Guitar help

Swanny17

I have a double neck clone that I've been forever meaning to clean up. I found re-stringing a 12-string quite an experience with one string breaking as I turned the wrong peg.

On 15/04/2020 at 23:22, Space Pirate said:

Some of the guitars I've owned

ep5.jpg

20882890_10154618392841150_6409070790849736640_n.jpg

Top pic..now that's a beautiful looking guitar(thinking billy duffy/Kirk Brandon )type that draws us useless begiinners into spending more money in the hope of eventually sounding  better 😞

16 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Speaking of Billy Duffy, will you be taking part in the #TimsTwitterListeningParty on Sunday night?

He will be live tweeting The Cult - Love album at 9pm this Sunday, April 19th. 

Wasnt aware of it ....

Sounds good though..take it just have to search that hashtag?

6 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

If you are on Twitter, copy and paste #TimsTwitterListeningParty into the search Twitter box. 

If you are not on twitter, google #TimsTwitterListeningParty and you can watch the tweets, but not join in as much. 

I am looking forward to it. (Also, many days later, they are doing Leftfield- Leftism, )

the schedule is here - https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com

Cheers for that.

The Cult..Love is an all time classic.

Album of my youth.

11 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Have you thought about a ukulele or a banjo instead?

Nah, got my eyes on a couple of LP Epiphone guitars but just need a bit of convincing (and bottle) to take the plunge! 

I know many folk on here will say they play guitar etc and im sure most of you will have learnt by ear or learn songs from tabs. 

But do you's bothered to learn any theory? 

I was looking at lesson videos for someone i know who asked me a similar question about how to learn etc.. Imo having watched a number of videos, you will not find better lessons that make guitar theory much more clear than this guy. 

Obviously, these videos are for people that can play a few chords on the top three frets etc..

But for anyone starting. These are great lessons. You'll learn and understand a lot very quickly IF,

You can learn all the shapes of CAGE and D on the first 3 frets and the Minor Pentatonic starting at the 5th.

Learn those two things. Then you will have the basic principles.

This chap in the video will explain everything else you need to know. I think he's got about 8 videos, i haven't watched them all but he will not confuse you, he's very clear and explains things easily. 

If you can understand the CAGED system, you will be able to start to get your head around the theory. 

Not everyone obviously cares about theory and just wants to be able to strum or pick a few tunes. I know after a while you will get bored and want to experiment. 

So for those that do, have you ever tried alternative tunings? Like DGDGBD (Open G) DADGAD,  CGCGCE (open C6) these will allow you to play a lot of Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin songs. Also, these open tunings will allow you to start finger picking because most things you play will sound good, as it is an open tuning. 👍 

Greedy Jambo
7 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Nah, got my eyes on a couple of LP Epiphone guitars but just need a bit of convincing (and bottle) to take the plunge! 

See if you've got your mind set on an Epiphone, make sure you contact the shop first (use the chat option on their website) make sure they're going to set it up properly before they send it. I've had a couple of stinkers, one being from guitar guitar. 

The PRS SE range seem to be a lot more playable out of the box, but they're a bit strange looking if you're a LP man. 

Greedy Jambo
19 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Nice, that's good. Go where you are taking yourself.

Electric guitars are very versatile. 

I have a Stratocaster clone thing and a wee amp, and my Zoom H4n sound recorder can be used as a multi-effects pedal. But I hardly use my electric guitar.

I used to use an acoustic guitar a lot, and I was better at strumming than making notes. 

Then I started learning music theory, and now I mainly use a keyboard.

And then I did a terrific course with the Open University, A232 - Music, sound and technology, which was about recording and production. I set up a little recording booth in my flat, and recorded sound, then mixed and mastered those recordings. That was a lot of fun.

What experience do you have with making music?

My advice would be; follow your passion, trust in yourself.  

I have enjoyed this thread. Music and sound are very enjoyable.

I don't trust anybody that ends up playing the keyboard haha. 

Nah, having a wee recording studio in your flat sounds awesome. 

fair play. 

Greedy Jambo
Just now, Zlatanable said:

I struggle to play any instrument, I am dyspraxic, I have difficulty co-ordinating my fingers well enough.

I moved to keyboards, because to me, they helped me learning music theory. 

I am good at rhythm tho, I think I could be a decent drummer. And that is why I think I prefer an acoustic guitar, cos I can affect the sound directly. Do you know what I mean?

Oafft. love a bit of drums myself. 

It's hard to learn them without having a sound proof room though. 

I used to have a set in my garage but the neighbours soon put a stop to that. complaints galore. 

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

Nice one, you just need this for your wall now. 

72708735_2372575846315750_7738380037631508480_o.jpg

Favourite sounding chord? I do love Am7 into C.

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That's a good question. 

It's a bit like asking what my favourite colour is though. 

Too many to choose from and depends what mood i'm in.

E Minor is underrated. 

Get some Karma Police on the go. 

|Am    D/F#  |Em     G     |
|Am    F     |Em     G     |
|Am    D     |G G/F# C C/B |
|Am    Am    |Bm     D     |

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Space Pirate said:

That's a good question. 

It's a bit like asking what my favourite colour is though. 

Too many to choose from and depends what mood i'm in.

E Minor is underrated. 

Get some Karma Police on the go. 

|Am    D/F#  |Em     G     |
|Am    F     |Em     G     |
|Am    D     |G G/F# C C/B |
|Am    Am    |Bm     D     |

Yeah I much prefer E minor to E.

• 2 months later...
Greedy Jambo

Anyone got any experience with recording music?

I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to this. 

So far we've got my guitar, a laptop with ableton and a midi keyboard all connected to my stereo amp but we're only able to record it all together via the shitty laptop mic. 

Other than a decent Mic, what equipment are we missing? 

gashauskis9
On 18/04/2020 at 20:43, hmfc_liam06 said:

Love an Eb Major7 myself.  

I’m a bassist but have taken the plunge and got a cheap 6 string starter pack to learn on.

Guitarist friend has recommended getting it “set up” at a guitar shop. 
Thoughts JKB shredders?

3667D46A-CDFB-44B0-8486-995FB6A4611F.jpeg

davemclaren
16 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

I’m a bassist but have taken the plunge and got a cheap 6 string starter pack to learn on.

Guitarist friend has recommended getting it “set up” at a guitar shop. 
Thoughts JKB shredders?

3667D46A-CDFB-44B0-8486-995FB6A4611F.jpeg

Most guitars benefit from a set up so it plays how you want it to. I will cost money though but a good luthier will discuss what can and should be done. 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Most guitars benefit from a set up so it plays how you want it to. I will cost money though but a good luthier will discuss what can and should be done. 

Luthier eh? There’s a word I’d never heard

You can easily adjust the height of the bridge (action) yourself to suit how you like to play. Strings closer to the fret is easier to do bends and play faster.

Make sure the 12th fret is in tune by adjusting the string length using the individual screws on the bridge.

You could play around with the truss rod but it being a new guitar it's probably OK. If you end up preferring to tune half a step down to Eb then you might need to consider adjusting it due to less string tension.

These are worth a read:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/guitar-setup-part-1-adjusting-the-truss-rod-2/

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/guitar-setup-part-2-setting-action/

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/guitar-setup-part-3-intonation/

dozy dick the dooman

I went to Chris macytyre at Easter rd to set up and dress up the frets on an old sg 2000 best in the area  he s also worked on my Yamaha classical and my freshman electro acoustic  all three jobs were excellent . 

My Epiphone Les Paul Custom, had it since 2004. It shipped with a black pickup selector guard, black control knobs and black pickup surrounds, with gold pickup covers. A few years ago I swapped them for ivory colour and took the gold pickup covers off. Think this looks better!

Over lockdown I rewired it all and put in a new pickup selector switch and new pots.

image1.thumb.jpeg.b06d794643cf4fead530a2581276752d.jpeg

Edited by kila

• 2 weeks later...
been here before
56 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

A guitar for the attention seeker in your life.

Greedy Jambo
18 minutes ago, been here before said:

A guitar for the attention seeker in your life.

As far as can see, you're the only attention seeker on this thread. 

dozy dick the dooman

I recently got a Yamaha guitarele which is a wee short guitar that's like a capo on the 5 th fret which in turn has the same chord shapes as a uke but with the other two stings completing the chord.they cost about 80 notes so it's not a toy. It's a lot of fun  and it's not overbearing for other family members to put up with.     Unlike the mandolin which I get told to go out to hut to play.  If I were to start again I would go for a banjo which I found really easy to master the chords but as the result of neuro surgery the right hand is not that great .its all in the right hand for the banjo so that went .

• 4 months later...