Had the SPFL called this sporting event early..

Enzo Chiefo

Enzo Chiefo

The chaotic decision making of the SPFL has made me think about great sporting achievements of the past that might not have happened if their logic had been applied:

I'm going to start with the famous World Snooker Championship of 1985 - back in the day when snooker was the real deal- between Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor. Taylor lost the first 8 frames and was behind for most of the match before drawing level at 17-17 and eventually triumphing on the final black of the final frame.

SPFL decision: Davis victory.

Man City last game of the season had they called it after 75mins then Utd would have won the league.

Edited by Jamboelite

Auldreekie1874

We would have lost a certain New Year derby 4-2 and people to this day would be saying Graham Who?

2 minutes ago, Auldreekie1874 said:

We would have lost a certain New Year derby 4-2 and people to this day would be saying Graham Who?

Add the Stampy one.

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, Auldreekie1874 said:

Why did I forget that one? That game probably sums it up better than other. Remember my sister-in law was over from the States and she couldn't believe the atmosphere in the ground and up at Diggers afterwards. Great day

StevenNaismith

Did Gerrard not say something last year about if games finished after 80 minutes they’d have won the league and Celtic fans rightly ridiculed him?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We would have 2 more League titles at least. 

Anyone know where we were mid March in 98?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Ben Stokes would never have won that Test Match at Headingley. 

Bothams Ashes twice 

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, gjcc said:

If they’d called the 2012 final after 15 minutes hearts would have won the Scottish Cup. 

😄😄

just read about a game between charlton and huddersfield in 1957, with 30 mins to go charlton are 5-1 down and down to 10 men. the final result 7-6 to charlton 

Enzo Chiefo
7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Colin Montgomery would have won the 92 US Open and the 95 US PGA major titles. 

And Jean van de Velde the 99 Open. Mind you with his decision making on the18th that day, he would be ideally qualified to work for the SPFL

Hearts would have won the League in both 1965 and 1986 if the league had been decided in March. 

Add in 1956/57 as well (I think) 

Edited by luckydug

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The chaotic decision making of the SPFL has made me think about great sporting achievements of the past that might not have happened if their logic had been applied:

I'm going to start with the famous World Snooker Championship of 1985 - back in the day when snooker was the real deal- between Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor. Taylor lost the first 8 frames and was behind for most of the match before drawing level at 17-17 and eventually triumphing on the final black of the final frame.

Or Jimmy White strolling it against Hendry

🤣

54 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Or Jimmy White strolling it against Hendry

🤣

Remember it well. 1992. White was 14-8 ahead and just four frames from that elusive World title. I like Jimmy, always came across as a good lad, and would have been chuffed for him to have sealed it. 

However, the commentators suddenly became all Englishy. "Jimmy White is schooling this young Scot...etc.".

That was it for me and Hendry too. 10 straight frames later and whispering Ted Lowe was schooled, absolutely. 

Only time I ever allowed nationality to come onto snooker but I was provoked. 😂🎱

Edited by martoon

28 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I take it we've won the cup this season as a result of the early call....Europe here we come

IMG_20200410_184235.jpg

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, gjcc said:

If they’d called the 2012 final after 15 minutes hearts would have won the Scottish Cup. 

At 75 minutes, we'd have won 5-1. Oh wait... 

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

And Jean van de Velde the 99 Open. Mind you with his decision making on the18th that day, he would be ideally qualified to work for the SPFL

Oops, just seen this

17 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

At 75 minutes, we'd have won 5-1. Oh wait... 

Hearts did call it at 5-1. Should have been 10.

Glad it's not early August. The Rangers have always won the league before a ball is kicked.

1st August: Spfl Decision = The Rangers are Champs

St Mirren were 12th after 30 games last season, 1 point behind 11th place Dundee. They finished 11 points above 12th placed Dundee after 38 games. 

2 hours ago, lsimp77 said:

St Mirren were 12th after 30 games last season, 1 point behind 11th place Dundee. They finished 11 points above 12th placed Dundee after 38 games. 

This sums it up really. I wasn’t even slightly confident that we could have turned it around, but coming back from where we are with 8 games left isn’t really even that unusual in football terms. We ought to know, having lost a league title in the final few minutes of the season...

6 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

Man City last game of the season had they called it after 75mins then Utd would have won the league.

If the called it off after 92 mins they would have won the league.

Dens 86.

Toxteth O'Grady
6 hours ago, buba said:

Newcastle were 9 points clear and a game in hand in 95/96 season after 75% of the campaign played,. Lost the league to man utd

The Love it season

Enzo Chiefo
2 hours ago, lsimp77 said:

Didn't realise that. AB should cite that as the perfect example of why the league cannot be called without completing all fixtures.

Hackney Hearts

Twickenham last year. England 31 Scotland 0 after 31 minutes.

Might as well call this one, right? England are scoring a point a minute.

6 unanswered Scottish tries later and Scotland are leading 38-31 going into added time.

That's sport - it ain't over till it's mathematically over.

Geoff Kilpatrick
8 hours ago, Auldreekie1874 said:

After 75 minutes it was 2-2

8 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Twickenham last year. England 31 Scotland 0 after 31 minutes.

Might as well call this one, right? England are scoring a point a minute.

6 unanswered Scottish tries later and Scotland are leading 38-31 going into added time.

That's sport - it ain't over till it's mathematically over.

or how about calling it after 77 minutes where we were 38-31 ahead

Hackney Hearts
Just now, milky_26 said:

or how about calling it after 77 minutes where we were 38-31 ahead

Ideally, yes. Only one winner at that stage...

Dagger Is Back

Slight twist

On 28 Jan 1961, Denis Law scores 6 goals for Man City v Luton in a FA Cup tie.

With City leading 6-2, the game was abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch after 69 minutes.

The game was replayed, Law scored again but City lost 3-1

FarmerTweedy
10 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The 2012 Scottish Cup final result would have been completely...

...oh, no, forget that!  ;)

In the all championship final, if the game had bern called off 10 minutes or so early due to something like a pitch invasion, the new club would have won their first ever trophy and Hibs would now be 118 years in a row without ever seeing it.

There's an ethical dilemma on.net which is causing migraines.  Apparently the league should be called now on the basis of games played and Hearts should be relegated.  On the other hand, the SC absolutely has to be played to it's conclusion.

One or two with an IQ are pointing out the glaring inconsistency in that logic and are being portrayed as Yams by their fellow cabbages.

For me, I will accept relegation only if we are awarded the SC following the same process on which the league was decided.

On the other hand there is also a strong possibility of the league being reconstructed in a manner which will avoid our relegation.

Looks like a win/win to the consternation of our great oriental friends.

Auldreekie1874
9 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

After 75 minutes it was 2-2

I know, unsure why you quoted me to mention that though.