Next manager.

Hans von Luck

1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

You have to consider that the January window is the worst window for player availability. Coupled with that we were already way over our player budget when he came in.

given consideration to the above, we got Boyce and Sibbick. We keep Boyce, get Sibbick on another loan, full Pre season and settling in time they could potentially be 2 of our best players. That’s a fact.

Langer and The kosovan boy - you could argue other wise. But budget constraints and all that. He had to make big decisions on who to ship out before even signing anyone IE Whelan and Berra. I think it was a very difficult transfer window for him and in respect of the choices of player that he could pick from 

I really don’t think Stendel has done any worse with bringing in players that any of his recent predecessors has, and given the amount of players we have turned over in recent years. 

No that is fair enough. Sibbick did show something in those few performances (was it 2?)  that he may have something. Langer looked poor and Avidji (sp) appears to be totally the wrong type of player for us.  Ah well, time will tell. If he stays he will have myfull support. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

• Cruyff

• Greedy Jambo

5 minutes ago, Jocam2325 said:

Good for you mate

No need for the snippy answer other than knowing you’re wrong. 

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

No need for the snippy answer other than knowing you’re wrong. 

From the guy who just called my opinion ridiculous.  Having a different opinion does not make me wrong nor does it make you right.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

This is where I'm at.

You also need to look at how we've generally started matches. I mean literally the first 5 or 6 minutes. For me, that can show a managers message.

Even in games that have gone tits up, we've started well. Hamilton and Killie spring to mind. We started on front foot then lost silly goals which deflated us. St J we totally hammered them for 45 mins. Like dominated them.

The players have made individual errors, we've not had much break of the ball, and we've not reacted well to adversity. It has also felt a bit like every error has led to a goal. Like every time a team gets a chance they score (cheers Joel!).

Other than playing Joel, I don't put much of this at Dan's door

Agree with all that. 

I do think in most of our games we started well, our biggest problem was that we couldn't score. Stendels first game was one where we were all over St Johnstone for most of that match but could not finish, St Johnstone get their chance and score from it. Hamilton away was the same but with two bad mistakes. 

Something that has gone under the radar was how the team was able to fight back. Kilmarnock we almost went from 3-0 down to 3-3 in 15 mins, after we have shot ourselves in the foot badly. Hamilton again was a dodgy offside and another mistake then we got 2 back. We came from behind to beat Rangers.

Individual errors destroyed us this season as you point out. Sort that out and the season would have been very different.

Just now, Jocam2325 said:

From the guy who just called my opinion ridiculous.  Having a different opinion does not make me wrong nor does it make you right.

You think the way for a club of hearts size to compete against the likes of Hamilton or st mirren is to get someone with knowledge of the Scottish game. I shouldn’t have called your opinion ridiculous but surely there’s nothing special or distinct about the Scottish game that needs this? Stendel hasn’t been a success so far but that doesn’t mean we should narrow our search for a manager to people who know a lot about our game. 

Apologies if I caused offence btw I wasn’t having a go at you in particular. I just disagree that we should go down the same tired route of every club outside the old firm  of appointing guys who know the game here inside out. Stendel had 17 games and inherited an unfit, overpaid and unmotivated squad. That shouldn’t mean we don’t look at foreign managers.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

You think the way for a club of hearts size to compete against the likes of Hamilton or st mirren is to get someone with knowledge of the Scottish game. I shouldn’t have called your opinion ridiculous but surely there’s nothing special or distinct about the Scottish game that needs this? Stendel hasn’t been a success so far but that doesn’t mean we should narrow our search for a manager to people who know a lot about our game. 

Apologies if I caused offence btw I wasn’t having a go at you in particular. I just disagree that we should go down the same tired route of every club outside the old firm  of appointing guys who know the game here inside out. Stendel had 17 games and inherited an unfit, overpaid and unmotivated squad. That shouldn’t mean we don’t look at foreign managers.

No offence taken. If he stays, which I doubt unless common sense breaks out re which league we will compete in, then he will have my full support. 

Cheers

Hearts1975
15 minutes ago, Jocam2325 said:

No that is fair enough. Sibbick did show something in those few performances (was it 2?)  that he may have something. Langer looked poor and Avidji (sp) appears to be totally the wrong type of player for us.  Ah well, time will tell. If he stays he will have myfull support. 

Yes. Think it was 2. Sure his last game was against Rangers at Tynie before he fell ill.

Thought his reading of the game and overall performance that day was excellent. I wouldn’t say he is a brilliant player in all honesty but he obviously understands DS’s system very well and he soaked up anything Rangers could throw at us

if Stendel can get us playing consistently well that’s the key, and probably, he would admit himself and has admitted that it hasn’t happened to date. That’s not to say it won’t happen and if he stays with us 

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I do suspect that the knowledge of Scottish football line is often trotted by the media by ex-players who want to get a management job or get one for their mates. So its suits them to make the pool small for managers. So the narrative is trotted out and if a foreign manager fails then rather look at the many reasons for the failure, its easier to just say its because they have no knowledge of Scottish football.

Just now, Jocam2325 said:

No offence taken. If he stays, which I doubt unless common sense breaks out re which league we will compete in, then he will have my full support. 

Cheers

One way or another I think he’ll go as well. I’d like him to stay but despite the challenges he faced I’ve been disappointed he hasn’t had a bigger impact. 

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I do suspect that the knowledge of Scottish football line is often trotted by the media by ex-players who want to get a management job or get one for their mates. So its suits them to make the pool small for managers. So the narrative is trotted out and if a foreign manager fails then rather look at the many reasons for the failure, its easier to just say its because they have no knowledge of Scottish football.

I think that plays a part. There was a willingness by the media for DS to fail and it was unclear if that was xenophobia an anti hearts agenda or both. We were all willing him to succeed but he fell short which is a shame But shouldn’t put us if taking on an outsider in the future. 

Pasquale for King
21 hours ago, Rods said:

May be a bit left field but we have Gary Naysmith and Gary Locke at the club. Why not just move them up to the top positions. 

21 hours ago, Rods said:

What?

Both Naysmith and Locke have managed at the championship level.

They are already at the club they know the club.I think your overreaction is a bit stupid.

ps there is a global pandemic going on we maybe have to cut cost. 

Because they both have poor records as managers, there’s a reason they’re doing the jobs they currently do.

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Exactly, Cathro and Levein had knowledge of Scottish football.

All the excuses in the world - he’s not had enough time or his own players, we were in a dreadful position when he came in etc, etc - don’t mean shit. If DS isn’t winning games he needs shipped out; it’s as simple as that. Affording get outs is exactly what happened with CL and see where that’s landed us. I’m not saying Daniel should be booted out right now, but if he is in charge when we resume Ann’s message to him should be clear - get us winning in short order or pack your bags.

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, S Form said:

All the excuses in the world - he’s not had enough time or his own players, we were in a dreadful position when he came in etc, etc - don’t mean shit. If DS isn’t winning games he needs shipped out; it’s as simple as that. Affording get outs is exactly what happened with CL and see where that’s landed us. I’m not saying Daniel should be booted out right now, but if he is in charge when we resume Ann’s message to him should be clear - get us winning in short order or pack your bags.

We were 8th in the form table when lockdown started, he had turned it the corner with the squad.

Vlad Magic

There have been some excellent posts on this thread.

Pretty much all constructive and well thought out points.

Bottom line is does Stendel want to come back and finish off what he started?

Can the club put a package together that will enable us to secure his services on a long term contract?

Will the division we are in affect his decision?

Do we the fans support Stendel if the boxes are ticked above and he agrees to come back?

What are the options if he either doesn’t want to or we cant afford him?

I hope he comes back. 

Managerial merry go rounds do nothing for stability which is what we need and the crux of me being on and posting on this thread.

Scottie Wanshot.
On 15/04/2020 at 20:16, Hans von Luck said:

Personally would cut our losses as I think he is another dud. 

big dud

pettigrewsstylist

His results, over months, including a window and countless 6 pointers. ...nowhere near good enough.

Clerry Jambo

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/daniel-stendels-future-hearts-addressed-ann-budge-admits-costs-will-need-be-reduced-2868037

Daniel Stendel's future at Hearts addressed as Ann Budge admits costs will need to be reduced

All parties have had productive talks, with German keen to return

Thursday, 28th May 2020, 10:30 pm

Daniel Stendel's terms will have to change at Hearts. Copyright: 2020 SNS Group

Daniel Stendel will have to consider reduced terms if he is to return as Hearts manager.

There was a clause in the German’s former contract that effectively cut him loose should the Gorgie side slip out of the Premiership and, as it stands, a premature end to the 2019/20 league campaign has dumped them into the Championship.

Budge is still fighting that expulsion but, with so much uncertainty surrounding which league the Gorgie club will compete in next term and when the season will even get under way, club owner Budge has conceded that a tightening of the belts will be necessary.

But, she believes the German – who joined the club in December - is keen to return to Tynecastle. 

“We speak once or twice a week and he is as frustrated as I am with all this,” said Budge. “I feel for Daniel. He is in a very difficult situation and is technically out of contract. But we are still talking about the future. Daniel is telling me that he wants to be back here. He feels he has started something and wasn’t given the opportunity to finish it, so he wants to come back. 

“But I do have to take a view, depending on where we are, of what we can afford and when we are likely to get back, so that all has to be considered and I do need to talk to Daniel about what it would mean if he comes back.”

That is likely to include a lower wage offer for the man who refused to take the final few months’ salary while his players and staff were furloughed.

“That is certainly something I will have to talk to him about,” admitted Budge. “ As you know, he has been fantastic throughout this. I can’t ask for any more than that. But I can’t expect him to go on with no salary for the next six months if that is how long it is until we play again.

“It all depends on when we think we will be playing. It is difficult for him and he is frustrated, just as I am but we will need to talk again and more clarity about where and when we will be playing would be useful when we are having those talks.

“If we are in the Championship and not playing until January then, clearly, I will have to cut costs.”

Keen to avoid redundancies, she said she will also have to look at the academy and hospitality as she looks to trim back out-goings. 

“There is a fair bit of cost there and we have to decide what we can do there if it is going to be a while until the kids can come back. We also have got a lot of hospitality staff and if they can’t get back for months [due to social distancing and closed-door games] then I have to look at that.

“There’s some difficult decisions still to be made to see us through this. But it is hard to plan for that without knowing where we will be playing or when.”

So if he comes back it will be on less money and no budget for players by the sound of things.  When would training start usually for next season?

If he has the same group of players to work with he can’t get the job evidenced by the shite we have witnessed 

It should have been ten
On 25/05/2020 at 13:56, Pasquale for King said:

We were 8th in the form table when lockdown started, he had turned it the corner with the squad.

This!

Not claiming to be in the know in any way shape or form. Just passing on what I’ve been told...

A friend who has contacts at ICT told me that Robbo is leaving, desk already cleared. 🤷🏽‍♂️

On 25/05/2020 at 15:01, Vlad Magic said:

There have been some excellent posts on this thread.

Pretty much all constructive and well thought out points.

Bottom line is does Stendel want to come back and finish off what he started?

Can the club put a package together that will enable us to secure his services on a long term contract?

Will the division we are in affect his decision?

Do we the fans support Stendel if the boxes are ticked above and he agrees to come back?

What are the options if he either doesn’t want to or we cant afford him?

I hope he comes back. 

Managerial merry go rounds do nothing for stability which is what we need and the crux of me being on and posting on this thread.

After your post it went downhill again. 😏

Vlad Magic
49 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

After your post it went downhill again. 😏

At least I set the bar high 😂😂

On 29/05/2020 at 07:28, pointon said:

If he has the same group of players to work with he can’t get the job evidenced by the shite we have witnessed 

Surely we would be having a massive clear out, meaning the majority of the squad would have relegation release clauses? It's a guess obviously, but I'd think most senior players would have relegation release terms. 

I hope so anyway. 

Sick to death of the vast majority of them and their inept performances. 

A decision has to made if we even want to make an offer to the 'current manager'

If we do it will be on greatly reduced terms but there may be a way we can work it for example paying a reduced salary for next season with a promotion bonus to make up some of the salary reduction for the 20/21 season and if he gets us up have a 2 year deal already agreed ..if he does not then it would be time to say goodbye

Gorgieboy7
On 29/05/2020 at 07:28, pointon said:

Agreed. St. Johnstone were below us when he took over now we are 4 points adrift. Look at the contrast. 

pettigrewsstylist
On 25/05/2020 at 08:01, Baxfee said:

Just watched the 1-3 fester road highlights. It was bouncing and there’s no getting away the stendel song is simply amazing. If there is one reason to keep him - it’s that 

He was unable to give us any derbies next season tho. If there is one reason to get rid ......

kingantti1874

Being honest, I like Daniel, I think he could have been great and he’s a top man. I think we need to go back to basics for a couple of years until we stabilise. 

to play the way he wants (which I think could be great) will require significant investment.. very few of our current squad are able to do it.

Caley Squidster
On 30/05/2020 at 11:38, Mdoug79 said:

Not claiming to be in the know in any way shape or form. Just passing on what I’ve been told...

A friend who has contacts at ICT told me that Robbo is leaving, desk already cleared. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Yeah right they did!! 

I can't help but laugh when I see posts like this, as if people on the outside would have "contacts" in the club who would then break confidential information that would lead to the sack!! 

And, in no way would a manager "clear his desk" BEFORE a club has asked permission to talk to him. 

So, you might fool others on here (but I doubt it) but you certainly don't fool me :/. 

Highlander

I would be in favour of keeping Stendel because, although some of the early games slow and turgid, I think we were beginning to turn a corner. I simply cannot imagine Levein having taken any of the points we did against Hibs, Rangers or Aberdeen. Whilst I was sceptical about the appointment of Stendel, I think he has done okay with what he has and, at least, liked the fact he was coming from an English League. 

However, taking the bait and assuming for a moment he did go, I would be looking for a manager who, like Steve Clarke, has some English Premiership experience. Scottish managers moving to England, with few exceptions, rarely goes well (most recent examples being when Robbie went to MK Dons or Stubbs to Rotherham for instance) but when the reverse occurs, from England to Scotland, you are in with a shout of getting the kind of results Kilmarnock saw. A remarkably mediocre club with minimal investment led by a quality manager delivering the goods. 

A few shouts, for me, would be:

Paul Lambert / Duncan Ferguson / Alex Neil

pettigrewsstylist
On 25/05/2020 at 13:56, Pasquale for King said:

The form table 😂😂😂 our closest huddies outfought us a few days before the stop. 

pettigrewsstylist

Think that when you combine AB business principles, Covid 19 shudtown/income removal and demotion to Chmpship lesser income streams it is likely  the club will be shopping in bargain basement for new mgr. Maybe ex player or mgr doing it for less  than market value will be our best hope of punching higher than the £s we spend. 

DS actions are honourable but doubt a man of his age can continue without income.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

The form table 😂😂😂 our closest huddies outfought us a few days before the stop. 

The question was had he made a change in our fortunes, he had. The fact that an unfit squad full of chicken hearted ***** , assembled by a charlatan, were playing their 4th game in 11 days and had got more leggy in every one has passed most people by.

On 25/05/2020 at 08:01, Baxfee said:

Just watched the 1-3 fester road highlights. It was bouncing and there’s no getting away the stendel song is simply amazing. If there is one reason to keep him - it’s that 

Like the Olly Lee song ☹️

Pasquale for King
On 30/05/2020 at 11:58, daftie said:

More likely to be going to St Johnstone Id guess

Brian Jackson is more likely to be going there.

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

The question was had he made a change in our fortunes, he had. The fact that an unfit squad full of chicken hearted ***** , assembled by a charlatan, were playing their 4th game in 11 days and had got more leggy in every one has passed most people by.

St Mirren, enough said. He had a window to have an effect. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

St Mirren, enough said. He had a window to have an effect. 

Ffs with no money, having to do all the work himself, whilst trying to get them fit, in the most difficult window to get players. Did you support that charlatan Levein by any chance?

Scottie Wanshot.
On 15/04/2020 at 20:16, Hans von Luck said:

Personally would cut our losses as I think he is another dud. 

a big dud.

Heartsofgold
25 minutes ago, Rods said:

Daniel Stendel will be our manager next year.

how sure of that statement are you?

2 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

how sure of that statement are you?

I am confident but its just a hunch as I am now confident of league reconstruction and Stendel has indicated he has unfinished business.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Rods said:

I am confident but its just a hunch as I am now confident of league reconstruction and Stendel has indicated he has unfinished business.

Although I do want Robbo, and Stendel has a lot of convincing to do, Stendel has the JJ and Sergio-style likeabiity I think we need from a manager after Levein and Cathro, who I'm sure are decent sorts but did hide their charms quite well. If he can adapt a bit better he should still get us playing again in whatever league we're in.

And Robbo will always be there next to the phone if it goes tits up.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Although I do want Robbo, and Stendel has a lot of convincing to do, Stendel has the JJ and Sergio-style likeabiity I think we need from a manager after Levein and Cathro, who I'm sure are decent sorts but did hide their charms quite well. If he can adapt a bit better he should still get us playing again in whatever league we're in.

And Robbo will always be there next to the phone if it goes tits up.

I agree with you I see Stendel as a JJ type that the fans will love. He just has to get his own players in and then we will kick on.