• ri Alban

• Morgan

• Greedy Jambo

• Dawnrazor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
On 29/04/2020 at 19:25, Victorian said:

Mortonhall Golf Club have got deer living on the course.    Groups of deer have been known to live on Edinburgh courses for years but also mysteriously move on to new grounds.    

Aye, quite a few of them on the Merchants and in the old City Hospital woods up behind my house.

Nicked from my mates facebook. 

Roe deer on Morningside Road the other day.

FB_IMG_1589461943063.jpg

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Aye, quite a few of them on the Merchants and in the old City Hospital woods up behind my house.

FB_IMG_1589461943063.jpg

They can shift anaw.   I've seen them on courses and they're rapid things when full grown.    That one looks young.

21 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They can shift anaw.   I've seen them on courses and they're rapid things when full grown.    That one looks young.

I know it's stating the obvious but these things can leap as well. We have plenty next to us and I saw a dog chasing one a wee while back. The dog was doing quite well, keeping up with it, until they came to a fence covered in bushes. The deer cleared the fence with acres to spare - it was an amazing sight to see it soaring through the air.

39 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'd say about 4 year old judging by the altler growth, can't see the width of the coronets.

They taste bloody lovey too👍👍

Jingle Bells
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'd say about 4 year old judging by the altler growth, can't see the width of the coronets.

They taste bloody lovey too👍👍

Saw two up at Harlaw Reservoir the other day.

Something not seen since the Pentlands became a Regional Park.

10 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Saw two up at Harlaw Reservoir the other day.

Something not seen since the Pentlands became a Regional Park.

There will be loads, but with the normal amount of people on and around the Pentlands, they'll be out on the very edge of dark, through the night and will lie up in cover soon after sunrise.

Toxteth O'Grady

I looked over the bridge at Saughton Park this morning and there was an otter looking up at me.

Seen a few rats about the place.

They've all moved out of the city centre now that there's no restaurants, takeaways and hotels dumping food in large amounts.

Not wee things either.

Jingle Bells
3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

There will be loads, but with the normal amount of people on and around the Pentlands, they'll be out on the very edge of dark, through the night and will lie up in cover soon after sunrise.

True, I can see them from the bedroom windows, in the fields opposite,  at dusk most evenings during normal times.

They are getting bolder now  though ,with fewer people about especially up at Threipmuir and Harlaw.

Jingle Bells
3 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I looked over the bridge at Saughton Park this morning and there was an otter looking up at me.

Apparently, that's the best spot on the Water of Leith to see them.

I read that they need 21 miles of river to feed, so sightings are pretty rare.

8 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

FB_IMG_1589461943063.jpg

That’s made me sad, Gov.

Glad but sad that you posted that wee pic.  :sob:

J.T.F.Robertson
9 hours ago, Victorian said:

They can shift anaw.   I've seen them on courses and they're rapid things when full grown.    That one looks young.

Not something that's been directed at me for a week or two.

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

That’s made me sad, Gov.

Just heading home from the stag night at the Cannies

indianajones

Seen a few deer at Polwarth a few years ago so it's not totally down to lockdown that they're about. 

A lot of green corridors they can follow. 

Governor Tarkin
6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:sadrobbo:

Not bad LB.

5 hours ago, indianajones said:

Seen a few deer at Polwarth a few years ago so it's not totally down to lockdown that they're about. 

A lot of green corridors they can follow. 

Aye, they've been around Oxgangs/Firhill/Craiglockhart for as long as anyone can remember. I haven't seen them this frequently for years though. 

We're quite lucky with wildlife up this way. I've been taking the wee man out following the badger tracks in the morning. 

On another note. Nicked this pic from the Evening Snooze. Ducks going for a stroll down George Street on the 13th.

20200515_074303.jpg

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

On another note. Nicked this pic from the Evening Snooze. Ducks going for a stroll down George Street on the 13th.

20200515_074303.jpg

Those ducklings walked down to Stockbridge and ended up in the Water of Leith.

On 17/04/2020 at 18:33, Space Pirate said:

I've seen pictures of wildcats in people's gardens, deer just hanging about the streets etc

Well now I've just seen something myself and I've no idea what it was. 

It looked like a squirrel but slightly fatter and no tail. It was brown, not the red colour a squirrel would be and not grey. 

Any ideas?

...Derek Riordan?

13 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Very good.  :clap: 

7 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Not bad LB.

Aye, they've been around Oxgangs/Firhill/Craiglockhart for as long as anyone can remember. I haven't seen them this frequently for years though. 

We're quite lucky with wildlife up this way. I've been taking the wee man out following the badger tracks in the morning. 

20200515_074303.jpg

Wish I’d thought of that.  :sadrobbo:

Toxteth O'Grady
On 14/05/2020 at 20:30, Jingle Bells said:

Apparently, that's the best spot on the Water of Leith to see them.

I read that they need 21 miles of river to feed, so sightings are pretty rare.

I my dog round that way most mornings and have been seeing  them about a couple of times a month.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a female and 2 smaller ones playing at the top of the waterfall at Fords Road. 

Seymour M Hersh
On 14/05/2020 at 22:40, Morgan said:

That’s made me sad, Gov.

Keep off the red plonk ffs! :laugh:

On 15/05/2020 at 02:16, luckyBatistuta said:

Is it no’ a bit deer in there?

A pint is a coupla bucks more than the Hermi.

On 15/05/2020 at 08:49, Governor Tarkin said:

Not bad LB.

20200515_074303.jpg

I’ll be expecting some praise from you for my latest addition (above).

:biggrin: 

On 15/05/2020 at 07:49, Governor Tarkin said:

Not bad LB.

20200515_074303.jpg

:oohmatron:

Dagger Is Back

Couple of years back in Baberton driving my daughter back from dancing and two deer leapt out from nowhere and continued to walk down the road

Bloody huge they were too 

Governor Tarkin
53 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Couple of years back in Baberton driving my daughter back from dancing and two deer leapt out from nowhere and continued to walk down the road

Stevie and Brian. Good lads.

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

Is it no’ a bit deer in there?

A pint is a coupla bucks more than the Hermi.

I’ll be expecting some praise from you for my latest addition (above).

:biggrin: 

:facepalm:

:lol:

Jingle Bells
21 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I my dog round that way most mornings and have been seeing  them about a couple of times a month.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a female and 2 smaller ones playing at the top of the waterfall at Fords Road. 

Magical

It took me about a decade to spot one until a friend told me ,that's the place to go.

Like watching the goosanders down your way as well.

There's an otter up at Bavelaw Marsh but it keeps it's head down, so haven't seen it yet.

That gets restocked each year with trout for the Fishermen, so doesn't need to travel to far for a meal.

Not to sure they are so happy about that, along with the number of overweight Cormorants up there now.

Toxteth O'Grady
4 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Magical

It took me about a decade to spot one until a friend told me ,that's the place to go.

Like watching the goosanders down your way as well.

There's an otter up at Bavelaw Marsh but it keeps it's head down, so haven't seen it yet.

That gets restocked each year with trout for the Fishermen, so doesn't need to travel to far for a meal.

Not to sure they are so happy about that, along with the number of overweight Cormorants up there now.

I saw one this morning again - If you are on Facebook check out Friends of Saughton Park.

Bavelaw marsh is a great place - I've seen Owls up there too. 

A you say the fishermen wont be happy about the Cormorants on the "Top Ponds"

Jingle Bells
11 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I saw one this morning again - If you are on Facebook check out Friends of Saughton Park.

Bavelaw marsh is a great place - I've seen Owls up there too. 

A you say the fishermen wont be happy about the Cormorants on the "Top Ponds"

Thanks Tox,

Think that the fish must get trapped there due to the weir.

I'm under a bit of pressure to join them at the moment, from one of their leading lights, but am to busy with a Community Garden Development project elsewhere ,for the time being.

What they have done with Saughton Park is brilliant. Nice to see the old bandstand ,of my youth, back up as well.

Bavelaw Marsh is great for Bats as well in the evening and the Red Moss area is well worth a read about.

Right off to work.

3fingersreid
13 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

There was always a small group of them on Kingsknowe GC , bloody big beautiful animals they are .

Dagger Is Back
6 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

There was always a small group of them on Kingsknowe GC , bloody big beautiful animals they are .

They are indeed. Imagine having that on your doorstep. 

7 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

Thanks Tox,

I'm under a bit of pressure to join them at the moment, from one of their leading lights, but am to busy with a Community Garden Development project elsewhere ,for the time being.

What they have done with Saughton Park is brilliant. Nice to see the old bandstand ,of my youth, back up as well.

Bavelaw Marsh is great for Bats as well in the evening and the Red Moss area is well worth a read about.

Right off to work.

Don’t mention bats!

:wink: 

8 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

Thanks Tox,

Right off to work.

I've been seeing a lot of bats when I take my dogs for a on the Penicuik  to Dalkeith walkway around dusk. It's fascinating watching them, but more than a bit scary at first when they're flying towards you along he narrow path, but you get used to it.  You see a lot over the water at the bridge by The Laird and Dug at Lasswade too.

24 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Don’t mention bats!

:wink: 

Sorry. ☺️

Jingle Bells
30 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I've been seeing a lot of bats when I take my dogs for a on the Penicuik  to Dalkeith walkway around dusk. It's fascinating watching them, but more than a bit scary at first when they're flying towards you along he narrow path, but you get used to it.  You see a lot over the water at the bridge by The Laird and Dug at Lasswade too.

Sorry. ☺️

Magic wee things, Lemon

They are probably after Mothy for their tea..

28 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Magic wee things, Lemon

They are probably after Mothy for their tea..

Poor Doofy.  :sad: 

Jingle Bells
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Poor Doofy.  :sad: 

Occupational hazard if your a Moth and decide to move to Bat central.

No sympathy from me, Morg, only a matter of time I'm afraid to say.

queensferryjambo
On 01/05/2020 at 14:02, redjambo said:

In support of father jokes everywhere, I'll be your wingman.

What's a duckdo?

Bad-Habit-For-Wolves.jpg

highlandjambo3
19 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Sorry. ☺️

Love the whole bat thing, I think they are amazing creatures.  The early Dracula films gave them a bad rep even now the majority of people are shit scared of them, I must admit to fearing them as a child.  There is no way a bat would fly into you, there directional sonar is amazing..... wish I could encourage the wee fellas into my garden.

6 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Love the whole bat thing, I think they are amazing creatures.  The early Dracula films gave them a bad rep even now the majority of people are shit scared of them, I must admit to fearing them as a child.  There is no way a bat would fly into you, there directional sonar is amazing..... wish I could encourage the wee fellas into my garden.

I listened to a great podcast a few months back about bats with a guy called Merlin Tuttle, it was fascinating.

Sadly despite living quite rurally I've not spotted much when on on my walks. Herd of deer from a distance but not overly uncommon for here. On the plus side it's been too early in the year for the local buzzard to swoop at me repeatedly whilst out running. Gives me the utter fear that.

Jingle Bells

The albino squirrel that resides along the walkway behind the Bainfield Bowling Club to the Eco Flats via the bottom of Hutchie is a cool sighting.

1 hour ago, Jingle Bells said:

The albino squirrel that resides along the walkway behind the Bainfield Bowling Club to the Eco Flats via the bottom of Hutchie is a cool sighting.

Saw one years ago in the Spylaw area.  

Jingle Bells
59 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Saw one years ago in the Spylaw area.  

It's  red eyes are a bit  spooky.

scottishguy

Get to see bats every night, just need to look out the window from couch at dusk, 2 or 3 fly about for 15 mins or so. Too bloody fast to photograph though.

On 17/05/2020 at 12:57, 3fingersreid said:

One spotted at Sainsburys the other day...…….think it was put off by the Q and social distancing so did not hang around

10 hours ago, CJGJ said:

One spotted at Sainsburys the other day...…….think it was put off by the Q and social distancing so did not hang around

Just the one? Somebody told me Sainsburys was two deer.

:mmtaxi:

12 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Dear dear!

12 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

28 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Dear dear!

Honestly, chaps.

What’s a couple of bucks nowadays?

23 hours ago, CJGJ said:

So, B & Q then?