Souness 2 rule changes opinion

Smoked-Glass

Stupid Sexy Flanders

He says his change to the offside rule would reduce controversy but I don't see how. You would have the exact same arguments about whether someone is on or off. 

The Future's Maroon

I like them both to be fair, can’t stand him though.

upgotheheads

Quite like both ideas. No2 is just logical, there's absolutely no doubt that players are fitter and faster than they've ever been.

Diadora Van Basten

Rule change I would have is to stop the clock when the ball goes out of play and change the time to 60 mins kept by a time keeper.

It is frustrating to have to watch a team waste time and then the ref not add on time like our game v Hamilton with Kevin Clancy.

annushorribilis III

Stop the clock when referees piss about sorting out a wall at free kicks.

Also allow teams to take free kicks- see above - defending teams commit fouls and then get the "advantage " while refs deny attacking teams a quick free kick. 

1 hour ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

He says his change to the offside rule would reduce controversy but I don't see how. You would have the exact same arguments about whether someone is on or off. 

That’s what I was thinking. Most offsides are based on a bawhair. You’d still have to decide if that bawhair was onside.  

Maybe it’s the first impression thing?  A player who’s body looks largely closer to the goal when the ball is played has still got a part of his body looking onside at first glance?  

Rather than instantly flagging for offside the play goes on and the scorer can celebrate.  In that time the VAR check can be done quicker and helps to keep the game flowing better if the decision is confirmed? Feck knows? 😊

Edited by Debut 4

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, BelgeJambo said:

Do away with red cards for scything challenges on Scot Brown

FTFY 😜

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, annushorribilis III said:

Also allow teams to take free kicks- see above - defending teams commit fouls and then get the "advantage " while refs deny attacking teams a quick free kick. 

I think you’re onto something, stop the clock for various reasons like the do in rugby, the last twenty minutes are usually better as subs come on and others tire. 

1 hour ago, annushorribilis III said:

Aye. The clock should be stopped at throw ins and bye kicks also. Maybe the 4th officials duty given how quick the ball comes back into play sometimes?

But how efficiently would Scottish officials be trained on this and execute the new rules as such?  Not very well imo.  There’s a dismissive attitude in our game. 

You see it all the time at Tynie. You get Hamilton’s or A N Other’s goalie wasting time at 0-0 after just 10 or 15 mins deliberately slowing the game because they’d quite happily take the draw, and if they are lucky, the 3 points on a counter. (They’ve done better than that lately mind😬). And refs do feck all.  

Edited by Debut 4

The offside rule change is actually a good one, I would much prefer watching football where that was the rule.  Give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team, rather than the defending team. 

Defending team get enough breaks when it comes to things like "taking one for the team" fouls that happen in just about every game, where a goal is prevented and then the attacking team aren't guaranteed to score from the free kick. Even the new rule change to yellow cards instead of reds for challenges give the defending team better chances. 

Would like to see this trialled, but maybe just not in Scotland, where we have enough issues with the referees implementation of the existing rules. 

3 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Rule change I would have is to stop the clock when the ball goes out of play and change the time to 60 mins kept by a time keeper.

It is frustrating to have to watch a team waste time and then the ref not add on time like our game v Hamilton with Kevin Clancy.

And any time someone suggests this I will chip in with an "I agree wholeheartedly".

Imagine what the score in 2012 could've been - it should've been 11 :lol: 

rudeskaboyuk

I would like to see up to 5 substitutes being able to be used. 

Players are often playing with an injury or players not getting enough game time. 

5 subs would allow teams to use most of their squad without maybe exacerbating strains of they played the whole 90 mins. 

I quite like the first rule, but I would also change the current absurd rule which means that a player can be offside 1 foot over the half way line.  I would put the offside line on the edge of the box.  Way easier to manage, as an assistant referee would be able to hang around there most of the game instead of constantly being out of position and unable to tell whether or not someone is offside.

1 hour ago, rudeskaboyuk said:

I would like to see up to 5 substitutes being able to be used. 

Players are often playing with an injury or players not getting enough game time. 

5 subs would allow teams to use most of their squad without maybe exacerbating strains of they played the whole 90 mins. 

Don't like this idea.  As players tire, spaces open up.  The more substitutes you allow, the more that benefits the wealthier teams.  That's what has happened in rugby - to its detriment.

jamtartan74

Make throw ins where u are able to throw it any way u like, u can get some distance on an underarm throw to set up an attack etc. 

SpruceBringsteen

Was Asa Hartford or someone else from the Triassic not available for comment?

Should adopt the rugby rule when a player goes down injured. The trainer doesn’t need waved on and can run on at any time. Play doesn’t stop whilst he’s being treated. Would soon stop players rolling about for minutes like they’ve been shot. Plus the injured player is only hurting his own team as he’s only taking himself out the game. All these mysterious treatments would take on average 10 seconds and they’d be up jumping around like a spring lamb in no time. How many times have we seen a player eventually having to leave the field and then sprints back on like nothing happened? 

If you can have a ruck or maul within 5 metres of an injured player getting treatment then I fail to see how we need to stop every time a football player goes down. Would stop the theatrics of players like Neymar and managers like popcorn teeth and the pound coin, did it or did it not hit him. Sick of the time wasting cheats in football. 

kingantti1874
14 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

The offside one teams would just sit deeper to cover the striker. 

which would spread the plays .. it’s just another way of saying in order for player to be offside there has to be daylight.. which has been mooted a few times since VAR came in

I actually like the 10 aside idea

Offside?  Just do as they do in athletics and make it the torso.

No longer active

I would update the offside rule as suggested. However with the fewer numbers suggestion, the game especially at grass roots is a participation sport and it’s all about players. To reduce the game to 10 or 9 players each would spoil the grass roots game. And that game needs to be the same as the professional one.

So my suggestion would be to have a 10 minute sin bin for a yellow card. If a team wishes to persistently foul the opposition then perhaps introduce an automatic yellow card for every fifth foul as well. Doing this would force teams to play cleaner and open up space. Also a 10 minute rest rather than a red for last man defence would help avoid those mismatches caused by an early red card. Also teams would not be so hasty to withdraw a forward and replace the red carded defender if they knew in 10 mins they were back to 11 players. Interesting discussion.

44 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Offside?  Just do as they do in athletics and make it the torso.

There's an offside rule in athletics? :interehjrling:

Same as rugby stop the clock when ball goes out of play. 

Would stop time wasting. 

Fans pay to watch 90 minutes football time we got our moneys worth. 

Bunny Munro

Do away with throw ins. It's called football for a reason. Ball is placed on the line and kicked. You should be able to be offside from such a ball. If you want to remove certain advantages then you can say the ball must not be played straight into the 18 yard box. It would also stop people stealing as many yards. 

If the ball hits your hand/arm it's a foul. Don't care about unnatural positions, ball to hand, accidental, or anything, it's a foul. Indirect fee kick given in the 18 box and a penalty given in the 6 yard box. 

Edited by Bunny Munro

Wee ones I'd like to see
1. Goal kicks to be taken from the side the ball went out.Since the change was introduced it just gets used for time wasting

2. Players shielding the ball MUST touch the ball to take possession of it. Otherwise it is just obstruction.

Smoked-Glass
16 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Wee ones I'd like to see
1. Goal kicks to be taken from the side the ball went out.Since the change was introduced it just gets used for time wasting

2. Players shielding the ball MUST touch the ball to take possession of it. Otherwise it is just obstruction.

Steven Pressley would be out of a job if this happend 🙂

Smoked-Glass
5 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Should adopt the rugby rule when a player goes down injured. The trainer doesn’t need waved on and can run on at any time. Play doesn’t stop whilst he’s being treated. Would soon stop players rolling about for minutes like they’ve been shot. Plus the injured player is only hurting his own team as he’s only taking himself out the game. All these mysterious treatments would take on average 10 seconds and they’d be up jumping around like a spring lamb in no time. How many times have we seen a player eventually having to leave the field and then sprints back on like nothing happened? 

If you can have a ruck or maul within 5 metres of an injured player getting treatment then I fail to see how we need to stop every time a football player goes down. Would stop the theatrics of players like Neymar and managers like popcorn teeth and the pound coin, did it or did it not hit him. Sick of the time wasting cheats in football. 

i like this.

also any player holding their face and rolling around instant yellow card.   Never have I ever seen anyone injured this way..i.e. mustard gas double face palm roll around.     I remember the Braga goal keeper doing this in the 1st leg.

airdriejambo3

The need to stop time wasting is great but i dont know why they haven't just went with the logical decision of feet being the body part that dictates a player being offside.

Diadora Van Basten
1 hour ago, airdriejambo3 said:

The need to stop time wasting is great but i dont know why they haven't just went with the logical decision of feet being the body part that dictates a player being offside.

I would agree it should be the feet that decide if a player is off and that way there would be no need for protractors.

13 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

I like this in rugby and it's works, there's greater risk because of the style of tackle in rugby to the physio and they manage fine

I'd also implement a blood bin like rugby. Why should a team be disadvantaged because the opposition injured their player who needs treatment. Let someone come on so it's 11v11.

Stop the clock when it's out of play and play 80mins.

All which will cut out the time wasting and negative styles that hold back the game. So called managing the game when really incompetent officials won't call out cheats. That Hamilton game was an absolute farce. 

Smoked-Glass

Tougher penalties for players like Neymar l.   Refs must be the only people in the universe that can't see what everyone else does 😒

On 07/04/2020 at 21:30, BelgeJambo said:

Do away with red cards for Scot Brown

oh wait 

Belge Jambo, your proposal needs more finesse. 

Stamping on one of Scott Brown's nadgers to gain a bonus point.

Stamp on them both and you get three bonus points. 

Points awarded regardless of win or lose, so you can get humped by the 'Tic yet still be no worse off. 

8 hours ago, Deodato said:

Belge Jambo, your proposal needs more finesse. 

Stamping on one of Scott Brown's nadgers to gain a bonus point.

Stamp on them both and you get three bonus points. 

Points awarded regardless of win or lose, so you can get humped by the 'Tic yet still be no worse off. 

Like that

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'd like to tell Fraser Wishart 9% of his members were being wiped out :)

I would change the "rule" that says that referees must come from Glasgow or Lanarkshire in every game involving one or both of the Ugly sisters, home or away.

Smoked-Glass
2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

I think his offside rule change is brilliant.

simple but effective. 

offside has never been easy or exciting.

btw. how do people do offside in sunday league games where it's just a ref and no linesmen?

1 hour ago, Smoked-Glass said:

simple but effective. 

offside has never been easy or exciting.

btw. how do people do offside in sunday league games where it's just a ref and no linesmen?

The ref guesses.

Half the players think its a great decision.  The other half terrible.

Same as the pro game really......