Footwear for walking/hiking

Dia Liom

Never really looked into decent gear for walking/hiking.  I've always been happy buying cheap boots that fall after a while.  Most recently I bought Tresspass own make shoes and boots, both decent enough to use but the soles of the boots recently came apart, and I'd like something better quality all round.

Looking to get a pair of shoes and a pair of boots. Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Google is fine but there's been great reccomendations on here in the past for jackets, shoes, etc.

Auld Reekin'

At the budget end of the market, Karrimor has a reputation that's a bit ropey, but some of their stuff is fine - they are a bit hit-and-miss though. Avoid anything from Mountain Warehouse, however.

Going up from that, it really depends on what you're willing to spend. I'm not really up on the more high-end brands, but in general look for boots and shoes with Vibram* soles and a decent waterproof lining. If buying leather boots, the fewer seams they have on them the better, as that means fewer points of weakness where leaks might occur.

I'd say a total budget of £250-300 should get you half-decent pairs of walking shoes and boots, but you could no-doubt spend a lot more than that if you wanted to.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

1 hour ago, Dia Liom said:

Never really looked into decent gear for walking/hiking.  I've always been happy buying cheap boots that fall after a while.  Most recently I bought Tresspass own make shoes and boots, both decent enough to use but the soles of the boots recently came apart, and I'd like something better quality all round.

Looking to get a pair of shoes and a pair of boots. Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Google is fine but there's been great reccomendations on here in the past for jackets, shoes, etc.

Just my tuppenceworth, but when I started hillwalking I got sturdy boots because that's what everybody does, but after meeting folk who wore lightweight shoes I started to question if boots were necessary. The upshot is I now use Inov-8 Mudclaw 300s(about £80), and wouldn't go back to boots if you paid me. The only exception is the depths of  winter, when I reluctantly lace up the boots again.

Someone else's opinion,

https://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots?format=amp

Thanks for that!  In terms of budget, the suggestions are all in line with what I'd spend.  @fancy a brew that's a good shout actually, may just get quality shoes and another pair of cheapish boots.  Think the boots were only essential for a few snowy hill climbs at the start of last year.

I wear boots every day of the week and have done for 35 years, my favourite ones just now are Altberg Gamekeeper/Gunnerside boots, they are sympatex lined and have a kevlar outer coating, very light very water proof and if I can't wreck a pair no one can!! I've three pairs I wear in rotation, they're made in Richmond Yorkshire, they do various width to fit most feet.

I've had Meindl over the years but they've dropped in quality over a few years.

Hanwag Trapper or Alaska are very good.

Lundhags are very light, robust and waterproof IF you look after them, I've a pair of the Scouts, no lining and work on a "shell" principle, well worth a look but not cheap.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Just make sure they have Vibram soles. 

Depends on what kind of walking you are doing? If it's just for doing short low level  walks, you'll probably get away with walking shoes, especially in the summer. If it's for longer distances, then fabric/leather boots are probably best. 

Usually I'd suggest popping into Tiso on Rose St as their people know what they're talking about and they have a nifty wee testing floor that simulated rocky terrain.

Can't beat it for helping pick out the boots that feel right to you.

Nae joy these days though.

39 minutes ago, Cade said:

Usually I'd suggest popping into Tiso on Rose St as their people know what they're talking about and they have a nifty wee testing floor that simulated rocky terrain.

Can't beat it for helping pick out the boots that feel right to you.

Nae joy these days though.

In an ideal world this is the best option. You are best to try on different makes and styles of boots and see which fit your feet best. Salomon footwear work for me and I would definitely thow their X ultra shoes and boots into the mix. Their quicklace system is brilliant.

I've got Anatom Q2s. Had them about 8 years, they've been absolutely fantastic.

That said, 9/10 I just wear Nike Pegasus unless it's going to be particularly wet.

Stay away from those “classic” brown leather numbers with the hard as hell soles. Last for years but you will be crippled and they weigh about 60 Kilos (or they feel like they do).

As with most things, cost is a decent indicator of quality (though not always). Anything over/around £150 with a Goretex liner and Vibram soles are generally good. 

You can spend £600 for boots but that’s usually very stiff Winter climbing boots you use with crampons so it depends on what you are using them for. 

If its just general hill walking or munro’s theres plenty of choice without throwing hundreds of pounds at it. 

Salomon

Miendel

Scarpa

Mammot

Berghaus

North Ridge

Theres loads to chose from.

Support your ankles, have decent levels of grip, make sure they’re comfortable and keep your feed dry and always try them on with a decent pair of walking socks.

If they dont quite fit, then dont buy them. They need to fit perfectly or you will find out about it when your 5 miles away from the car in the middle of nowhere!

Ive done over 80 munro’s and had several pairs of boots over the years. Some better than others but its down to personal choice and how you will live with them.

Edited by Pans Jambo

I know they are a bit oldschool, and were a bit chavvy back in the day, but I've had a pair of Timberland Euro Hikers for almost 20 years now, all i've had to do was change the laces. Genuinely cracking boots at a relatively cheap price. There are new versions a bit more costly but they have improvements such as fully sealed tongue to stop your feet getting wet if you walk through a deep-ish river. 

Unknown user
17 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

At the budget end of the market, Karrimor has a reputation that's a bit ropey, but some of their stuff is fine - they are a bit hit-and-miss though. Avoid anything from Mountain Warehouse, however.

Going up from that, it really depends on what you're willing to spend. I'm not really up on the more high-end brands, but in general look for boots and shoes with Vibram* soles and a decent waterproof lining. If buying leather boots, the fewer seams they have on them the better, as that means fewer points of weakness where leaks might occur.

I'd say a total budget of £250-300 should get you half-decent pairs of walking shoes and boots, but you could no-doubt spend a lot more than that if you wanted to.

As you say, you can spend as much as you want really but it does depend on what you're doing. I walk 40-60 miles a week with my job, but it's all indoors on flat surfaces so a pair of 40 quid Karrimor with Scholl insoles are a great budget solution - there isn't really much point in spending more IMO. If you bring wet weather and rough terrain into the equation that changes of course, but if it's just walking on nice days you don't need much.

I got a £40 pair from Trespass and they are the comfiest things ever....done plenty of walking in them

they are around 8-9 years old now though and need replaced....but have been brilliant - only needed to replace one set of laces in that time

10 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

^ I picked up a pair of Goretex Nike Pegasus for half price in the sale.

Great choice. 

There's definitely a time and a place for proper boots but I find I don't need them most of the time and prefer to be lightly packed and nimble with trainers. It's horses for courses but certainly for me the course rarely really needs more than trainers.

Another recommendation for Tiso.

I got a pair of North Face  hiking shoes from them.

Probably the comfiest things I've ever had on my feet.

highlandjambo3

You should consider zamberlan “new trail light gtx”.

I bought a pair of these about 15 years ago (yes 15).......extremely waterproof and very comfortable.  

If you look at the design there is no stitching at all along the front and sides of the boot, there is just one sheet of leather (including the tongue) with the only stitching up around the back of the ankle, this makes them extremely waterproof as most water ingress comes through the stitching......of course regular treatment with a good quality water repellent helps.  Vibram soles as well.

Edited by highlandjambo3

Amazing - the suggestions are much appreciated! Lots to look into. Will get some ordered and report back next year 😁

For those wondering, it's for general hillwalking, hiking, nothing extreme.  Hebridean moor and hills mainly, which can be extemely dreich and windy, mind you.

2 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Amazing - the suggestions are much appreciated! Lots to look into. Will get some ordered and report back next year 😁

For those wondering, it's for general hillwalking, hiking, nothing extreme.  Hebridean moor and hills mainly, which can be extemely dreich and windy, mind you.

one other thing to make sure if you dont already have them a good set of gaiters are great. They not only keep your lower legs dry in damp/wet grass/shallow water but they help protect from tics.

I follow a few hikers on YouTube, most of them give huge ratings to Altra trail shoes, mostly the Lone Peak 3.5 or 4.0

Not sure if they are available in the UK, most of the vloggers are experienced hikers from the US. Worth checking ebay and Amazon.

23 hours ago, milky_26 said:

one other thing to make sure if you dont already have them a good set of gaiters are great. They not only keep your lower legs dry in damp/wet grass/shallow water but they help protect from tics.

17 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

As an aside, for those who work or take recreation in Ticky areas.

https://www.rovince.co.uk/

Usually it's just tucking socks into socks, but this looks like a good option for longer distances.  Haven't had a tick for a couple or years now but definitely doing more walking - must be a bit of luck involved.  It tends to be heather rather than long grass that I'm in.  Horrible things once they've grown fat on my blood.

My advice, for what it's, worth, is buy the best you can afford. I've found u get what you pay for with walking boots/shoes. 

My last pair "died" 3 years ago. Sole came away after 14 years. Bought in 2003 for £120.00. Less than a tenner a year. 

They were berghaus storm gtx fabric. First trip was schaehallion (sp) didn't even need broken in. Never had one blister from them. Although I double sock to prevent that aswell. 

These boots done several munroe, multiple pent lands, different weather's, then laterly many many dog walks... 

Make doesn't really matter, it's what u find comfy but generally £100 - £150 and you're set for the next few, years. 

Unknown user
29 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

My advice, for what it's, worth, is buy the best you can afford. I've found u get what you pay for with walking boots/shoes. 

My last pair "died" 3 years ago. Sole came away after 14 years. Bought in 2003 for £120.00. Less than a tenner a year. 

They were berghaus storm gtx fabric. First trip was schaehallion (sp) didn't even need broken in. Never had one blister from them. Although I double sock to prevent that aswell. 

These boots done several munroe, multiple pent lands, different weather's, then laterly many many dog walks... 

Make doesn't really matter, it's what u find comfy but generally £100 - £150 and you're set for the next few, years. 

TBH you deserve everything you get it you don't double sock

2 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

Usually it's just tucking socks into socks, but this looks like a good option for longer distances.  Haven't had a tick for a couple or years now but definitely doing more walking - must be a bit of luck involved.  It tends to be heather rather than long grass that I'm in.  Horrible things once they've grown fat on my blood.

They live everywhere, grass, heather, rushes, I live in the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire, it's heaving with them down here, I had a reaction to a tick bite last year, had to go on a couse of antibiotics, a hazard of the job I'm afraid. 

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

TBH you deserve everything you get it you don't double sock

Depends on your feet, the boots, and the fit of the boots. I never "double-sock" and rarely if ever get blisters; my girlfriend, in contrast, gets blisters and rubbing from almost every pair of shoes or boots that she's ever used and she usually does wear two pairs of socks (and she only does a small fraction of the amount of walking I do, and have done over the years!). Depends, like I say...

Auld Reekin'
2 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

I'd probably still be using my original pair of walking boots (Loveson, Italian-made, leather uppers, vibram sole - no waterproof lining, but never leaked) to this day if some total feckwit of a cobbler hadn't put an awl (or whatever) through the leather when attempting to replace the vibram sole. Erse...

Unknown user
33 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Depends on your feet, the boots, and the fit of the boots. I never "double-sock" and rarely if ever get blisters; my girlfriend, in contrast, gets blisters and rubbing from almost every pair of shoes or boots that she's ever used and she usually does wear two pairs of socks (and she only does a small fraction of the amount of walking I do, and have done over the years!). Depends, like I say...

Maybe I should have said if you're a tight arse like me who refuses to pay over 50 quid for anything you can't smoke, you deserve everything you get it you don't double sock :)

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Maybe I should have said if you're a tight arse like me who refuses to pay over 50 quid for anything you can't smoke, you deserve everything you get it you don't double sock :)

:thumbsup:

(Just out of sheer nosiness, what area of work is it that has you walking the distances you said you do indoors every week? No probs if you'd rather not say though - just intrigued... Posties must do a fair old schlep in their line of duty, but that'll be almost all outdoors.)

• 1 month later...

I was searching for some new walking shoes about a month ago. The last few days I’ve been looking again and all the prices have gone up since I last looked. Got a pair of Merrell that will get delivered tomorrow and should hopefully be ok. 

Ended up getting Scarpa mid height hiking boots, and a pair of pegasus, all thanks to suggestions in the thread.  

Scarpa were seriously comfy from.the first try on and seem ideal for moor, coast and hill walks.  Wore them once a week or two back when I didn't realise how warm it was and can testify that, in case anybody though otherwise, they are best suited to normal Scottish weather!  Not uncomfortable but just too warm for the weather.

The pegassus are grand, have worn them walking - in the heat, and not too rough terrain.  They are also my jogging shoe of choice, good for peat roads and other semi rough trails.

Edited by Dia Liom