Fever Pitch

bigcoll

Just chanced across this great old book by Nick Hornby. 

Nice to revisit, so much reality in it, and nice to be reminded that for virtually all football fans, it is an experience of overwhelming misery 90% of the time, even for Nick supporting Arsenal. 

One of the best lines was how his Dad, 'whisked me off to white Hart lane where we saw Greaves score four in a 5-1 win, but it was too late, I had already fallen for the team that beat Stoke 1-0 with a penalty rebound.'

It was turned into a reasonable film as well as football films go. Loved the line'bet you're not playing first div football at 50

Well thats the smoking

Its not the smoking its the crapness.

Not seen the film yet, must look it up. To think Hornby is now an established writer and screenwriter, and football gave him his break

1 hour ago, bigdav said:

It was turned into a reasonable film as well as football films go. Loved the line'bet you're not playing first div football at 50

Well thats the smoking

Its not the smoking its the crapness.

Ha! Great film.

I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women: suddenly, inexplicably, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain or disruption it would bring with it.

Also saw Tom Watts - Lofty from Eastenders do the stage show at the festival. Different from the film but good as well. Talked about Gus Ceaser who thought he was destined for stardom at Arsenal and ended up at Airdrie.

SectionDJambo

I remember watching the match and laughing my head off at Kenny Dalglish’s face after the 2nd Arsenal goal.

He had been so happy that Celtic had taken the title from us, so late on, in 1986, not content with just having won the championship with Liverpool. Told us all of his unbridled joy at the turn of events, that greatly disappointed us.

It was fantastic to see similar happen to him and let him feel the same way we did. 

His girlfriend asks him,what do you do in the summer.He replies"boring,sit in the park ,waiting for the next seasons fixtures to get announced"

4 minutes ago, norrie1952 said:

His girlfriend asks him,what do you do in the summer.He replies"boring,sit in the park ,waiting for the next seasons fixtures to get announced"

Like Glastonbury goers. What do you do? Oh fill time between Glastonbury's.

Finlay James

Great film and brilliant book.  I saw the film at the cinema and it took me right back to watching the game and loving seeing Liverpool lose the league on their own patch in such a painful fashion.

Ruth Gemmell, Colin Firth and Mark Strong play the main roles but there's also a good Jambo playing the headteacher in Ken Stott.  Good soundtrack too with songs from The Who and Tim Harding.

Montgomery Brewster
10 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I remember watching the match and laughing my head off at Kenny Dalglish’s face after the 2nd Arsenal goal.

He had been so happy that Celtic had taken the title from us, so late on, in 1986, not content with just having won the championship with Liverpool. Told us all of his unbridled joy at the turn of events, that greatly disappointed us.

It was fantastic to see similar happen to him and let him feel the same way we did. 

Yes karma as they say 

11 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

He's one of the better Tims. Just wish the current cheats would face their Waterloo good and proper