Wildlife getting braver

Greedy Jambo

3fingersreid
On 25/04/2020 at 12:36, luckyBatistuta said:

Should have filmed it for us😞  I hate Magpies and Seagulls, but respect the old crows, really clever birds.

My late mother was brought up on a farm in Wick , she ,till her death , hated crows with a passion , her reason was she couldn’t forget as a bairn being out on the farm finding new born lambs that had their eyes pecked out by crows , usually happened when the ewe was having more than one birth as she couldn’t protect the first born . 
Yes they’re clever but crows , magpies and all that group of birds don’t half knock hell out of the smaller bird population.

As a kid the only magpie I ever seen was on the TV , now they’re everywhere which I suppose is evolution, city herring gulls ,nothing more than flying rats ( people caused that with food litter) and grey squirrels nothing more than rats with bushy tails , coming over here and stealing the Red squirrels jobs ffs 😉

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Morgan

• Greedy Jambo

• Dawnrazor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

highlandjambo3
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I need to save cats most mornings from the local fox. The cries from cats are heartbreaking. 

I have a Norwegian rainforest cat.........he’s a big lad.

BDFAB3B8-FFB3-4F19-9C8A-1E15C7E5FC5E.jpeg

I saw 4 seagulls surrounding a seal yesterday. It’s head kept bobbing up and looked like the he was eyeing up the birds. 

It got me thinking, if there are less fishing boats, and less dead fish to throw back to the sea, will the seals be getting hungry too? 

19 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Mair eating! : 🦊 

:D 

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

My late mother was brought up on a farm in Wick , she ,till her death , hated crows with a passion , her reason was she couldn’t forget as a bairn being out on the farm finding new born lambs that had their eyes pecked out by crows , usually happened when the ewe was having more than one birth as she couldn’t protect the first born . 
Yes they’re clever but crows , magpies and all that group of birds don’t half knock hell out of the smaller bird population.

As a kid the only magpie I ever seen was on the TV , now they’re everywhere which I suppose is evolution, city herring gulls ,nothing more than flying rats ( people caused that with food litter) and grey squirrels nothing more than rats with bushy tails , coming over here and stealing the Red squirrels jobs ffs 😉

:lol: I miss the old red squirrels. I actually tried to save one of those little bushy tailed grey rats. Drove miles with it to a vet. Should have seen the look on their faces when I walked in with it. It had died on my front seat during the journey too:lol: 

scottishguy

Fox out the back every day for the last 5 or 6 weeks.

Woodpecker most days and the buzzard flies over every few days, not normally as close though. 

All in Livingston, 25 bird species regularly coming into the garden.

65640745_10157187360154178_2164581109646491648_o.jpg

91122006_10157958467024178_9173752520202256384_o.jpg

75442969_10157501821549178_8156699084778897408_o.jpg

Greedy Jambo
8 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Let them eat the sheep FFS!

Wolf tourism would pay for it.

Hate sheep!

Mon the wolves!!!

😂

highlandjambo3
33 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Let them eat the sheep FFS!

Wolf tourism would pay for it.

Hate sheep!

Mon the wolves!!!

Am all for wolves coming back.....brilliant for the country.

Toxteth O'Grady

Saw a fox cross Robbs Loan and trot down Eltringham Terrace yesterday at about 9am. It wasn't in any hurry when it saw me and my dog.

highlandjambo3
3 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Saw a fox cross Robbs Loan and trot down Eltringham Terrace yesterday at about 9am. It wasn't in any hurry when it saw me and my dog.

I believe there are far more very close to us than we think, just hiding close by in the bushes, behind your garden shed etc.....we probably see no more than about 5% of the actually urban dwellers population, they will always go back to a food source though so if your feeding one it will stay around......can’t really see that as a good thing tbh even if they do keep the rat population down.

Governor Tarkin

Roe deer cutting about Firrhill/Oxgangs at night.

Not totally unheard of but it's been years since I've seen them twice in a week.

1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

I saw 4 seagulls surrounding a seal yesterday. It’s head kept bobbing up and looked like the he was eyeing up the birds. 

It got me thinking, if there are less fishing boats, and less dead fish to throw back to the sea, will the seals be getting hungry too? 

You're joshing, right? :) Seals normally eat live fish, as well as an assortment of cephalopods etc. They're not dependent on fishing boats for their scran.

Toxteth O'Grady
58 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I believe there are far more very close to us than we think, just hiding close by in the bushes, behind your garden shed etc.....we probably see no more than about 5% of the actually urban dwellers population, they will always go back to a food source though so if your feeding one it will stay around......can’t really see that as a good thing tbh even if they do keep the rat population down.

Yes there are loads around. I see them mostly when I take my dog out early morning or in the dark nights.

I remember reading a paper years ago about their change in behaviour when councils switched from Bin Bags to wheelie bins - they moved in towards the City Centres to find food more easily.

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

You're joshing, right? :) Seals normally eat live fish, as well as an assortment of cephalopods etc. They're not dependent on fishing boats for their scran.

The seal never went for them, but there was definite interaction between the sea gulls and the seal.

5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Roe deer cutting about Firrhill/Oxgangs at night.

Not totally unheard of but it's been years since I've seen them twice in a week.

Mortonhall Golf Club have got deer living on the course.    Groups of deer have been known to live on Edinburgh courses for years but also mysteriously move on to new grounds.    

Seymour M Hersh
9 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Sure he's not a Norwegian Wood?

Unknown user
On 25/04/2020 at 00:10, The Frenchman Returns said:

Before I left for work this morning at 0630 I threw some food out to the birds. Was pleased to see Crowboy and Crowgirl were the early birds this morning. I then learnt something new. Crows are like squirrels. One picked up a bit of food, walked over to a flower bed I am creating and buried it under some earth. I thought I was imagining things. They then returned took another piece of food and went in the opposite direction to a section of bedding with slate chips, and hid it in a small fir bush. Then flew away.

Now before I decided to post this I checked and I wasn't tripping.

Crows sometimes will bury food in the the yard and cover it with leaves or grass. They also hide food in trees or rain gutters, or another spot. Like squirrels, crows will retrieve the stored food when needed. 

I saw a crow eating a shite once

Tommy Brown
16 hours ago, scottishguy said:

Fox out the back every day for the last 5 or 6 weeks.

Woodpecker most days and the buzzard flies over every few days, not normally as close though. 

All in Livingston, 25 bird species regularly coming into the garden.

Your pretty lucky. I'm in Uphall. For most of the last few years all I had was gulls and magpies, loads of them.

Ex neighbour throwing bread out, twat.

Starting to more variation now. Need to start filling the bird feeder again. First magpie for a while the other day.

We normally get a heron, close by at this time of year. Only one??

Must a right lonely bird. Seen it one time get bullied by about 4 crows.

17 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Would it not be the case of the gulls eyeing up the seal?  I've heard of gulls attacking seal cubs. Maybe with the less dead fish you mention and less food rubbish from businesses, and discarded takeaways, the gulls are getting hungrier? 

We have a white tailed sea eagle temporarily setting up home close to where I usually go fishing.

Very rare to see one of those.

It is HUGE!!!!

22 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

We have a white tailed sea eagle temporarily setting up home close to where I usually go fishing.

It is HUGE!!!!

I guess you're not talking about the Union Canal?

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

It is HUGE!!!!

You need to get a picture......spent a week on Harris and managed to catch a glimpse of one as it flew low across the front of our car.....

was not quick enough to get my camera out.

Edited by highlandjambo3

38 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You need to get a picture......spent a week on Harris and managed to catch a glimpse of one as it flew low across the front of our car.....

I will try next time I’m out on anti poacher patrol 👍

16 hours ago, Victorian said:

Mortonhall Golf Club have got deer living on the course.    Groups of deer have been known to live on Edinburgh courses for years but also mysteriously move on to new grounds.    

Nicked from Facebook, a deer running alongside the main road near Danderhall this morning.

FB_IMG_1588244557306.jpg

Had an owl fly right next to me on my walk yesterday evening. First time I had seen one in years of walking in the area. Beautiful beast.

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Had an owl fly right next to me on my walk yesterday evening. First time I had seen one in years of walking in the area. Beautiful beast.

2 Hoolets down my way, I haven't seen them. But I'll make do with listening. The Buzzards are showoffs.

I can't help feeling that the reduced pollution due to lockdown is another factor in wildlife being seen in areas they aren't normally. It's one of the few good things that has come out of all this - the stark realisation of how good the air can be if we stop pumping crap into it.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

- the stark realisation of how good the air can be if we stop pumping crap into it.

Yep, and the number of cows has remained constant!

highlandjambo3
47 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

2 Hoolets down my way, I haven't seen them. But I'll make do with listening. The Buzzards are showoffs.

There is a joke in there somewhere 🤓

superjack
20 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Was working on a fresh water fish farm in harris a few years ago. Used to watch a sea eagle and some golder eagles regularly. Once seen a few crows trying to take a folder eagle down once, the eagle hardly noticed.

CostaJambo
19 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

There is a joke in there somewhere 🤓

There was one in my post above too, but it needed someone to come back and ask "What's a braffer" :jj_facepalm:

24 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

There was one in my post above too, but it needed someone to come back and ask "What's a braffer" :jj_facepalm:

What's a braffer?

Governor Tarkin
21 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

I will try next time I’m out poaching 👍

:interehjrling:

Dawnrazor
23 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

I will try next time I’m out on anti poacher patrol 👍

Are you on a river?

Dawnrazor
47 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Cant get a PM to you. Is your inbox full?

I'll have a look🤔🤔

On 30/04/2020 at 12:35, redjambo said:

I can't help feeling that the reduced pollution due to lockdown is another factor in wildlife being seen in areas they aren't normally. It's one of the few good things that has come out of all this - the stark realisation of how good the air can be if we stop pumping crap into it.

Only hope is that offices etc realise that working from home is a good thing and it continues otherwise we'll probably see post lockdown pollution levels being higher than before all of this with people ditching public transport for cars due to not wanting to be sat next to other people

12 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Only hope is that offices etc realise that working from home is a good thing and it continues otherwise we'll probably see post lockdown pollution levels being higher than before all of this with people ditching public transport for cars due to not wanting to be sat next to other people

That's a fair point, Ribble, I had never thought of that.

13 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I saw a duckdo the other day. 

In support of father jokes everywhere, I'll be your wingman.

What's a duckdo?

16 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Did you feel a bit of a toowit  ? 

You're such a hoot, Jonno. :)

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

In support of father jokes everywhere, I'll be your wingman.

What's a duckdo?

quack quack

highlandjambo3
57 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I saw a duckdo the other day. 

Surly no one is going to bite with that one eh??......

surly not