Next manager.

Hans von Luck

If there is to be change then no more gambles or projects... this dream of someone who is not frightened of the old firm is absolutely metal... the days of Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean are long gone, there is now no way even with Guardiola in charge we are getting anywhere near Celtic in this lifetime.

We hire a man who knows the Scottish game and his remit would be to make us best of the rest... Ie finishing third and occasionally getting to cup finals.. that is the best we can hope to achieve... Scottish Football has completely changed since the 1980s I’m afraid... never to return 

Edited by jbee647

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

• Cruyff

• Greedy Jambo

3 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

If there is to be change then no more gambles or projects... this dream of someone who is not frightened of the old firm is absolutely metal... the days of Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean are long gone, there is now no way even with Guardiola in charge we are getting anywhere near Celtic in this lifetime.

We hire a man who knows the Scottish game and his remit would be to make us best of the rest... Ie finishing third and occasionally getting to cup finals.. that is the best we can hope to achieve... Scottish Football has completely changed since the 1980s I’m afraid... never to return 

People thought like that in England and got a surprise. We should always be looking to win and challenge. It's not impossible. We shouldn't settle for Best of the rest and the odd cup final.

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

That's the spirit. Let's just concede games to Celtic and Rangers to save everyone cash and time.

Just now, tightrope said:

People thought like that in England and got a surprise. We should always be looking to win and challenge. It's not impossible. We shouldn't settle for Best of the rest and the odd cup final.

The fact that Leicester had millions to spend had a lot to do with that...no offence mate but you are deluded and the Celtic stranglehold on Scottish Football is not ending anytime soon I’m afraid...only team who has a sniff of toppling them is Rangers, if we have this conversation again in 25 years I’d be shocked if things had changed 

The Real Maroonblood
23 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

we have to start looking for a new manager soon as Sten just wants to go,  he's not been good at all for our team, hopefully the next one will be a lot better.

Pish.

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

That's the spirit. Let's just concede games to Celtic and Rangers to save everyone cash and time.

Mate I’m only being realistic... Celtic are absolutely light years ahead of anyone in Scotland... I’m not saying Hearts should concede games to Celtic or Rangers... but I can say without doubt that plenty possibly the majority of clubs in the SPFL are absolutely delighted to leave Celtic Park with a 2-0 defeat season in season out

10 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

The fact that Leicester had millions to spend had a lot to do with that...no offence mate but you are deluded and the Celtic stranglehold on Scottish Football is not ending anytime soon I’m afraid...only team who has a sniff of toppling them is Rangers, if we have this conversation again in 25 years I’d be shocked if things had changed 

Yeah, they had the same resources as the big boys, that's why they were 5000-1 at the start of the season. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36166146

Edited by tightrope

1 minute ago, tightrope said:

Yeah, they had the same resources as the big boys, that's why they were 5000-1 at the start of the season. 

Sorry you are not comparing like with like... Celtic and Rangers have dominated Scottish Football for 130 years... it’s not changing...what happens in English football is irrelevant to what happens in Scotland... since David Murray took over Rangers, Scottish Football was finished as a competative league... it’s not and never will be anything like a level playing field, I’m a realist, I’ll leave the dreaming and delusion to them from Lochend

portobellojambo1

I've not been reading much, if anything, about Stendel, since we last played, and as such have no reason not to believe he will still be in charge once the football restarts, and wherever the outcome determines we will play our football next season.

Just now, jbee647 said:

Sorry you are not comparing like with like... Celtic and Rangers have dominated Scottish Football for 130 years... it’s not changing...what happens in English football is irrelevant to what happens in Scotland... since David Murray took over Rangers, Scottish Football was finished as a competative league... it’s not and never will be anything like a level playing field, I’m a realist, I’ll leave the dreaming and delusion to them from Lochend

Maybe, but you make out it's impossible, it's not and has been done all over the world. You want to accept it, it's your shout. I will always remain optimistic and hope one day we will challenge again. Why do you go? Just to get out for a while? You want to call me delusional...your choice, I say optimistic and hopeful.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
36 minutes ago, tightrope said:

Exactly how we got into this mess.

The world is a mess. Predictions are futile or long term targets. 

Building blocks need to be put in place and gradually built upon.

Things have changed 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Perversely, there could be long term security for football managers. 

Money will be scarce to sack them. 

Less get sacked less positions to move into 

Don't know if anyone else watched the live stream on Instagram, but basically Marvin Bartley was interviewing Harry Cochrane. Most of it was run of the mill questions about his experiences as a footballer and getting his break as a youngster but he was talking very positively about Stendel and what he wants. Fitness is a huge demand from Stendel not surprisingly and he sounded very positive about the way Stendel is wanting to play. 

I really hope DS is here next season because it feels like we're just round the corner from where we need to be. With more time the youngsters can really get their heads round what he wants and hopefully the club can as a whole move to focusing on that style of play.

If we do end up having to go down a league, I have no issue with him staying. A season to take the youngsters to form our squad for the next 3 years could be good. Cochrane, Irving, McDonald, Moore, Brandon, Henderson could if they all buy into whats on offer really kick on. I've not included Hickey, because there doesn't seem to be much chance of him signing an extension sadly :( Hopefully he changes his mind, but I suspect a development fee move to celtic is probably on the horizon.

Greedy Jambo

Just checking in to see if folk still think Neilson or Robinson would come to us in the championship. 

Too many people on the crazy train. 

33 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Exactly how we got into this mess.

The world is a mess. Predictions are futile or long term targets. 

Building blocks need to be put in place and gradually built upon.

Things have changed 

Exactly where did I say we should spend our way to it?

55 minutes ago, tightrope said:

Maybe, but you make out it's impossible, it's not and has been done all over the world. You want to accept it, it's your shout. I will always remain optimistic and hope one day we will challenge again. Why do you go? Just to get out for a while? You want to call me delusional...your choice, I say optimistic and hopeful.

The guy has got a point tbf . 

Let's build to be best of the rest

then take it from there . 

It would be a huge bonus for anything else other than best of the rest , not impossible but a bonus non the less . 

Greedy Jambo

We should have been building to be consistently 3rd in the league 5 years ago. 

What do you expect us to build to now with nae money and the same jobbies in charge?

Championship most likely on the way...

43 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

What do you expect us to build to now with nae money and the same jobbies in charge?

Aye we were loaded with money then.

BTW what do you think about the new manager, if any?

Edited by JamboAl

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I'm no sure it matters while we still have the same people in charge/ on the board, they know nothing about football. 

If i put that to one side, i would imagine that we will be cost cutting and Stendel won't stay on even if he wants to. 

My guess would be Robbo. Someone that won't demand a big wage and actually wants to be at the club. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Space Pirate said:

Even with our best managers and teams of the past we have only ever finished 3rd twice in a row once. Ironically, under the most vilified Hearts manager in living memory.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Who?

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Even with our best managers and teams of the past we have only ever finished 3rd twice in a row once. Ironically, under the most vilified Hearts manager in living memory.

We finished 3rd in 1912-13&1913-14.

He is also the only manager to have us finish 6th twice in a row.

We’ve only finished in the same position two seasons running ten times in 130 years.

1 hour ago, Space Pirate said:

I'm no sure it matters while we still have the same people in charge/ on the board, they know nothing about football. 

If i put that to one side, i would imagine that we will be cost cutting and Stendel won't stay on even if he wants to. 

My guess would be Robbo. Someone that won't demand a big wage and actually wants to be at the club. 

Your first senrence is simply your biased view of things that you want to showcase at every opportunity.

Celric are easily top of our league.  Can you name which of their directors know anything about football?

Liverpool are running away with the EPL.  Apart from the recently appointed K M Dalglish, who else is steeped in football wisdom?

East Lothian Jambo
5 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Like Levein did his entire managerial career 

East Lothian Jambo
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Are you seriously seeking to try and defend what has taken place since December 2016?

I think Stendel definitely was doing a lot of good things.

We have played better football, albeit in parts, under Stendel than anytime since Robbie left and we've scored quite a few goals. The results haven't been great due to a leaky defence but this ship has been sinking for a long, long time. Long before Stendel showed up. 

However, I do believe that he made some bad choices.

His first mistake imo was that he went to gung ho early doors.  I don't believe that his philosophy is wrong, that imo is a winners philosophy. It just wasn’t right for us at this time. We neither have the right players nor, the balance in the squad to play that way. The limitations of the squad were evident. 

Second mistake. Getting rid off Berra. He should have punted/benched Halkett and dropped the line back a bit. We didn't need to press that high or play an offside trap. Should have kept it simple. Man for Man, Berra head it, boot it into row Z, Smithy sweeping behind. 

Third mistake. Signings. I don't think that was entirely his doing though. January is a difficult time but we needed to sort that defence out. We needed to try and find a keeper, and we desperately needed central mids.

I'm sure given time to train, get fit and adapt Langer & Avdijaj may have been good players next season but it wasn’t the time to lay foundations for next season during a relegation battle. It was time to bring in tried and tested, solid pros that could get us over the line. 

I hope Stendel stays though. I think he's a good coach. I just think he was maybe a touch arrogant about what he thought he could do straight away due to what he had achieved at Barnsley. I think he underestimated the challenge and Scottish football. However, he probably knows much more now than what he did and going forward I think his philosophy and coaching will benefit us. 

I honestly don't see the point in changing manager again. I think he deserves a clean slate next season. Give him time to build his team. If it doesn't work we're back to square one but it's not like we would be going from Neilson having us 1st,3rd,2nd to the lowlights of Cathro. We're starting from scratch anyway. 

7 hours ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

Are you seriously seeking to try and defend what has taken place since December 2016?

Did I say that?

David McCaig
12 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I've not been reading much, if anything, about Stendel, since we last played, and as such have no reason not to believe he will still be in charge once the football restarts, and wherever the outcome determines we will play our football next season.

It came out right at the start of the shutdown that Stendel does not have a contract in the event of relegation.

Another concern is that his English wasn't great whilst he was here. In the interview he did a couple of weeks ago with Sky, he was almost incomprehensible... my money is 100% on Stendel never sitting in the Hearts dugout again.

I am strongly of the opinion that we will be a Championship team whenever next season might be. Taking into account the manager will be working with a significantly smaller budget I wouldn't be against giving Hartley the job. I have been an advocate of the no former players approach after Levein's disgusting tenure but it would actually be based on facts rather than affection. Experience in that league, no massive compensation issue and he has come back as a success after failure which is always a good sign. This might be the perfect time for him. 

jamboinglasgow
7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

We have played better football, albeit in parts, under Stendel than anytime since Robbie left and we've scored quite a few goals. The results haven't been great due to a leaky defence but this ship has been sinking for a long, long time. Long before Stendel showed up. 

His first mistake imo was that he went to gung ho early doors.  I don't believe that his philosophy is wrong, that imo is a winners philosophy. It just wasn’t right for us at this time. We neither have the right players nor, the balance in the squad to play that way. The limitations of the squad were evident. 

Second mistake. Getting rid off Berra. He should have punted/benched Halkett and dropped the line back a bit. We didn't need to press that high or play an offside trap. Should have kept it simple. Man for Man, Berra head it, boot it into row Z, Smithy sweeping behind. 

Third mistake. Signings. I don't think that was entirely his doing though. January is a difficult time but we needed to sort that defence out. We needed to try and find a keeper, and we desperately needed central mids.

I'm sure given time to train, get fit and adapt Langer & Avdijaj may have been good players next season but it wasn’t the time to lay foundations for next season during a relegation battle. It was time to bring in tried and tested, solid pros that could get us over the line. 

I hope Stendel stays though. I think he's a good coach. I just think he was maybe a touch arrogant about what he thought he could do straight away due to what he had achieved at Barnsley. I think he underestimated the challenge and Scottish football. However, he probably knows much more now than what he did and going forward I think his philosophy and coaching will benefit us. 

I honestly don't see the point in changing manager again. I think he deserves a clean slate next season. Give him time to build his team. If it doesn't work we're back to square one but it's not like we would be going from Neilson having us 1st,3rd,2nd to the lowlights of Cathro. We're starting from scratch anyway. 

I agree with most of what you say, except on Berra. Berra has been struggling since he came back from injury last season, he has not been the same player. Halkett has struggled badly and should have been dropped but we needed a replacement centre back, a loan signing would have probably been best.

I think January was tough because we were sitting at the bottom of the league, so it put off a lot of players. Had Stendel made a quick impact in December and got results against St Johnstone and Hamilton then I think January would have been different.

In retrospect, with word on here that Stendel wanted to come in the summer, I think that would have been better. 

Stendel did adapt but I think he has been let down by a lot of players. Some players I dont blame as much as I think their performances have come from being broken by the last year and a half. 

I hope as well Stendel stays, I think he can mold an exciting team but he didn't have the players for it. A restart of being in the Championship with his own players mixed with youngsters and a few experienced players and giving him the remit to get out and build it long term into a team that challenges for at least 3rd in the league. I would also bring in a Sporting director who can oversee all the non-first team side of the club. We need the football side of Hearts made as strong as possible. 

ford donald
1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

It came out right at the start of the shutdown that Stendel does not have a contract in the event of relegation.

Another concern is that his English wasn't great whilst he was here. In the interview he did a couple of weeks ago with Sky, he was almost incomprehensible... my money is 100% on Stendel never sitting in the Hearts dugout again.

Being bottom of the league is his watch,never mind give him more time , been through that with CL. He has changed a lot coaching wise,his tactics

match time have been poor I feel,he signed 3 players 2 duds and a loan player,not the manager for me,he had one good season at Barnsley other than that he has been a failure.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I agree with most of what you say, except on Berra. Berra has been struggling since he came back from injury last season, he has not been the same player. Halkett has struggled badly and should have been dropped but we needed a replacement centre back, a loan signing would have probably been best.

I think January was tough because we were sitting at the bottom of the league, so it put off a lot of players. Had Stendel made a quick impact in December and got results against St Johnstone and Hamilton then I think January would have been different.

In retrospect, with word on here that Stendel wanted to come in the summer, I think that would have been better. 

Stendel did adapt but I think he has been let down by a lot of players. Some players I dont blame as much as I think their performances have come from being broken by the last year and a half. 

I hope as well Stendel stays, I think he can mold an exciting team but he didn't have the players for it. A restart of being in the Championship with his own players mixed with youngsters and a few experienced players and giving him the remit to get out and build it long term into a team that challenges for at least 3rd in the league. I would also bring in a Sporting director who can oversee all the non-first team side of the club. We need the football side of Hearts made as strong as possible. 

Good response to a good post. I can’t see anyone else out there I would rather have tbh.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 hours ago, tightrope said:

Exactly where did I say we should spend our way to it?

Not settling. 

Not settling has got us into this situation created pressure and quick fixes that have gone wrong. 

TyphoonJambo
2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Good post. I take some reassurance in the doubt that DS would bring in trusted staff just to walk away at the first hurdle. 

Seymour M Hersh
16 hours ago, Morgan said:

How do you know he ‘just wants to go’?

He had wanshot at causing mischief and he's took it chief! 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

jamboinglasgow
50 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Good post. I take some reassurance in the doubt that DS would bring in trusted staff just to walk away at the first hurdle. 

Thats the way I see it. Plus I think its going to be a tougher time for staff in football out of work after this so it is better to be employed on a longer term contract. Add in if he leaves now, then he only has one good season as a manager which makes him less attractive to clubs. He is better making Hearts a good side again and then having that to add to his CV. 

Hagar the Horrible

O'Neill has just left job with NI........Stoke will go bust, get him in next

Edited by Hagar the Horrible

Midloth_Iain
15 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

O'Neill has just left job with NI........

job for Robinson ....

Hagar the Horrible
7 minutes ago, Ruud Krol said:

job for Robinson ....

Another for our target list, but could St J be looking for a new manager now instead?, with MoN going now rather than at the end of the EUROS I think its a 2 horse race with clubs struggling, countries wont have a national side go bust?  permanent job??

East Lothian Jambo
10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Berra was dire following his return from a dreadful injury.  It's a harsh thing to say but sadly the case. I do agree he wasn't helped by tactics Stendel sought to utilise 

I don't think Halkett is ever going to be good enough for us. Far too many mistakes have cost us dearly this season. Doesn't look fit, carrying excess weight and slow as a consequence 

Robinson picked the better of the pair in Declan Gallagher at doubtless a fraction of the cost. Therein lies the very essence of our predicament.  Shite recruitment when better is available and picked up by those around us for far less 

42 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

Berra was dire following his return from a dreadful injury.  It's a harsh thing to say but sadly the case. I do agree he wasn't helped by tactics Stendel sought to utilise 

I don't think Halkett is ever going to be good enough for us. Far too many mistakes have cost us dearly this season. Doesn't look fit, carrying excess weight and slow as a consequence 

Robinson picked the better of the pair in Declan Gallagher at doubtless a fraction of the cost. Therein lies the very essence of our predicament.  Shite recruitment when better is available and picked up by those around us for far less 

Still on about the same tripe?  Past tense.

Thread is about next manager. Future tense.

5 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

1 hour ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

Agree Glasgow. I think Stendel is the right man for the job. He just needs time. 

Without a doubt Berra hasn't been the same player but, I think he could have regained some form with Souttar beside him. He needed dropped, not launched from the club, he was club captain. It wasn't right. I think Halkett made him nervous tbh. 

Halkett's miles out of his depth at Hearts. He got done by David Vanecek last season playing for Livi. You could see it almost instantly after the first few games, he didn't have a clue how to defend in a back four without Lithgow and Gallagher holding his hand. 

You're right about that East, recruitment has been shambolic. I don't believe Halkett had ever been properly watched at all otherwise i don't think we would have signed him. Gallagher would have been the natural replacement for Berra as well.

As for Robinson. I''d have happily taken him at the time. I agree, he's done a fantastic job at Motherwell. The only thing about Robinson is he seems like an absolute shop front in dealing with people and his behaviour off the pitch. 

5 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Not settling. 

Not settling has got us into this situation created pressure and quick fixes that have gone wrong. 

Ok, you are right, I will now just come along and hope for a cheeky wee third or fourth place, a wee semi every other few years and a first qualifier knock out in Europe. As long as one of the arse cheeks are winning...will put my seasons order for the prawn sandwich in when we get back to normal.  I think you will find arseholes who can't run a football club got us into this situation. I'm not happy settling for that. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
59 minutes ago, tightrope said:

Ok, you are right, I will now just come along and hope for a cheeky wee third or fourth place, a wee semi every other few years and a first qualifier knock out in Europe. As long as one of the arse cheeks are winning...will put my seasons order for the prawn sandwich in when we get back to normal.  I think you will find arseholes who can't run a football club got us into this situation. I'm not happy settling for that. 

The arseholes that got us in the mess were trying to live up to expectations. 

Blame runs through all sections of the club without exception 

Scottie Wanshot.
23 hours ago, Morgan said:

How do you know he ‘just wants to go’?

because he does. hes not interested.

Scottie Wanshot.
22 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Pish.

I know were Pish, that's why we need a new manager that knows what's he doing.

Scottie Wanshot.
On 15/04/2020 at 19:42, East Lothian Jambo said:

11 points from 45 is hardly a record to shout about 

he hasn't a clue.

Scottie Wanshot.
On 15/04/2020 at 21:05, NlGHTMARE said:

Stendel needs time more than anything, your squads mentality was rotten to the core when he arrived, he’s managed to change your style of play, and make you more competitive and attractive to watch, which is the easy part, but without a full squad change, getting rid of the losing mentality was always going to be the most difficult part of his job, he’s trying to make in roads into it, but he’s desperate for some fresh blood, as well as needing more time and new players, he needs to spot his own mistakes and rectify them a lot quicker than he is doing at the moment, but he’s still an inexperienced coach really, so he needs time to learn unfortunately he doesn’t have it due to the position your clubs in at the moment. 

the fresh blood he's brought in are crap.

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

I know were Pish, that's why we need a new manager that knows what's he doing.

With the risk of going all J Al on you, who do you recommend?