Next manager.

Hans von Luck

On 23/04/2020 at 16:35, Space Pirate said:

How do you train for high press attacking football on your own? 😂

You’ll amazed at how many different ways their are to train, I once sat in my car at 04.30 one morning waiting for the paper shop to open watching a boxer sprint from one lamp post to another, then walk to the next, then jog to then next, turn round and go again, he did this for the full half hour I was there, a millionaire with access to the best training facilities in the country, and he’s running up and down a high street in Rotherham at 04.30 in a morning. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

• Cruyff

• Greedy Jambo

4 minutes ago, maggieb said:

I’d love Daniel to stay but just noticed alan pardew is available,Hammer fan comments please?

Drugs are for mugs.

23 minutes ago, maggieb said:

I’d love Daniel to stay but just noticed alan pardew is available,Hammer fan comments please?

No thanks.

22 minutes ago, maggieb said:

Hammer fan comments please?

Bobby Moore, Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst won the World Cup for West Ham.

That ok, Mags?  :wink: 

My not be popular on here but combo of Robbo and Terry McCann will see us going in the right direction 

ps nothing against Stendel just not the right time or place 

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Bobby Moore, Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst won the World Cup for West Ham.

That ok, Mags?  :wink: 

Ah Morgan ,you plum , thanks anyway x

portobellojambo1
On 25/04/2020 at 11:06, David McCaig said:

All that says is he has an option to leave if we get relegated, it doesn't say he will walk away. Just like players I would reckon managers, who are on reasonable length contracts could well be inclined to stick with what they have at the moment. Just a thought, but I accept I really don't know if he will stay or not.

Edited by portobellojambo1

2 minutes ago, maggieb said:

Ah Morgan ,you plum , thanks anyway x

How’re you doing, Mags?

Good, I hope?

6 minutes ago, pointon said:

My not be popular on here but combo of Robbo and Terry McCann will see us going in the right direction 

Robbo?  :sadrobbo:  Definitely.

Wee Terry?  Not so.

If we are in the Championship next season I'd like to see Naismith as manager and Berra restored to captain. 

26 minutes ago, Morgan said:

How’re you doing, Mags?

Good, I hope?

All good here Captain so far, out of France for a while but back soon , you ok down there?

I don't think a Scottish manager can do much in Scottish football. There isn't any quality. Arguably the highest quality manager we could get is Robbo, and I'm struggling to get excited about the prospect of that. No one we could have appointed would have turned things around. I think all of them are too abrasive and wouldn't have been able to get a tune out of these petulant losers.  Robbo may have tbf but I'm not sure. 

What do we want out of our manager? 

- Play attractive winning football

- Promote youth

- Passion

Stendel is very passionate and did give youth a chance. Moore went from a nothing winger to bagging an assist against Rangers. A much improved player. We saw Stendels vision come to fruition in the bigger games, but obviously the weaker opposition he fell short in. In 2019 we won 6 out of 38 games. This isn't a team with a winning philosophy. Changing that takes time, Leveins negativity essentially neutered Sean Clare, ruined Cochrane and McDonald. God knows what the rest of the damage is to the players mentality. 

Levein has failed to improve any players beyond maybe Souttar? In 6 months Stendel has breathed life into Moore and Henderson's careers. I'm confident with a full preseason and a chance to chase these wasters in our first team away Stendel could have us playing really good football competing at the right end of the table. 

26 minutes ago, Section Q said:

If we are in the Championship next season I'd like to see Naismith as manager and Berra restored to captain. 

If Daniel goes ? Or would that be your first choice for Naisy to take the manager role ? 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

I don't think a Scottish manager can do much in Scottish football. There isn't any quality. Arguably the highest quality manager we could get is Robbo, and I'm struggling to get excited about the prospect of that. No one we could have appointed would have turned things around. I think all of them are too abrasive and wouldn't have been able to get a tune out of these petulant losers.  Robbo may have tbf but I'm not sure. 

- Promote youth

- Passion

Stendel is very passionate and did give youth a chance. Moore went from a nothing winger to bagging an assist against Rangers. A much improved player. We saw Stendels vision come to fruition in the bigger games, but obviously the weaker opposition he fell short in. In 2019 we won 6 out of 38 games. This isn't a team with a winning philosophy. Changing that takes time, Leveins negativity essentially neutered Sean Clare, ruined Cochrane and McDonald. God knows what the rest of the damage is to the players mentality. 

Levein has failed to improve any players beyond maybe Souttar? In 6 months Stendel has breathed life into Moore and Henderson's careers. I'm confident with a full preseason and a chance to chase these wasters in our first team away Stendel could have us playing really good football competing at the right end of the table. 

Promote youth. ✔️

Attacking football ✔️

Passion ✔️

Don't care about attractive. I like defenders to defend and I like wingers, a targetman and a poacher. Simple shit, get it forward, get it wide, get crosses in, have shots from outside the box. It's not rocket science. 

34 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

All that says is he has an option to leave if we get relegated, it doesn't say he will walk away. Just like players I would reckon managers, who are on reasonable length contracts could well be inclined to stick with what they have at the moment. Just a thought, but I accept I really don't know if he will stay or not.

He was one of the first that I’d heard give , the money in these circumstances doesn’t matter, I’m hoping Mr Naismith and Mr Stendel have become bosom buddies in lockdown and carry us forward , fingers crossed 🤞🏻 

6 minutes ago, OTT said:

- Promote youth

- Passion

My genuine fear is that the losing mentality is so ingrained within the club and players that I really fear we will struggle to come back up

I like Daniel Stendel as a guy, but fear his gegenpress style of football will be totally unsuitable in the championship 

Edited by jbee647

Lonewolflins

Stendel is a disaster ,any half decent manager would of had us up the league with the amount of games he had , and a window . Hope he leaves along with the rest of the shite we have . 

11 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

If Daniel goes ? Or would that be your first choice for Naisy to take the manager role ? 

Either way would be fine. Berra could still do a decent job if he was in the Championship. Stendel seems a decent guy but starting to think he just can't improve us. Naisy would thrive as first team coach and if we go down it would be an ideal chance for him to cut his teeth. "Cometh the hour and all that.....?"

mellors1874
12 hours ago, Section Q said:

so that any striker with pace can rip berra a new one he's done 

2 hours ago, mellors1874 said:

so that any striker with pace can rip berra a new one he's done 

Berra managed to steady Dundee and he'd do a decent job if fit.

mellors1874
7 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Berra managed to steady Dundee and he'd do a decent job if fit.

he was utter gash for hearts for a long period of time we need to look to younger and players with pace for next season whatever league we are in 

16 hours ago, maggieb said:

All good here Captain so far, out of France for a while but back soon , you ok down there?

Aye, right as rain, Mags.

Can’t wait for the 11th of May.

I don't think Stendel will be with us whenever next season starts, and on his record he doesn't deserve to be. If he goes, I don't get why some people want a completely inexperienced manger like Naismith, who'd be another huge gamble. All managerial appointments are a risk, but it'd be much less risky to go for someone like Hartley, Holt, Robinson or Robbo, who have shown they know how to organise teams and motivate players. They have also learned some painful lessons along the way. I don't think we really need another bold or brave appointment at this stage, we need to give ourselves the best chance of getting our sh*t together as a football team.

22 hours ago, Lonewolflins said:

Stendel is a disaster ,any half decent manager would of had us up the league with the amount of games he had , and a window . Hope he leaves along with the rest of the shite we have . 

You did recognise when writing this, the injuries in the team he took on ,or his failed multimillion pound signings?

1 hour ago, tynewater said:

I don't think Stendel will be with us whenever next season starts, and on his record he doesn't deserve to be. If he goes, I don't get why some people want a completely inexperienced manger like Naismith, who'd be another huge gamble. All managerial appointments are a risk, but it'd be much less risky to go for someone like Hartley, Holt, Robinson or Robbo, who have shown they know how to organise teams and motivate players. They have also learned some painful lessons along the way. I don't think we really need another bold or brave appointment at this stage, we need to give ourselves the best chance of getting our sh*t together as a football team.

That's the way to stabilise the club...keep changing the manager every 5 minutes. 

1 hour ago, maggieb said:

Is that your birthday 🍰?

No, you silly sausage, it’s the date that some of the lockdown restrictions get lifted here.  Basically, when we go into de-containment.  To a certain degree!

Won’t be holding our breath though for anything too dramatic, restaurants, bars and beaches will be off limits until at least mid-June.  :sad: 

Guest ToqueJambo
On 28/04/2020 at 14:46, jbee647 said:

My genuine fear is that the losing mentality is so ingrained within the club and players that I really fear we will struggle to come back up

I like Daniel Stendel as a guy, but fear his gegenpress style of football will be totally unsuitable in the championship 

This (although disagree about staying down - it’ll be the weakest championship probably ever considering how financially hamstrung teams will be). The Championship is where Premiership teams send their youths to toughen them up. The best approach is what Neilson did - sign players who are all a cut above most championship players, make your team the fittest in the league, and focus on possession football.

Training the team to press when most games we’ll have most of the ball is completely the wrong approach. Teams will combat it the way hamilton, st mirren and co did and punt and run. There are no teams in the championship who will try to play football against us.

I like Stendel and would like to see what he can do with his own team in the Prem but I don’t think he’d suit it, or be up for it. In any case we can release him if relegated which is likely considering his wages.

Edited by ToqueJambo

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

This (although disagree about staying down - it’ll be the weakest championship probably ever considering how financially hamstrung teams will be). The Championship is where Premiership teams send their youths to toughen them up. The best approach is what Neilson did - sign players who are all a cut above most championship players, make your team the fittest in the league, and focus on possession football.

Training the team to press when most games we’ll have most of the ball is completely the wrong approach. Teams will combat it the way hamilton, st mirren and co did and punt and run. There are no teams in the championship who will try to play football against us.

I like Stendel and would like to see what he can do with his own team in the Prem but I don’t think he’d suit it, or be up for it. In any case we can release him if relegated which is likely considering his wages.

Spot on but I think DS was adapting to that idea before lockdown

As you say in your first paragrapgh we  should have enough players who are "a cut above" and I would expect us to be fitter than most as well.

JamboJohn80

I would like to see someone appointed who could bring some passion back to the dressing room, something that’s been missing for sometime now. Maybe a Neil Warnock type character??

Edited by JamboJohn80

On 28/04/2020 at 21:36, maggieb said:

Wouldn’t tow the line when we get shafted by OF supporting refs. He’s very vocal. Understood the history at West Ham and signed some decent players.

Dont think he’d ever come up here

23 hours ago, tynewater said:

1. Loved him as a player. Done  hee haw as a manager

2. By all accounts not the brains behind Livvy

3. Annoying, whiney prick

4. Would hate to see him tarnish his reputation. Has, rightfully legend status.

If Stendel goes, and I have a feeling he is staying Id like someone with no previous connection to the club and no fear of the ugly sisters 

Edited by Jamhammer

7 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Wouldn’t tow the line when we get shafted by OF supporting refs. He’s very vocal. Understood the history at West Ham and signed some decent players.

Dont think he’d ever come up here

I didn’t know jack about Den Haag , had a look , 15k capacity and all the signings have been relatively low,free or loans , sounds like a step up coming here, obviously been stepping down for a while JH , I kinda like the thought he would step in here

Jamhammer
14 hours ago, maggieb said:

I didn’t know jack about Den Haag , had a look , 15k capacity and all the signings have been relatively low,free or loans , sounds like a step up coming here, obviously been stepping down for a while JH , I kinda like the thought he would step in here

We could certainly do worse. 

pettigrewsstylist

Think we should pull the pin while the option exists. Results and performances over the piece were awful.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Does Stendel have only plan A one way of playing the "gegenpress"? 

Does a successful winning team in Scotland need more than one way of playing? 

Has Stendel been given a fair chance to get us up the table? 

Hearts1975
On 30/04/2020 at 07:05, tynewater said:

Here’s hoping whoever the next manager is, and given some of the names you have suggested, is given longer than 3 months, doesn’t inherit a shit squad, bereft of confidence, and turns it around instantly 

Otherwise, you will want him binned as well. Reversing decline isn’t an instantaneous thing. You might do well to remember this 👍

Hearts1975
On 30/04/2020 at 08:38, Agentjambo said:

That's the way to stabilise the club...keep changing the manager every 5 minutes. 

100%

Hearts1975

Levein got 3 years, which was far too long before being removed 

Stendel has had 3 months which is far too short 

Somewhere in the middle but probably more toward a year and if performances aren’t where they should be then change should be considered 

if we take the view collectively that within 3 months (given what he inherited) we get rid of someone in that time, it is far too soon to pull the trigger given that there is every chance that something good would still have happened with that manager.

If, in a year, nothing has changed then the likliehood is that it will never change. Nothing wrong with considering change at that point

Don’t necessarily think this would apply to 3 months. That is knee jerk mentality and short term thinking through and through 

If we are demoted  Which looks like the likely outcome Stendel would have to take a hefty wage cut to remain  here

Horatio Caine

BBC gossip reporting that DS is `relaxed` about his position and is just waiting to see which division we will be playing in.

8 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Levein got 3 years, which was far too long before being removed 

Stendel has had 3 months which is far too short 

Somewhere in the middle but probably more toward a year and if performances aren’t where they should be then change should be considered 

if we take the view collectively that within 3 months (given what he inherited) we get rid of someone in that time, it is far too soon to pull the trigger given that there is every chance that something good would still have happened with that manager.

If, in a year, nothing has changed then the likliehood is that it will never change. Nothing wrong with considering change at that point

Don’t necessarily think this would apply to 3 months. That is knee jerk mentality and short term thinking through and through 

I don't think there is any single formula that can be said to be right.

Any club appointing a manager has to make a judgment which will vary according to who is available and only history/hindisght will determine whether that judgment was correct.  If we got SAF in his prime, however unlikely, it would be foolish to even offer him a contract of less than 3 years whereas with newer and less experienced managers 1 or 2 years would be more appropriate to allow them to prove themselves.  If they are doing well we can always renegotiate to extend.

On 28/04/2020 at 22:00, pointon said:

Probably agree with this. Don’t think Daniel’s principles would suit the championship, but I do appreciate his efforts to change us from an ultra negative side. 

Hearts1975
4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I don't think there is any single formula that can be said to be right.

Any club appointing a manager has to make a judgment which will vary according to who is available and only history/hindisght will determine whether that judgment was correct.  If we got SAF in his prime, however unlikely, it would be foolish to even offer him a contract of less than 3 years whereas with newer and less experienced managers 1 or 2 years would be more appropriate to allow them to prove themselves.  If they are doing well we can always renegotiate to extend.

I agree with most of that Tbf. Your right. However, CL is certainly not SAF and I still don’t believe we have yet to see the best of Stendel. I am not saying it’s clear cut. There were indications he was struggling as much as there was indications he was making us better. 

I think the main issue was consistency but I still believe the consistency issue was more relevant to what he inherited as opposed to what he was doing with the squad 

You say a year to 2 years. That’s certainly the maximum that you would offer a relatively inexperienced manager. 

3 months and given the situation we were in, for me, is far to soon to be pulling the trigger. It’s just my opinion. 

Right or wrong, No one really knows the circumstances around his contract. I keep hearing if we get demoted he will be gone. I personally think this is down to personal opinion rather than fact based analysis 

Leveins Battalion

Sooner or later we will get lucky with a manager.I like Stendel and he seems a genuine and honest guy.

He needs support though,he's openly admitted he has no experience of signing players.It is imperative that we overhaul our whole scouting and recruitment department regardless of who takes us forward.

That £4 million spent by CL on the youth system might start to produce also,although as he was involved I wouldn't hold my breath.

2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Sooner or later we will get lucky with a manager.I like Stendel and he seems a genuine and honest guy.

He needs support though,he's openly admitted he has no experience of signing players.It is imperative that we overhaul our whole scouting and recruitment department regardless of who takes us forward.

That £4 million spent by CL on the youth system might start to produce also,although as he was involved I wouldn't hold my breath.

This. 

I think if Stendel is going to stay and he is committed long term then we need a complete overhaul. 

We need a Sporting Director, New Recruitment both at First Team & Youth Level, and we need to change to Academy playing philosophy away from Leveins 5 principles of play pish. 

Stendel should get complete control of everything and delegate his Sporting Director to implement those changes. 

30 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

I agree with most of that Tbf. Your right. However, CL is certainly not SAF and I still don’t believe we have yet to see the best of Stendel. I am not saying it’s clear cut. There were indications he was struggling as much as there was indications he was making us better. 

I think the main issue was consistency but I still believe the consistency issue was more relevant to what he inherited as opposed to what he was doing with the squad 

You say a year to 2 years. That’s certainly the maximum that you would offer a relatively inexperienced manager. 

3 months and given the situation we were in, for me, is far to soon to be pulling the trigger. It’s just my opinion. 

Right or wrong, No one really knows the circumstances around his contract. I keep hearing if we get demoted he will be gone. I personally think this is down to personal opinion rather than fact based analysis 

I was talking in general terms about a new manager and didn't seek to compare CL, or indeed anyone else, with SAF.

As regards the idea of a year to two years, a lot of managers may not see a job as attractive if it's short term especially if they're having to up sticks with their families.  We need to get the best available at the particular time and sometimes that means we may have to dance to their tune.  It would be a travesty if we passed up the opportunity of getting a good manager simply because we were too inflexible about the length of the contract