Who inspired you ?

H2

Doing the rounds on Facebook just now nominations for  5 players who inspired you as a young kid.

Here are my five:

image.png.17369e5573dd92b22b755081a8ed0701.png

H.Smith, D.McPherson, W.Kidd, W.Foster, J.Robertson.

If I had to make a player totem pole I'd have some of these characters on it.   I always liked the effort Fozzie put into games, still my favourite player.

Cruickshank, Law, Baxter, Mackay and Bobby Charlton in my case.

Very difficult though to leave out Pele and Eusebio - and Best for that matter.  The latter of course blotted his copybook with his choice of club in one instance.

Went for the UK ones.

Jim Cruickshank was my absolute hero and was my inspiration to be a goalkeeper (not a great one I may add but had my moments ) but I enjoyed playing in that position because of him.

John Findlay

Hearts players. Jim Cruickshank, Donald Ford, Jim Brown, Bobby Prentice and the Buzzbomb.

Others, Pat Jennings, Gordon Banks, Pele, Johann Cruyff, kenny Dalglish, Jimmy Johnstone, Billy Bremner, Denis Law, Asa Hartford( played in the same BB team in Clydebank as my uncle Robert), Clyde Best, always liked him at West Ham.

Henry inspired me to be a GK, well I use that term loosely anyhow. 

Would never have played between the sticks if it hadn't been for watching the big guy.. 

Legend.. 

jambo-in-furness

Hearts players when I first started attending

Gordon Marshall

Davie Holt

John Cummings

Willie Hamilton

Willie Wallace

others 

entire Brazil team of the sixties/seventies.

Paisley Jambo

Johan Cruyff

Willie Gibson

John Robertson

Alex MacDonald and Sandy Jardine

Off topic but Levein and Budge have left me totally  disillusioned. Never felt less connected with the club, management and players.

16 hours ago, AWM said:

Kenny Dalglish

John Robertson

Diego Maradona

John Colquhoun

John Barnes

The same for me but replace Barnes with the great Brazilian of my username. 

andyscott82

Robbo

Crabbe

Kanchelskis

Cantona

Del Piero 

these were the players i looked looked up to and took inspiration from as a youngish pup. 

Boban

Maldini

Colin Cameron

Rudi 

Andriy Shevchenko

Mine just said 5 players who made you love football. Hence rudi inclusion 

I was never a huge football fan when I was younger, I only really started taking a big interest when I was about 11 or 12.  I was absolutely mince at sports when I was younger, and as a result never really bothered that much about them; I was interested, but I would never say I was a fan of a particular team or player.  My parents have never really been that big on sports either, and growing up in a remote village, I never really had the opportunities to play for myself. 

However, round about 2002, I started becoming more interested.  I remember really watching the World Cup with interest, and the years after that were the Arsenal Invincibles and some seriously good Champions League games. I eventually begged my Uncle to take me along to Tynecastle to see it in person, and that's where it all began. 

My main inspirations would be:

Miroslav Klose - still my all time favourite player, outside of Rudi Skacel. 

Lukas Podolski - a partner in crime to Klose. 

Thierry Henry - scored goals for fun in a very entertaining Arsenal side. 

Brazilian Ronaldo - huge name at the time, great player. 

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - loved how a player could be so influential off the bench. 

I've never looked back since those days, and football has well and truly taken over my life. I'm a decent player now, at the grand old age of 28, although I'm better at handball and other sports.  If things had been different, and I'd grown up in a more suitable environment, I probably would have gotten involved at a much younger age. 

feedtheroman2

I don't understand how any Hearts fan can have dalglish, cooper or any ugly sister's player as their inspiration! Seriously!

10 hours ago, jambo-in-furness said:

Hearts players when I first started attending

Gordon Marshall

Davie Holt

John Cummings

Willie Hamilton

Willie Wallace

others 

entire Brazil team of the sixties/seventies.

Could not agree more with your final choice.  There has never been another team remotely close to them.