Good Books 📚

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

What's the best book's these days that you just can't put down, a good Olly read, something with a twist in the tail a story that's got you on the edge of your seat, a good old jackanory 

Any recommendations to fill a few day's / week's during these coronavirus times 

47 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

What's the best book's these days that you just can't put down, a good Olly read, something with a twist in the tail a story that's got you on the edge of your seat, a good old jackanory 

Any recommendations to fill a few day's / week's during these coronavirus times 

Sounds like an xBox exclusive.

Paul Johnston's "Quint Dalrymple" alternative reality neo-noir crime novels are fantastic.

Following a global financial crisis in the late 1990's, the UK and most other nations on earth have broken up into tiny city-states.

Edinburgh is a facist/communist state based on the teachings of Plato.

Private cars are banned.

The Festival is year-round.

Princes St gardens is a racecourse.

The Forth Bridges have all been blown up.

The citizens have free lifelong education and full employment but are strictly controlled.

Against this backdrop we follow the life and strange cases of Quint Dalrymple, formerly a commander in the City Guard and now a private investigator.

The author's been writing this series since 1997 and he's just released the latest one.

Obviously, residents of Embra will get the most out of them but they're cracking good detective novels in their own right too.

1st in the series:51uRpLBy5kL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• 7 months later...
manaliveits105

Shuggie Bain: Shortlisted for the Booker Prize 2020

Just won the Booker prize - about authors upbringing in East End Glasgow- brought up by an alchoholic mother in the 80s - highly recommended by judges 

His next book is to be about two teenage friends in Glasgow on the opposite ends of the sectarian spectrum

Douglas Stuart now lives in New York 

sounds a bit Irvine Welsh 

has anybody read ?

10 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Just won the Booker prize - about authors upbringing in East End Glasgow- brought up by an alchoholic mother in the 80s - highly recommended by judges 

His next book is to be about two teenage friends in Glasgow on the opposite ends of the sectarian spectrum

has anybody read ?

No I haven’t been it seems a really good read about his early life . 

Basically any book by the great Patricia Highsmith who wrote incredible psychological thrillers , in particular “ The talented Mr Ripley “ and it’s sequels . 

been here before
On 07/04/2020 at 19:38, Cade said:

Paul Johnston's "Quint Dalrymple" alternative reality neo-noir crime novels are fantastic.

Following a global financial crisis in the late 1990's, the UK and most other nations on earth have broken up into tiny city-states.

Edinburgh is a facist/communist state based on the teachings of Plato.

Private cars are banned.

The Festival is year-round.

Princes St gardens is a racecourse.

The Forth Bridges have all been blown up.

The citizens have free lifelong education and full employment but are strictly controlled.

Against this backdrop we follow the life and strange cases of Quint Dalrymple, formerly a commander in the City Guard and now a private investigator.

The author's been writing this series since 1997 and he's just released the latest one.

Obviously, residents of Embra will get the most out of them but they're cracking good detective novels in their own right too.

1st in the series:51uRpLBy5kL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Christ I bought that years ago when it first came out. I remember enjoying it, I should really dig it out and read it again.

Just read

Dune by Frank Herbert 8/10

Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami 8/10

Dracula by Bram Stoker 9/10

4 x different books by Joe Abercrombie. Dark, violent, funny fantasy stuff. Currently reading Best Served Cold. All 9 or 10/10.

Just now, ri Alban said:

I liked Andy McNab books about 20 years ago. I might refresh my memory. 

I've read a couple of his recently, really interesting. 

Soldier Spy and I Spy by Tom Marcus are brilliant.

6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've read a couple of his recently, really interesting. 

Soldier Spy and I Spy by Tom Marcus are brilliant.

👍 

I'll check them out, bud. 

Malinga the Swinga
On 20/11/2020 at 09:59, manaliveits105 said:

has anybody read ?

I've read it, only because I got passed a copy for free. 

Honestly, if that one prize, the rest must have been dreadful. 

Shuggie Bain is a turgid hard read, with almost every cliche you can imagine. 

Try to read book every 2 weeks and this is second worst, only Homo Deus beat it. 

Give me John Connolly and his Charlie Parker series any day. The only books I'll pay full price for. 

manaliveits105

Cool I will give it a miss the subject and location didn’t really appeal and when I saw the author interviewed from his New York penthouse where he lives permanently he waffled on about Glasgow being a fabulous place with fabulous people in his posh accent and I thought eh naw

manaliveits105

Pick up a book and the world and it’s troubles disappear whilst you are reading . I read every night before going to sleep helps you relax

on book 3 of James Oswald’s Inspector McLean series which is set in Edinburgh 

Malinga the Swinga

Was in charity book shop in Morningside and then Waterstons yesterday. The amount of top class fiction books available has never been better, imo. 

Thriller books set in Edinburgh, Highland, West of Scotland, anywhere in UK or Europe and US all there at decent prices and the best can transport you into so many settings and bring story alive. 

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Was in charity book shop in Morningside and then Waterstons yesterday. The amount of top class fiction books available has never been better, imo. 

Thriller books set in Edinburgh, Highland, West of Scotland, anywhere in UK or Europe and US all there at decent prices and the best can transport you into so many settings and bring story alive. 

Love looking at books in charity shops. Was in one last week - cancer research - and they have so many donations it was buy one get one free for £1. Got a rebus and a Chris brookmyre. Went to oxfam but they were selling books for 2.99 upwards 

been here before
1 hour ago, LeftBack said:

Love looking at books in charity shops. Was in one last week - cancer research - and they have so many donations it was buy one get one free for £1. Got a rebus and a Chris brookmyre. Went to oxfam but they were selling books for 2.99 upwards 

Fir a charity shop Oxfam can rip the piss with some of their prices for books and vinyl.

3 hours ago, LeftBack said:

I’m lucky in that my local charity shop gets a lot of decent books through it. I tend to buy them and every couple of months hand them back to the same shop, I get a good read and they earn from the book twice. 

I read a lot but especially enjoy Ian Rankin and Peter May. I have read all Andy McNabs books Clancy, and many other American novel authors. Have a library membership, but like everything because of Covid no pleasure going there anymore.

J.T.F.Robertson
23 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I read a lot but especially enjoy Ian Rankin and Peter May. I have read all Andy McNabs books Clancy, and many other American novel authors. Have a library membership, but like everything because of Covid no pleasure going there anymore.

Anything by Greg Iles, Bob. (that's iles)

2 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Yes I have picked up a couple of his books, they are pretty good, haven't had one for a while becuse some new ones by my favorites had come out, Due for a trip to the library next month to get enough to carry me over Christmas and New Year when theres not much on TV.

manaliveits105

Andrey Kurkov books are an enjoyable read - a bit whacky like Louis De Bernier - but set in Ukraine 

Death and the Penguin was my favourite 

I was reading reviews about a book but I forgot the name of it. This woman's *** is a portal to another dimension and he falls in love with a ghost or zombie or what ever it was inside her ***. The reviews said it was funny.

Malinga the Swinga
9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Yep, Rankin and May are decent. My local library never been open since March. Council tax doesn't reduce but the services sure do. 

Got a Baldacci lined up next with about 100 unread books lying around,so plenty reading to see me through winter. 

11 hours ago, Jamhammer said:
Back
  1. 81Wjw6KiI1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  1. 41cgNShR4zL._SS126_.jpg

Fantastic book about three dirt poor brothers who become bank robbers.

You know from the off it won’t end well

Looks like my kinda book.

Next read for me.

I always read one book at a time.

Going to try 3 at a time after I have finished reading my current book.

Anybody else read multiple books at once.

5 hours ago, benny said:

Looks like my kinda book.

Next read for me.

I always read one book at a time.

Going to try 3 at a time after I have finished reading my current book.

Anybody else read multiple books at once.

I used to always have a serious type of book on the go and a more lighthearted or thriller type at the same time to escape to if needed. 

On 21/11/2020 at 21:58, Greedy Jambo said:

Still can't get into reading books, anyone want to tell me what all the fuss is about?

Much rather watch a movie or a tv series on netflix. 

I'm the same. But when I find something, I'm in. 

On 23/11/2020 at 00:01, J.T.F.Robertson said:

43993.jpg

Agreed, this is one of my favourite books.

After looking at this thread I went and had a look at my bookshelves to refresh my memory and spotted a book that I’d forgotten about though it’s a brilliant read. Hollywood Station by Joseph Wambaugh. It’s a procedural type police drama and revolves around the cops of the Hollywood area of LA. Wambaugh is well known for hanging around cop bars and talking to police officers informally to get good stories and anecdotes so the language and black humour is pretty spot on. 

On 21/11/2020 at 17:28, ri Alban said:

I liked Andy McNab books about 20 years ago. I might refresh my memory. 

I used to read them too.

I then read this, where he debunks the whole story. A really good read and enjoyable. About 12 years ago, I read it.

Not read McNab since.:lol:

IMG_20201126_210814.jpg

The Tattooist of Auschwitz,recently finished reading.I Heard You Paint Houses(The film The Irishman was based on this book)finished today.Both very good books to read.

Edited by weegranty

AlphonseCapone
On 07/04/2020 at 17:10, Lovecraft said:

71AB3rXpRzL.jpg

Started the first one a while ago but didn't get into it. Might give it another go. 

AlphonseCapone

Finished a book called Nod recently. Dystopian story where most people in the world can no longer sleep. 

Just started Thirteen, about a serial killer on the jury.