Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• ri Alban

• Marvin

• Notts1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Not sure if this amazing man got reported in Scotland. 

This 99 year old set out to do 100 laps of his garden before is 100th birthday. He wanted to raise £1000 for NHS charities.

At 17.45 BST the Just Giving page show donations of more than £15million.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52303859

Yeah I’ve been following this. Outstanding stuff from the old boy.

yeah, seems a great old guy I gave him a quid per lap when he was at 1.5m - hope he doesn't change his mind and blow it on fast cars, cocaine and hookers!

Tommy Brown
8 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

yeah, seems a great old guy I gave him a quid per lap when he was at 1.5m - hope he doesn't change his mind and blow it on fast cars, cocaine and hookers!

Made me think of George Vest's anecdote.

He opened his hotel door for room service.

The bed is covered in cash  and champagne bottles with a Miss World in it.

The porter turns to George and says

"Where did all go wrong, George?"

:scenes:

Absolutely Brilliant and think he'd hit you with the knighthood. But one question I have is, "Why does the NHS need charity?"

Jambo-Jimbo

In 50 years time.......................

Mummy what did Great Grandad do during the Covid-19 pandemic?

Well at the age of 99 he decided walk 100 laps of his garden to raise £1000 for the NHS, he raised over £12m.

Meanwhile somewhere else.

Mummy what did Grandad do during the Covid-19 pandemic?

Well he pretended to be an NHS worker so he could skip the queue at Tesco, he pushed an old woman out the way so he could get the last toilet roll on the shelf, he hoarded all the pasta, rice and tins of food & toilet paper meaning that old and vulnerable people had to do without, oh and he also stole hand sanitizer from the local hospital.   Mummy he sounds like a right tw@t.

Sir Captain Tom Moore, has a nice ring about that, I hope he gets honored.  And I doth my hat to you sir, well done.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Sir Captain Tom Moore, has a nice ring about that, I hope he gets honored.  And I doth my hat to you sir, well done.

Without wishing to appear arsey, it would be Captain Sir Tom Moore, rather than Sir Captain...

And whilst I'm pretty meh about the whole honours system, if he would appreciate it, I'd be all for him getting one.

3 minutes ago, Boof said:

Without wishing to appear arsey, it would be Captain Sir Tom Moore, rather than Sir Captain...

And whilst I'm pretty meh about the whole honours system, if he would appreciate it, I'd be all for him getting one.

Saint Thomas Moore , sounds familiar.

Jambo-Jimbo
17 minutes ago, Boof said:

Is it, I thought that Sir would outrank the Captain title, but hey guess I was wrong.

N Lincs Jambo
39 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Absolutely Brilliant and think he'd hit you with the knighthood. But one question I have is, "Why does the NHS need charity?"

on both scores absolutely bang on the cash

joondalupjambo
12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

https://www.nhscharitiestogether.co.uk/what-we-do/

Yeah I was thinking if they need more cash to function why is a charity involved and not more direct funding from the Government then I read this link.  Guess what Charities Together are doing is trying to add in extra value in areas the Government will not be funding which is a way of getting the public and others to put it in.

Good on the old boy, some effort.  

27 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

https://www.nhscharitiestogether.co.uk/what-we-do/

Yeah I was thinking if they need more cash to function why is a charity involved and not more direct funding from the Government then I read this link.  Guess what Charities Together are doing is trying to add in extra value in areas the Government will not be funding which is a way of getting the public and others to put it in.

Good on the old boy, some effort.  

Did Thatcher not tax Band aid? They'll probably just take this from government funding. Hope not.

Jambo-Jimbo
30 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Did Thatcher not tax Band aid? They'll probably just take this from government funding. Hope not.

They were going to, but changed their minds due to the public backlash.

I P Knightley
10 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

Do these funds go to Scottish NHS?

Yay! A bit of parochialism to spice up the day!!

I'm with Ri's comment. I've already written elsewhere that a properly funded NHS, with let's say, an additional £350 million per week would not have to turn to the likes of Captain Tom for top up cash.

What he's decided to do is wonderful and he's great in interviews; how was he to know that the spirit of people in the UK would be so generous?

I hate to bring cynicism into things... but... this government will praise Captain Tom and bask in whatever reflected glory they can milk before going back to its old ways of doing eff all to help the 'ordinary' user of NHSs. They will feather their own nests and those of their crony donors. They shouldn't be allowed to forget that their actions led to a situation where a 99-year-old man felt he had to do fundraising for what should be a basic service.

Meanwhile, how many other charities are on their knees while we are in lockdown?

Sorry. It looks like I'm pissing on his parade.

He's great and everyone who's backing him is great. Fundamentally, we're a great society that doesn't have the governement we deserve.

I P Knightley
7 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

BBC sports personality of the year?  

That would be brilliant!!!

Bit of a weakened field but you're spot on.

11 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

Do these funds go to Scottish NHS?

The money is being raised for NHS Charities Together (a link is posted above), they cover the whole of the UK.

17 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm with Ri's comment. I've already written elsewhere that a properly funded NHS, with let's say, an additional £350 million per week would not have to turn to the likes of Captain Tom for top up cash.

What he's decided to do is wonderful and he's great in interviews; how was he to know that the spirit of people in the UK would be so generous?

I hate to bring cynicism into things... but... this government will praise Captain Tom and bask in whatever reflected glory they can milk before going back to its old ways of doing eff all to help the 'ordinary' user of NHSs. They will feather their own nests and those of their crony donors. They shouldn't be allowed to forget that their actions led to a situation where a 99-year-old man felt he had to do fundraising for what should be a basic service.

Meanwhile, how many other charities are on their knees while we are in lockdown?

He's great and everyone who's backing him is great. Fundamentally, we're a great society that doesn't have the governement we deserve.

We do have the government we deserve. It’s what we voted for, so don’t really get that bit.

Other than that, There’s not much I disagree with in your post.

58 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

They were going to, but changed their minds due to the public backlash.

Cheers, I wasn't to sure if she went through with it or not. 

joondalupjambo
53 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I agree with the principals of what you are saying however not sure if you looked at the link I posted above to where the monies raised are to be used.  It should not in theory be going to the core areas of the NHS so in turn it should really be a case of turning to Tom for help.

That said who knows until we see a final report in the future from NHS Charities Together as to how it was divided up and spent.  It is a UK charity though so all the UK nations should benefit.

Like you I do not want to detract from the old boys efforts in any way.  I think that if he just got a few thousand it would have been fine.  The charity now have some problems due to the huge amount raised because they might not have been receipents of such a large sum before and also surely they will now come under a lot more scrutiny in terms of the public wanting to know how it was allocated.

Again good on him though.

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Do not think so on the first question but would need to double check. 

On the point of the use of the monies it will come under a lot of scrunity I think and so if any of the Governments responsible for allocating Health budgets tried any funny business it would surely back fire.   You would hope so anyway.

3 minutes ago, Boof said:

🤣😂🤣

I particularly liked this bit.

“It would be such a thrill to meet the Queen,” said Moore.

“I’ve always liked the younger ladies.”

2 hours ago, jambo89 said:

We do have the government we deserve. It’s what we voted for, so don’t really get that bit.

If the options are all utter rubbish like they were last time out, then we don't have the Govt we deserve...It is mid-April and our Govt still have not done the PREP for the virus that should've been ticked off in Jan & Feb - They are currently discussing whether it is worthwhile having us all wear masks yet they cannot even provide enough to the NHS let alone Care Homes...

Edited by Spellczech

Fair play to Captain Tom an amazing achievement, however we must all remember the NHS is not!! a charity, as other people have alluded fund raising events for the NHS ( commendable as they are) could be channelled elsewhere if the NHS  was properly funded. This is just my opinion and I do not want to take away the tremendous effort shown by Capt Tom.

Edited by micole

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, jambo89 said:

The type of people who go into politics and seep to the top are not the type of people that most of us would choose to have leading us.

An election is just the choice between a shit sandwich and a shit pie. It's always the least bad option rather than the best option.

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

I agree with the principals of what you are saying however not sure if you looked at the link I posted above to where the monies raised are to be used.  It should not in theory be going to the core areas of the NHS so in turn it should really be a case of turning to Tom for help.

That said who knows until we see a final report in the future from NHS Charities Together as to how it was divided up and spent.  It is a UK charity though so all the UK nations should benefit.

Like you I do not want to detract from the old boys efforts in any way.  I think that if he just got a few thousand it would have been fine.  The charity now have some problems due to the huge amount raised because they might not have been receipents of such a large sum before and also surely they will now come under a lot more scrutiny in terms of the public wanting to know how it was allocated.

Again good on him though.

Sorry; I'd meant to acknowledge your link and the fact that it's NHS charities - something that seems oxymoronic.

I've seen a quote from the German Jambo, Henning Wehn that says something like, "In Germany, we don't have charities because we pay our taxes." That's kind of where I'm coming from.

1 hour ago, Boof said:

If that were true, then tbh I wouldn't be surprised. I work for the department and some of the decisions I've seen are baffling. Its because of said decisions that I have become disillusioned with my role and I'm holding out for a pay off.   

Unknown user
8 hours ago, Spellczech said:

If the options are all utter rubbish like they were last time out, then we don't have the Govt we deserve...It is mid-April and our Govt still have not done the PREP for the virus that should've been ticked off in Jan & Feb - They are currently discussing whether it is worthwhile having us all wear masks yet they cannot even provide enough to the NHS let alone Care Homes...

I get what you're saying but I get what he's saying too.

Years of apathy and not holding politicians to account for their lies and bullshit is what left us with shitty choices and arseholes who think they can do what they want.

He's an absolute gent and his achievement is astonishing but I find it uncomfortable watching a man of his age struggling to walk, all just to raise cash for our health service. It's great, obviously, and I'm not disparaging his efforts by any means, it's just....he shouldn't have to. What a superstar though. Amazing amount raised.

Governor Tarkin
11 hours ago, Smithee said:

I get what you're saying but I get what he's saying too.

Years of apathy and not holding politicians to account for their lies and bullshit is what left us with shitty choices and arseholes who think they can do what they want.

Spot on.

It's stuff like this that brings the failure of our political 'leaders' into sharp focus.

Who knows, maybe folk will sit up and take notice. That would be a legacy worth far more than twenty odd million that Tom has convinced us to part with so far.

It he was offered a knighthood I hope he'd tell them to ram it.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Spot on.

It's stuff like this that brings the failure of our political 'leaders' into sharp focus.

Who knows, maybe folk will sit up and take notice. That would be a legacy worth far more than twenty odd million that Tom has convinced us to part with so far.

It he was offered a knighthood I hope he'd tell them to ram it.

Good post.

21 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I've seen a quote from the German Jambo, Henning Wehn that says something like, "In Germany, we don't have charities because we pay our taxes." That's kind of where I'm coming from.

Kind of agree with everything you've said and if anything comes from Cptn. Tom's marvelous feat, maybe successive governments will be a bit more like Germany, and fund the health service properly.

It's a great story and an astounding result.

But you cannot help but feel that after this is over, people will still bitch and moan about having to pay tax and bitterly fight any proposal to increase taxes, even if it is ring-fenced for the NHS.

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

This wonderful old guy walking about his garden whilst billionaires and the royal do **** all.

Tbf the royals give speeches.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Tbf the royals give speeches.

Yeah they’re ****ing inspirational 😆.

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah they’re ****ing inspirational 😆.

They give that warm fuzzy feeling.

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Think I read somewhere that's what Meghan had said as well, allegedly.   🧔 

28 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Was that post meant for the wildlife thread...ie 70s beavers?

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, maroongoals said:

Well done to the man , And he wears what looks very like a hearts tie.

It's his old regimental tie (Duke of Wellington Regiment).