits are not essential as we survived without it in covid lockdown..and as a result a significant reduction in travel takes place.

I also see us home working part of the week to do so privately outside the office for the forseeable future.

I think alot will change to working patrerns when this is done.

Hope Im wrong as I always take side trips and fancy visiting Galapogas Island when i eventually get to Ecuador.

Jambo-Jimbo

Virgin Atlantic cutting around 3000 jobs & United Airlines in the US cutting about 3500 management jobs.

They'll be a lot more bleak news for the airline industry before this is all over.

Edit: Source Sky News.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Jambo-Jimbo

In a further blow to BA, Qatar Airways who own 25% of IAG has warned of substantial job losses as it struggles with the fall in demand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52555046

Emirates & Etihad have both put most/all of their staff on half wages, so if the cash rich Gulf states are feeling the pinch then you know things must be bad.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Ehllhayapeh
5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

In a further blow to BA, Qatar Airways who own 25% of IAG has warned of substantial job losses as it struggles with the fall in demand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52555046

Emirates & Etihad have both put most/all of their staff on half wages, so if the cash rich Gulf states are feeling the pinch then you know things must be bad.

If the cash rich oil states are feeling the pinch its because they are protecting their wealth.

They are very much inclined to protect their 0s in the bank over anything else. I dont think of itself its an indication of the mess the world be in post covid.

That will come when people come out of furlough all over the place most likely to find that they have no job once the employer pays the bill.

weegranty
On 05/05/2020 at 12:26, PortyJambo said:

Good luck with that. My flight to Seville, via London, last month was cancelled. Tried a few times to phone them for a refund, and can't get through "we're too busy to take your call at this moment", then they disconnect the call.

Got through today within 30 seconds,will get a full refund in between 7 - 10 days.

PortyJambo
2 hours ago, weegranty said:

Got through today within 30 seconds,will get a full refund in between 7 - 10 days.

What number did you call, if you don't mind me asking? I've not tried for a few days, but haven't been able to get through any of the half dozen times I've called.

weegranty
Just now, PortyJambo said:

What number did you call, if you don't mind me asking? I've not tried for a few days, but haven't been able to get through any of the half dozen times I've called.

0800 727 800