Taking care of your physical and mental health during lockdown

redm

hisnameisdrewbusby

Guys, if you want to join the wee community of The Changing Room @ Big Hearts, you'll find a group of others who support each other through mental health difficulties as they all they know what it is like to suffer and not find support in places that they'd hoped.  Only thing to say about people you feel have treated you badly - their reaction can simply be down to not knowing what to say or do, or fear of hearing something upsetting, when all most guys want is someone to listen to them. If they can't learn and adapt to that then you'd be better seeking support elsewhere.

You can get involved simply by contacting me on [email protected] - it's all free and even if we can't have a group meetings right now, they will be back soon and we'll have video calls and potentially wee (well spaced) walks for 2 / 3 at a time.

Dougie

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• hisnameisdrewbusby

• Doctor FinnBarr

• PTBCAL

Doctor FinnBarr
On 21/11/2020 at 07:22, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I'm struggling to type this (for all to see) as my brother has had a dose of Covid (but all is well on that front). My dad is in care (check the dementia thread) but after posting about his condition I found tears running down my face and I'm a "mans man" so don't cry. I have a very loving wife who spotted the signs and really helped me through this, thanks Nikki. (feckin greetin again)

Wee update folks, we lost dad in March last year, he just gave up. Me? Thought I might feel better after dad had gone but things just got worse, wife found me on the kitchen floor crying my eyes out (no drink involved). She forced me into phoning the local GP, when they phoned back I had to hand her the phone as I couldn't handle talking to a stranger. Been put onto a tablet described as the modern day "mothers little helper". Doing its job TBH.

rudi must stay
14 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Wee update folks, we lost dad in March last year, he just gave up. Me? Thought I might feel better after dad had gone but things just got worse, wife found me on the kitchen floor crying my eyes out (no drink involved). She forced me into phoning the local GP, when they phoned back I had to hand her the phone as I couldn't handle talking to a stranger. Been put onto a tablet described as the modern day "mothers little helper". Doing its job TBH.

Yes the drugs work 

On 04/01/2022 at 01:49, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Sorry to hear about you dad. Glad you've got such a supportive partner and that you've managed to get some help from the GP. Stick in there, time is a great healer and I hope you're in a much better place soon. Good on you for opening up about it, takes real guts to do that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2022 at 01:49, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Good to hear you have sought professional help and its working. Keep talking and people will listen. 

rudi must stay

So I saw the psychologist again. This time he had the cheek to ask me what I want from psychology, my parents take me their every week and I have to go, course I said to talk and he liked that one. The worst thing about the psychiatry is that smug looking on their faces, oh he thinks this he mad. To those that value it they are just kidding themselves

Jambo_jim2001

Never had any mental health issues myself,,my brother is bipolar so I see the effects first hand,,I can't help him as such I can only be here for him in his manic episode's.he is glad he has someone to lean on from time to time and able to listen to his fears and worries.mostly so at this time of years with long dark nights gets him really down.please anyone mental health is nothing to be ashamed about,,please reach out and speak to someone

• 2 weeks later...
rudi must stay

New psychiatrist I meet her on Thursday. This is how it may go

"I am the most powerful psychiatrist in the world. You cannot leave I forbid it"

Leaves

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2022 at 10:26, rudi must stay said:

New psychiatrist I meet her on Thursday. This is how it may go

"I am the most powerful psychiatrist in the world. You cannot leave I forbid it"

Leaves

I can't imagine it's going to help if you go in with that attitude.

rudi must stay
40 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I can't imagine it's going to help if you go in with that attitude.

Psychiatry does not help it hinders. It knocks you it alienates you it questions and condemns your every move for sport. See they can't do what they did last century so they've got clever, these people believe the mentally ill are not at the same level as them so they use them, and as it's considered fair enough they have no soul about it. But I do believe it will meet its match it will diagnose someone it shouldn't have and face the consequences as that's where it lives words that they hide behind  

13 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Psychiatry does not help it hinders. It knocks you it alienates you it questions and condemns your every move for sport. See they can't do what they did last century so they've got clever, these people believe the mentally ill are not at the same level as them so they use them, and as it's considered fair enough they have no soul about it. But I do believe it will meet its match it will diagnose someone it shouldn't have and face the consequences as that's where it lives words that they hide behind  

Sounds like paranoia to me. 

rudi must stay
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Sounds like paranoia to me. 

I have psychiatry sussed, in my opinion there is no place for it in the 21st Century. You should watch videos of Thomas Szasz on YouTube

hisnameisdrewbusby
3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I have psychiatry sussed, in my opinion there is no place for it in the 21st Century. You should watch videos of Thomas Szasz on YouTube

Quote for you from a paper I've read about Szasz's views. No such thing as mental illness? Critical reflections on the major ideas and legacy of Thomas Szasz (nih.gov)

"Illnesses are understood, according to Szasz,3 with respect to deviation from a norm, and in the case of physical illness the norm refers to the structural or functional integrity of the body or some aspect of it. But the norm – deviation from which results in so-called mental illness – is altogether more problematic for Szasz; this norm is a ‘psychosocial and ethical one’.3 With this as the case, first, the search for a medical remedy seems poorly justified, and second, the points where diagnostic lines are drawn are bound, according to Szasz, to be somewhat arbitrary.

Szasz did not deny that humans have difficulties but he preferred to conceptualise them not as mental illnesses or as diseases, but as ‘problems in living’.1 Nor did he deny psychiatrists a role in assisting individuals with problems. Psychiatrists could have a legitimate role to play but the ideal relationship between psychiatrist and patient, for Szasz, should be based on consensual contract rather than coercion."

My interpretation is the he was saying the mental illness can't be called an illness because it's not a physical thing where part of your body is damaged e.g. heart disease, kidney stones, pneumonia,  whatever.  But, even if he didn't like the term illness, he doesn't seem to say that people can't seek and be given help.  Article does say that Psychiatrists (and lots of others in a person's life) could have a legitimate role...as long as the person's relationship with their psychiatrist is consensual.  Reckon we're way past a time where a chat with a Psychiatrist is anything other than consensual, though maybe it doesn't feel that way to you.

Sorry for going all pseudo-intellectual on you here but I think the underlying point of Szasz's argument is about everyday ups and downs being lumped in with severe and enduring mental issues, which has led to an ever increasing number of 'conditions' being categorised and medicalised. (Have to say I agree with him on that as it seem to be a Westernised thing.) What he's not saying, is that people don't need help, or, that this help shouldn't come from a Psychiatrist or other's in a person life.

Should add: I'm not a Dr or medical professional, just studied and read a fair bit about mental health and treatment.  I hope you find a treatment that works for you.

rudi must stay
34 minutes ago, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

Quote for you from a paper I've read about Szasz's views. No such thing as mental illness? Critical reflections on the major ideas and legacy of Thomas Szasz (nih.gov)

"Illnesses are understood, according to Szasz,3 with respect to deviation from a norm, and in the case of physical illness the norm refers to the structural or functional integrity of the body or some aspect of it. But the norm – deviation from which results in so-called mental illness – is altogether more problematic for Szasz; this norm is a ‘psychosocial and ethical one’.3 With this as the case, first, the search for a medical remedy seems poorly justified, and second, the points where diagnostic lines are drawn are bound, according to Szasz, to be somewhat arbitrary.

Szasz did not deny that humans have difficulties but he preferred to conceptualise them not as mental illnesses or as diseases, but as ‘problems in living’.1 Nor did he deny psychiatrists a role in assisting individuals with problems. Psychiatrists could have a legitimate role to play but the ideal relationship between psychiatrist and patient, for Szasz, should be based on consensual contract rather than coercion."

My interpretation is the he was saying the mental illness can't be called an illness because it's not a physical thing where part of your body is damaged e.g. heart disease, kidney stones, pneumonia,  whatever.  But, even if he didn't like the term illness, he doesn't seem to say that people can't seek and be given help.  Article does say that Psychiatrists (and lots of others in a person's life) could have a legitimate role...as long as the person's relationship with their psychiatrist is consensual.  Reckon we're way past a time where a chat with a Psychiatrist is anything other than consensual, though maybe it doesn't feel that way to you.

Sorry for going all pseudo-intellectual on you here but I think the underlying point of Szasz's argument is about everyday ups and downs being lumped in with severe and enduring mental issues, which has led to an ever increasing number of 'conditions' being categorised and medicalised. (Have to say I agree with him on that as it seem to be a Westernised thing.) What he's not saying, is that people don't need help, or, that this help shouldn't come from a Psychiatrist or other's in a person life.

Should add: I'm not a Dr or medical professional, just studied and read a fair bit about mental health and treatment.  I hope you find a treatment that works for you.

This is a great post. Yes Szasz was a great man, no BS about him no big words to trip others up although he knew them. The type of chap you'd buy a beer for and let him talk, a Kickback hero I propose 

• 1 month later...
No Idle Talk

I am so struggling. And it's not even to do with covid or lockdowns or any of that. It's just who I am. 

I hope the people who are normally OK but are struggling because of Covid or whatever manage to find the way to feel better again. Good people will usually come good and I sense there are a lot of good people on here. 

HHGH

hisnameisdrewbusby
13 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I am so struggling. And it's not even to do with covid or lockdowns or any of that. It's just who I am. 

I hope the people who are normally OK but are struggling because of Covid or whatever manage to find the way to feel better again. Good people will usually come good and I sense there are a lot of good people on here. 

HHGH

Well done for saying 'out loud' that you are struggling.  Don't know if you have talked to anyone about how you feel, but if this is the start - well done.  I can only suggest:

- going to you GP if you haven't already,

- keep on coming on here - as you've said there are a lot of good people on here, and

- get in touch with The Changing Room @BigHearts on [email protected] - there are plenty of good folk who come to that and find that there are lots of people who feel the same and are able to support each other through it.

Take care,

Dougie

No Idle Talk
20 hours ago, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

Well done for saying 'out loud' that you are struggling.  Don't know if you have talked to anyone about how you feel, but if this is the start - well done.  I can only suggest:

- keep on coming on here - as you've said there are a lot of good people on here, and

- get in touch with The Changing Room @BigHearts on [email protected] - there are plenty of good folk who come to that and find that there are lots of people who feel the same and are able to support each other through it.

Take care,

Dougie

Cheers mate. 🙂

rudi must stay
On 06/04/2022 at 15:44, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

Take care,

Dougie

The GP? 2 minutes while he looks at his watch. Na mate that's your first error Dougie. He'll just put you on pills anyway. Life is to be lived not tranquilized, meet your friends let them build you up. Anyway life is not plain sailing you have your ups and downs and that's how it is 

hisnameisdrewbusby
On 09/04/2022 at 09:43, rudi must stay said:

The GP? 2 minutes while he looks at his watch. Na mate that's your first error Dougie. He'll just put you on pills anyway. Life is to be lived not tranquilized, meet your friends let them build you up. Anyway life is not plain sailing you have your ups and downs and that's how it is 

I know where you are coming from Rudi, but there's no one perfect solution for everyone. Whether or not a diagnosis is helpful for managing ourselves going forward, it is the access point to further help if needed (as that might work for some).  And, for people in work, it gives them various rights against disability discrimination Equality Act 2010 - Mind

Keep doing whatever works for you though!

• 2 weeks later...
No Idle Talk

Hearts beat Hibs. Liverpool beat Man City. My pool team won the league. Liverpool walloped Man Utd. 

This has been a great week thus far. 

Heart is lifted. 😊

rudi must stay
On 20/04/2022 at 01:43, No Idle Talk said:

Hearts beat Hibs. Liverpool beat Man City. My pool team won the league. Liverpool walloped Man Utd. 

This has been a great week thus far. 

Heart is lifted. 😊

I like to see a Hearts badge as a pic well done 

• 3 weeks later...
chuck berrys hairline

Fellow jambos im wondering if anyone can help a member of my family. 

I lost my stepdaughter to suicide 6 weeks ago she was only 17. My ex partner my sons mother is feeling very vulnerable rigjt now and needs someone to speak to for her mental health. She suffers from depression and anxiety but had turned her life around before this tragedy and shes worried about herself. 

Her nurse says its 6 weeks till she can see a CPN but she feels she needs to talk to someone sooner.

Her old mental health worker who works with SAMH has referred her back for their seevices.

Im just wondering is there any groups charities or helplines she can phone to talk to someone asap as she feels she needs a neutral ear instead of family or friends.

✌ n 💜

• Maple Leaf unpinned this topic