Wildlife getting braver

Greedy Jambo

Earlier on there were a large amount of crows perched on all the houses opposite my front door and some seagulls further up the road like a scene from The Birds. So out of curiosity I went out into the front garden and threw some food scraps into the road for them. What it ended up with was a massive gang fight between the two groups which was then joined by a few magpies that appeared out of nowhere. There must have been about 30 of them at the peak of the battle. The crows had the agility and numbers but the seagulls had the brute force and aggression. The magpies were basically the sneaky wee guys nipping in and pinching things when the big lads were squaring up to each other. Entertaining way to break up the day. 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Morgan

• Greedy Jambo

• highlandjambo3

17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Earlier on there were a large amount of crows perched on all the houses opposite my front door and some seagulls further up the road like a scene from The Birds. So out of curiosity I went out into the front garden and threw some food scraps into the road for them. What it ended up with was a massive gang fight between the two groups which was then joined by a few magpies that appeared out of nowhere. There must have been about 30 of them at the peak of the battle. The crows had the agility and numbers but the seagulls had the brute force and aggression. The magpies were basically the sneaky wee guys nipping in and pinching things when the big lads were squaring up to each other. Entertaining way to break up the day. 

with descriptions like that we have found the new attenborough

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

I didn't know you were a patron of the classical arts, giant foam hats off to you. 

I'm a very cultured guy👍😎🤣

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm a very cultured guy👍😎🤣

Well obvs

Saw them in Eindhoven with Jay Lane on drums, magic!

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Well obvs

Saw them in Eindhoven with Jay Lane on drums, magic!

Saw the a couple or 3 times myself, mad as a box of frogs and a pretty wild gig! My son had taken up the bass recently and is picking it up at a depressingly quick rate, but whenever he's getting above his self and rubbing my nose in how much better he is than I am, I show this bass tab, Jerry was a Race Car Driver or My Name is Mud and he soon pisses off!!!

As well as Les Claypool being the finest of fine bass players, he's also a very accomplished fly fisher.

queensferryjambo
20 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Maybe a rat? 

Across from my local Tesco, on what was an active building site it is swarming with rats. Exact same roughly 100 yards away near Burger King the bushes are full of them.  

There are loads of them and they are not being disturbed by people so are swaggering about in broad daylight. 

It's pretty horrible to be honest. 

:ratboy:

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Saw the a couple or 3 times myself, mad as a box of frogs and a pretty wild gig! My son had taken up the bass recently and is picking it up at a depressingly quick rate, but whenever he's getting above his self and rubbing my nose in how much better he is than I am, I show this bass tab, Jerry was a Race Car Driver or My Name is Mud and he soon pisses off!!!

As well as Les Claypool being the finest of fine bass players, he's also a very accomplished fly fisher.

I covered groundhog day and shake hands with beef many years ago but I really wanted to do John the fisherman, just never convinced a band to give it a go. He's some lad, I loved the desaturating seven album, hated the willy Wonka one, you just never know what he's going to do next. He's got a decent vineyard too I think I read.

Maynard James Keenan from Tool owns vineyards. Obviously a growth industry in musicians. Cliff Richard and Mick Hucknall also make wine but I don’t consider them musicians 😀

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I covered groundhog day and shake hands with beef many years ago but I really wanted to do John the fisherman, just never convinced a band to give it a go. He's some lad, I loved the desaturating seven album, hated the willy Wonka one, you just never know what he's going to do next. He's got a decent vineyard too I think I read.

I love that "eccentric" type, a bit like Jah Wobble, bass players seem to harness "eccentric" the best!!! They played the UK when I was a daft young twat living out of an army kit bag and hitching about, bands like Primus, Faith No More(with Chuck) Red Hot Chilli Peppers(when they were good and before they disappeared up thier own arseholes) Enuff Z Nuff, Fishbone and other "crossover" bands were playing here on what seemed like a weekly basis, I always loved the bass driven bands, bands that had the bass as almost the lead guitar, early New Model Army being a favourite. Primus always had that "classy" edge, a bit avant garde but always seemed ti be a bit better than others, a crying shame they never reached the commercial success they deserved...........or maybe not!

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I love that "eccentric" type, a bit like Jah Wobble, bass players seem to harness "eccentric" the best!!! They played the UK when I was a daft young twat living out of an army kit bag and hitching about, bands like Primus, Faith No More(with Chuck) Red Hot Chilli Peppers(when they were good and before they disappeared up thier own arseholes) Enuff Z Nuff, Fishbone and other "crossover" bands were playing here on what seemed like a weekly basis, I always loved the bass driven bands, bands that had the bass as almost the lead guitar, early New Model Army being a favourite. Primus always had that "classy" edge, a bit avant garde but always seemed ti be a bit better than others, a crying shame they never reached the commercial success they deserved...........or maybe not!

I was trying to introduce the mrs to introduce yourself the other day actually, she did not care for it! To be fair she only clicked to Patton fairly recently so maybe give her time yet. 

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

A water vole?

It's a "you better run because i'm going to destroy you, vole"

Greedy Jambo
18 minutes ago, Crete said:

Is that in your garden 

How good would that be, i could get a series on netflix, Puma King

jamtartan74
30 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

How good would that be, i could get a series on netflix, Puma King

Underrated post imo 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

10 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Across from my local Tesco, on what was an active building site it is swarming with rats. Exact same roughly 100 yards away near Burger King the bushes are full of them.  

There are loads of them and they are not being disturbed by people so are swaggering about in broad daylight. 

It's pretty horrible to be honest. 

:ratboy:

Get the Jack Russells oot.

10 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

Check the size of this beast caught on camera

93199304_10159515950746980_5958372438562570240_n.jpg

Mountain Lions that size are rare. That would feck your guard dog right up.

15 hours ago, Tazio said:

Moan the Corbies, intae thim!

highlandjambo3
On 17/04/2020 at 20:41, Cade said:

A wild Haggis?

They are officially extinct........however, maybe one in captivity escaped.

highlandjambo3
22 hours ago, Tazio said:

💡💡💡ever thought about taking bets on the outcome?  I.e. Say, 3 seagulls v 5 crows after one chip chucked out the back....who got the chip etc.

fabienleclerq
On 18/04/2020 at 15:32, Smithee said:

I saw a smashing fox in next door's garden the other night, a surprisingly big one. It watched me come and go but stood it's ground. Magic!

How long you been pumping the neighbour? 😁

Unknown user
19 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

How long you been pumping the neighbour? 😁

It's his wheelchair that does it for me 

7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Tell you what, seagulls are getting braver and nastier.

They will be getting hungry.

Not as much rubbish lying around or in bins.  

Hopefully they all **** off back to the sea.   ^^^^s!   I ****ing hate gulls.

Edited by Lovecraft

1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

Yes, they’re right evil b@stards at times.

19 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

you know seagulls despite the name are not sea birds

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

you know seagulls despite the name are not sea birds

Well most of the ones we see in town are herring gulls. That well known city dwelling fish 😀

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

They've moved up to Firrhill in the past couple of weeks. 

First time we've seen them here consistently and in such numbers.

The crows still hold the upper hand for now.  Buzzards and sparrowhawks conspicuous by their absence.

Shanks said no
On 18/04/2020 at 17:45, Tazio said:

I have found that putting food on the shed roof evens the odds, on the lawn the seagulls nearly always win, sheer numbers. However they are more nervous on the shed roof as there are high trees on 2 sides, the crows, backed by the magpies, get on the roof first. Then the seagulls/gulls join them and the fun begins. Great spectator sport.

Strong supporter of the crows since they chased down a rat on my lawn and flew off with it.

Mrs F even bought a loaf for 5p last night to keep me entertained. We went out to look for Elon Musk at 2158 and a seagull flew overhead in the dark, Mrs reckons they are watching the house and saw my bald napper.

Shanks said no

Before I left for work this morning at 0630 I threw some food out to the birds. Was pleased to see Crowboy and Crowgirl were the early birds this morning. I then learnt something new. Crows are like squirrels. One picked up a bit of food, walked over to a flower bed I am creating and buried it under some earth. I thought I was imagining things. They then returned took another piece of food and went in the opposite direction to a section of bedding with slate chips, and hid it in a small fir bush. Then flew away.

Now before I decided to post this I checked and I wasn't tripping.

Crows sometimes will bury food in the the yard and cover it with leaves or grass. They also hide food in trees or rain gutters, or another spot. Like squirrels, crows will retrieve the stored food when needed. 

11 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Before I left for work this morning at 0630 I threw some food out to the birds. Was pleased to see Crowboy and Crowgirl were the early birds this morning. I then learnt something new. Crows are like squirrels. One picked up a bit of food, walked over to a flower bed I am creating and buried it under some earth. I thought I was imagining things. They then returned took another piece of food and went in the opposite direction to a section of bedding with slate chips, and hid it in a small fir bush. Then flew away.

Crows sometimes will bury food in the the yard and cover it with leaves or grass. They also hide food in trees or rain gutters, or another spot. Like squirrels, crows will retrieve the stored food when needed. 

Good knowledge. I’m going to keep my eyes open for this, as long as I can fend off the fecking seagulls. I chucked a bit of food out earlier and there wasn’t a single one in sight, 10 seconds later the nasty shites were everywhere. 

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I once watched a fox burying the remains of a fish from a fish supper in my garden. I like to think of it standing seething,  when it found it wasn't there when it later went back looking for it.  

On 18/04/2020 at 21:18, Space Pirate said:

Seen very similar on the corstorphine hill last Saturday 

Check out its right Arm/Leg. 

Will be most single guys once they emerge from this lockdown. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
10 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I once watched a fox burying the remains of a fish from a fish supper in my garden. I like to think of it standing seething,  when it found it wasn't there when it later went back looking for it.  

Before I was born, my mum and dad lived at Edward's air force base, in the Mojave desert. Their dog used to bury ice cubes and looked confused as **** when he went back to get them. He'd end up digging up half the garden. :lol:

30 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Before I was born, my mum and dad lived at Edward's air force base, in the Mojave desert. Their dog used to bury ice cubes and looked confused as **** when he went back to get them. He'd end up digging up half the garden. :lol:

Sounds like a good parental wind up. My da was partial to one or two, when I was a boy. :D

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Sounds like a good parental wind up. My da was partial to one or two, when I was a boy. :D

Apparently not. He used to bury chicken, too, but my dad had to dig that up as the 100 degree heat made it rotten by the time the dog went back. Again, he would dig up half the garden looking for it.

chuck berrys hairline

Steve French

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Check out its right Arm/Leg. 

Will be most single guys once they emerge from this lockdown. 

Probably  be more married guys

luckyBatistuta
On 18/04/2020 at 17:45, Tazio said:

Should have filmed it for us😞  I hate Magpies and Seagulls, but respect the old crows, really clever birds.

Watched a news report yesterday. It was about some woman going on about how a fox was coming into her garden and how it was so good for here children seeing this friendly fox sleeping in her garden and coming up to the window etc, etc... Sorry hen, but see the big Cat in one of the shots, the Fox wants it for its dinner. And your dumb ass will serve it up in plate.

Edited by ri Alban

21 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Watched a news report yesterday. It was about some woman going on about how a fox was coming into her garden and how it was so good for here children seeing this friendly fox sleeping in her garden and coming up to the window etc, etc... Sorry hen, but see the big Cat in one of the shots, the Fox wants it for its dinner. And your dumb ass will serve it up in plate.

Cat would batter a fox easy, they tend to ignore each other anyway. A fox is not that hard.

45 minutes ago, tightrope said:

Cat would batter a fox easy, they tend to ignore each other anyway. A fox is not that hard.

I need to save cats most mornings from the local fox. The cries from cats are heartbreaking.