Next manager.

Hans von Luck

David McCaig
5 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Two wins against Rangers and a very good away win versus Hibs gives me some hope.

Zero wins against bottom 6 sides using similar tactics to the sides in the Championship doesn't.

Ultimately his salary demands would be preposterous to manage a side in a division as woeful as the Championship... and if its played behind closed doors some sides will barely even be part time.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

• Cruyff

• Greedy Jambo

Jamboelite
1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

Zero wins against bottom 6 sides using similar tactics to the sides in the Championship doesn't.

Ultimately his salary demands would be preposterous to manage a side in a division as woeful as the Championship... and if its played behind closed doors some sides will barely even be part time.

Championship clubs arent the same as Hamilton and St Mirren. 

Attacking with pace and width was what destroyed teams in the Championship last time and i think that would suit DS to be honest.

David McCaig
1 minute ago, Jamboelite said:

Championship clubs arent the same as Hamilton and St Mirren. 

Attacking with pace and width was what destroyed teams in the Championship last time and i think that would suit DS to be honest.

We were very very solid defensively in the Championship last time around and the width came from natural wingers.

Stendel's preference is for the width to come from the full backs which is a dream come true for sides defending in depth and relying on the counter attack.

The Rangers league match was the only game we won as a result of Stendel's kamikaze tactics.  The Rangers Cup and Hibs wins were both the result of playing an old school 442 with defenders defending.

Stendel is probably one of the few Managers who could come up with a tactical masterplan to screw up the Championship.

30 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

There's actually plenty of room for error in the Championship.  Any Manager doing his job properly wins that division by 30 points.

Having room for error is what got us into this mess in the first place. We’ll have a massive advantage over the other teams in the Championship in terms of resources. If DS were not to equal or surpass the job that Robbie did then he should be shown the door.

16 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Two wins against Rangers and a very good away win versus Hibs gives me some hope.

Fair enough and probably our home draw against Aberdeen, but 2nd best against the rest.

David McCaig
1 minute ago, S Form said:

Having room for error is what got us into this mess in the first place. We’ll have a massive advantage over the other teams in the Championship in terms of resources. If DS were not to equal or surpass the job that Robbie did then he should be shown the door.

Thats what I'm saying, simply winning the Championship is no achievement whatsoever.

And Robbie is very much the benchmark and that was in a division containing Rangers and Hibs.

David McCaig
Just now, MTS1874 said:

Fair enough and probably our home draw against Aberdeen, but 2nd best against the rest.

2nd best against teams adopting the tactics which will be used by every single Championship side.

6 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Thats what I'm saying, simply winning the Championship is no achievement whatsoever.

And Robbie is very much the benchmark and that was in a division containing Rangers and Hibs.

👍

13 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Im a fat useless *******, source my wife. Who's wife knows most 🤔

😂😂😂😂

12 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Who needs Google, my wife knows everything...🤨

They all do mate. 😂

I’m at a loss with this one. 

cant see DS wanting to stay or club willing to pay but we won’t be in a position to release him.

Anyway, if he was to go I’m not sure Hartley would fill me with confidence. Robbo, a little bit of better option but still not sure.

I think Robbie Nielson has unfinished business here. But would he swap clubs and sacrifice his work? No. 

Personally I think we’ll struggle. Maybe we’ll see Andy Kirk making a step up? 

8 minutes ago, Zen Jambo said:

cant see DS wanting to stay or club willing to pay but we won’t be in a position to release him.

Anyway, if he was to go I’m not sure Hartley would fill me with confidence. Robbo, a little bit of better option but still not sure.

I think Robbie Nielson has unfinished business here. But would he swap clubs and sacrifice his work? No. 

I think DS will leave.  Robbo with Naismith as player/assistant for me.  We will need to get out of the Championship at the first time of asking.  

1 minute ago, Deevers said:

I think DS will leave.  Robbo with Naismith as player/assistant for me.  We will need to get out of the Championship at the first time of asking.  

I missed the various call for Naismith to be involved. That’s a good shout.

Certainly need to steamroll the Championship, take no prisoners and claim a few scalps in the cups to. 

4 minutes ago, Zen Jambo said:

I missed the various call for Naismith to be involved. That’s a good shout.

Certainly need to steamroll the Championship, take no prisoners and claim a few scalps in the cups to. 

Apart from the management side of things the back room needs a complete shake up as well. Our scouting system is absolutely dire.  That has to change.

Stendel romped League One with Barnsley when they were relegated. Key there and here is time to recruit and coach players to his style.

I doubt he'll be here though and if so, see no issue with Robbo getting the job. He has had ICT punching above their weight in the Championship and likes to play attacking football. Would be confident of getting up no bother with him in charge.

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Stendel romped League One with Barnsley when they were relegated. Key there and here is time to recruit and coach players to his style.

I doubt he'll be here though and if so, see no issue with Robbo getting the job. He has had ICT punching above their weight in the Championship and likes to play attacking football. Would be confident of getting up no bother with him in charge.

The first point in your post is what most of us who have concerns regarding Stendel have highlighted.By all account his own signings for Barnsley were poor (Bahre etc) from his short time with us Langer and Advijaj are both extremely poor.

What we cant afford is to throw more cash at building a whole new squad of dross.

Now somebody like Stephen Robinson who has a proven track record of signing players and selling them on or moving to a better club/league would top my list.

Although I have a feeling Robbo will be our manager come the restart of football.For me Robbo got overlooked at Hearts as the image that Craig Levein created for himself as some sort of visionary meant that there was no room for any other characters.Now people on this forum have digs at Locke however as a coach he was top notch who has a great rapport with players.Again overlooked by Levein and told to make the tea,we need some good guys on our management team.

The soul of this club has been lost on guys like Macphee,Daly and Fox etc,yes they can tell us how big a club we are but they dont get it.

I always remember Robbo saying Jim Jefferies gave fans "Their Hearts back"

Badly needed again.

1 hour ago, Zen Jambo said:

We ARE in a position to release him. Stendel himself has confirmed the relegation release clause is available to both parties.

pettigrewsstylist
On 13/05/2020 at 09:35, MTS1874 said:

I’ve seen nothing from Stendel that fills me with confidence for next season. 

Or justifies a war chest, because he will demand one to sign new contract.

pettigrewsstylist
58 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

The first point in your post is what most of us who have concerns regarding Stendel have highlighted.By all account his own signings for Barnsley were poor (Bahre etc) from his short time with us Langer and Advijaj are both extremely poor.

What we cant afford is to throw more cash at building a whole new squad of dross.

Now somebody like Stephen Robinson who has a proven track record of signing players and selling them on or moving to a better club/league would top my list.

Although I have a feeling Robbo will be our manager come the restart of football.For me Robbo got overlooked at Hearts as the image that Craig Levein created for himself as some sort of visionary meant that there was no room for any other characters.Now people on this forum have digs at Locke however as a coach he was top notch who has a great rapport with players.Again overlooked by Levein and told to make the tea,we need some good guys on our management team.

The soul of this club has been lost on guys like Macphee,Daly and Fox etc,yes they can tell us how big a club we are but they dont get it.

Badly needed again.

Yip. This.

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Badly needed again.

If Stendel leaves, and im undecided as i think that he could improve us but we probably cant afford him and his team, id go for Robbo with Lockey and bust a gut to get JJ as DoF. 

On 12/05/2020 at 23:36, S Form said:

If DS stays he must be made aware that we expect to win every game we play in the Championship  and that if that’s not happening he’s out on his arse. It seems some people are happy simply to give him time because he’s not Craig Levein. Bugger that - it’s exactly the problem we had with Levein, ie he was indulged.

There’s no room for error. We must get back up first time.

I think expecting any manager to win every game is a bit harsh no matter who they are!!

Badly needed again.

Liam Fox and his family are massive Hearts fans so I'm pretty sure he "gets it", the other two I agree with.

pettigrewsstylist
On 13/05/2020 at 09:39, David McCaig said:

There's actually plenty of room for error in the Championship.  Any Manager doing his job properly wins that division by 30 points.

Hopefully we can identify one to do so.

1 hour ago, Flimsy said:

We ARE in a position to release him. Stendel himself has confirmed the relegation release clause is available to both parties.

I MUST have missed that. 

Badly needed again.

Was it not the transfer policy of the board in the Championship that hampered Stendel there?

Our January recruitment was mixed (Sibbick from limited games seemed a good signing).

January is a hard window to operate in so jury out for me on that. 

Agree with your last paragraph. We badly need that connection with the fans and players when we do come back.

David McCaig
6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

A club of our standing even having a relegation clause for a manager actually beggars belief. 

An utter embarrassment. 

Although when you are 2nd bottom of the League and appoint a man who has just been sacked from the bottom club in the Championship having not won any of his last 13 games, its probably quite prudent.

Its the appointing him in the first place part which beggars belief!!

59 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

I think expecting any manager to win every game is a bit harsh no matter who they are!!

Not really. Here in Scotland Celtic expect to win every game, apart, perhaps when they play Rangers. There will be no team in the Championship that has anywhere near our resources, so expecting to win every game isn’t outrageous. That’s not to say we will win every one, but eight or nine out of ten is not a stretch target.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Redhelen said:

Its the blind arrogance of fans. I think there should be a view that we have the potential to win the league easily with the difference in resources, but I would rather focus first on winning the Championship rather then talk that you should be winning every game. Its pointless pressure to put on a manager to say you should win every game.

Leveins Battalion
3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

A club of our standing even having a relegation clause for a manager actually beggars belief. 

An utter embarrassment. 

Maybe a shrewd move just now?

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

An utter embarrassment. 

I believe Stendel wanted the clause as well.  Yes/No?

David McCaig
3 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Its the blind arrogance of fans. I think there should be a view that we have the potential to win the league easily with the difference in resources, but I would rather focus first on winning the Championship rather then talk that you should be winning every game. Its pointless pressure to put on a manager to say you should win every game.

We aren’t going to win 36 from 36, but the benchmark has to be what Robbie achieved in a far far stronger Championship.

It’s hard to under-estimate just how awful the standard of the Championship is.  A dreadful Dundee United are winning it by a country mile.

23 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

My daughter reckons most clubs have them....

So why then is it an embarrassment?

People wanting to replace Stendel with Hartley, Robbo or player coach in Naismith 🙈🙈🙈. He has had to work with the single worst hearts squad I’ve ever seen assembled, with the worst attitude towards the club I think we have ever had in our history, as we’ve seen with them refusing to bend with the wage cuts. The players where that useless that he had to spend time actual showing defenders how to stay in a straight line with each other. He also had to deal with the horrendous treatment from the press and had the weird, strange situation of having the sacked manager and assistant still walking the corridors. Yes He’s made mistakes, as you’d expect from anyone new coming into the league, he currently has the same record in 2020 as Pep Ross over the road. He’s beaten Rangers twice and scudded the vermin 3-1 on their own patch. He’ll be unbelievable if allowed to rid the place of the crap and build his own squad. 

Agentjambo
4 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

People wanting to replace Stendel with Hartley, Robbo or player coach in Naismith 🙈🙈🙈. He has had to work with the single worst hearts squad I’ve ever seen assembled, with the worst attitude towards the club I think we have ever had in our history, as we’ve seen with them refusing to bend with the wage cuts. The players where that useless that he had to spend time actual showing defenders how to stay in a straight line with each other. He also had to deal with the horrendous treatment from the press and had the weird, strange situation of having the sacked manager and assistant still walking the corridors. Yes He’s made mistakes, as you’d expect from anyone new coming into the league, he currently has the same record in 2020 as Pep Ross over the road. He’s beaten Rangers twice and scudded the vermin 3-1 on their own patch. He’ll be unbelievable if allowed to rid the place of the crap and build his own squad. 

I cant see why people want rid of stendel...as you say he was dropped into a shitstorm caused by Levein, with a very poor squad which had the football beaten out of them by levein. He has to be given time to bring in his own players and mould his own team.chopping and changing managers every now and again is as harming to the club as holding on to levein for such a long time was.We need stability, and I think with stendel forfeiting his full wage in these times,shows he gets hearts and likes it here.Give him more time.

Clerry Jambo

Caught the end of JJ's live Q&A chat last night, and he was asked about going back to the club in any role. i got the impression he would love to help the club in any way he could.

4 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

I cant see why people want rid of stendel...as you say he was dropped into a shitstorm caused by Levein, with a very poor squad which had the football beaten out of them by levein. He has to be given time to bring in his own players and mould his own team.chopping and changing managers every now and again is as harming to the club as holding on to levein for such a long time was.We need stability, and I think with stendel forfeiting his full wage in these times,shows he gets hearts and likes it here.Give him more time.

Yip. Without turning it into a blame everything on Levein, Stendel has made mistakes as well. He should’ve dropped Joel, he should love tightened up the formation quicker, I get all that. He has done decent with what he was left with and when we’ve clicked we’ve played the best football I’ve seen from Hearts since Burley. I am 100% in the Stendel camp. He seems to get us. 

Just now, busby1985 said:

Yip. Without turning it into a blame everything on Levein, Stendel has made mistakes as well. He should’ve dropped Joel, he should love tightened up the formation quicker, I get all that. He has done decent with what he was left with and when we’ve clicked we’ve played the best football I’ve seen from Hearts since Burley. I am 100% in the Stendel camp. He seems to get us. 

Think he tried to change things too quickly

Agentjambo
1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

Me too,I like him and I'm sure if given time he will turn us around and have us playing decent football when we return to the premiership. 

Hagar the Horrible

I think he is gone,  from the 1st June we will need a new manager, and with Lady Macbeth not fighting the spfl, we will be in the Championship, provided there is enough clubs alive to play in that? 

Not sure who I want?  I wont be bothered if stendel stays or not, his style of football will work a league down and should be enough parctice if there is aleague in the future

Cant see who will want to come to us, we are on a downward spiral, partly of our own making, but with a massive helping of the other clubs.

4 hours ago, Costanza said:

Was it not the transfer policy of the board in the Championship that hampered Stendel there?

Our January recruitment was mixed (Sibbick from limited games seemed a good signing).

January is a hard window to operate in so jury out for me on that. 

Agree with your last paragraph. We badly need that connection with the fans and players when we do come back.

He was great for us getting promotion. I posted a link to to a Dale Tonge interview last week, bearing in mind he barely spoke a word of English when he arrived Daniel really shook things up. We lost 4 key players and had a lot of new ones to integrate into a tougher division. Tellingly all the 3 promoted teams are at the bottom as it stands . I think if he'd been backed we'd have been tighter in defence and hence drawn say the game against Leeds early on where we more than matched them. 

However I think to be successful at Hearts he will need to be backed 8n his approach and the players will need to have a can do attitude and be willing to learn. 

24 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Think he tried to change things too quickly

It was needed. I think he thought the players at least knew the basics and could carry out simple instructions. He didn’t expect a revolt because he made players train haha. 

I worry that you are going to end up as a Sunderland if you expect to walk the league without fundamental changes. They like you had players that werent prepared to roll their sleeves up to  stay in the division. As an outsider I can see a lot of similarities,  players on good contracts that then think they dont need to graft, that they can turn up to matches and expect to win cos their Hearts.

Agentjambo
5 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

I worry that you are going to end up as a Sunderland if you expect to walk the league without fundamental changes. They like you had players that werent prepared to roll their sleeves up to  stay in the division. As an outsider I can see a lot of similarities,  players on good contracts that then think they dont need to graft, that they can turn up to matches and expect to win cos their Hearts.

We never done a Sunderland last time.

1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I think he is gone,  from the 1st June we will need a new manager, and with Lady Macbeth not fighting the spfl, we will be in the Championship, provided there is enough clubs alive to play in that? 

Not sure who I want?  I wont be bothered if stendel stays or not, his style of football will work a league down and should be enough parctice if there is aleague in the future

Cant see who will want to come to us, we are on a downward spiral, partly of our own making, but with a massive helping of the other clubs.

If she waits 6 weeks to do countless interviews we are done.. identify a target and get him... it’s not difficult, hundreds of clubs do it every season 

Her total lack of football knowledge will come back to bite us on the backside if and when Stendel leaves

Edited by jbee647

18 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

The teams up here in lower leagues are really poor unlike down south were some of lower league teams are good 

jamboinglasgow
15 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

We never done a Sunderland last time.

But we were helped by having a small amount of players, mainly youngsters when we went down. Allowed us to rebuild a team properly. This time we need to clear out players, but I fear it wont be as easy especially with a bleak job market for players may mean they are reluctant to move. 

Agentjambo
8 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

But we were helped by having a small amount of players, mainly youngsters when we went down. Allowed us to rebuild a team properly. This time we need to clear out players, but I fear it wont be as easy especially with a bleak job market for players may mean they are reluctant to move. 

Win win then,we either have a clear out and bring in players that can do the job or dont and the players we have are good enough to win the championship.