Wildlife getting braver

Greedy Jambo

willie wallace

The snails and slugs that have taken over my garden are certainly getting braver.

They are doing my head in.😭

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Morgan

• Greedy Jambo

• highlandjambo3

7 hours ago, willie wallace said:

The snails and slugs that have taken over my garden are certainly getting braver.

They are doing my head in.😭

Aw that's nice. The snails offering the slugs a house for the night. A good positive story during lockdown.

That cheered me up. :)

willie wallace
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Aw that's nice. The snails offering the slugs a house for the night. A good positive story during lockdown.

I am glad that it has made someone happy.

I feel a little bit better now.😬

55 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

I am glad that it has made someone happy.

I feel a little bit better now.😬

👍 :)

highlandjambo3
10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I had a pet snail a while back and, in an attempt to streamline him to make him go faster, I removed his shell..................it backfired.......he’s more sluggish now..........I’ll get my coat.

Some wildlife may be getting braver but trout are a shy as ever🤬🤬🤬🤬

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Some wildlife may be getting braver but trout are a shy as ever🤬🤬🤬🤬

Never tried it myself, and it's probably against the rules & regulations (no bait fishing) concerning whatever water you're fishing, but my dad swore that all you had to do to get the trout fighting each other to get on the hook was to stick a Devil's Coach Horse beetle on it first*:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRp0nIwRU8llYlWkYeIQp8

(*I suspect it wasn't quite as simple as he said and that such things as caution, concealment, technique, and the ability to actually cast a line also played a part...   :ermm:   Might be worth a try though if they're really playing hard-to-get and you've nothing in for your tea though.   :thumbsup:  )

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Never tried it myself, and it's probably against the rules & regulations (no bait fishing) concerning whatever water you're fishing, but my dad swore that all you had to do to get the trout fighting each other to get on the hook was to stick a Devil's Coach Horse beetle on it first*:

(*I suspect it wasn't quite as simple as he said and that such things as caution, concealment, technique, and the ability to actually cast a line also played a part...   :ermm:   Might be worth a try though if they're really playing hard-to-get and you've nothing in for your tea though.   :thumbsup:  )

😁👍 I was nearly at the point of lifting some stones to look for worms today🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

😁👍 I was nearly at the point of lifting some stones to look for worms today🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Should have gone to Glasgow..plenty of worms at the SPFL headquarters and other places nearby

17 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

The first time I saw one of those 'things' I thought it was some kind of scorpion, the way it squared up to me with it's tail raised. They apparently excrete a foul smelling substance from their rear ends when threatened (like I almost did when I saw one), so maybe that's what attracts the fish?

Auld Reekin'
7 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

The first time I saw one of those 'things' I thought it was some kind of scorpion, the way it squared up to me with it's tail raised. They apparently excrete a foul smelling substance from their rear ends when threatened (like I almost did when I saw one), so maybe that's what attracts the fish?

Yep, they put on a good show of being fierce and aggressive. Trout must find them really tasty, though, given how irresistible they find them (according to my dad, anyway - he wasn't averse to a wind-up, but don't think this was one as he was always pretty serious about his fishing).

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

You should've seen the state of me when I first seen a Giant Wood Wasp. :runaway:

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You should've seen the state of me when I first seen a Giant Wood Wasp. :runaway:

I'll take your word for it. That's something I'd rather not see, the ordinary ones are bad enough. 😨

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

In Brunei on a jungle course years ago a group of us were wading through the jungle armed to the teeth and feeling pretty hard............that was until we disturbed a nest of red hornets, they are pretty aggressive and territorial, all hell broke loose...............imagine a kid with shit on a stick chasing a group of other kids 😂😂😂 .  Grown men screaming running in all directions.....not funny at the time but pissing with laughter later.

Edited by highlandjambo3

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Years ago I delivered a load of fresh cut logs to Glasgow in a 7.5t truck. Bunch of big rough looking boys had been booked to empty it for me, much hilarity for me when a wood wasp flew out the truck watching them turn into a bunch of primary school kids as they ran around screaming to get away from it. 
I didn’t tell them I’d done the exact same thing a couple of days before when I saw one when I was collecting the logs from the forestry commission.  

45 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Went to a fancy dress as a snail and had my wife on my back. She was Michelle...

Ma belle?

Tres bien ensemble.

23 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

A bit of sweetcorn, for some reason trout love it.

Vlad Magic

My house and garden have suddenly become him to a large collection of Starlings.

Never had them before but they are here and in big numbers!