Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• ri Alban

• Greedy Jambo

• milky_26

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

joondalupjambo

I rank any of the peaty malts alongside TCP, only good for dabbing on spots :)

Has to be the east coast, in the sherry casks ones for me, Cardhu is a humdinger of a malt.

Also a wee Rusty Nail snifter on the golf course in the winter is the dogs, a real warmer when you get to the 10th tee.

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

What's the best whisky or whiskey? Is there a undisputed world champion?

No, because everybody has different tastes. 

The most expensive rare wisky in the world might taste like dog piss but everyone will rave about it because it's rare. 

They will then watch the queens speech and think everything is wonderful. 

Not really a whisky drinker/house drinker but have been enjoying the odd Caol Ila (Distiller's Edition) on the weekends.

5 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

No, because everybody has different tastes. 

The most expensive rare wisky in the world might taste like dog piss but everyone will rave about it because it's rare. 

They will then watch the queens speech and think everything is wonderful. 

Hey, a boy I used to work with collects whisky. One day, after we finished a re-roof and roughcast job, the labourer and myself were doing the snagging and the guy of the hoose gave us a bottle of chivas. We split it between us, just to wind him up. Feck :rofl: He was nearly greetin' and ragin' at the same time. We were fecking pissing oorsel. I gave mine back to the labourer. Job done.

Edited by ri Alban

Seaside jambo
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

There are whisky awards every year 

the Japanese have won a few recently 

think one o the  whisky with the most awards is glenfiddic  15yr old sorry for spelling 

17 minutes ago, Seaside jambo said:

There are whisky awards every year 

the Japanese have won a few recently 

think one o the  whisky with the most awards is glenfiddic  15yr old sorry for spelling 

I think (but may be wrong) the Japanese bought most of the Scottish distilleries.

Edited by Lovecraft

Now I'm telling you straight off I'm not a whisky guy, but this stuff is probably the nicest I have ever tried.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSF0haQ3HRrS2oLWCOh

Can sometimes get it at the supermarkets for around £30-35

Greedy Jambo
44 minutes ago, redjambo said:

This stuff is a cracker.

sb0854.jpg

Just bring some round man, we can stay 6ft apart. 

Love whisky, hate whisky.

Seriously, there are so many different tastes that some I love and others give me the boak.

best advice I would give is go to a whisky tasting event and try as many as you can. The whisky stramash at surgeons hall is a good one.

Old Poultney is my go to bottle.

Just now, graygo said:

Love whisky, hate whisky.

Seriously, there are so many different tastes that some I love and others give me the boak.

best advice I would give is go to a whisky tasting event and try as many as you can. The whisky stramash at surgeons hall is a good one.

Old Poultney is my go to bottle.

Jack and Victor style. :D

8 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

I'm not usually a spirit drinker but I've been making sure that I've always got a bottle in the house while this Covid - 19 is on the go. 

I like the odd Jim Beam now and again (straight) but there was bugger all left on the shelf so opted for something at the same price.

Famous Grouse, I believe it's Scotland's number 1 selling Whiskey. 

Absolutely disgusting so it is. 

I love scotch whisky and always have a good bottle open from each region. There are also many Scotch style whiskies from overseas. Japan, Sweden, Taiwan and even England! My favourite is Amrut Fusion from India.

If Scotch isn't your thing and the flavour is too harsh, try some Irish whiskey as an easier route in. They're normally triple distilled which smooths them off a bit and they tend to work better with mixers.

All this is my opinion of course - doing your own research is not a chore :)

Like Speyside or Highland malts. Glenfiddich, Dalwhinnie etc

Not a fan of peaty, Islay malts, although partial to a wee black bottle blend on occasion.

J&B my favourite blend.

Just had a look on Amazon, some decent offers on!

redtipsjambo
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Work for a well known whisky company

Our master blender ( who has got some patter) got asked if you had £50000 to spend on whisky what would you buy.

A bottle of our 10 year old and the rest on dancing girls

Sums it up really

8 hours ago, Gershwin said:

Not really a whisky drinker/house drinker but have been enjoying the odd Caol Ila (Distiller's Edition) on the weekends.

fun fact 70% of caol ila production goes towards making johnny walker

2 minutes ago, redtipsjambo said:

Our master blender ( who has got some patter) got asked if you had £50000 to spend on whisky what would you buy.

Sums it up really

i actually agree, was at the glasgow whisky festival in january i had one whisky which was i think a 35 year old that was retailing at around £500 a bottle. was nice but not worth it. i have found up to £60-70 per bottle can make a difference but after that not worth it. yes i do have a 21 year old glengoyne that cost around £100 but i would not go above that for a bottle

9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Bruichladdich is my favourite. Just poured myself one. 

they do some nice stuff, the problem i have with them is they have went all hipster. only employing as tour guides etc younger hipsters. i got this after speaking to a guy in a bar near bruichladdich who knew his stuff expertly but could not get a job there as he was too old. he was late 40s ffs

conn artist

Dont like scottish whisky. Love a bit of bourbon etc.

Got a lot of makers mark, woodford, buffalo trace, bullitt etc. Mostly for making cocktails like sours and old fashioned jut some are nice enough to drink on their own. Jack d if mixing with coke.

Sipping then eagle rare (£35 from waitrose) is fantastic as is blantons (£70). Made by the same distillery if i remember but the eagle is probably nicer. 

Evan William's is also a nice one to sip. Dont think much of Elijah craig as its too medicinal too me and stings the lips.

Edited by conn artist

redtipsjambo
20 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i actually agree, was at the glasgow whisky festival in january i had one whisky which was i think a 35 year old that was retailing at around £500 a bottle. was nice but not worth it. i have found up to £60-70 per bottle can make a difference but after that not worth it. yes i do have a 21 year old glengoyne that cost around £100 but i would not go above that for a bottle

Aye, like you it's diminishing returns for me as well, have tasted, not bought plenty over that price😜

Whisky Fringe is the best one for me but it's hellish to get tickets for, going miss this one for the 1st time in 20 years

Drink Maker’s Mark, Buffalo Trace and Bulleit in my Manhattans and Old Fashioneds - don’t drink bourbon straight.

Monkey shoulder is my favourite blend and for single malts, Speyside and Highland for me. Can’t stand the Islay Malts. Balvenie, Glendronach and Aberlour are my go-to. Although I’ve got a few nice independent bottlings but waiting til we get through this shit before opening them. 

Tried various malts and find most of them just too hard to drink. I can appreciate the Island Peaty ones are popular but they're just not for me.

I can drink 3 - 4 Glenkinchie malts and I find them quite agreeable. I found it quite interesting that you can get almost any whisky made in Scotland in theose "world of whisky" shops at airports but you wont find a Glenkinchie there. It's because its such a small distillery. Even though its one of the "classic 6 Scottish malts"  they dont supply the big shops as they cant satisfy the demand which I like as it makes it seem like a more exclusive Scottish single malt. 

The distillery just a couple of miles south of Pencaitland in East Lothian does (or used to do) a cracking wee tour for about a Fiver. You then get to taste 2 -3 different malts and then they give you a fiver off a a bottle if you buy one. Result.

I think they're currently doing up the visitor centre (owned by Diageo) & it'll obviously be shut just now due to Covid-19 but when it's up and running again, I would recommend. Great wee drive into the foothills of East Lothian and a cracking way to spend an hour or so.

Bourbon. Tried Jack D but just gives me the boak. I would like to find one thats good to drink without Coca Cola as thats just a one way trip to either spew up or have chronic heartburn. Any recommendations welcome.

Edited by Pans Jambo

7 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Bourbon. Tried Jack D but just gives me the boak. I would like to find one thats good to drink without Coca Cola as thats just a one way trip to either spew up or have chronic heartburn. Any recommendations welcome.

Woodford Reserve would be the one I would try, for something that's more or less the same price as JD. Much nicer bourbon, and one that you can drink on it's own.

I was given one of those bourbon advent calendars a few years ago, and discovered a couple of lovely ones from it that I've since bought full bottle sizes of. Blantons Original and Michters Number 1, with Blantons being my favourite bourbon that I've ever tried. Both a lot more expensive than JD or Woodford though, about £50 for Michters on Amazon, and Blantons has gone up in price quite a bit since I first bought it, now >£60.

12 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

I've seen a slice of crispy bacon put into drinks. Ha. 

Can't remember what drink it was. 

I've seen it put into a Bloody Mary a few times. I actually had one in Miami which they called a Meat Mary, with a chunk of smoked pork wrapped in bacon sitting on top of the glass! Didn't really add anything to the drink, but was nice on it's own!

Edited by PortyJambo

Anyone hear of the historical connection between White Horse Whisky, that wonderful paint stripper, which was sold to the Sioux and Cheyenne by a Scots Indian Agent, just prior to the Battle of Little Big Horn (Defeat of Custer en all)?

An alleged Newspaper Header in the Glasgow Herald soon after the battle read as:

WHITE HORSE WHISKY HELPS INDIANS DEFEAT CUSTER AT LITTLE BIG HORN!!!

21 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Woodford Reserve would be the one I would try, for something that's more or less the same price as JD. Much nicer bourbon, and one that you can drink on it's own.

I was given one of those bourbon advent calendars a few years ago, and discovered a couple of lovely ones from it that I've since bought full bottle sizes of. Blantons Original and Michters Number 1, with Blantons being my favourite bourbon that I've ever tried. Both a lot more expensive than JD or Woodford though, about £50 for Michters on Amazon, and Blantons has gone up in price quite a bit since I first bought it, now >£60.

Thanks Porty.

I always thought that like lager in Scotland with Tennents being the number 1 selling brand and its complete dish water, the same would apply to a lot of other drinks like bourbon with Jack Daniels being probably the biggest selling and most famous but also being almost the worst!

alwaysthereinspirit
13 hours ago, milky_26 said:

nae wonder, the phenols in laphroaig are high. stay away from islay whisky unless it is bunnahabhain until you get a taste for peat

Love my Laphroaig but not as much as my Lagavulin 16. Just bought my son in law a bottle of Lagavulin Distillers Edition to wet the babies head of my first Grandchild. Not bad.

I go back and forth between single malt Scotch and American whisk(e)y. Jack Daniels Single Barrel is very nice. About double the price of a regular Jack Daniels. But worth it. No ice for me.

I have a nice collection of single Malts but I'm not a big drinker. Friday/Saturday maybe a wee dram for sipping. More of a cider man.

Aside from the comical name Knobs creek is a good bourbon.

Will happily have JD, jim beam, souther comfort etc without raving about them. I generally quite like bourbons.

Whisky is far broader. The cheap stuff (like famous grouse) is a bit rough.

I like jura. And tobermoray is my favourite.

Ehllhayapeh

Love my whisky. I have a bar in my house. I like islay single malts like Port Charlotte Ardbeg Caol Ila and Laphroig. Partial to Talisker as well.

Also got Gin Tequila (from the town in Jslisco of the same name) Rum, as well as Japanese Whisky (Fujisan) chinese wine (Great Wall) Korean Soju, Beer and some IRN BRU i got when I was home not so long ago.

If i get covid 19 ill be using the limited edition Port Charlotte heavy peated...

Салатные палочки

I bought a bottle of Jim Beam Apple for the apartment while on holiday last month.  Absolutely disgusting.  Struggled through two and left the rest for the maids.  Ended up with a bottle of Smirnoff instead.  

Me and a mate polished off a bottle of Jack Daniels Honey one day a few years ago.  That was the only whiskey/bourbon I liked.  That said we were hungover and really wanted a hair of the dug.  

I can't get into it.  It always looks appealing when you see it on TV. 

crunchy frog
12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Glenfarclas. Close thread.

2 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

I have to say that before I tasted Arran recently, this was the only whisky which made me think "Bloody hell, that is delicious!" the first time I ever tasted it.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

.......his was the only whisky which made me think "Bloody hell, that is delicious!" the first time I ever tasted it.

That's the moment I'm waiting for😥

6 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

Not for me ,its ok like but I prefer a McCallan. I bought a bottle of Tamnavulin ( sherry cask) from the Co-OP really nice and only £22 a bottle, hic!!.

5 hours ago, redtipsjambo said:

Sums it up really

:D

Jambo-Jimbo

I've an unopened bottle of Ballantines Finest Whisky, it's a 75cl bottle which I got either in 1989 or 1990.

I have been sorely tempted to open it the last few nights.

Don't think it's worth anything, so should I open it and drink it or not?

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've an unopened bottle of Ballantines Finest Whisky, it's a 75cl bottle which I got either in 1989 or 1990.

I have been sorely tempted to open it the last few nights.

Don't think it's worth anything, so should I open it and drink it or not?

What is the argument against?

More that a few years ago I used to work for a business that made marking and coding products. One of the items we sold was a sturdy plastic type material that could be over-printed with a standard desktop barcode label printer.

We sold quite a few through a distributor who was well in with the Scottish whisky maturation warehouses and they stapled these barcode printed plastic labels onto the ends of the casks once they had been filled and prior to being stored away on the racks so they could be identified easily by means of a barcode scanner/gun in the years to come. He sold them the scanning guns and the software for the warehouse systems.

Anyway, I visited the maturation plant with him out at Glenmorangie in Broxburn before they moved the bottling halls.

I got talking to one of the operators there and he said that if the customs and excise men visit and ask to see a particular cask thats in storage, then he had to go away and fish it out then present him with it. If he couldn't find it because it had been stored in the wrong place, moved or didn't exist then the company got hit with a £4000 tax bill on the spot for every missing cask.

There's millions of casks of whisky in storage up and down the length of Scotland maturing (approx 20 Million I was told) so the tax take for the UK Gov is in the tens of £BILLIONS (20 million casks would be £80 Bn in revenues).

Finally, I asked about these "special reserve" casks that are bottled and cost a fortune and he said it was usually just 5 or 6 casks that they find at the back of a pile that they don't know about from time to time. They know they are old (could be over 15 years) but don't know what they due to the missing records so they call them "special" something or other and pretend they're a limited edition.

Funny old game.

Edited by Pans Jambo

Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

What is the argument against?

I got the bottle through work, didn't like whisky back then so I gave it to my mother (who did like whisky, usually a lot of whisky), anyway after she died my dad gave me the bottle back. and I've kept it for the last 30 years (for most of those years I forgot about it).

However, it's not worth anything (apart from sentimental reasons), a similar aged bottle sold for £20 not so long ago, nobody else in the family drinks whisky so it's not like anybody else will drink it, my own health is failing and with all of this shit that's going on right now, it just seems that the time has come to open & drink it.

My mother would tell me to get it down my throat, in fact she'd help with polish it off, if she was still around. 😂

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I got the bottle through work, didn't like whisky back then so I gave it to my mother (who did like whisky, usually a lot of whisky), anyway after she died my dad gave me the bottle back. and I've kept it for the last 30 years (for most of those years I forgot about it).

However, it's not worth anything (apart from sentimental reasons), a similar aged bottle sold for £20 not so long ago, nobody else in the family drinks whisky so it's not like anybody else will drink it, my own health is failing and with all of this shit that's going on right now, it just seems that the time has come to open & drink it.

My mother would tell me to get it down my throat, in fact she'd help with polish it off, if she was still around. 😂

The conclusive argument, I would say, J-J. :)

Cairneyhill Jambo

Favourite ones at the moment are Bruichladdich "the Laddie", Dalwhinnie Gold,  Jura, 16 year old Lagavulin, and Talisker Storm.

Not really a fan of blended whiskies but Monkey Shoulder and Bushmills are decent.

My wife bought me a bottle of Port Charlotte Heavily Peated ten year old for my 50th.  At 50%, its not for the faint hearted.  Not really a fan of peaty whiskies and its the only whisky i have to take water with it..

I've never really been into bourbons but some of the ones mentioned previously sound quite nice so will give them a try.

Any suggestions for rum?

Jambo-Jimbo
18 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Favourite ones at the moment are Bruichladdich "the Laddie", Dalwhinnie Gold,  Jura, 16 year old Lagavulin, and Talisker Storm.

Not really a fan of blended whiskies but Monkey Shoulder and Bushmills are decent.

My wife bought me a bottle of Port Charlotte Heavily Peated ten year old for my 50th.  At 50%, its not for the faint hearted.  Not really a fan of peaty whiskies and its the only whisky i have to take water with it..

I've never really been into bourbons but some of the ones mentioned previously sound quite nice so will give them a try.

Any suggestions for rum?

Now that is my spirit of choice.

Havana Club (Cuba) is a must, 7 year old is good.

Flor de Cana (Nicaragua) I also like.

Ron Abuelo 7 yr old (Panama) yum yum

Pyrat (Anguilla) really really nice.

Lots of others but the 4 above are probably my favourites.

Cairneyhill Jambo
20 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Now that is my spirit of choice.

Havana Club (Cuba) is a must, 7 year old is good.

Flor de Cana (Nicaragua) I also like.

Ron Abuelo 7 yr old (Panama) yum yum

Pyrat (Anguilla) really really nice.

Lots of others but the 4 above are probably my favourites.

Thanks, i'll give them a try if i can find them

I've only tried a couple but the only one i liked was a Venezuelan one, Diplimatico Reserva? It was really nice straight over ice.

4 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

That's the moment I'm waiting for😥

Have you tried Bunnahabhain?

That's what I had the first time I tasted it.

1 hour ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Any suggestions for rum?

My sister likes rum and she gets Don Papa.

I think you can only get it in Sainsburys.

18 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Have you tried Bunnahabhain?

That's what I had the first time I tasted it.

I've not tried that no, I might try and buy a few miniatures, that'll be one👍

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Thanks, i'll give them a try if i can find them

I've only tried a couple but the only one i liked was a Venezuelan one, Diplimatico Reserva? It was really nice straight over ice.

Santa Teresa is a half decent Venezuelan rum as well, isn't that dear either.