• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• spirt of 98

• been here before

• Walter Payton

gashauskis9

To be fair, I think this was set up before the 80% rule came in.  Many other pubs will go to the wall before the Diggers.  

Few other pubs I like doing this. Unfortunately cant support them all.

57 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

To be fair, I think this was set up before the 80% rule came in.  Many other pubs will go to the wall before the Diggers.  

They were pledged over £1500 today alone, so still looking for support.

They have only reached 34% of their target so far.

I love the romance around the Diggers but the beer is absolute rank, scran ...where?, service debatable and the setting inside really ain't much cop - always seems to be tables of beer getting knocked over like folks never learn. Pre/Post match atmosphere is a sure shot knock out, but I think it rests on its laurels. 

That said, I'll hit them a tenner for the memories. 

been here before

25k seems a fair old whack to be asking for. Where has that figure been conjoured up from?

Was short changed last time I was in but the bar was busy and couldn’t be bothered with the hassle. So I’ve done my bit.

Hope it survives. 

jambogaz1968
9 hours ago, Deodato said:

I love the romance around the Diggers but the beer is absolute rank, scran ...where?, service debatable and the setting inside really ain't much cop - always seems to be tables of beer getting knocked over like folks never learn. Pre/Post match atmosphere is a sure shot knock out, but I think it rests on its laurels. 

Really , what's wrong with the beer ? , also they have the best pub pies in Edinburgh and the are cheap , The Diggers is 100% better than that overpriced shithole (Caley sample rooms) along the road from it .

Edited by jambogaz1968

There will be many many business's that go to the wall due to this, that said those that survive will do so because they have been managed responsibly and followed standard audit/accounting advice to have reserves of 3 months worth of outgoings. I understand not all companies can manage that, especially those that are relatively new but for somewhere like the diggers that has been operating for decades not to have that level of reserves is just irresponsible. I'll happily support any of the pubs around Tynie once football resumes by buying a pint, i'm just not handing over free cash

The Hogfather

I do find it a bit crass when businesses ask for free money at a time when everyone is feeling the effects.

jambogaz1968

Correct , I have supported pubs for years by buying pints , Would they help me if i was struggling .

A nonsense.    

If the business truly believes it will continue to be viable throughout and beyond the closure period then it can access a government backed loan.

Unknown user
28 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

I do find it a bit crass when businesses ask for free money at a time when everyone is feeling the effects.

Yeah, I'm waiting to see where the chips land, this is a huge event we're going through and loads of things will change, businesses and institutions going bust, new ones taking their place.

I'm not that attached to any business except Hearts, so good luck to them but not for me.

Edited by Smithee

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, the general said:

Is it not owned by.a big Edinburgh company?

The pub is owned by Heineken and leased  out, the license holder has recently taken over another struggling pub in town.

Pasquale for King
13 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Absolutely.

Pasquale for King
12 hours ago, Sirudi said:

They were pledged over £1500 today alone, so still looking for support.

They have only reached 34% of their target so far.

As I said the money will be refunded if we don’t need it, currently the staff are being paid the extra 20% to make their wages up.

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, Deodato said:

What beer do you drink?

On match days it’s difficult to do much food apart from the award winning pies and also get out to get glasses from the tables.

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, been here before said:

25k seems a fair old whack to be asking for. Where has that figure been conjoured up from?

I think it was a combination of rent and wages required before furlough, money will be repaid.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, gjcc said:

Was short changed last time I was in but the bar was busy and couldn’t be bothered with the hassle. So I’ve done my bit.

Hope it survives. 

Sorry about that. New prices always confuse things for a wee while.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

There will be many many business's that go to the wall due to this, that said those that survive will do so because they have been managed responsibly and followed standard audit/accounting advice to have reserves of 3 months worth of outgoings. I understand not all companies can manage that, especially those that are relatively new but for somewhere like the diggers that has been operating for decades not to have that level of reserves is just irresponsible. I'll happily support any of the pubs around Tynie once football resumes by buying a pint, i'm just not handing over free cash

I think we will be ok, reserves are usually ploughed back into the business and usually new whiskies.

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, jambogaz1968 said:

Correct , I have supported pubs for years by buying pints , Would they help me if i was struggling .

We had signs up for a few weeks about helping anyone who needed shipping taken up to them or anything we could realistically help with. 

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A nonsense.    

If the business truly believes it will continue to be viable throughout and beyond the closure period then it can access a government backed loan.

It was set up before the loans and furlough schemes were announced, apparently its not that easy to get through to them by phone or email at this point.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Nunya Business said:

I think it was to pay the staff and was set up hurriedly before furlough and loans were mentioned.

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sorry about that. New prices always confuse things for a wee while.

It’s not a problem. It’s easily done and would have been rectified easily. 
(unless it’s now £11-odd for 2 pints of Fosters!)

Spoiler

Serves me right for ordering fosters tbh 🤮

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, gjcc said:

It’s not a problem. It’s easily done and would have been rectified easily. 
(unless it’s now £11-odd for 2 pints of Fosters!)

Hide contents

Serves me right for ordering fosters tbh 🤮

Ffs 🙈

The Hogfather
17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think it was to pay the staff and was set up hurriedly before furlough and loans were mentioned.

They need £25,000 to pay their staff?

Pasquale for King
Just now, Nunya Business said:

They need £25,000 to pay their staff?

Sorry meant to say bills too, rent to Heineken was suspended after that. Staff costs for around three to four months is around that figure and who knows how long we will be closed for. The consensus seems to be that places where folk gather will be last to reopen. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Yeah, I'm waiting to see where the chips land, this is a huge event we're going through and loads of things will change, businesses and institutions going bust, new ones taking their place.

I'm not that attached to any business except Hearts, so good luck to them but not for me.

Fair enough.

Why do the Diggers feel they’re so deserving? What about all the other bars who are in the same position?  

been here before

They mention they have "literally just paid the biggest VAT bill we’ve ever been presented with".

Ill admit I dont know that much about the financial world of pubs and businesses but would the "biggest VAT" bill be on the back of making the 'biggest money' as it were?

7 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Why do the Diggers feel they’re so deserving? What about all the other bars who are in the same position?  

Not sure they are saying that 

Other bars can do and are doing crowd fund too. 
Unfortunately some bars and restaurants etc are not going to survive. Hopefully with the Diggers being a famous Hearts pub it won’t be one of them.

This VAT bill that's been presented.   Has it been paid already or is money being asked for to pay it?   

been here before
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This VAT bill that's been presented.   Has it been paid already or is money being asked for to pay it?   

"just paid"

1 minute ago, been here before said:

"just paid"

Cheers.  Missed that.

Not that just paying the VAT has any bearing on the cashflow.    It is never liquidity that belongs to a business to be used for other purposes.   

56 minutes ago, been here before said:

They mention they have "literally just paid the biggest VAT bill we’ve ever been presented with".

Ill admit I dont know that much about the financial world of pubs and businesses but would the "biggest VAT" bill be on the back of making the 'biggest money' as it were?

Would depend if they’ve had a less than normal amount of vat able outgoings. They charge vat to customers and pay vat to suppliers. 

Edited by GinRummy

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, been here before said:

Yes we’ve had a great few years but alongside that rent has went up, job place pensions, Sky bills up, minimum wage up, prices going up every budget. In short the more you make the more people want from you. We try to keep the prices as low as possible and are continually told to put the prices of whisky up for example. We value our place in the local community and would like to keep that going. 

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Not sure they are saying that 

Other bars can do and are doing crowd fund too. 
Unfortunately some bars and restaurants etc are not going to survive. Hopefully with the Diggers being a famous Hearts pub it won’t be one of them.

Thanks.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Swanny17 said:

We don’t think that at all, everyone is free to crowd fund for whatever their business is and ask regulars to help.

I do feel sorry for small businesses like pubs. They now have ZERO income and still need to pay bills/staff etc.

VAT bill though, That I do not get. Do businesses not know what they will need to pay in VAT and if they don't, then why not? 

Is it because the Govt are slow in presenting bills or are the businesses just burying their heads, kicking things down the road or are they just being mismanaged?

Seriously, I dont know.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I do feel sorry for small businesses like pubs. They now have ZERO income and still need to pay bills/staff etc.

VAT bill though, That I do not get. Do businesses not know what they will need to pay in VAT and if they don't, then why not? 

Is it because the Govt are slow in presenting bills or are the businesses just burying their heads, kicking things down the road or are they just being mismanaged?

Seriously, I dont know.

It’s not my area of expertise but as it’s a huge sum of money not many businesses will have it kicking around, i think he mentioned it to say that because we had just paid we had less in the bank.

He doesn’t need to pay us we could’ve been just furloughed but he’s making up other 20% which we are thankful for.

I think most businesses kick stuff down the road, look at Wetherspoons refusing to pay any debts they have possibly putting breweries out of business. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Walter Payton

Assuming this is RH, I think this must be the most Diggers related work I've ever seen you do :D

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We don’t think that at all, everyone is free to crowd fund for whatever their business is and ask regulars to help.

Being visiting diggers for over 40 years and have donated as I would hate to see it gone.  
I don’t think it is a nonsense or they feel deserving in any way. They have asked for help to survive and it is up to the individual to decide. 
Happy to help, as have many others.

Hope it works out.

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Sirudi said:

Being visiting diggers for over 40 years and have donated as I would hate to see it gone.  
I don’t think it is a nonsense or they feel deserving in any way. They have asked for help to survive and it is up to the individual to decide. 
Happy to help, as have many others.

Hope it works out.

Thanks for that, hopefully see you soon 👍🏽.

Pasquale for King
55 minutes ago, Bring on the Future said:

Assuming this is RH, I think this must be the most Diggers related work I've ever seen you do :D

Outed 😜

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s not my area of expertise but as it’s a huge sum of money not many businesses will have it kicking around, i think he mentioned it to say that because we had just paid we had less in the bank.

He doesn’t need to pay us we could’ve been just furloughed but he’s making up other 20% which we are thankful for.

I think most businesses kick stuff down the road, look at Wetherspoons refusing to pay any debts they have possibly putting breweries out of business. 

I know you say it's not your area, but businesses just collect VAT on behalf of the government and then hand it over. It might be in their bank account but it's not 'their' money. I'm not having a go, it just seems like a strange reason to give when trying to raise funds.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

I know you say it's not your area, but businesses just collect VAT on behalf of the government and then hand it over. It might be in their bank account but it's not 'their' money. I'm not having a go, it just seems like a strange reason to give when trying to raise funds.

Yes but I don’t think any business keeps the money separate or even knows how much the bill is until you get it, it’s also a one off payment. As I said I think the point was that the bank account wasn’t as healthy at that time with no income to pay wages, rent and bills for all that lovely beer that’s been thrown down the drain 😢🤮. We were giving away free pints all night on the Friday we had to close, it was brilliant and the customers were really generous and gave us two rounds of applause. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes but I don’t think any business keeps the money separate or even knows how much the bill is until you get it, it’s also a one off payment. As I said I think the point was that the bank account wasn’t as healthy at that time with no income to pay wages, rent and bills for all that lovely beer that’s been thrown down the drain 😢🤮. We were giving away free pints all night on the Friday we had to close, it was brilliant and the customers were really generous and gave us two rounds of applause. 

Fair enough, I take your point about having to dispose of stock and such like, I hope it all works out.

• davemclaren locked this topic