Mike Ashley agrees fee to sell Newcastle

HMFC01

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mike-ashley-agrees-fee-sell-21866810

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley is close to finally agreeing the sale of the club - according to a report.

Documents from Companies House emerged on Tuesday showing legal framework being put in place for the deal to be done.

Sky Sports report that PCP partners have been in talks with Newcastle since January and the deal is edging closer.

PCP will hold 10 per cent of the shares while The Saudi Fund, controlled by Prince Mohammed bin Salman, will own the majority of the club.

Billionaire brothers David and Simon Reuben will also hold shares in the club if the deal is ratified by the Premier League.

Former Rangers shareholder Ashley has been criticised by Newcastle fans during his 13-year tenure in charge of the club and the Sports Direct owner is understood to have agreed a fee of around £300m for the club.

That’s £40m below the original asking price but it’s reported that the coronavirus epidemic has caused the value of the club to drop.

And the new owners will invest a significant amount of money in the club should the deal go through.

Earlier this week, we revealed that they were lining up a £30m move for Scotland midfielder John McGinn.

The former Hibs star has been sensational for Aston Villa and Steve Bruce was the man who took him south of the border in 2018.

Just thought I'd share that incase no one noticed,

In years to come Newcastle fans might work out what Ashley actually did at the club. I’ll admit he wasn’t always the classiest operator but his refusal to indulge in huge transfers and wages has left the club financially in a better place than many. 

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

In years to come Newcastle fans might work out what Ashley actually did at the club. I’ll admit he wasn’t always the classiest operator but his refusal to indulge in huge transfers and wages has left the club financially in a better place than many. 

That just helps the sale to go through. 

1 minute ago, Section Q said:

That just helps the sale to go through. 

Indeed. The Fergus McCann model, go into a club, stabilise it, then sell at a nice profit. There won’t be many achieve that in the English top flight. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/11973051/newcastle-takeover-mike-ashley-in-advanced-talks-with-pcp-capital-partners-to-sell-club

Newcastle takeover: Mike Ashley in advanced talks with PCP Capital Partners to sell club

Price agreed by Ashley is closer to £300m, rather than the original asking price of around £340m

PCP Capital Partners are in advanced talks with Mike Ashley to end his 13-year tenure as owner of Newcastle United, according to sources directly involved in the takeover.

This follows significant Companies House legal documentation that emerged on Tuesday morning, proving legal framework for a deal was being put in place by the two parties.

Sky Sports News reported in January Amanda Staveley's PCP Partners and the Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF) were in talks to buy Newcastle. It is unclear as to why there is no mention of PIF in any of the Companies House documentation.

Supplementary documentation has led to claims Ashley is lending PCP money to help complete the deal. It has always been the case Ashley was willing to structure payments in a bid to reach a sale. The sale will be a cash deal, however that transaction will only take place once the Premier League has ratified the deal.

The price agreed by Ashley is closer to £300m, rather than the original asking price of around £340m and it is thought the coronavirus pandemic has had a significant impact on the value of the club.

The Saudi fund (PIF), controlled by Prince Mohammed bin Salman will hold 80 per cent of the club shares, while Amanda Staveley will hold 10 per cent of the shares and it is expected that she will play a key role in the running of the club.

The final 10 per cent will be controlled by billionaire brothers, David and Simon Reuben. They have significant property interests in the Newcastle area - including owning the city's racecourse.

If the Premier League ratify the deal, the prospective buyers are understood to have earmarked significant investment into the club.

Talks have been under way with the Saudi wealth fund for the past 12 months, with the deal being codenamed Project Zebra - reflecting the famous Newcastle kit.

Sky Sports News has contacted Newcastle for comment.

It is believed Ashley is presently at his Florida home in Miami, while Staveley is believed to be at her central London home.

Staveley had failed with a bid to buy the club in 2017, following lengthy negotiations.

A relegation compensation clause was understood to be a sticking point at one stage in the talks.

Ashley has been in control at St James' Park since purchasing a majority stake in the club in 2007. Newcastle have been twice relegated from the Premier League during Ashley's reign, with supporters protesting on numerous occasions against his ownership.

The purchase would be a major coup - and the biggest move yet - for Saudi Arabia as it focuses on sports and entertainment. They recently hosted Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz's heavyweight world title fight in the Diriyah Arena and have also announced plans for a new F1 racetrack that will host a Grand Prix in 2023.

Legal documentation emerged on Companies House this morning, proving finance changing hands and also a legal framework being put in place for the sale of Newcastle United Football Club.

According to Companies House, Mike Ashley is set to aid Amanda Staveley and her consortium, which involves the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia, to the tune of £150m, with that money then paid back to Ashley in instalments in years to come.

Sources directly involved in the deal have indicated to Sky Sports News that in fact, advanced talks are taking place between the two parties. We reported back in January those talks had started and that legal documentation on Tuesday proves the story that Newcastle could finally be sold.

Newcastle were refusing to comment on Tuesday morning and Ashley is out of the country on lockdown in America.

Wee extra bit.

Who is Amanda Staveley?

- Born in Ripon, Yorkshire in April 1973

- Married in 2011 to Iranian-born Mehrdad Ghodoussi. They have one child Lexi, born after Staveley went into labour during a business meeting

- The family have homes in Dubai and London's Park Lane

- She was spotted in the stands at St James' Park in October 2017 before Mike Ashley announced his intention to sell the club

- Staveley was credited with masterminding Sheikh Mansour's takeover of Man City from Thaksin Shinawatra in 2009

- Also in 2009, she was involved in a failed bid to take a controlling share in Liverpool, walking away when the Fenway Sports Group valued the club at £1bn

- She came close to purchasing Newcastle United in January 2018, through her finance vehicle PCP Capital Partners

1 hour ago, JCR said:

MBS is literally one of the most evil men on this planet. Out of the frying pan into the fire for Newcastle. 

:laugh2: I was just about to say, "what a great deal for Newcastle", maybe not. 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

:laugh2: I was just about to say, "what a great deal for Newcastle", maybe not. 

He was the one who ordered that journalist hacked to bits in the embassy. He behaves like a mafia boss, anyone in Saudi who shows any discontent towards him is murdered. 

Presumably top Newcastle players will be expected to do PR saying what a progressive place SA is now, because that’s the reason they’ll want a club, to improve their image. 

Well he spent half a billion on a boat when he announced all sorts of cuts in his country.

but he lets women drive now

good luck Newcastle fans. Your gonna need it.  Though the obscenity of money in the SKY premiership will no doubt initially see new records broken

Unknown user
1 hour ago, JCR said:

MBS is literally one of the most evil men on this planet. Out of the frying pan into the fire for Newcastle. 

Jesus, they thought Ashley was a ****!

It's interesting though, 10% will be held by the Reuben brothers, who as far as I know are philanthropic and Jewish, not exactly obvious bed partners

11 minutes ago, JCR said:

He was the one who ordered that journalist hacked to bits in the embassy. He behaves like a mafia boss, anyone in Saudi who shows any discontent towards him is murdered. 

Presumably top Newcastle players will be expected to do PR saying what a progressive place SA is now, because that’s the reason they’ll want a club, to improve their image. 

Oh aye, remember that now, Kashogghi or something that got chopped up in the Turkish embassy. 

They make Mike Ashley look good..

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Jesus, they thought Ashley was a ****!

It's interesting though, 10% will be held by the Reuben brothers, who as far as I know are philanthropic and Jewish, not exactly obvious bed partners

You're joking aren't you?? The Saudi's and the Israeli's have been allies for years. Off topic though.

6 minutes ago, XB52 said:

You're joking aren't you?? The Saudi's and the Israeli's have been allies for years. Off topic though.

Indeed. They balance out the power and they both hate the Shia. It's a complexed place. 

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Indeed. They balance out the power and they both hate the Shia. It's a complexed place. 

Both hate and fear Iran 

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

In a league where they don't need fans to turn up to keep their heads above water, balancing the books is not what fans want. 

Just shows you how ****ed the EPL is that clubs (and fans) are happy to sell out to countries like Saudi Arabia and Qatar, where human rights abuses are daily events. 

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

He certainly did run it well as a business model, but in the landscape of English football, it's seen them overtaken by many clubs, albeit some have since fell below Newcastle once again. I don't think there was many complaints about Ashley until the last few seasons. As good as his plan was, it's dragged on a little too long. The facilities at the club haven't really improved, and it's always astonished me that Newcastle don't really tap into youth a lot more, when the North East is such a hotbed of talent. He wouldn't back Rafa in the transfer market, which hurt a lot of fans, and coupled with 2 relegations on his watch, as well as no trips to Wembley (other than to play Spurs), you can't help but see why Newcastle fans felt it was perhaps time to move on.

That said, I hope it's not a case of 'better with the devil you know'. Mate of mine is a Newcastle fan so I go down with him quite a bit and it will be interesting to see the changes around the stadium and stuff, if any. All the Newcastle fans want to see is a bit of ambition, not just settling for 12th in the league every season. None of them necessarily want hundreds of millions spent on an influx of foreigners either, just some sign of ambition.

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, Locky said:

He certainly did run it well as a business model, but in the landscape of English football, it's seen them overtaken by many clubs, albeit some have since fell below Newcastle once again. I don't think there was many complaints about Ashley until the last few seasons. As good as his plan was, it's dragged on a little too long. The facilities at the club haven't really improved, and it's always astonished me that Newcastle don't really tap into youth a lot more, when the North East is such a hotbed of talent. He wouldn't back Rafa in the transfer market, which hurt a lot of fans, and coupled with 2 relegations on his watch, as well as no trips to Wembley (other than to play Spurs), you can't help but see why Newcastle fans felt it was perhaps time to move on.

That said, I hope it's not a case of 'better with the devil you know'. Mate of mine is a Newcastle fan so I go down with him quite a bit and it will be interesting to see the changes around the stadium and stuff, if any. All the Newcastle fans want to see is a bit of ambition, not just settling for 12th in the league every season. None of them necessarily want hundreds of millions spent on an influx of foreigners either, just some sign of ambition.

I have heard some Newcastle fans also complain that Ashley uses Newcastle as a vehicle for Sports Direct. St James is decked out with sponsorship advertising Sports Direct which the company doesn't pay for so it means the club misses out on the extra revenue.

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

I have heard some Newcastle fans also complain that Ashley uses Newcastle as a vehicle for Sports Direct. St James is decked out with sponsorship advertising Sports Direct which the company doesn't pay for so it means the club misses out on the extra revenue.

Yeah I think there is definitely a case for that. In Newcastle, he has one of the biggest advertising boards known to man, and for free too.

9 hours ago, JCR said:

How will he pass the leagues fit and proper test?

11 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

Is anyone going to be daft enough to buy a football club at the moment?

Exactly, Ashley is an arse but he isnt daft. The fact that he has been looking for a buyer for the club for years but has knocked all approaches back yet he now thinks that this is the correct time to get out say all you need to know about where he thinks football is heading over the next year or so.

48 minutes ago, braveheart said:

How will he pass the leagues fit and proper test?

He'll use Dave King's advice manual.

2 hours ago, Locky said:

It's been a theme of his reign that he does just enough to stay in the EPL (although that plan backfired twice), to be competitive the major investment has to be in the infrastructure as there's no doubt they've lost a lot of players due to the walk around the training ground part of trying to sign someone. The sale will also hopefully see the removal of the likes of Lee Charnley from the board and the appointment of an actual Football Club Chief Exec. It really won't take a huge amount to make Newcastle more competitive, they have the stadium and fan base to be a big club, at least now they won't be outbid on players by teams like southampton and bournemouth that get less than half of the attendances that Newcastle get.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

It's been a theme of his reign that he does just enough to stay in the EPL (although that plan backfired twice), to be competitive the major investment has to be in the infrastructure as there's no doubt they've lost a lot of players due to the walk around the training ground part of trying to sign someone. The sale will also hopefully see the removal of the likes of Lee Charnley from the board and the appointment of an actual Football Club Chief Exec. It really won't take a huge amount to make Newcastle more competitive, they have the stadium and fan base to be a big club, at least now they won't be outbid on players by teams like southampton and bournemouth that get less than half of the attendances that Newcastle get.

Guy at my work is a Toon season ticket holder and he say that Newcastle don't own the stadium !!!

14 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

Not easy to launder money when everything is closed eh

16 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

Well there was that guy who bought Hibs!

jamboinglasgow
13 hours ago, JCR said:

Its exactly the main reason why countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the emirate of Abu Dhabi buy clubs. You buy a group of fans who will defend your nation no matter what. This has been shown with press stories about Abu Dhabi, Man City fans will defend Abu Dhabi and attack journalists online. Also PR if you are seen as investing in an area. 

BangkokHearts

Great, another club I will have to hate a little more than all the others.

18 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

loose change to these punters.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-takeover-deal-threatened-21904903

Newcastle United takeover deal threatened as BeIN Sports 'make piracy claim' to Premier League

The TV broadcaster want the deal blocked because Saudi Arabia allegedly engage in TV piracy.

The deal for the takeover of Newcastle United could be blocked after BeIN Sports made a request to the Premier League to block it on the grounds of piracy.

The group - who are part owned by PSG president Nasser Al Khelaifi - own rights to the English Premier League to be shown in foreign countries and invest a lot of money in the English game.

And according to The Times, they have formally requested that the deal be blocked by the league body on the basis Saudi Arabia engages in TV piracy.

That could put the move in doubt with a £300m fee agreed for former Rangers shareholder Mike Ashley to sell the club to PCP partners and the Saudi fund, controlled by Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Ashley has been criticised by Newcastle fans during his 13-year tenure in charge of the club and the Sports Direct owner is understood to have agreed a fee of around £300m for the club.  That’s £40m below the original asking price but it’s reported that the coronavirus epidemic has caused the value of the club to drop.

But with BeIN Sports role in airing the Premier League all over the world, their request for it to be blocked could be taking especially serious.

That would be a huge blow to Newcastle fans who are desperate to see Ashley leave the club.

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/epl-told-to-consider-blocking-saudi-arabia-buying-newcastle-042120

The English Premier League has been asked by human rights activists and one of its major broadcast partners to consider blocking Saudi Arabia’s attempt to buy Newcastle.

Amnesty International wrote to league chief executive Richard Masters to say the takeover could be exploited by Saudi Arabia to cover up “deeply immoral” breaches of international law, citing human rights violations and the role of the crown prince leading the sovereign wealth fund.

Qatar-based broadcaster beIN Sports said the kingdom should be held to account for a Saudi-backed pirate network stealing live broadcasts of games. Yousef Al-Obaidly, the beIN Media Group CEO, warned of the “danger of allowing the acquisition … given the country’s past and continuing illegal actions and their direct impact upon the commercial interests of the Premier League.”

The intervention of a broadcast partner who has helped the league become the world’s richest soccer competition comes amid growing financial pressures on clubs caused by the coronavirus pandemic that has seen no games played in six weeks. Masters has said the crisis could cost the league more than 1 billion pounds ($1.2 billion) with broadcasting contracts in danger of not being fulfilled.

While the league grapples with an unprecedented shutdown it is having to examine whether to grant Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund clearance to buy Newcastle from retail entrepreneur Mike Ashley. The PIF is due to be the 80% majority partner in a 300 million-pound ($370) takeover alongside wealthy British-based Reuben brothers and financier Amanda Staveley.

PIF is overseen by the Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who Amnesty says has been involved in a “sweeping crackdown on human rights.” The Premier League does not have specific human rights standards set out in regulations that are used to assess the suitability of new owners.

“So long as these questions remain unaddressed, the Premier League is putting itself at risk of becoming a patsy of those who want to use the glamour and prestige of Premier League football to cover up actions that are deeply immoral, in breach of international law and at odds with the values of the Premier League and the global footballing community,” Amnesty International UK director Kate Allen wrote Monday to Premier League chief executive Richard Masters.

Amnesty raised concerns with Masters about the 2018 killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul as questions linger over the crown prince’s culpability.

Agnes Callamard, a U.N. special rapporteur who authored an inquiry into the killing, called for sanctions on Prince Mohammed and said responsibility for Khashoggi’s killing falls on Saudi Arabia. The report found “sufficient credible evidence regarding the responsibility of the Crown Prince demanding further investigation.”

The Premier League can block new owners if “in the reasonable opinion of the board” it can be determined they “engaged in conduct outside the United Kingdom” that would have resulted in a conviction in the UK had it taken place within the country.

Saudi Arabia’s trial of 11 suspects in the Khashoggi killing was held in secret and does not include the crown prince’s top adviser at the time — Saud al-Qahtani — who has been sanctioned by the U.S. for his suspected role in orchestrating the operation.

PIF’s vision overseen by Prince Mohammed is to ultimately pay for the mega state projects that will modernize and overhaul the kingdom and create jobs for young Saudis.

“The Crown Prince has been using sporting events and personalities as a means of improving the Kingdom’s reputation following the grisly murder of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi — widely believed to have taken place with his approval,” Allen wrote to the Premier League. “Such positive associations with sporting events also distract attention from Saudi’s appalling human rights record, including the imprisonment and torture of women human rights defenders.”

The letter cites Loujain al-Hathloul, one of Saudi Arabia’s most outspoken women’s rights activists, who was one of more than a dozen women detained in 2018, just weeks before the crown prince lifted the ban on women driving — something they been calling for in their push for equal rights.

PIF’s London-based media advisers have declined comment on the takeover. Ashley, who bought Newcastle in 2007 and owns the Sports Direct chain of retail stores, commented in 2018 on previous takeover talks with Staveley that collapsed but he has been silent on this latest attempt to complete a deal.

Protecting TV revenue has previously seen the Premier League lodge its own complaint against Saudi Arabia along with other soccer bodies over the “persistent and illegal screening” by beoutQ of games where beIN holds the rights. It is a proxy dispute in a wider Gulf diplomatic standoff.

Al-Obaidly, who runs beIN, told Masters that as a “huge investor in the Premier League, we urge you to consider carefully all the implications” of allowing the takeover of Newcastle, asking him to “enforce your own rules against Saudi Arabian based persons or entities.”

The teams were told by Al-Obaidly in a separate letter that the “the potential acquirer of Newcastle United caused huge damage to your club’s and the Premier League’s commercial revenues” at a time when sports are feeling the “crippling economic effect that coronavirus.” Al-Obaidly is also on the board of Qatar-owned Paris Saint-Germain.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Qatar taking the moral high ground against Saudi Arabia is quite something. The EPL has properly sold its soul

6 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

None of those stories from the record and Fox News will make any difference to the deal. 

The Fox news one certainly won't. Who cares about human rights?

The BeIn one though might carry some weight. As the article says, they provide a great deal of funding to the PL, which is what is most important to them. 

1 hour ago, Locky said:

The BeIn one though might carry some weight. As the article says, they provide a great deal of funding to the PL, which is what is most important to them. 

Certainly not the EPL fit and proper persons test as it's not a consideration, only way Human Rights becomes an issue with the deal is if the government steps in which is very unlikely. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Locky said:

Qatar is corrupt as feck though so it won’t look good if the EPL opposes the Saudis on behalf of Qatar.

yet again, chickens coming home to roost. So many scumbags involved with football at the top level. Eventually you lose track of who you should be stabbing in the back

Can't see this not going through tbh, if it's even close to not happening Ashley will tell the EPL that he can't afford to keep the club going due to covid etc, the EPL will then fold rather than lose another club

Interesting, I was just listening to Talksport today, they were talking about an American putting in a 2nd offer,  Henry Mauriss £350m.  They thought he was hoping the intial bid from saudis would fail so he could get the deposit. 😄

They did also mention that the Saudi takeover was worth a lot more in potential due to the fact they are super wealthy.

If this goes through I am anticipating bids for Morelos and Edouard maybe even some others.  They might bid for Hickey as well but that would be a future investment.

Just to add:  This deal would make them the richest owners in the country.

Edited by HMFC01

17 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Interesting, I was just listening to Talksport today, they were talking about an American putting in a 2nd offer,  Henry Mauriss £350m.  They thought he was hoping the intial bid from saudis would fail so he could get the deposit. 😄

They did also mention that the Saudi takeover was worth a lot more in potential due to the fact they are super wealthy.

If this goes through I am anticipating bids for Morelos and Edouard maybe even some others.  They might bid for Hickey as well but that would be a future investment.

Just to add:  This deal would make them the richest owners in the country.

All that money, you reckon they will buy from Scotland?

Sure , why not.  They will take the best players basically.  No doubt they will raid the French leagues, some Dutch, what ever takes their fancy since they can afford it.

They can out bid clubs as well for future stars.  All that's missing is the reputation of a Man UTD, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool.  Money talks louder though.

Edited by HMFC01

https://www.givemesport.com/1565862-newcastle-ready-to-offer-mauricio-pochettino-19mperyear-to-become-their-new-manager?autoplay=on

The company, led by Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohamed Bin Salman, is believed to be worth a ridiculous £260 billion.

That means Newcastle's prospective new owners are worth over 10x more than Man City's owners.

And, according to Sky Sports, their number one target is Mauricio Pochettino.

The Argentine manager has been out of work since leaving Tottenham Hotspur at the back end of last year.

Pochettino is said to be interested in the role and Newcastle and prepared to pay him a mouthwatering £19 million-per-year.

That's the equivalent to £355,000-per-week, which is a ridiculous amount of money.

According to the Daily Mail, that figure would make him the third highest-paid manager in the world and the second highest-paid manager in the Premier League.

1. Diego Simeone - £36.2m

2. Pep Guardiola - £20m

3*. Mauricio Pochettino - £19m

4= Jose Mourinho - £15m

4= Jurgen Klopp - £15m

6. Zinedine Zidane - £14m

That's staggering that Simeone is worth more than Zidane.

Certainly very interesting. Newcastle fans have had a shitty time under Ashley, hopefully it brings them some good fortune. 

If they could chuck a 7 figure bid in for Hickey before Celtic tap him up that would be great....