Whiskey, Whisky, Bourbon and the likes.

Greedy Jambo

Greedy Jambo

I'm not usually a spirit drinker but I've been making sure that I've always got a bottle in the house while this Covid - 19 is on the go. 

I like the odd Jim Beam now and again (straight) but there was bugger all left on the shelf so opted for something at the same price.

Famous Grouse, I believe it's Scotland's number 1 selling Whiskey. 

Absolutely disgusting so it is. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• ri Alban

• Greedy Jambo

• milky_26

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

🤣 I've been trying for years to get to grips with whiskey, I've tried loads of diffirent malts but I'm just not getting it😥

I've tried the blends but they give me the boak.

I do like a bourbon called Buffalo Trace, not tried any others.

Greedy Jambo
10 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

🤣 I've been trying for years to get to grips with whiskey, I've tried loads of diffirent malts but I'm just not getting it😥

I've tried the blends but they give me the boak.

I do like a bourbon called Buffalo Trace, not tried any others.

I'll need to give Buffalo Trace a go. 

The snobs don't seem to like Jim Beam original but say that the more expensive versions are really good, like black label etc. 

I was brought up to think that Jack D was good.. It's really not, better than this god awful whiskey lark though. 

Drinking a Glentauchers from the SMWS at the moment. I drink quite a bit of whisky. Trying to get to know as many single malts as I can. There are a lot of blends I like too.

23 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

I'm not usually a spirit drinker but I've been making sure that I've always got a bottle in the house while this Covid - 19 is on the go. 

I like the odd Jim Beam now and again (straight) but there was bugger all left on the shelf so opted for something at the same price.

Famous Grouse, I believe it's Scotland's number 1 selling Whiskey. 

Absolutely disgusting so it is. 

Whisky(Scotch), Whiskey is Irish.

Dagger Is Back

Woodford Reserve is my top pick. It's £32 a bottle but the supermarkets sometimes take it down to £20. Well worth  a try. Buffalo is decent too

Makers Mark is another good choice

Greedy Jambo
Just now, ri Alban said:

Whisky(Scotch), Whiskey is Irish.

Aye, right enough. I didn't even bother to look at the spelling on this bottle. 

2 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

I'll need to give Buffalo Trace a go. 

The snobs don't seem to like Jim Beam original but say that the more expensive versions are really good, like black label etc. 

I was brought up to think that Jack D was good.. It's really not, better than this god awful whiskey lark though. 

I can get a few sips into a Tamdhu and a 12 year old Strathisla but thats about it.

If I drink Whisky, I'll redecorate the country and remember nothing. I haven't touch the stuff since I was 17. Wreck the hoose juice.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I can get a few sips into a Tamdhu and a 12 year old Strathisla but thats about it.

Strathisla is a really good, uncomplicated whisky if you like them on the slightly sweet and honeyed side. Dangerous stuff - I’d happily sip it all evening.

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If I drink Whisky, I'll redecorate the country and remember nothing. I haven't touch the stuff since I was 17. Wreck the hoose juice.

Ha. Isn't any spirit? 

I'll stick to my tasteless lagers and a wee magners to treat myself haha. 

Just now, leginten said:

Strathisla is a really good, uncomplicated whisky if you like them on the slightly sweet and honeyed side. Dangerous stuff - I’d happily sip it all evening.

I think thats the type I'll get to grips with first, hopefully, I tried a Laphroaig but it was pure TCP!! 

Seaside jambo

I luv my dram  my favourite malt is bowmore the blend would be monkey shoulder and bourbon would be makers mark  

please drink responsibly 🤔

1 minute ago, Space Pirate said:

Ha. Isn't any spirit? 

I'll stick to my tasteless lagers and a wee magners to treat myself haha. 

Cider and Vodka (Tomato juice)for me. 

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

I think thats the type I'll get to grips with first, hopefully, I tried a Laphroaig but it was pure TCP!! 

nae wonder, the phenols in laphroaig are high. stay away from islay whisky unless it is bunnahabhain until you get a taste for peat

2 minutes ago, Seaside jambo said:

I luv my dram  my favourite malt is bowmore the blend would be monkey shoulder and bourbon would be makers mark  

please drink responsibly 🤔

ah monkey shoulder the KGB whisky

Just now, milky_26 said:

nae wonder, the phenols in laphroaig are high. stay away from islay whisky unless it is bunnahabhain until you get a taste for peat

The funny thing is, I work with, in and on peat 90% of the time, the other 10% is spent looking for ways to protect the stuff, if anyone would appreciate an alcoholic drink like whisky you'd think it'd be me!!

Greedy Jambo

Cider and Vodka (Tomato juice)for me. 

I do love a wee Bloody Mary. 

I get one religiously any time i get on a plane for some reason. 

8 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I actually love the heavily peated Islay whiskies but I know they’re an acquired taste. Lagavulin 16 year old is probably my favourite whisky. A magnificent creation.

5 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

I do love a wee Bloody Mary. 

I get one religiously any time i get on a plane for some reason. 

No Worcester sauce. Can't stand the stuff.

Just now, leginten said:

I actually love the heavily peated Islay whiskies but I know they’re an acquired taste. Lagavulin 16 year old is probably my favourite whisky. A magnificent creation.

a couple of years ago a friend passed me his hip flask at the rugby and it was a lagavulin finished in a pedro jimenez cask. a hint of smoke and really nice. i would not have guessed it was a lagavulin

11 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Woodford Reserve is my top pick. It's £32 a bottle but the supermarkets sometimes take it down to £20. Well worth  a try. Buffalo is decent too

Makers Mark is another good choice

Stepson got me a bottle for Xmas a couple of years ago.. Bloody lovely. 

I like Whisky (and its derivative native spellings)  but it doesn't like me.. (Usually can't have more than 4/5 or I will be sick in the morning, no matter how great it tasted.) 

The Woodford went down a treat. Lovely. 

Whisky (etc) is such a breeding for snobbishness these days... If you like it, drink it and drink it how you like it. 

Step daughter got me  ltr of jack  Daniels honey this xmas.. Nice, but s very sweet, actually way prefer normal JD... With proper Coca Cola. Lovely. 

As a blend, Chivas Regal is incredibly nice... 3 or 4 of them with a wee bit ice.. Very pleasant. 

Favourite malt is probably Old Pulteney... Honestly the only whisky I've ever had that the tasting notes were bang on. I don't consider myself to have a great pallet, but Op showed me sometimes tasting notes are right. It's also smooth as silk and can be rank neat no problem. 

Just my two pence worth,.. Dare say others will give you sounder dvise on their experiences but that's mine for what its worth... 

Seaside jambo
6 minutes ago, leginten said:

I agree  a wonderful drink 

Greedy Jambo
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

No Worcester sauce. Can't stand the stuff.

Nah, wee dab of tobasco and stir

4 minutes ago, leginten said:

I can't stand a peaty malt...

I think it stems back to working for Halls in 2000... I was in cooked meats and part of the job was smoking the bacon. The "smoke" was an oil that was heated in the chamber to smoke the meat. 

At my brothers (2nd) stag do I had a Talisker,.. Straight back to halls smoky bacon.. Haven't touched the peat since.. Although I'd like to, I just think the memories are too strong. :( 

2 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

I can't stand a peaty malt...

I think it stems back to working for Halls in 2000... I was in cooked meats and part of the job was smoking the bacon. The "smoke" was an oil that was heated in the chamber to smoke the meat. 

At my brothers (2nd) stag do I had a Talisker,.. Straight back to halls smoky bacon.. Haven't touched the peat since.. Although I'd like to, I just think the memories are too strong. :( 

In the tasting notes for some of the Islay whiskies, bacon is often mentioned.

Dagger Is Back
5 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Stepson got me a bottle for Xmas a couple of years ago.. Bloody lovely. 

I like Whisky (and its derivative native spellings)  but it doesn't like me.. (Usually can't have more than 4/5 or I will be sick in the morning, no matter how great it tasted.) 

The Woodford went down a treat. Lovely. 

Whisky (etc) is such a breeding for snobbishness these days... If you like it, drink it and drink it how you like it. 

Step daughter got me  ltr of jack  Daniels honey this xmas.. Nice, but s very sweet, actually way prefer normal JD... With proper Coca Cola. Lovely. 

As a blend, Chivas Regal is incredibly nice... 3 or 4 of them with a wee bit ice.. Very pleasant. 

Favourite malt is probably Old Pulteney... Honestly the only whisky I've ever had that the tasting notes were bang on. I don't consider myself to have a great pallet, but Op showed me sometimes tasting notes are right. It's also smooth as silk and can be rank neat no problem. 

Just my two pence worth,.. Dare say others will give you sounder dvise on their experiences but that's mine for what its worth... 

Glad you enjoyed the WR. I can't have too much of our national drink as it's like someone has just wiped my brain the next day. My mate worked for a distillery and once cracked open a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label. That was awesome.

JDH gives me a massive hangover if I have more than about 8 - must be the high sugar content! Normal FD or Gentleman Jack are better

Will have to try OP given your recommendation - cheers

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, leginten said:

I've seen a slice of crispy bacon put into drinks. Ha. 

Can't remember what drink it was. 

2 minutes ago, leginten said:

Did you ever watch the programme on BBC Alba about whisky? It was a beautiful series, it went around the 6(iirc) whisky making regions, picked a couple bottles from a couple of distilleries and had 5 or 6 "expert" tasters to give thier views, I found it fascinating. 

Greedy Jambo
7 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Glad you enjoyed the WR. I can't have too much of our national drink as it's like someone has just wiped my brain the next day. My mate worked for a distillery and once cracked open a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label. That was awesome.

JDH gives me a massive hangover if I have more than about 8 - must be the high sugar content! Normal FD or Gentleman Jack are better

Will have to try OP given your recommendation - cheers

I'll have to pick you up on the Gentleman Jack, my mate raved about it being so much better than the normal stuff...

I have to say, there's not much of a difference imo. 

Feck knows how he knows anyway, he mixes it with coke. 

Edited by Space Pirate

Is the Distillery in Northern Ireland the oldest in the world, or did I make that up. Sorry can't mind its name.

Edited by ri Alban

Is the Distillery in Northern Ireland the oldest in the world, or did I make that up. Sorry can't mind its name.

Sounds like you've had a couple of drams!

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Did you ever watch the programme on BBC Alba about whisky? It was a beautiful series, it went around the 6(iirc) whisky making regions, picked a couple bottles from a couple of distilleries and had 5 or 6 "expert" tasters to give thier views, I found it fascinating. 

I must have missed out on that completely, I think. It’s a fascinating subject. I’ve read a few whisky books. There’s a great one about Islay called ‘Peat Smoke and Spirit’.

Seaside jambo
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

They make a valid claim 

but I think it’s quite hard to prove where and when it was first distilled 

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

1 minute ago, Seaside jambo said:

They make a valid claim 

but I think it’s quite hard to prove where and when it was first distilled 

I'm not saying they invented Whisky, just they have a distillery that's the wildest in the world.

I'll need to Google it now.

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Ran oot a cider. So I tanned a bottle of prosecco. :D

fabienleclerq

Bourbon wise I like wild turkey and makers mark. Whisky I just don't seem to like.

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

Bourbon wise I like wild turkey and makers mark. Whisky I just don't seem to like.

I think they might filter it through a pair of tramps socks. 

Pasquale for King

My favourite at the minute is the Isle of Jura Duriachs Own 16 year old. Trying to learn more about them, doing the odd whisky tasting etc. There’s a lot to try and even more to learn. I prefer sweet ones, Sherry casks etc. I like rum too, Morgan’s or Kracken, Dark Matter is nice too. Woods 100 cures a sore throat, might be worth a try.

Edited by Pasquale for King

39 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Sounds good, I'll have to try find it on catch up oryoutube… it'll be somewhere! 

Seaside jambo
33 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'm not saying they invented Whisky, just they have a distillery that's the wildest in the world.

I'll need to Google it now.

Sorry picked it up wrong av had a couple maself 

never been to that one but visited Jameson in Dublin