McCann and Pressley

Leveins Battalion

Leveins Battalion

Back to football (somewhat),I read this morning former Hearts Striker Callum Elliot in the EEN stating this seasons catastrophe could have been avoided if we had appointed McCann or Pressley rather than Daniel Stendel.

Thoughts?🤔

Jambos_1874

My thoughts are that he is wrong. Pressley has failed in every one of his managerial posts. McCann has had one managers job and also failed. Stendel is far superior to both.

David McCaig
Just now, Jambos_1874 said:

My thoughts are that he is wrong. Pressley has failed in every one of his managerial posts. McCann has had one managers job and also failed. Stendel is far superior to both.

To be honest Stendel was probably a case of the right man at totally the wrong time. 

We've been a shames this season, but dull and solid would probably have seen us through once the injured players were back.

Stendel's approach has pretty much been one of chaos theory with tactics totally unsuited to the current squad.

Conversely, Stendel would probably have been the perfect man to replace Neilson.

Jobs for the boys culture that, surprised by Callum.

Pressley would’ve divided us more when we needed to be unified. McCann a high risk and I doubt he’d have gotten anything more out of this pile of overpaid shite who don’t need to win games to take home a nice pay packet.

Why isn’t anyone in the SMSM going after Levein for the contracts? Or Budge if she was the one who thought paying a higher basic salary ‘was a nice thing to do’? That’s where all the issues stem from, the players don’t give a **** and we only see them try on big TV games. 

Aw ok then. So this is all Daniels fault is it?  Wouldn’t want either of these two at Tynecastle. They’ve not had managerial success anywhere yet Daniel managed to promote Barnsley In his first season. Daniel will go to higher echelons than these two. In what way does CE think players like Wighton, Uche and Mclean would be improved by Elvis and Terry? 

If I was taking an educated guess here, I’m thinking Elliot thinks DS won’t be back due to his relegation clause and is starting to bang the drum for his two pals to get the gig in any event. 

Do one Calum! 

Edited by Saughton Jambo

It really grates on me when ex players or pundits come out and say you need a manager who knows the league. Did anyone say this about Guardiola when he went to city (yes understand completely different clubs and state of the clubs) but the players know the league, they should know how to listen to bloody instructions. What Stendel brought in wasn’t rocket science. 
I for one am grateful we didn’t bring in Pressley or McCann or Robinson or Wright. They would of just let the same players ample on by whilst we fight relegation so meekly. 
All those guys I rank alongside Levein so if they weren’t playing for Levein why do we think they would of played for any of them. 

Two men who have proven themselves to be poor managers elsewhere? Why would they have miraculously turned in to good managers at Tynecastle? :lol:

Jambos_1874
12 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

To be honest Stendel was probably a case of the right man at totally the wrong time. 

We've been a shames this season, but dull and solid would probably have seen us through once the injured players were back.

Stendel's approach has pretty much been one of chaos theory with tactics totally unsuited to the current squad.

Conversely, Stendel would probably have been the perfect man to replace Neilson.

I think that's a fair point. I think the type of football thaf Stendel wants us to play is not compatible with a relegation dogfight - that was very clear in the StMirren game, although we were awful as well. If he had taken over following Neilson when we were confident and flying high then that would have been a different matter. In fairness to Stendel there was some evidence he was changing tactics to suit our predicament.

Also, although I was no fan of Cathro and his communication skills were apalling, he actually had the right idea about how we should play and I genuinely think he was tactically astute, it's just that those tactics would have only worked with players far, far better than what we have ever had and he did not recognise that, amazingly.

Edited by Jambos_1874

David McCaig
1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Two men who have proven themselves to be poor managers elsewhere? Why would they have miraculously turned in to good managers at Tynecastle? :lol:

We didn't need someone to be good, we needed someone not to be so bad that Hamilton/St Mirren sped off into the sunset.

We needed someone who didn't fail to win every single game against bottom 6 opposition.

I blame Ann Budge and I blame Craig Levein, but Daniel Stendel has had half a season and there has been no improvement.  Indeed his last match at St Mirren was one of THE worst Hearts performances I've ever had the misfortune to witness.  I would have sacked him that evening.

1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

We didn't need someone to be good, we needed someone not to be so bad that Hamilton/St Mirren sped off into the sunset.

We needed someone who didn't fail to win every single game against bottom 6 opposition.

I blame Ann Budge and I blame Craig Levein, but Daniel Stendel has had half a season and there has been no improvement.  Indeed his last match at St Mirren was one of THE worst Hearts performances I've ever had the misfortune to witness.  I would have sacked him that evening.

It’s all been done to death.

Doesn't change the fact McCann and Pressley aren’t good managers though.

David McCaig
5 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

It’s all been done to death.

Doesn't change the fact McCann and Pressley aren’t good managers though.

I agree with that... I was firmly in the Stephen Robinson camp.

Leveins Battalion
3 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I agree with that... I was firmly in the Stephen Robinson camp.

Me too.Dont mind Stendel though.

If we did get relegated and DS left would Robinson still be interested?

Still the biggest job outside the 2 manky mobs I think.

David McCaig
5 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Me too.Dont mind Stendel though.

If we did get relegated and DS left would Robinson still be interested?

Still the biggest job outside the 2 manky mobs I think.

Hearts in the Championship is still the 3rd biggest job in Scottish Football.

Season 1 probably equals a guaranteed title for whoever is in position as well.

ford donald
46 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Back to football (somewhat),I read this morning former Hearts Striker Callum Elliot in the EEN stating this seasons catastrophe could have been avoided if we had appointed McCann or Pressley rather than Daniel Stendel.

Thoughts?🤔

I certainly think McCann has potential as a manager,Pressley on the other hand, has failed in every job.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Total rubbish from clum! Daniel Stendel came into a sinking ship that was in serious decline for the previous 18months , the previous management team left a total shambles behind

fabienleclerq

Barely if any improvement under stendal tbh, he's stuck to his style with players unable to play it. Tbh his lack of pragmatism has potentially put the final nail in the coffin. Hard to say Clum is wrong. 

It’s difficult to say clum is wrong but they would have been short term appointment and would only have delayed the inevitable if wasn’t this season. Clear out required!

Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. It's irrelevant but im glad we got Stendel. Whatever league we end up in next season i want Stendel backed to build HIS squad. Levein got time, too much time, Stendel will get this right but it will take time.

gashauskis9
1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Thoughts?🤔

I think he should stick to camp dancing with his pals.

58 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

100% this. Both players were great servants to this club but doesn't mean their opinion is correct. I'd have Daniel before either of the former.

heartandsoul

I go down to see Carlisle a few times a season when Hearts are not playing. Their fans couldn't wait to get rid of Pressley.

Ricardo Shillyshally

His logic being the we needed someone who knows how the opposition play. How does that app!y to Phressley?

Utter drivel

Papers pushing this type of shite is part of the reason Scottish football is a dinosaur bone yard. 
with everything else going on with Scottish football this week we will never achieve progress in this country, no wonder we get ridiculed by the footballing world. The kids down the park could organise a tournament better than the governing board here.

sorry folks, didn’t sleep well, rant over.

No and No. 

McCann great player first time round, shadow of his former self when he came back.

Pressely was a great player till the legs (like Berra) started to go and since then his life appears to be all about excuses and blaming other folk. 
Neither should darken the managers door at Tynecastle.

Stendal’s on a hiding to nothing with our current squad. 
If we are forced out the Premiership & Stendal doesn’t return then gut the place, top to bottom. Same as 2014.

All new management team and at least 90% of the first team 

David McCaig

McCann is a crap manager, Presley is an awful manager and Stendel has been a dreadful manager at Hearts so far.

In fact Stendel's entire season both here and at Barnsley has been a giant shitfest. 

East Lothian Jambo

Neither of those two would've been the answer in my view 

That doesn't mean that Stendel has been a successful appointment though 

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Thoughts?🤔

He’s probably right.

Guid Scottish people.:P

This sums up why ex-footballers opinions should NOT be sought. 

Whenever you read or listen to an ex-pro just ask yourself if some no mark in a boozer came out with the same ramblings would you bother with him??

Hearts is still an attractive job as whoever succeeds in turning us round will get noticed and will get offers - Even if it is just the likes of MK Dons! 

I'm still hoping that man is Stendel. However, we sadly need another clearout of players...as they are the problem more than the manager now. They've failed under 3 managers.

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Clum should stick to dancing.

Beat me to it.

Though always felt a bit sorry for him after he was assaulted by Shagger.

letsmakesomenoise
2 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. It's irrelevant but im glad we got Stendel. Whatever league we end up in next season i want Stendel backed to build HIS squad. Levein got time, too much time, Stendel will get this right but it will take time.

If we are relegated, which seems likely, I don't think Stendel will manage another game for us.  So we better start preparing ......

1 hour ago, Mundaydog said:

No and No. 

McCann great player first time round, shadow of his former self when he came back.

Pressely was a great player till the legs (like Berra) started to go and since then his life appears to be all about excuses and blaming other folk. 
Neither should darken the managers door at Tynecastle.

Stendal’s on a hiding to nothing with our current squad. 
If we are forced out the Premiership & Stendal doesn’t return then gut the place, top to bottom. Same as 2014.

All new management team and at least 90% of the first team 

I agree.    An almost entire clear out.  I would say that is needed anyway.  

11 minutes ago, letsmakesomenoise said:

If we are relegated, which seems likely, I don't think Stendel will manage another game for us.  So we better start preparing ......

He's signed a 2 and a half year contract, see no reason why he won't be.

Jambo 4 Ever
4 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Thoughts?🤔

I actually think he is right

maybe after Stendal leaves we should get pressley and McCann in as a double team 

What we are continuing to see here is the reactionary mentality which prevails in many walks of life.Football and ALL its contributors have very little if any proactivity.

A mirror of our political classes attitude and approach to Covid19

I'll wager there are likely many changes afoot in our society (including footie) post Covid19!

letsalldothebeattie

Thoughts?🤔

I’m sorry but Callum Elliot was a bang average player at best his opinion means nothing. 

Tokyo Drifter

Thoughts?🤔

Not sure about McCann but I'd have taken Elvis quite happily.

34 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Not sure about McCann but I'd have taken Elvis quite happily.

Why?

He has failed as a manager at every club.  

jack D and coke
4 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

This👍🏼

3 hours ago, heartandsoul said:

I go down to see Carlisle a few times a season when Hearts are not playing. Their fans couldn't wait to get rid of Pressley.

The fans of every club he's managed couldn't wait to see the back of him.  He must have the worst managerial record in the UK.

Great player and captain for us, but an utter bawbag of man.

Diadora Van Basten

He’s right the appointment of Stendall took too long and he then took a long time to get to grips with Scottish football.

john brownlee
8 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Both these Huns would burn bridges in a second to jump on the Hun bandwagon.better without them.