Taking care of your physical and mental health during lockdown

redm

33 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I'm done man,  I mean really really done.

I've an ex I still love and whoe still loves me we have lovely kids together, I left the family home because it got too much and she randomly got me arrested because our daughter got sun burnt and she said it was a rash, I found out went mental and walked away at the hospital and what i didn't know is she staged me hitting her on her phone when she was actually punching and kicking me and I was trying to get past her.

Anyway, she done the arrest shite when my dad was in hospital getting s marrow transfusion having had cancer in his mouth before;  so my two brothers decided to make my partners life hell (I went to my mums when I left my ex at the hospital).   

Even now they cant keep their ****ing nose out stuff.  I left her last year but have been trying since January.  Because i've been trying my brothers fallen out with me massively.

Anyway its came to it now.  I'm done.

I genuinely want to die.  And it doesn't even scare me to say.  I want to die.

I'm done pleasing others done being the bad one and done not seeing my babies.

Kickback you're the best place in the world.  And my post about having no money and the legend sent it and I've sent back, it's because I've nobody.  I put everything into my relationship and my family, forgot my mates and now im in a decent enough flat but on my own.  I simply can't and wont do it anymore.

Sorry you're having a hard time @Last Laff
I'm afraid I've no real advice for you other than to suggest posting on this thread. It may not seem like it now, but things can and will get better.

The support and understanding on there is really amazing.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• hisnameisdrewbusby

• Doctor FinnBarr

• PTBCAL

54 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I'm done man,  I mean really really done.

I've an ex I still love and whoe still loves me we have lovely kids together, I left the family home because it got too much and she randomly got me arrested because our daughter got sun burnt and she said it was a rash, I found out went mental and walked away at the hospital and what i didn't know is she staged me hitting her on her phone when she was actually punching and kicking me and I was trying to get past her.

Anyway, she done the arrest shite when my dad was in hospital getting s marrow transfusion having had cancer in his mouth before;  so my two brothers decided to make my partners life hell (I went to my mums when I left my ex at the hospital).   

Even now they cant keep their ****ing nose out stuff.  I left her last year but have been trying since January.  Because i've been trying my brothers fallen out with me massively.

Anyway its came to it now.  I'm done.

I genuinely want to die.  And it doesn't even scare me to say.  I want to die.

I'm done pleasing others done being the bad one and done not seeing my babies.

Kickback you're the best place in the world.  And my post about having no money and the legend sent it and I've sent back, it's because I've nobody.  I put everything into my relationship and my family, forgot my mates and now im in a decent enough flat but on my own.  I simply can't and wont do it anymore.

You need to speak to someone totally detached from your whole situation.
There are places like Samaritans you can call and people will listen and not judge. I’ve a friend who does voluntary work manning the phone lines and she says it’s all very much about being an ear. I think go there are a couple of other services that you can text if you feel uncomfortable talking. 

It sounds like a tough time you’ve been going through and people close to you won’t always be the best as they will have opinions before you talk to them. I hope you get it sorted and to a better place in yourself mate. It won’t be quick but it will get better. 

16 hours ago, Tazio said:

You need to speak to someone totally detached from your whole situation.
There are places like Samaritans you can call and people will listen and not judge. I’ve a friend who does voluntary work manning the phone lines and she says it’s all very much about being an ear. I think go there are a couple of other services that you can text if you feel uncomfortable talking. 

It sounds like a tough time you’ve been going through and people close to you won’t always be the best as they will have opinions before you talk to them. I hope you get it sorted and to a better place in yourself mate. It won’t be quick but it will get better. 

Thank you Tazio. :)

16 hours ago, Alex said:

Sorry you're having a hard time @Last Laff
I'm afraid I've no real advice for you other than to suggest posting on this thread. It may not seem like it now, but things can and will get better.

The support and understanding on there is really amazing.

Thanks Alex, I'm in an avoid everything mood today I'm not being rude, it's really appreciated. 

rudi must stay

If you have breathe in your body and strength you can turn things around @Last Laff. These days I am a cripple with pain everywhere. Every day is difficult and I hate it. 

2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

If you have breathe in your body and strength you can turn things around @Last Laff. These days I am a cripple with pain everywhere. Every day is difficult and I hate it. 

Sorry to hear that mate and puts things into perspective. 

hisnameisdrewbusby

Just want to confirm what other guys have said on hear @Last Laff. It would have been hard to post what you've said here, but believe it or not it is a good thing to get thoughts like that out of your head and into the open. So well done for sharing. 

Like @Tazio said, talking to someone detached from your situation will help.  Plenty of guys at The Changing Room project have come along and done that and there's no advice, just other guys with different stories and similar thoughts whose shared experience helps both the others and themselves. By getting their thoughts out in the open, they rationalise that it is their brain playing tricks with them and that there are reasons to look forward, even if it part of getting better means tough choices about walking away from the source of their mental torture   

To brazenly pinch the catch phrase from a great supporter of The Changing Room - try and see the opportunity rather than the challenge - we can all get stuck in the habit of making a backward pass when we see that gnarly full back, but better to think how good you'll feel when you take him on, get round him and get a cross in.  If that's maybe a bit cryptic, us guys tend to bottle up our bad thoughts, cut ourselves of from others and retreat to our man cave and try to blank out the bad thoughts - as folk who've done that will tell you,  it doesn't work and actually making yourself do things like sticking to a good routine, getting out and connecting with others (and nature) might feel the tougher option, but it is much better for us.

Here's a link to some pages with support options and ideas to help you take on your challenge and see the opportunity.

Find help from SAMH | SAMH 

Mental wellbeing and coronavirus | SAMH

The Changing Room

Dougie

Robbo-Jambo
On 06/07/2021 at 00:05, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

Just want to confirm what other guys have said on hear @Last Laff. It would have been hard to post what you've said here, but believe it or not it is a good thing to get thoughts like that out of your head and into the open. So well done for sharing. 

Like @Tazio said, talking to someone detached from your situation will help.  Plenty of guys at The Changing Room project have come along and done that and there's no advice, just other guys with different stories and similar thoughts whose shared experience helps both the others and themselves. By getting their thoughts out in the open, they rationalise that it is their brain playing tricks with them and that there are reasons to look forward, even if it part of getting better means tough choices about walking away from the source of their mental torture   

To brazenly pinch the catch phrase from a great supporter of The Changing Room - try and see the opportunity rather than the challenge - we can all get stuck in the habit of making a backward pass when we see that gnarly full back, but better to think how good you'll feel when you take him on, get round him and get a cross in.  If that's maybe a bit cryptic, us guys tend to bottle up our bad thoughts, cut ourselves of from others and retreat to our man cave and try to blank out the bad thoughts - as folk who've done that will tell you,  it doesn't work and actually making yourself do things like sticking to a good routine, getting out and connecting with others (and nature) might feel the tougher option, but it is much better for us.

Here's a link to some pages with support options and ideas to help you take on your challenge and see the opportunity.

Find help from SAMH | SAMH 

Mental wellbeing and coronavirus | SAMH

The Changing Room

Dougie

Brilliant post and advice. 👍

rudi must stay

I think I need to get myself off the pills. They have done nothing for me and I enjoyed life more when I wasn't on them. 

hisnameisdrewbusby
3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I think I need to get myself off the pills. They have done nothing for me and I enjoyed life more when I wasn't on them. 

There have been some Changing Room guys who've said and done the same @rudi must stay. Though some still believe that they are working for them.  I'm no Doc here, so only a note of caution for you - be careful. From what I understand, your GP can't recommend this, but you can tell them that you want to do this and need advice how to do it safely.

All the best,

Dougie

rudi must stay
14 hours ago, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

There have been some Changing Room guys who've said and done the same @rudi must stay. Though some still believe that they are working for them.  I'm no Doc here, so only a note of caution for you - be careful. From what I understand, your GP can't recommend this, but you can tell them that you want to do this and need advice how to do it safely.

All the best,

Dougie

It's a long story but I have been to be honest branded with a title that's a lot of rubbish. I used to like it but this sort of thing affects your work and how people look at you. It's offensive, and it was given to me after 2 minutes. But I appreciate the advice and I do have patience, that's one things all this has given me patience 

hisnameisdrewbusby
5 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

It's a long story but I have been to be honest branded with a title that's a lot of rubbish. I used to like it but this sort of thing affects your work and how people look at you. It's offensive, and it was given to me after 2 minutes. But I appreciate the advice and I do have patience, that's one things all this has given me patience 

Having patience is a great strength - I reckon it's linked to being resilient and keeping sticking up for yourself. Keep on keeping on!  I'm guessing when you say branded and this stuff affecting your work - here's a link to something called the SeeMe campaign that aims to get rid of stigma and discrimination. It has lots of resources See Me | Understanding Mental Health Stigma and Discrimination (seemescotland.org) and free e-learning that covers rights at work for people who suffer mental health issues See Me | E-Learning (seemescotland.org) (Its easy to dip in an out so not a giant time spend in one go). 

rudi must stay
15 hours ago, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

Having patience is a great strength - I reckon it's linked to being resilient and keeping sticking up for yourself. Keep on keeping on!  I'm guessing when you say branded and this stuff affecting your work - here's a link to something called the SeeMe campaign that aims to get rid of stigma and discrimination. It has lots of resources See Me | Understanding Mental Health Stigma and Discrimination (seemescotland.org) and free e-learning that covers rights at work for people who suffer mental health issues See Me | E-Learning (seemescotland.org) (Its easy to dip in an out so not a giant time spend in one go). 

These links are useful for someone with mental illness but not me. I am as sharp as I've ever been upstairs. My problem lie in other places, to others they appear mental, but to me they make sense 

rudi must stay

So that's me on less pills and I must say I feel less anxious and more positive about things. I have left a wee Google review, I don't like to be talked down to by people. So I'm not the sharpest guy but I don't appreciate that

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
rudi must stay

Tell you what cheers me up abit, exercise. I feel like I've done more if I throw in some sport. By the way I'm sorry for all the posts I wish I could delete some so moderators feel free to 

Life throws us many hurdles, I am at present in conflict with our Strata council.  The President is a nasty little bitch,and making life as difficult as she can for me and is in a position where by not doing what she is obligated to do leaves me limited ways to in fact achieve my purpose without expensive legal fees. We have a neighbour who is known as the neighborhood gossip, he doesn't like me, having at one time responded to something I said to a friend of his. Prior to retirement he was a steelworker, and believes he is tough, as many of his ilk find when you come in fighting fashion you may meet someone who figures himself, no bad himself,, and regardless of result will not back down,  I guess reputation and previous experience sagged when he saw someone with angry glaring eyes, a sign that got me in Niddrie dubbed big blue eyes, take the stance, it was a signal that his current idea was not his best. However as the Pied Piper as I refer to him, he goes around spreading his gossip which is I have heard ,negative about me, and like the Pied Piper has got some of the recipients believe what is said about Bob Sharp. The result is my life has become one of extreme loneliness, it of course that for other reasons is not new to me. 

I have not sought advice, I talk regularly to my son, I still am a non drinker or smoker, I get down, but I am a believer in the adage when the going gets tough the tough get going. When I was the Chief of a police department I sat in a grievance process, during this the Officer subject of the case, said " You won't remember this Sir, " his representative the Union President immediately told him to stop talking and said, indicating me " this mans memory is a thing of legend in this department, he doesn't forget anything, and he will hold a grudge forever" No  very nice but actually very supportive, when as at present I think of days and comments like that, and I consider who I am then I come out of my depression discard my total loneliness and get a smile thinking of my future actions and grudge satisfaction and get a wee smile on my face. My other motto, **** with the bull, and you are gonna get the horn. So never Kamerad like they did in the war, never be a prisoner, and never take prisoners, administer punishment as appropriate, verbal, written, or basic humiliation, very satisfying.

On 27/08/2021 at 16:06, Sharpie said:

Life throws us many hurdles, I am at present in conflict with our Strata council.  The President is a nasty little bitch,and making life as difficult as she can for me and is in a position where by not doing what she is obligated to do leaves me limited ways to in fact achieve my purpose without expensive legal fees. We have a neighbour who is known as the neighborhood gossip, he doesn't like me, having at one time responded to something I said to a friend of his. Prior to retirement he was a steelworker, and believes he is tough, as many of his ilk find when you come in fighting fashion you may meet someone who figures himself, no bad himself,, and regardless of result will not back down,  I guess reputation and previous experience sagged when he saw someone with angry glaring eyes, a sign that got me in Niddrie dubbed big blue eyes, take the stance, it was a signal that his current idea was not his best. However as the Pied Piper as I refer to him, he goes around spreading his gossip which is I have heard ,negative about me, and like the Pied Piper has got some of the recipients believe what is said about Bob Sharp. The result is my life has become one of extreme loneliness, it of course that for other reasons is not new to me. 

I have not sought advice, I talk regularly to my son, I still am a non drinker or smoker, I get down, but I am a believer in the adage when the going gets tough the tough get going. When I was the Chief of a police department I sat in a grievance process, during this the Officer subject of the case, said " You won't remember this Sir, " his representative the Union President immediately told him to stop talking and said, indicating me " this mans memory is a thing of legend in this department, he doesn't forget anything, and he will hold a grudge forever" No  very nice but actually very supportive, when as at present I think of days and comments like that, and I consider who I am then I come out of my depression discard my total loneliness and get a smile thinking of my future actions and grudge satisfaction and get a wee smile on my face. My other motto, **** with the bull, and you are gonna get the horn. So never Kamerad like they did in the war, never be a prisoner, and never take prisoners, administer punishment as appropriate, verbal, written, or basic humiliation, very satisfying.

Where in Canada are you based?

• 1 month later...

Due back at work tomorrow after a long weekend , A long weekend stuck in bed with the flu . Feeling horrible breath in get a choking cough , nose and ears are blocked , going hot and cold and cannot sleep . 

I would normally just call in sick but my work announced a incentive on the lead up to Christmas. If your not off from the start of October to the 31st of December you will be paid a bonus in the Jan wage . If your off 1 day you loose £220 2 days £330 and if your off 3 days loose it all . 

Covid is the only sickness they will allow to be off with and keep the bonus! I don’t have Covid I have done a lat flow and a test came back negative. So I’m sitting here on a Monday night on the fence do I go in or do I stay off . I’m not feeling well and I could go in and spread it ( I have probably caught this from someone not wanting to be off last week ) 

anyway my rant over 😕

( I have asked a friend who said he would stay off for his health , you could go in and take longer to shift . Don’t take any bonus into account 3 weeks ago I wasn’t even aware of getting one . It should be a factor into taking time off ill. )

Edited by Stu_HMFC

gromitmoonglade
On 11/10/2021 at 20:37, Stu_HMFC said:

Due back at work tomorrow after a long weekend , A long weekend stuck in bed with the flu . Feeling horrible breath in get a choking cough , nose and ears are blocked , going hot and cold and cannot sleep . 

I would normally just call in sick but my work announced a incentive on the lead up to Christmas. If your not off from the start of October to the 31st of December you will be paid a bonus in the Jan wage . If your off 1 day you loose £220 2 days £330 and if your off 3 days loose it all . 

Covid is the only sickness they will allow to be off with and keep the bonus! I don’t have Covid I have done a lat flow and a test came back negative. So I’m sitting here on a Monday night on the fence do I go in or do I stay off . I’m not feeling well and I could go in and spread it ( I have probably caught this from someone not wanting to be off last week ) 

anyway my rant over 😕

( I have asked a friend who said he would stay off for his health , you could go in and take longer to shift . Don’t take any bonus into account 3 weeks ago I wasn’t even aware of getting one . It should be a factor into taking time off ill. )

The fact that they’re making you come in sick is bonkers mate. But I get where you’re coming from. When this whole thing kicked off, I was among the first to get laid off. Six months ago, I’d do a lot for a steady paycheck, let alone a hefty bonus. One thing I’ve learned this past year is that our well-being should come first. 

That place that laid me off? I’ve worked there for 10 years. Their needs always came first. There was a period of time where I had no social life. The company was developing a new location, and I was the one who made it all go smoothly. When push came to shove, I was the first one out the door. I won’t name them, but they’re one of the names on this list http://www.headlinecasinos.com/casinos/brands/ . So there I was, being escorted out the door by security (company policy lol), carrying my box of things, when it hit me. 

I’ve given them 10 years of my life, countless unpaid overtime hours, and it all meant nothing to them. That whole experience was so revolting that I had to change industries. Lucky for me, I’ve found a great employer who values me as a human being first and foremost, but I’m not making the same mistake again. From now on it’s me, my fam, my friends, and then my work. In that order. 

40 minutes ago, gromitmoonglade said:

The fact that they’re making you come in sick is bonkers mate. But I get where you’re coming from. When this whole thing kicked off, I was among the first to get laid off. Six months ago, I’d do a lot for a steady paycheck, let alone a hefty bonus. One thing I’ve learned this past year is that our well-being should come first. 

That place that laid me off? I’ve worked there for 10 years. Their needs always came first. There was a period of time where I had no social life. The company was developing a new location, and I was the one who made it all go smoothly. When push came to shove, I was the first one out the door. I won’t name them, but they’re one of the names on this list http://www.headlinecasinos.com/casinos/brands/ . So there I was, being escorted out the door by security (company policy lol), carrying my box of things, when it hit me. 

I’ve given them 10 years of my life, countless unpaid overtime hours, and it all meant nothing to them. That whole experience was so revolting that I had to change industries. Lucky for me, I’ve found a great employer who values me as a human being first and foremost, but I’m not making the same mistake again. From now on it’s me, my fam, my friends, and then my work. In that order. 

Cheers mate! That sucks man the way some places can treat staff who have developed a fairly long tenure within the business. 

My situation I’m in now was I wasn’t well enough to go in so stayed off after a negative Covid test . I went to the doctors on Wednesday and it’s a chest infection with a heavy flu , I’ve lost my taste and smell it’s horrible . 

If I’m not back at work on Tuesday I need a doc sick line the doctor told me on Wednesday that I’m to call the reception leave a message he will get one written and I’ll go down and collect , I’m not going back until I’m 100% fit and my taste and smell is back . The bonus is gone now I’m not fussed . I could of went in during all of this to make sure I get it but I would of mate myself worse . 

I struggle to do things socially 

I rarely leave the house other than gym and kids football. I never socialise 

or go to bars etc I just can’t. 

I bought a ticket for a concert months ago when I was feeling a bit better but as usual as the day approached I got anxious and looked for reasons not to go. I dreaded having to go out of my comfort zone. 

My 15 daughter kept telling me to go and kinda bullied me into going - she doesn’t know anything how I feel but she knows I don’t go out and haven’t done for a few years. 

So for her sake I got a bus, went alone. Didn’t even have a soft drink. 

But I really enjoyed myself, felt almost normal for an hour or so… really enjoyed it 

Thanks Skye 🥰 and thanks Mr Jobson 🙌

hisnameisdrewbusby
On 22/10/2021 at 23:53, PTBCAL said:

I struggle to do things socially 

I rarely leave the house other than gym and kids football. I never socialise 

or go to bars etc I just can’t. 

I bought a ticket for a concert months ago when I was feeling a bit better but as usual as the day approached I got anxious and looked for reasons not to go. I dreaded having to go out of my comfort zone. 

My 15 daughter kept telling me to go and kinda bullied me into going - she doesn’t know anything how I feel but she knows I don’t go out and haven’t done for a few years. 

So for her sake I got a bus, went alone. Didn’t even have a soft drink. 

But I really enjoyed myself, felt almost normal for an hour or so… really enjoyed it 

Thanks Skye 🥰 and thanks Mr Jobson 🙌

Well done!  That anxious feeling is something that happens to lots of people and it can be real fight with yourself to overcome it. So, at risk of repeating myself, well done.  Try and capture that feeling of how much you enjoyed yourself and next time you're head is telling you not to go somewhere / not to do something - tell it to "get lost" (other phrases are available) and get out there and do it.  You know from experience that it makes you feel better.  The trick thereafter is to keep on doing stuff so that it get's easier to tell your anxious self to go and do one!

And, here's my wee sales pitch - The Changing Room is on at Tynie tonight and is designed to help guys tackle the sort of thing you are experiencing. If you're available - then get yourself to Wheatfield turnstiles for 5:50pm when I'll be meeting others and letting them in for tonight's session. You can get me on [email protected] on 0131 603 4929.  More info here The Changing Room | Big Hearts

Dougie

hisnameisdrewbusby
21 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

CBT soon. Looked up the lady, she looks up to scratch 

Good for you. Stick with it.  

rudi must stay
5 hours ago, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

Good for you. Stick with it.  

Just one snag. They say it doesn't work with people who have learning difficulties. Maybe I'll tell her, can't stand these doctor types anyway having had a life full of them 

A person can be smiling and chatty 24/7 but inside they’re struggling by .

That was how I felt for a long time in the last year, never thought I’d be that person but I now know I was  , but thanks to the love of family and friends I’ve got back to near full health , still have what my wife calls “ quiet days” , however I know what helps me and I get through.

I know I wasn’t  anywhere near the position some find themselves in but maybe by seeing some others have small victories in the battle it can help them gain the strength to get their health back . Only advice I can really give is talk to someone , anyone, but don’t bottle it up and don’t be ashamed to ask for help . 

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

A person can be smiling and chatty 24/7 but inside they’re struggling by .

That was how I felt for a long time in the last year, never thought I’d be that person but I now know I was  , but thanks to the love of family and friends I’ve got back to near full health , still have what my wife calls “ quiet days” , however I know what helps me and I get through.

I know I wasn’t  anywhere near the position some find themselves in but maybe by seeing some others have small victories in the battle it can help them gain the strength to get their health back . Only advice I can really give is talk to someone , anyone, but don’t bottle it up and don’t be ashamed to ask for help . 

Did you think you were the pontiff 

rudi must stay
7 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m not sure what you mean ?

Just a joke, my sense of humour. I use this place to try and cheer myself up 

8 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Just a joke, my sense of humour. I use this place to try and cheer myself up 

Whoosh moment from me then 🙈

it would certainly be interesting if I was made pontiff though 😂

On 25/10/2021 at 12:43, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

Well done!  That anxious feeling is something that happens to lots of people and it can be real fight with yourself to overcome it. So, at risk of repeating myself, well done.  Try and capture that feeling of how much you enjoyed yourself and next time you're head is telling you not to go somewhere / not to do something - tell it to "get lost" (other phrases are available) and get out there and do it.  You know from experience that it makes you feel better.  The trick thereafter is to keep on doing stuff so that it get's easier to tell your anxious self to go and do one!

And, here's my wee sales pitch - The Changing Room is on at Tynie tonight and is designed to help guys tackle the sort of thing you are experiencing. If you're available - then get yourself to Wheatfield turnstiles for 5:50pm when I'll be meeting others and letting them in for tonight's session. You can get me on [email protected] on 0131 603 4929.  More info here The Changing Room | Big Hearts

Dougie

Dougie 

Thanks - I already go every week. You just don’t realise who I am 😉… I’ll let on this Monday. 

But genuinely thank you 

rudi must stay
On 29/10/2021 at 21:10, PTBCAL said:

Dougie 

Thanks - I already go every week. You just don’t realise who I am 😉… I’ll let on this Monday. 

But genuinely thank you 

You not been announcing any signings?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 15:04, Jambo 4 Ever said:

How you getting on now mate?

Im ok thanks 

Dont do much other than kids football and gym but pretty good tbh. I’m taking my boys to Motherwell but I’ll go for a long run during the match. I’ll get back to watching us - I’m going to a couple in December I hope 

Genuinely appreciate you asking 

Thank you 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At the start of COVID I decided to do a masters and had an on-site warehouse job throughout. I then started work with a company which required working in the office.

This past week has been my first experience of "working from home".

I realise that there are thousands of people who have been dealing with this set-up for nearly two years but it's completely brand new to me and my friends don't really have any simpathy. 

How do I manage my time? So far this week I've been waking up half hour before I start work and working from my bed. I've gone five days without getting out of bed unless I need to eat or go to the toilet. 

I would really appreciate an experienced response to this, because currently I feel demotivated and frankly I feel really down which is in stark contrast to how I normally feel on a friday.

4 hours ago, BigAlim said:

At the start of COVID I decided to do a masters and had an on-site warehouse job throughout. I then started work with a company which required working in the office.

I realise that there are thousands of people who have been dealing with this set-up for nearly two years but it's completely brand new to me and my friends don't really have any simpathy. 

How do I manage my time? So far this week I've been waking up half hour before I start work and working from my bed. I've gone five days without getting out of bed unless I need to eat or go to the toilet. 

I would really appreciate an experienced response to this, because currently I feel demotivated and frankly I feel really down which is in stark contrast to how I normally feel on a friday.

You might find you naturally get into a better routine. I was full time working from home for about two months at the start of this and sat in my jammies and kept the camera off so I didn't have to wash my hair.

After a few weeks the 'novelty' wore off. I'd go for a walk in the morning or started doing the couch to 5K at lunchtime. Do you have space that you can set up a wee desk? I've made the corner of my kitchen my work area and other than eating my body weight in toast for a while, it's worked out well for me. We didn't have team meetings so I'd join any training or awareness sessions on

Teams so I'd get to "see" people.

Not sure if that helps. I've been a mix of working from home and being in the office since May last year and that's really suited me. Hopefully you get to a routine that works for you.

I’ve been working from homework 4 years - absolutely love it. That will be me until I retire.

But routine is vital. 

Walk the dog 

Gym

Run 

Need to get out of the house at least twice a day - even if just for a coffee it a walk. Or Tesco’s etc 

Do not work in the bedroom - if you have a room as an office then perfect. Little things like the radio on as background distraction helps.

I tend to start at the same time most days - again routine etc 

On 17/12/2021 at 18:44, BigAlim said:

Immediately drop the working from bed thing.

Have a space (no matter how suitable) that you work from. And that's where you work. 

Get up, make a coffee/tea whatever, do some exercise, have a shower and then sit down and start work. Some people swear by continuing to dress for the office, I don't. I live in gym wear now, but it may help you.

If you get bored go and put a wash on, or prep some food etc. The joy of working from home is rather than wasting time in Starbucks, the canteen or chatting to a coworker is you can actually take a screen break and get something useful to you personally done within reason of course.

Try to schedule a regular call with someone at work, ideally your manager or team so that you retain accountability to get things done. My manager got promoted and my virtual facetime with him evaporated as did my ability to keep myself accountable to get stuff done for a bit. I've got a new manager now who has multiple catch ups scheduled throughout the week. This prevents me looking like I've been living in a bin and having not done the work, or more accurately having done other work that interests me more instead.

Whatever you used to do outside of work, retain it as best you can. It's very easy to find yourself having pied of a lot of things you used to do and before you know it you've not left the house in days.

As @PTBCAL says, routine is the key.

Also make sure you stop working. I like the flexibility of being able to not work when I don't fancy it and make up that time in my evenings instead BUT don't do both or you'll burnout. If you do set hours, do them and then stop. Sending emails at midnight isn't good for you and impresses nobody worth impressing imo.

And most importantly, don't beat yourself up if you're finding it hard. It's not the cake walk people make out. Just do the best you can, if you have a morning where you've worked from bed, allow it and enjoy it until lunch and put a hard stop on it then. Reset, and get the afternoon right. It's easy to let a bad morning, become a bad day and a bad week etc working from home. So try to recognise when it's happening and be kind to yourself about it.

Edited by Taffin

hisnameisdrewbusby

Agree with the other guys here, routine is a big factor.  Think of it like one of the 1st 11 getting ready to play - what's their pre-match routine? Regular sleep, get up, make bed, wash face/shower, breakfast, "work clothes" on, switch on work, etc.  Just an idea.  Like they say, get away from screen every 90 minutes or so, get outside at some point and be deliberate about separating work from home - if you've limited space then difficult, but switch off at end of work time, put work kit away and immediately do something else - walk, run, cycle, whatever you like to break the spell and switch your mind off from work. I'll bet no one is paying you to deal with emails in the evening, so don't look at work after switching off until you re-open your 'office' in the morning.  

There’s a fair bit of “discussion” on Twitter just now regarding mental health and football fans in the here and now  .

The lack of sympathy and empathy from some people is , to put it mildly, disgusting . 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

There’s a fair bit of “discussion” on Twitter just now regarding mental health and football fans in the here and now  .

The lack of sympathy and empathy from some people is , to put it mildly, disgusting . 

You are spot on it is disgusting. People avoid you at all costs if you have a diagnosis, I sent a few Christmas messages didn't even get some back from friends as well, why not I figure I'm crazy in their minds so don't matter. You are on your own as people don't understand so don't try to 

rudi must stay

I think the worst thing that comes from mental illness is the belief from others they can talk down to you and use you for their own means. And it takes guts to speak up, of course those guts are irrelevant as you are "crazy" you see a different side of people, people frankly repulse me 

• Maple Leaf unpinned this topic