Whiskey, Whisky, Bourbon and the likes.

Greedy Jambo

jambos are go!

In all honesty I have never come across a Scotch in the UK I would not drink. Did once in the USA. Much more fussy about the mixers. Canada Dry I detest

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• ri Alban

• Greedy Jambo

• milky_26

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All roads lead to Gorgie

Anyone who likes a coastal tasting malt without all that peat should check out a Clynelish from Brora. You might need to search online as I haven't seen it in any supermarket though. Cost me about £40 but well worth it.710AQ4CrgOL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.41aad609918b85318510bd83d86b3ef7.jpg

Whisky over ice?

I've heard it said that pouring whisky over ice "bruises the whiskey" what does this mean?

I obviously know it doesn't meat it turns it black and blue!! I've been curious as to it's meaning.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Whisky over ice?

I've heard it said that pouring whisky over ice "bruises the whiskey" what does this mean?

I obviously know it doesn't meat it turns it black and blue!! I've been curious as to it's meaning.

the flavour changes, just as it does when you add water. tip take a single malt try it straight, then add a few drops of water and try it again. also i dont know if the cold of the ice does anything to the flavour

15 hours ago, milky_26 said:

fun fact 70% of caol ila production goes towards making johnny walker

Makes sense as they're both Diageo brands. My Mrs works for them so we get all our whiskies on her allowance!

On 06/04/2020 at 22:57, leginten said:

I actually love the heavily peated Islay whiskies but I know they’re an acquired taste. Lagavulin 16 year old is probably my favourite whisky. A magnificent creation.

Thanks. Glad you enjoy it! :cheers:

20 hours ago, milky_26 said:

the flavour changes, just as it does when you add water. tip take a single malt try it straight, then add a few drops of water and try it again. also i dont know if the cold of the ice does anything to the flavour

I think the ice being cold doesn't allow the flavour to release as much.

That said, I love my whisky "on the rocks".

got these delivered today

Glengoyne Cask Strength (Batch 7)

Glenrothes 10 Year Old (cask 5280) - Dràm Mòr

The GlenDronach 12 Year Old

looking forward to the glengoyne and glendronach, because the bottle is numbered i might wait until the social distancing is over to open the glenrothes one when im with other whisky drinkers

12 hours ago, milky_26 said:

got these delivered today

Glengoyne Cask Strength (Batch 7)

Glenrothes 10 Year Old (cask 5280) - Dràm Mòr

The GlenDronach 12 Year Old

looking forward to the glengoyne and glendronach, because the bottle is numbered i might wait until the social distancing is over to open the glenrothes one when im with other whisky drinkers

I’m a big fan of Glenrothes and GlenDronach. Most Glengoyne, too. But I have a bottle of the cask strength - possibly Batch 5 - and it’s one of the roughest, fieriest whiskies I’ve had. Water doesn’t help either. Unusual for the distillery. Hope you get on better with yours.

Greedy Jambo

I just mixed some Famous Grouse with tap water and red bull...

You can't get any more educated than that. 

Seaside jambo
18 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

I just mixed some Famous Grouse with tap water and red bull...

You can't get any more educated than that. 

Pure class mate , doesn’t matter what you put in it as long as you enjoy 😉 

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Seaside jambo said:

Pure class mate , doesn’t matter what you put in it as long as you enjoy 😉 

It tasted like shite to be fair, but it tasted like that before i added the water and red bull anyway. 

I'm having another go at this Strathisla 12 year old, with a couple of lumps of ice..............

Whisky is the way forward. Drank a bottle of gleann Mors 11yo islay (Lagavulin) matured in a couple of diff casks last few years but finally port... I've probably tasted 1000s of diff whiskies in recent years but that is probably up there with my favourites. Not quite released yet but look out for it. 

Guys I work for released an amazing sherry arran last year. Got a few in pipeline that will be alright. 

Currently drinking loch lomond single malt cause it was on offer in morrisons lol

glynnlondon

Just finished off a Glencadam 15 and now on a Glen Scotia 15 both highly recommended and at well priced at £56 - £58

glynnlondon
7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

😭😭😭😭😭 stop it!

I know mate 😐 but I've taken the opportunity to buy whisky and as a non home drinker it's been a revelation

2 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

I know mate 😐 but I've taken the opportunity to buy whisky and as a non home drinker it's been a revelation

I'm jealous is all, I've tried and I'd dearly love take a whisky.

Love a dram - had a fair few but currently drinking Ledaig 10, can't help it, for all the tens of malts I have had and I am a whisky-lover - it's just one I go back to often.

I know there will be those who hate it, but I love a peaty whisky and this is so smooth, for me it has all the flavour of a Speyside and the smoky flavour of an Islay and I love it. Everyone's taste is different though.

12 minutes ago, Mollo said:

Love a dram - had a fair few but currently drinking Ledaig 10, can't help it, for all the tens of malts I have had and I am a whisky-lover - it's just one I go back to often.

I know there will be those who hate it, but I love a peaty whisky and this is so smooth, for me it has all the flavour of a Speyside and the smoky flavour of an Islay and I love it. Everyone's taste is different though.

ledaig, tried that once, never again

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

ledaig, tried that once, never again

😄 you're not alone there I know plenty that don't like it. Funny things people - I have very similar tasates to my father-in-law, we agree on pretty much 99% of drinks be it whisky, beer, gin. But then there will be malt or a beer that one loves and the other despises!

Some folk out there drink neat Bells though.. 😬

Just now, Mollo said:

😄 you're not alone there I know plenty that don't like it. Funny things people - I have very similar tasates to my father-in-law, we agree on pretty much 99% of drinks be it whisky, beer, gin. But then there will be malt or a beer that one loves and the other despises!

Some folk out there drink neat Bells though.. 😬

that would give me the dry boak.

i didn't like whisky until about 3/4 years ago when i joined friends on a trip to islay to go round all the distilleries. i went for the craic but ended up enjoying some of it. i dont mind a smoky whisky but prefer either speyside or highland whiskies

• 4 weeks later...
Greedy Jambo

I've found myself with an available click and collect slot at asda (unbelievable, i know)

On the list is.... a good bottle of Bourbon. 

So far, the selections are:

1: Maker's Mark £25 down from £32 (70cl)

2: Wild Turkey £23 (70cl)

3: My usual go to but upgraded, Jim Beam white Label £18 (70cl)

Thoughts and views, other selections? 

6 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

I've found myself with an available click and collect slot at asda (unbelievable, i know)

Markers Mark, I like MM46

On 07/04/2020 at 11:40, Pans Jambo said:

Tried various malts and find most of them just too hard to drink. I can appreciate the Island Peaty ones are popular but they're just not for me.

I can drink 3 - 4 Glenkinchie malts and I find them quite agreeable. I found it quite interesting that you can get almost any whisky made in Scotland in theose "world of whisky" shops at airports but you wont find a Glenkinchie there. It's because its such a small distillery. Even though its one of the "classic 6 Scottish malts"  they dont supply the big shops as they cant satisfy the demand which I like as it makes it seem like a more exclusive Scottish single malt. 

The distillery just a couple of miles south of Pencaitland in East Lothian does (or used to do) a cracking wee tour for about a Fiver. You then get to taste 2 -3 different malts and then they give you a fiver off a a bottle if you buy one. Result.

I think they're currently doing up the visitor centre (owned by Diageo) & it'll obviously be shut just now due to Covid-19 but when it's up and running again, I would recommend. Great wee drive into the foothills of East Lothian and a cracking way to spend an hour or so.

Bourbon. Tried Jack D but just gives me the boak. I would like to find one thats good to drink without Coca Cola as thats just a one way trip to either spew up or have chronic heartburn. Any recommendations welcome.

Mrs took me to that distillery tour for my birthday a good few years back. Decent wee tour and you got to taste some cask strength ones afterwords. First you got it neat and then added drops of water to see how the oils broke down and the flavour changed . Those not wanting all the tasters passed them to me and I went home with a ready brek  glow ..happy days.

for my tuppence worth blue label is my favourite but only on really special occasions. 

went to try Johnny walker odyssey once but shat it when it was £80 a nip in the boozer.

anything thats deep and peaty would be my house hawf 

17 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

Makers Mark is a good Bourbon.

Would be my top pick amongst the ones you mentioned.

Nowt wrong with wild turkey either mind you.

For around same price you can get Bulleit Bourbon ,which is  my current favourite.

Did anyone on here ever buy a bottle of the Glorious Hearts limited edition John Robertson whisky that commemorated each of his 271 goals for the club?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm with Leginten. Love the peaty whiskies. Just got a Smokehead from Morrisons which, despite the hipster packaging i a really nice nip.

Penderyn Celt, on offer just now at Tesco is really nice and like a sweety but peaty whisky.

Favourite would be the Laphroaig 10 yo. Much as I liked the Lagavulin 16 the Laphroaig trumps it for me. Ardbeg is good too

15 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I'm with Leginten. Love the peaty whiskies. Just got a Smokehead from Morrisons which, despite the hipster packaging i a really nice nip.

Penderyn Celt, on offer just now at Tesco is really nice and like a sweety but peaty whisky.

Favourite would be the Laphroaig 10 yo. Much as I liked the Lagavulin 16 the Laphroaig trumps it for me. Ardbeg is good too

Not being a whisky lover myself, I started a thread a few years ago asking for tips/suggestions.  I got many helpful replies.

Laphroaig was the one I eventually chose and, although I wouldn’t drink it regularly, thought it really, really nice.

In general though, I think whisky is horrible stuff.

11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Not being a whisky lover myself, I started a thread a few years ago asking for tips/suggestions.  I got many helpful replies.

Laphroaig was the one I eventually chose and, although I wouldn’t drink it regularly, thought it really, really nice.

In general though, I think whisky is horrible stuff.

I dunno how old you are Morgan but I couldn’t drink whisky when I was younger. Only started on it the last couple of years (Mid fifties) after going to a tasting for a laugh 

6 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I dunno how old you are Morgan but I couldn’t drink whisky when I was younger. Only started on it the last couple of years (Mid fifties) after going to a tasting for a laugh 

Hope for me yet then😁

I've been trying to "get" whisky, I've tried loads but I'll keep trying untill I get it.

willie wallace

I am enjoying a bottle of Heaven's Door 

Tennesse bourbon at the moment.

Got it because of the Bob Dylan connection but it is good stuff🤗

Lee_Mellon
18 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

I am enjoying a bottle of Heaven's Door 

Tennesse bourbon at the moment.

Got it because of the Bob Dylan connection but it is good stuff🤗

A cautionary tale especiially for you...

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

I’m 21 (again) JH..

:) 

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Hope for me yet then😁

I've been trying to "get" whisky, I've tried loads but I'll keep trying untill I get it.

That’s the spirit.  :thumbsup:

I've recently been pointed in the direction of a Glenmorangie 14-yo Quinta Rubin which is finished in port casks. Gorgeously rich malt.

219824-big.jpg

Edited by redjambo

Stuart Lyon
1 hour ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

I got given one of these. Scared to open it, needs some sort of occasion I think!

dlmob.non3.jpg

At £150 a bottle on Amazon you bet you'll need an occasion to open it.

willie wallace
9 hours ago, redjambo said:

I've recently been pointed in the direction of a Glenmorangie 14-yo Quinta Rubin which is finished in port casks. Gorgeously rich malt.

219824-big.jpg

If that tastes as good as it looks 😀