Summer football

Hagar the Horrible

Hagar the Horrible

Ok with the total lack of meaningful football at the moment, I was just wondering how much our game right now would be worth to the TV and sponsorship.  So perhaps we should test the water,  complete this season albeit delayed, then play next season in full with a gap for the European tournament which we have to endure without ever being involved like the smelly kid during PE when you had to be taught highland dancing.

If we were the only show in town, I think we could write our own cheque on this,  so why don’t we consider summer football as an option for next year, There would be an influx of football tourists from around the UK and perhaps Europe, and with the total lack of sport people are starved of a spectacle, we could get this year and next year played in full, with room for those promotional invite tournaments around the globe.  Do the opposite from what we are doing?  Desperate measures for desperate times

2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Ok with the total lack of meaningful football at the moment, I was just wondering how much our game right now would be worth to the TV and sponsorship.  So perhaps we should test the water,  complete this season albeit delayed, then play next season in full with a gap for the European tournament which we have to endure without ever being involved like the smelly kid during PE when you had to be taught highland dancing.

If we were the only show in town, I think we could write our own cheque on this,  so why don’t we consider summer football as an option for next year, There would be an influx of football tourists from around the UK and perhaps Europe, and with the total lack of sport people are starved of a spectacle, we could get this year and next year played in full, with room for those promotional invite tournaments around the globe.  Do the opposite from what we are doing?  Desperate measures for desperate times

Summer football. Heartily agree! Costs reduced, better pitches, probably producing better football. Ideal for families, absolutely hate the cold and rain throughout most of the winter months.  Love it when we can go out in short sleeves. Television deals would likely be better, without the competition from English football. Have been to games in Spain, France etc. Couldn't beat that with our miserable weather! Bring it on!!

upgotheheads

No thanks, I've got plenty to do in the summer without football, and sometimes it's only football that gets me from week to week in the desperate days of November, December, January, February and March.

Edited by upgotheheads

Just thinking , when the games are decided to go ahead what will the standard be like ! Players will no doubt be keeping fit running , home gyms etc but there will be 22 players on the park without any match fitness , being fit and match fitness is two different things , will they play a few friendly games ....just a thought 🤔

6 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Just what we need...Hand the TV companies more power 

I would be keen to see summer football. 

Improves match day experience as its not baltic, we avoid the inevitable winter shut down thats always about 3 weeks before the really bad weather actually hits. 

Removes us being in direct competition with EPL games for TV time, so arguably makes our product worth more. 

It would need to come with a restructure which assures we only play each time home and away once, no more. So a 16 or 18 team league would be essential. I'd be keen to see us go down to 2 professional leagues, a league of 18 and championship of 16. We don't need as many teams as we have, and the added bonus is a better prize money spread. 

Scottish football could really be something if it wasn't run by morons lacking any capability of vision. 

NaturalOrder74
19 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Ok with the total lack of meaningful football at the moment

I’ll have to stop you right there mate the Belarus league is still business as usual and as entertaining as ever. 

Hagar the Horrible
2 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

I’ll have to stop you right there mate the Belarus league is still business as usual and as entertaining as ever. 

Does that not make my point.  If our game was on during the summer it would be watched bar an exponentially larger viewing audience, and lots more would take a game in?

NaturalOrder74
7 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Does that not make my point.  If our game was on during the summer it would be watched bar an exponentially larger viewing audience, and lots more would take a game in?

I completely agree, I also think that’s one of the weaker reasons why it would be a lot better. Think they might have to do it for one season for this World Cup that’s meant to be happening at winter time so maybe if it’s a success they might just stick with it 

2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

We have got to think a we bit more outside the box to gain additional revenue

SFA/SPFL think outside the box?

Good one.

21 hours ago, sassenach said:

We already already play for 10 months of the year anyway, including playoffs and League Cup.

I'd be up for giving it a go, but I'd want to position the 2 months off so that they weren't over Christmas. Christmas is just the best time for football, and I wouldn't want to lose it.

Curious as to why say Christmas is best time for football ?

Always think the opposite . Weather , money being tight etc

Edited by johnthomas

maroonshrew

As much s personally, I prefer the current setup, I do think there's potential for Scottish football to gain from Summer football. Being the only game on TV has its obvious benefits and I also think it would help the teams in Europe. So often UK sides struggle in tricky away legs against those teams who are already well into their season, just as they've only played a friendly or two. 

BervieJambo

Said it for years... 16 team top league playing from March to mid-December. Better weather, better pitches, better football, better crowds. Now’s the time to do it.